• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

LegatoB

You're foregoing loot and XP by just targeting the leader, if the game systems remained the same from the first one as I recall.
Forgoing XP, yeah, but for loot-gathering purposes you actually wanna kill the leader ASAP. If the leader flees the battle, you don't get any loot for the fight. So if the roulette FINALLY landed on a new skill/item you want, aim directly for the leader.

I'm a few generations in now. I wish it was a little harder to balance the various limits on your adventuring. The time limit negates the pressure from other mechanics, unless you fluke into a route that leads you pretty deep into a dungeon. Only one run has actually had me start running low on healing items and Technique points to cast healing spells. I need to start drawing maps (quickly, there's a timer) to keep track of routes, what color/kana keys I have and where the matching doors in each dungeons are, etc. The most danger I've had is trying to get one month too many out of my older adventurers and having their max Stamina plummet to critical levels right before I was were going to enter a Feast. Argh.

(I also need to write down a cheat-sheet for what the various stats do until I can keep it in my head.)

LX_Theo

Banned
Played for a couple hours and I'm really digging it so far. The concept is cool and pretty fun. Hopefully it doesn't wear out its welcome

Now confirmed to get an English retail release in Asia:
http://blog.asia.playstation.com/co...english-version-coming-to-ps-vita-on-march-30

Awesome! :)

Since no-one answered last time I asked (although I don't know how many people in this thread played the Jp version):

Does this game require internet connection to be played? I read a while ago, on a thread somewhere here in GAF, that you need to connect to your friends dungeons to unlock certain stuff in future.

Just wondering if that's going to block people from importing because you can't progress otherwise?

pahamrick

Since no-one answered last time I asked (although I don't know how many people in this thread played the Jp version):

Does this game require internet connection to be played? I read a while ago, on a thread somewhere here in GAF, that you need to connect to your friends dungeons to unlock certain stuff in future.

Just wondering if that's going to block people from importing because you can't progress otherwise?

I hope not, as the online stuff doesn't even work for me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

no it is not required. there are online features, but as said before not required for play.

romulus91

can anyone explain what the stat bars during fights represent.....

the red/arm bar is stamina- which is like health?
the blue is for skills?
what is the green heart for?

im confused :p game is beast

Cloudy

Banned
I don't know how you even begin to market this in NA. No wonder they just threw it out there lol. Game is intriguing so far but VERY "Japanese"

Hikami

can anyone explain what the stat bars during fights represent.....

the red/arm bar is stamina- which is like health?
the blue is for skills?
what is the green heart for?

im confused :p game is beast
You can find a better explanation in Kochin's guides thing but, it's something like this;

Basically, if your character's red bar (stamina) drops below a certain percent, the green bar (Vigor) starts going down. If it goes down low enough your character might get sick/tired and actually die earlier than their supposed to. You just have to keep your characters healed so this doesn't happen.
Set this to download last night, and promptly fell asleep, so I didn't get to play. Is there anything major worth knowing before starting?
You're stuck with the first 3 trades (classes) you pick at the beginning of the game for a while so choose wisely. You have to unlock the rest of them by having their scroll drop in dungeons.

Started the game and played up to the first festival. Liking it so far, but not a huge fan of the time constraint. Would've preferred it if a dungeon always took one month regardless of how much time you spent in it.

The game is gorgeous though, and I'm liking the combat.

Trigger

Started the game and played up to the first festival. Liking it so far, but not a huge fan of the time constraint. Would've preferred it if a dungeon always took one month regardless of how much time you spent in it.

I agree completely. I don't feel like I'm making enough progress inside the dungeons because of it.

Can someone explain how exactly Fortunate difficulty works? Is Keen supposed to be the easy difficulty, or is the faster passage of time something that actually makes it harder? The lack of context here is pretty confusing.

Kensuke

I'm a little worried about a few things, which is preventing me from getting it.

Is there much depth to the combat system? From what I've read it sounds like a classic jrpg, but also a bit shallow.

How can you get attached to characters when you're constantly replacing them? I worry I won't care about them at all. Characters are often what keeps me going in these kind of games.

Is there any fanservice/my waifu crap?

I'm tempted, but I'm still not sure if I want to invest time in this with so many other great games coming out soon.

Corpekata

Banned
Thinking of snagging this, have some left over from the Ebay PSN card deal. Trying to decide between this and Brandish. Anyone played both and can give a verdict?

Uthred

Is ther any information on stats floating around? The game tells you to check Collected knowledge but theres nothing there that I can see

I'm a little worried about a few things, which is preventing me from getting it.

Is there much depth to the combat system? From what I've read it sounds like a classic jrpg, but also a bit shallow.

How can you get attached to characters when you're constantly replacing them? I worry I won't care about them at all. Characters are often what keeps me going in these kind of games.

I'm tempted, but I'm still not sure if I want to invest time in this with so many other great games coming out soon.

Not far enough into it to comment on the combat system, its turn based and has frontlines and backlines, dont have enough skills or job types to say much about it.

Its a generational game, like similar games you're supposed to get attached to your clans bloodline and legacy not so much the individuals.

So far there has been zero fan service, but again not super far into it.

Are there any better import sites than Play Asia for this? I live in Japan. A shame we have to wait until the 30th for a retail copy but I'll get it as long as it isn't too expensive. I don't know what countries it will release in but if they have Amazon that could be an option.

What? Why is it just some anthropomorphised ferret girl, instead of an actual ferret. This is far less entertaining an actual talking ferret.

Trigger

I've only played a few hours. It's not terribly deep. I feel like the meat of the game is really raising and managing the clan. I feel like the game is more about preparing for combat than the actual fighting itself.

