• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Dr Dogg

I think the achievements on Steam might be a little wonkey as I just unlocked the 50% Map Stones and Collected All The Map Stones achievements as well as one for Collecting 200 Shards just by starting the game. I'm only 30 mins in and only got one Map Stone so I doubt that's all of them.

RoKKeR

About to start day 2 of playtime, the soundtrack has been stuck in my head all day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who seriously struggled during the Ginso Tree section. It's a gorgeous and intense sequence that should be challenging, but I think the margin for error is a little too thin here and a few tweaks could be made to make it not quite as punishing on mistakes.

Otherwise I've found the difficulty very appropriate and have welcomed it.

About to start day 2 of playtime, the soundtrack has been stuck in my head all day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who seriously struggled during the Ginso Tree section. It's a gorgeous and intense sequence that should be challenging, but I think the margin for error is a little too thin here and a few tweaks could be made to make it not quite as punishing on mistakes.

It could have used a check point I think.

Rush_Khan

Just started playing. Really nice but sad ending.

Anyway, I'm playing on a PS3 controller. Does anyone know if there are any button mapping mods for PlayStation controllers released yet?

Just remember that the crash at the start screen seems more likely. Stick with it after getting it to work for about 20-30 min and it'll probably be fine.

Yup, just had another crash at the title screen.

Sigh.

I think I'm done for today. Will go back to playing Revelations 2 and come back to this tomorrow. I really don't want to spend any more of my already limited gaming time hoping it doesn't crash...

This game is pissing me off more than I'm enjoying it. I don't like the way the controls feel, the environment still makes the game hard to read and it's only gotten worse as I've progressed, and I've grown to absolutely HATE the save system, especially now that there's an attack tied to the same meter which governs your saves. Also it seems like things sometimes become one hit kills without the game telling you. I swear I had four hits left, but I died in one hit from an enemy.

Feeling like I might have wasted $20. Should've waited for this to drop in price.

shiba5

Good to know it's not just me then.

Haven't played it yet since the crashes, but I'm about to dive in after starting the downloads for episode 3 of Rev 2 and the The Assignment...

Had this happen to me as well. It crashed the first three times I tried to start it so I hard booted my x1. It's worked fine since. Hopefully, this is something the devs will look at.

PSA: If you have your XB1 set to 'instant on' turn that crap off. It causes headaches with too many games.

I just finished my first playthrough.
That ending!!!!

Carm

How do you get to the Misty Wood? I started exploring and go to Hollow Grove but can't enter the place there. Objective is for MW but I don't see anything on the map that connects to it.

Edit: Figured it out

Found a little Triforce easter egg, nice.

Stuck right now and I'm sure I'm missing something right in front of me.
After learning the Stomp to the left of the Map Stone it looks like there is a stone bridge underwater that can be broken by stomping down into the water... but it's not working for me.

I love the Metroid shout out
(zoomers)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Damn, the game really gets tricky at the tree when you get
bash
. It's tough but I never feel frustrated because it's my own fault and once you get it it feels good. I'm gonna end up with like 500+ deaths though LOL.

Damn, the game really gets tricky at the tree when you get
bash
. It's tough but I never feel frustrated because it's my own fault and once you get it it feels good. I'm gonna end up with like 500+ deaths though LOL.

Oh yeah. I'm at like 150 deaths 1/3 through the game.

Osahi

Yeah, the games does have some challenge to it but I felt it was completely fair up until then. I knew what to do during that section, but kept failing for quite a while not being used to the dash move. They should have had a bit more forgiving timing for that section. I didn't have to repeat very much until I got to that part...

Yeag, if they would've put a checkpoint in the middle, it would've been more managable. I got trough though, and idd, failing is never the games fault, just the player sucking at it.

Wasp

In the GameTrailers review they say:

...anyone interested in getting 100% completion may be alarmed to find that you can’t return to completed dungeons...

This seems insane. What do they mean exactly?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Ginso tree for me was only difficult if trying to 100% it. If you just want to get to the top its easy enough.

