• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

My boyfriend has a $50 balance (converted from former Microsoft Points) dating back to the 360. We don't have an Xbox One and don't plan on getting one (went with PS4 this gen), so he figured he'd pick it up for the 360 using that balance money since he doesn't know what else to spend it on.

But apparently it's not out yet. Is a 360 version even confirmed?

Yes just no date yet. Good chance it'll be 30fps instead of 60fps but that shouldn't matter much. (talking out of my ass, no resolution/framerate details for 360 yet).

For anyone that can't afford it right now, check the giveaway thread. For anyone that can, check anyway. We're trying to go wide with this and buy as many codes as we can to give away as many copies as we can to those that can't budget it right now.

Finished the game's first hour. It is PHENOMENAL! The art, the music, the controls, the first 10 minutes all scream the sign of a masterpiece.

mike4001_

Yes just no date yet. Good chance it'll be 30fps instead of 60fps but that shouldn't matter much. (talking out of my ass, no resolution/framerate details for 360 yet).

For anyone that can't afford it right now, check the giveaway thread. For anyone that can, check anyway. We're trying to go wide with this and buy as many codes as we can to give away as many copies as we can to those that can't budget it right now.

I think Thomas confirmed 720/60 for the xbox 360 version.

But of course there might be other things like scaled down textures or effects or something.

Derpyduck

Banned
My boyfriend has a $50 balance (converted from former Microsoft Points) dating back to the 360. We don't have an Xbox One and don't plan on getting one (went with PS4 this gen), so he figured he'd pick it up for the 360 using that balance money since he doesn't know what else to spend it on.

But apparently it's not out yet. Is a 360 version even confirmed?

How did you manage that? All money converted from the old points system had an expiration date of August 2014.

Well, the first hour has been everything I hoped for. I really like the map stones that you can use to open up the map. It helps me identify whether I want to veer off course to get an upgrade or not.

I've just turned it off after healing the Ginsu Tree, I've got a sprained wrist atm and it's really starting to ache lol.

Is there more than one map? The first one just keeps growing and growing.

I can assure you that I did not finish that section in one try lol.

Took a lot of deaths before I figured it out too. LOL

Funny to see you handle it so differently than I did, though. I love those moments when you think you're done and a shiny projectile of hope shows up at the last second!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If you look at the time on the listing:

Steam & Game Stats Updated: 10 March, 2015 @ 11:10pm

Do we know what timezone that is? Wasn't launched until 12.01am GMT on the 11th, and even if it is US (ET?) it would only have been out for 3 hours~, with no pre-orders which might have affected it as people might not have known it was out earlier in the US, it might not even have been released when that chart went up or at least, seems a bit early to write it off.

Someone else pointed out it was the 2nd highest on top sellers for steam earlier too

Ah maybe that's it. It is second in the top sellers and as of this morning still isn't in the top 100, but only missed it by a few dozen people (1,228 people online vs the 1,274 in the 100th slot).

Microsoft has been pushing the game as an X1 title, understandably, so I'm not surprised. I had to tell a couple of people bemoaning the fact it's an MS game that it's also on the PC.

Yeah, it is a little weird to see a multiplat MS title on day one.

Nice. Any ETA on your xbox one game?

Nothin' to announce yet, hopefully I will later this year. :)

Swangod

Neo Member
The difficulty has me a little scared (I'm not the greatest at platformers), but seeing others experiences on GAF confirmed that I must buy day 1. I'm expecting to get frustrated, put it down, come back to it, get frustrated, come back to it... etc.

Well...this sucks

Got literally stuck inside of a wall in the Ginso Tree level after about 3 and a half hours of playtime...in a mad rush to try and get myself out I did the game save and now I have no way of actually continuing because there's no way out of the glitch...all that time is now wasted and I'll have to start over from the very beginning

RyudBoy

Took a lot of deaths before I figured it out too. LOL

Funny to see you handle it so differently than I did, though. I love those moments when you think you're done and a shiny projectile of hope shows up at the last second!

Yup! There's a great sense of satisfaction when you encounter those moments. The game just controls so well.

Holy shit, that was awesome. I wish I owned an Xbox One. I bought the game on XBL last night in preparation for the day I do, though.

Whoa, that's hardcore. Do what you gotta do though, get that XBone.

Quick question without any spoilers if possible: what's the replay value on this? Anything interesting that opens up or is left to do upon completion? Not that I really mind short games if they're done well (which seems to be the case here), but I'm curious regardless.

RyudBoy

Well...this sucks

Got literally stuck inside of a wall in the Ginso Tree level after about 3 and a half hours of playtime...in a mad rush to try and get myself out I did the game save and now I have no way of actually continuing because there's no way out of the glitch...all that time is now wasted and I'll have to start over from the very beginning

Holy hell that sucks. Are you on XB1? If so, can you upload a clip?

Holy hell that sucks. Are you on XB1? If so, can you upload a clip?