You spend a decent amount of time with a character before they pass, but this is a completely subjective area. I care for my characters, but they don't have tons of personality either. I feel the kind of attachment one feels for a unit in SRPG honestly. When someone (excluding my first character) passed I felt sadder to have lost a strong asset than a unique character.

No. The goddesses certainly are pretty, but mating is treated pretty business-like. You could favor a certain god, but it's not a dating sim.

Seda

I've only completed the opening sections of the game, but:

The direct combat system isn't too ornate, but in conjunction with the lineage, skill, and time passage systems I don't think it needs to be. There are quite a few unique elements in the game structure so I don't think 'classic' nor 'shallow' would be a good word to describe it.

Your party clan characters don't have any dialogue whatsoever, but there are other characters that play the major narrative roles. There is the character Nueko who becomes playable at some point, but this game seemingly isn't very character driven.

There's basically no fanservice (so far). The clan assistant is a weasel-girl, which might be a design that rubs you the wrong way, but she doesn't do anything weird or creepy.

B_OgXtGVIAA2ILq.jpg

Hikami

Can I go through the entire game letting Kochin do all the planning?
Probably. I'd recommend "decide together" though where you'll still have Kochin's planning but you have several options to pick from.
Kochin kept buying supplies I didnt really need when I left the plan to her so I had to switch over to that other option. She may also waste all your devotion by choosing the most costly god to perform the Rite with. Better to have some control over stuff at least.

As someone who likes to pick "easy" or whatever the lowest difficulty setting is on any given game, I'm a little confused as to what's the optimal choice here. It looks like the "lowest" setting is easier in every way except for speed, which I'm hearing makes it actually pretty annoying.

So, if I want the most comfortable experience, what difficulty do I actually want?

Kensuke

Thanks for the replies. The fact that your party has no dialogue will probably dissuade me from a buy. I ultimately didn't really love Xcom for similar reasons. I might still pick it up down the line, because managing your lineage seems like an interesting mechanic. Is passing down skills a bit like fusing in Persona?

That weasel-girl is well within my tolerance levels. I googled Nueko, she's more in line with what I was talking about.

oreshika2-01.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The fact that your party has no dialogue will probably dissuade me from a buy. I ultimately didn't really love Xcom for similar reasons. I might still pick it up down the line, because managing your lineage seems like an interesting mechanic. Is passing down skills a bit like fusing in Persona?

That weasel-girl is well within my tolerance levels. After googling Nueko seems more offensive to me.

oreshika2-01.jpg

you have a one piece avatar

So what do I have to do against this Giant Crab in the 2nd Abe no Seimei battle? It keeps getting auto revived every time I kill it.

Gyoru

Is anyone else having trouble setting their Posting Settings to Online/PSN (System > Posting Settings)? I get a failed to connect to network error every time. I've tried it on both my Vita and PSTV. It's a pain because I'm supposed to be able to pull a list of expeditions from other players via PSN, but instead I'm stuck with the default offline one with its limited dungeons.

So what do I have to do against this Giant Crab in the 2nd Abe no Seimei battle? It keeps getting auto revived every time I kill it.

It's an unwinnable battle. You need to retreat to continue.

Is anyone else having trouble setting their Posting Settings to Online/PSN (System > Posting Settings)? I get a failed to connect to network error every time. I've tried it on both my Vita and PSTV. It's a pain because I'm supposed to be able to pull a list of expeditions from other players via PSN, but instead I'm stuck with the default offline one with its limited dungeons.

It's an unwinnable battle. You need to retreat to continue.
Damn. I gave up, reloaded an earlier save, and did something else. Now I have to wait a year to do it again, meh.

Shouta

Forgoing XP, yeah, but for loot-gathering purposes you actually wanna kill the leader ASAP. If the leader flees the battle, you don't get any loot for the fight. So if the roulette FINALLY landed on a new skill/item you want, aim directly for the leader.

I'm a few generations in now. I wish it was a little harder to balance the various limits on your adventuring. The time limit negates the pressure from other mechanics, unless you fluke into a route that leads you pretty deep into a dungeon. Only one run has actually had me start running low on healing items and Technique points to cast healing spells. I need to start drawing maps (quickly, there's a timer) to keep track of routes, what color/kana keys I have and where the matching doors in each dungeons are, etc. The most danger I've had is trying to get one month too many out of my older adventurers and having their max Stamina plummet to critical levels right before I was were going to enter a Feast. Argh.

(I also need to write down a cheat-sheet for what the various stats do until I can keep it in my head.)

Yeah, it's been awhile since I played the PSP game so I forgot, lol.

Shizuka

Well, just found out that people shouldn't get this game expecting it to be your run-of-the-mill JRPG. It's completely different and you'll have to get used to lots of things unique to this game.

autoduelist

I haven't played this specific game yet, but in general you will get attached to the bloodline / characters because they represent 'you'. Hmmm... hard to explain --- but think of old school western rpgs with 'blank slate' characters with no dialog -- i get more attached to them because i imagine them exactly as i want them to be. Same here -- you'll become attached to, say, your best warrior, and then when he gets old you'll want to make sure he has a great child so that the legacy can be continues. It's just a different type of attachment than in standard jrpgs where the game provides the dialog/character.

Yeah, and I really dislike the recent boob-explosion Nami and Robin went through. But let's not go off-topic. Seems like the game has very little pervy stuff.

Not sure it has any based on what i've seen? that pic you posted is hardly 'pervy' unless it's pervy to be attracted to bare belly.

Top Bottom