• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

AngryMoth

Trying to play on a bootcamped iMac which has the specs to run this easily I think, but it's crashing real bad on start up every time :(. Anyone else having trouble?
Ok I tried deleting and redownloading. I've used verified local game cache and it find one file failing validation, says it will be reaquired but I've done it a few more times and it keeps failing. Game still crashes when I launch it.

Any ideas, am I shit out of luck?

Now that my anger about the earlier glitch has died down some I started over long enough to get past the prologue. Now when I play I'll have to make sure that I save often and also make sure I can freely move when I do. I'm just gonna chip away at getting back to where I was.

I just logged on to Steam and immediately had an achievement pop up for completing half of the map. I haven't played since early this morning and uncovered very little of the map.

Truant

How is the X1 version? 1080p/30?

I feel like the X1 controller would be good for this, but I have a pretty old gaming PC with a 360-controller as well. Specs are i7 920, 6Gigs, GTX580.

Nabs

How is the X1 version? 1080p/30?

I feel like the X1 controller would be good for this, but I have a pretty old gaming PC with a 360-controller as well. Specs are i7 920, 6Gigs, GTX580.

It's 1080/60 on X1, unlocked on PC.

You can plug your X1 controller into your PC if you really want.

MaLDo

Though I doubted about the stability and performance of Unity engine, thomas was very explicit and confident about stable framerate in Ori. I bought it on Steam today and I've come home wanting to play it.

Start the game, took control, walk a few meters and when the light of Ori appears on screen there is a hitch in the framerate. I've closed the game and will wait a few patches. I know the framerate hitches drive me away from any experience but unfortunately I am too naive. Sadly I knew it but after a stutter in the first 10 seconds I prefer to leave this wonderful game on standby. I honestly feel ripped off :(

Teggy

OMG I died so many times (33% game done spoilers)
outrunning the rising water
. Amazing relief to get past it.

Same thing happened to my wife. I moved it from my external to the console, rebooted the console and then it worked fine.

I had a crash right after I hit A on the menu last night, but after that it was fine. First time start-ups maybe seem to be an issue.

Good to know it's not just me then.

Haven't played it yet since the crashes, but I'm about to dive in after starting the downloads for episode 3 of Rev 2 and the The Assignment...

I'm guessing that you can swim anyway without buying the breathe under water perk and that's why I keep finding random alcoves with air in them and nothing else?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Though I doubted about the stability and performance of Unity engine, thomas was very explicit and confident about stable framerate in Ori. I bought it on Steam today and I've come home wanting to play it.

Start the game, took control, walk a few meters and when the light of Ori appears on screen there is a hitch in the framerate. I've closed the game and will wait a few patches. I know the framerate hitches drive me away from any experience but unfortunately I am too naive. Sadly I knew it but after a stutter in the first 10 seconds I prefer to leave this wonderful game on standby. I honestly feel ripped off :(

That would suck being so sensitive to a framerate hitch that you won't play a game at all.

drigosr

None of Xbox One Exclusives games has disappointed me so far ...
I'm really happy with my purchase...With Ori I am now more than convinced about it...

I don't know about Playstation 4 exclusives because only my dad owns one and I barely play, but I wish gamers are as happy as I...

Yeah, I'm done with this game for now.

Three crashes in the space of 20 minutes. I hope this can is patched quickly as it's simply not acceptable.

At least I have lots more to play, but it's rather annoying as this was such a hyped game for me, for it to have all these issues is depressing as hell.

Yeah, I'm done with this game for now.

Three crashes in the space of 20 minutes. I hope this can is patched quickly as it's simply not acceptable.

At least I have lots more to play, but it's rather annoying as this was such a hyped game for me, for it to have all these issues is depressing as hell.

That sounds crazy. Are you using an external HDD?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It's always weird when two people with the same hardware can have different experiences with bugs. Didn't have a single issue so far. Unless it's an external drive thing, I'm using the internal.

Hi. Mines very slowly installing at the moment its at 34% but at 1 point the bandwidth tool showed no data was being received so wonder if there are some issues, is yours just not progressing?

A hard reboot fixed mine and it's fully installed, haven't started the game yet though.

Nah, still rocking the internal hard drive.

It's weird. I had issues downloading it last night and now I can't get through a few minutes without a crash to the dashboard. Very annoying.

I loved what few minutes I did get to play, but I can't play any more knowing it could crash at any given moment. I really hope there's already a patch in the works...

Just started the game and got done with the prologue. What a masterful opening.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a surround setup then they are in for a treat. Sounds amazing.