I'm on PC...the best I can do is put a screenshot up

ib0f9O6WkqFK2O.png

the bottom right corner...stuck in a box basically the same size as the character

jrcbandit

Great game, but boy can it be hard, bordering on frustrating even. Especially the dash-move with Y gave me lots of troubles. Just spent the better part of a half an hour getting past
the rushing water in the tree
, just before completing world event 2. I love some challenge, but this almost got the better of me :p

Love all the rest though. The visuals, the music, the level design, puzzels, gameplay. Sublime.

Yeah, the games does have some challenge to it but I felt it was completely fair up until then. I knew what to do during that section, but kept failing for quite a while not being used to the dash move. They should have had a bit more forgiving timing for that section. I didn't have to repeat very much until I got to that part...

Navy Bean

Quick question without any spoilers if possible: what's the replay value on this? Anything interesting that opens up or is left to do upon completion? Not that I really mind short games if they're done well (which seems to be the case here), but I'm curious regardless.

You can go back to levels and open up areas once you acquire more abilities and items. But I don't think there is a new game plus type of deal. Also, I took my time and after 3 hours was only 20% through the game so I don't really think it's a "short" game.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow this game is seriously a work of art. Put about 3 hours into this last night, I don't have a single negative thing to say about it yet tbh. Stunning looking game. I'd definitely say it's the best looking side scroller type of game I've ever seen. It controls as good as it looks too. Music is phenomenal and the story seems very interesting so far. Watched my 8 year old girl and her friend play the prologue before school this morning haha. Dem feels man. This is going to be one of my favorite games of 2015 easily.

RyudBoy

I'm on PC...the best I can do is put a screenshot up

the bottom right corner...stuck in a box basically the same size as the character

lol sorry for laughing but it looks like you overshot the warp thingy and got trapped in that wall. that sucks if you can't find a way out and have to start all over. i'd be pissed, too.

This part is great. I died around 20 times, but I loved every second of it.

Yep, me too!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wow this game is seriously a work of art. Put about 3 hours into this last night, I don't have a single negative thing to say about it yet tbh. Stunning looking game. I'd definitely say it's the best looking side scroller type of game I've ever seen. It controls as good as it looks too. Music is phenomenal and the story seems very interesting so far. Watched my 8 year old girl and her friend play the prologue before school this morning haha. Dem feels man. This is going to be one of my favorite games of 2015 easily.

You're making work hard for me today. I want to get home so bad.

AngryMoth

Trying to play on a bootcamped iMac which has the specs to run this easily I think, but it's crashing real bad on start up every time :(. Anyone else having trouble?

Heigic

Finally got to play and loving the game so far. I got to the Spirit Tree and the next objective is so far away. Time to explore

Hopefully the difficulty picks up in the game soon. Finished about an hour so far and I'm not sold on it. It's beautiful but the game's pretty easy and the combat is... eh.

Kyuur

Alright, I'm not so good at writing up detailed impressions so I'm just going to leave a mini-review! Tried my best to keep it spoiler free, but if you don't want to know anything about this game and are for some reason reading the thread, be warned!

+ As everyone is probably aware, the art and atmosphere is impeccable. Further, the world feels incredibly natural and nothing seems out of the place.
+ The game's narrative is amazing and does not take a backseat to the other elements of the game like many of its brethren in the genre prefer to do. The 'cast' is wonderful.
+ Some sequences provide breathtaking cinematic gameplay that doesn't rely on QTE.
+ Platforming feels perfectly calibrated, on par with the greats (Mario, Super Meat Boy, etc).
+ The resource-based save system is incredibly well implemented. Any large setback is a failure on part of the player, preventing the game from ever feeling 'cheap'.
+ Abilities are perfectly integrated into both traversal of the game world and combat. To me, this is what elevates the game from good to great. Easily the best ability kit in any Metroidvania game I've played. In particular, one unique ability completely changes the way you traverse and deal with enemies.
+ The game does not forget about abilities and you are constantly using them throughout. Only one ability is 'replaced' by another.
+ There are many inventive puzzles that use your abilities. Some areas introduce other mechanics, including what I think is a fairly unique implementation of a standard platforming gimmick. All of them were great.
+ The skill tree is well thought out and each path is clearly designed to help out particular players in its own way.
+ Secrets are well-hidden but not in a 'bash your face into every wall you see' kind of way.
+ The game can be difficult at some points but is fair. Most obstacles can be cleared with a few tries and the save system ensures that you can progress steadily.
+ As you progress,
the world changes around you and your impact is clearly felt.
+ The final area
is a perfect culmination of the skills you developed in the rest of the game, styled similarly to Ocarina of Time's final dungeon. Pure joy to play through.

- The game does have some points of no return, which can be frustrating if you miss something.
- Energy doors are a nuisance and feel majorly out of place in a game with incredibly tight pacing otherwise. They demand a player have a certain amount of resources, and if they don't, they must go back and try to respawn enemies or flowers.
- Some enemies required to progress have weird respawn tendencies if you don't move in the way the game intended.

Ultimately the negatives are minor, if I was going to assign a score it would be a solid 10/10. This game is one of, if the not the best in the genre and has earned a place as an instant classic alongside Super Metroid for me.

For those interested, I completed the game in just under 7 hours. I'm a big fan of these types of games so I am probably on the fast side. I maxed out the combat and efficiency skill trees with a few points into the other one by the end.

Tall Paul

Purchased this whilst on the train excited to get in a start playing and the flippin xbox hadn't started the download...then advert on the console errored so had to do search, downloading now, hope the advert error fixes soon as that will put some people off. hopefully get an hour in before the kids invade.

I purchased the game but it isn't installing...I paused the installation in an attempt to restart it and now it won't resume and it's stuck on "Paused". Any suggestions?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so im about halfway through, great game which started amazing but now 3 hours in im leaning towards "just" great. The sequence
after the water tree
was abysmal in my opinion, especially with collectibles in it (well, xp orbs at least), it really soured me on the game for a few minutes. And checking my progress now and seeing im already 50% done (acording to the game) is a little disapointing, guess the game will be around 6 hours long, and im backtracking for stuff when I get new powers, I reckon someone ignoring that can finish it in like...4?

Seems like $15 / 15€ (btw lol at the usual $=€ bullshit, but thats not on the devs) would be a no brainer, at 20 tho, Im not so sure (I actually thought it was going to be 15). Im still enjoying it, and I still think its a great game, but at this rate it wont reach that super classic status that I thought it would the first hour or so. Of course this is all just my opinion, which is subjective as shit.

Also the game looks unbelievable, but we already know that :p

Tall Paul

I purchased the game but it isn't installing...I paused the installation in an attempt to restart it and now it won't resume and it's stuck on "Paused". Any suggestions?
Hi. Mines very slowly installing at the moment its at 34% but at 1 point the bandwidth tool showed no data was being received so wonder if there are some issues, is yours just not progressing?

Hynad

Banned
Alright, I'm not so good at writing up detailed impressions so I'm just going to leave a mini-review! Tried my best to keep it spoiler free, but if you don't want to know anything about this game and are for some reason reading the thread, be warned!

+ As everyone is probably aware, the art and atmosphere is impeccable. Further, the world feels incredibly natural and nothing seems out of the place.
+ The game's narrative is amazing and does not take a backseat to the other elements of the game like many of its brethren in the genre prefer to do. The 'cast' is wonderful.
+ Some sequences provide breathtaking cinematic gameplay that doesn't rely on QTE.
+ Platforming feels perfectly calibrated, on par with the greats (Mario, Super Meat Boy, etc).
+ The resource-based save system is incredibly well implemented. Any large setback is a failure on part of the player, preventing the game from ever feeling 'cheap'.
+ Abilities are perfectly integrated into both traversal of the game world and combat. To me, this is what elevates the game from good to great. Easily the best ability kit in any Metroidvania game I've played. In particular, one unique ability completely changes the way you traverse and deal with enemies.
+ The game does not forget about abilities and you are constantly using them throughout. Only one ability is 'replaced' by another.
+ There are many inventive puzzles that use your abilities. Some areas introduce other mechanics, including what I think is a fairly unique implementation of a standard platforming gimmick. All of them were great.
+ The skill tree is well thought out and each path is clearly designed to help out particular players in its own way.
+ Secrets are well-hidden but not in a 'bash your face into every wall you see' kind of way.
+ The game can be difficult at some points but is fair. Most obstacles can be cleared with a few tries and the save system ensures that you can progress steadily.
+ As you progress,
the world changes around you and your impact is clearly felt.
+ The final area
is a perfect culmination of the skills you developed in the rest of the game, styled similarly to Ocarina of Time's final dungeon. Pure joy to play through.

- The game does have some points of no return, which can be frustrating if you miss something.
- Energy doors are a nuisance and feel majorly out of place in a game with incredibly tight pacing otherwise. They demand a player have a certain amount of resources, and if they don't, they must go back and try to respawn enemies or flowers.
- Some enemies required to progress have weird respawn tendencies if you don't move in the way the game intended.

Ultimately the negatives are minor, if I was going to assign a score it would be a solid 10/10. This game is one of, if the not the best in the genre and has earned a place as an instant classic alongside Super Metroid for me.

For those interested, I completed the game in just under 7 hours. I'm a big fan of these types of games so I am probably on the fast side. I maxed out the combat and efficiency skill trees with a few points into the other one by the end.

Pretty much in line with my feelings about the game.

One thing about the Energy Doors... Maybe it would have been better if they'd make them open only when you have the proper amount of Energy containers, no matter if they're filled or not? Would have made the player look for that one they missed or overlooked, and it would have prevented the somewhat bothersome trek for respawned flowers.

That's still a very minor complaint, because it in truth it doesn't bother me that much.

The game sure is phenomenal.

Note to those asking if the game gets challenging: Yes, it does! And it's always fair and fun despite the challenge!

Kudos to Moon Studio!

Top Bottom