Nah, still rocking the internal hard drive.

It's weird. I had issues downloading it last night and now I can't get through a few minutes without a crash to the dashboard. Very annoying.

I loved what few minutes I did get to play, but I can't play any more knowing it could crash at any given moment. I really hope there's already a patch in the works...

Hmm... I would delete it and try reinstalling.

Whatever you do, DO NOT create a save point by holding down B. Just quit the game, reboot your Xbox and reload your last save.

I had a similar issue last night, stuck inside the map, and accidently created a save. It ruined my game and I had to start over.

nate75

Whatever you do, DO NOT create a save point by holding down B. Just quit the game, reboot your Xbox and reload your last save.

I had a similar issue last night, stuck inside the Mao, and accidebtky created a save. It ruined my game Abd I had to start over.

Damn looks like im restarting LOL no biggie stuff happens :)

TSM

I had a similar issue last night, stuck inside the Mao, and accidebtky created a save. It ruined my game Abd I had to start over.

Yeah, if at any point the collision detection with the ground fails, just take loss and exit the game and restart it. If you manage to save somewhere that you can't escape from you will end up restarting from the beginning on a new save.

I had a similar issue last night, stuck inside the map, and accidently created a save. It ruined my game and I had to start over.

I got stuck myself this morning in an area in the Ginso Tree so I know that feeling all too well. Ori will forever be locked inside a small box for that save file.

Vire

Hey y'all, can anyone with the PC version comment on the performance?

I have a 1.8 GHZ Core i5, 8GB Ram and 1GB Graphics card on my Macbook Air and I'm wondering if that's enough to run this game well.

I'd hate to go through installing Windows bootcamp and buying the game - only to find out it runs like hot poo poo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I am more impressed that they got a game made in Unity to run at 60FPS on the XB1. From what I've seen, the console implementations of the engine so far have been pretty sub par.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The game paused on me twice during cutscenes (as if I pressed the menu button, but I didn't), is that a bug or is it my controller going nuts? (XBO)
I got stuck myself this morning in an area in the Ginso Tree so I know that feeling all too well. Ori will forever be locked inside a small box for that save file.
Damn. 5 hours in and this kind of thing scares me. I'm really enjoying it, but I would not start it over if something like that happened to me.

Karak

I am more impressed that they got a game made in Unity to run at 60FPS on the XB1. From what I've seen, the console implementations of the engine so far have been pretty sub par.

Had some interesting discussions with a good number of devs about just this at GDC. I saw a couple things performing far better than I thought on Unity while there.

VanWinkle

Oh have there already been some Unity games on the current-gen platforms?

And this game is purely 2D, right? Or have my eyes deceived me?

Hey y'all, can anyone with the PC version comment on the performance?

I have a 1.8 GHZ Core i5, 8GB Ram and 1GB Graphics card on my Macbook Air and I'm wondering if that's enough to run this game well.

I'd hate to go through installing Windows bootcamp and buying the game - only to find out it runs like hot poo poo.

Macbook Air has a Intel HD GPU, right?

Nope, but the game requires a good, dedicated GPU. On my integrated GPU it runs with 30-45 FPS but that's not good enough for Ori. The game is optimized for 60 FPS and will run slower if its under 60 FPS.

Tall Paul

Wow. Just got through the opening and the first tree skill wall jump, working my way up the map, the reactions and jumping are spot on, as good as Mario/Rayman legends control wise, early days but enjoying so far, looks stunning, the music us spot on, this game is most certainly art. Now where are my Ori toys!!

The game paused on me twice during cutscenes (as if I pressed the menu button, but I didn't), is that a bug or is it my controller going nuts? (XBO)

Damn. 5 hours in and this kind of thing scares me. I'm really enjoying it, but I would not start it over if something like that happened to me.

Yeah..I was really mad after it happened but I cooled off...just make sure you save in an open area as often as you can and if you ever think you're stuck just exit out

If this game had a system so you could "reset" yourself in case you're stuck like in LittleBigPlanet it would be better

Vire

Macbook Air has a Intel HD GPU, right?

Nope, but the game requires a good, dedicated GPU. On my integrated GPU it runs with 30-45 FPS but that's not good enough for Ori. The game is optimized for 60 FPS and will run slower if its under 60 FPS.

Bummer! Thanks for the honesty though, very much appreciated.

Hmm... I dunno what to do now. I really want to play this :(

MaLDo

You can be impressed while I can't play I game I really want to love. Please someone burn Unity engine down to hell.

Top Bottom