Love the game so far. Stuck at work so haven't played since last night, but I'm 47% in according to the game and am counting the minutes until I get home to hopefully finish tonight. Beyond the aesthetics, I love the sense of movement and platforming. It's so much fun running and jumping around.

In the GameTrailers review they say:

This seems insane. What do they mean exactly?

There are boss dungeons that are locked away after you complete them.

.la1n

Game is so good, music and art direction combined with tight platforming controls. I look forward to anything these guys do in the future. I was a little hesitant getting into it because I do not have a lot of time to game and don't like to spend it frustrated or wandering aimlessly. I've enjoyed every moment of exploration and any deaths I've had have only encouraged me to do better. It's just great game design.

So, I beat this at 5am. It wasn't exactly what I'd expected, because I've had so much on my mind that I forgot it was a Metroidvania. That said, I quite liked it and enjoyed it more as I progressed.

It's an 8/10

I noticed a frame rate issue, where it would hitch for a second at times. Plus, it crashed once upon loading it up.

That pause thing also happened to me, too. I thought it was my controller, but I guess it's not? It happened once during the first cutscene.

It gets pretty effing difficult later on, but I managed to beat it. I'm not great at these types of games, but did pretty well. Only died 596 times, but maybe 100 or so were intentional so I'd respawn with more health.

Noobcraft

Except for the ridiculous achievements for not dying, finishing in under 3 hours and not using ability points.

Whose idea were they?
Finishing under 3 hours or without using ability points don't seem too bad. I haven't used any ability points yet and I'm past the ginso tree.

wouwie

1366x768 windowed mode seems the highest i can get on my laptop for a somewhat smooth framerate (i7, GT740M). Anything above and the game turns into a slideshow. Fullscreen mode is not an option, which is breaking my heart because running this on a big tv in windowed mode is not doing the game and those amazing graphics justice. Which makes me wonder what i should do: stop until i can enjoy the proper experience or continue. The little i played (after messing with the settings) was amazing though: visually stunning, great soundtrack, good controls and fun gameplay.

Dr Dogg

Talking about dying, I made a wrong turn while exploring and whilst I thought I was on the right path to the objective I was going completely the wrong way. 168 deaths later I final figured that out. I thought the difficulty had jumped up a fair old bit ha!

Okay, so I decided to give it another shot and to my surprise, it worked flawlessly for close to 40 minutes. Not a single crash, which was fantastic.

Some quick impressions.

I love the animation, it's just amazing. I love how Ori struggles to climb up walls after you unlock the wall climb power. I also love the platforming, it's just perfect. It requires a heck of lot of skill based on the little I've played so far.

Some minor complaints, I hate some things are OHK. Some thorn shrubs only take one health orb but others kill you. It's weird. I also don't like how things like levers aren't immediately noticeable. There's one near the beginning that I kept missing as I just couldn't make it out in the scenery, only happened across it after I noticed the on screen pop up.

Also noticed some slow down here and there. Not a big issue, but it's noticeable.

TheKeyPit

Banned
The first minutes of the prologue put a smile on my face like no other game did before and reminded me why I game. Thank you, Moon Studios.

stupid question: If I have ds4 windows installed can I play this game on my ds4? I just downloaded the driver and Im not for sure if it works with all games

Moff

GAF, I think I found a dead end
is there a teleporter skill?
I just cant find a way out of this spot
9AE307A04030C85526D38B4D082838CE112BA085
to the left are only spikes and I cant get up on the top right, my jumps are not high enough, I climbed those walls for 30 minutes now witthout succes, and if course I have a save point down there

GAF, I think I found a dead end
is there a teleporter skill?
I just cant find a way out of this spot

to the left are only spikes and I cant get up on the top right, my jumps are not high enough, I climbed those walls for 30 minutes now witthout succes, and if course I have a save point down there

Move close to the falling rock thing, when it comes down jump on the side of it then jump across to the right as it goes back up.

JonnyKong

Only played about an hour and a half so far. It's really lovely and fun but my god that save system, I just can't handle it. I'm so used to modern games manually saving for me that I just don't think to do it, then I have to repeat annoying enemies grr.

Only played about an hour and a half so far. It's really lovely and fun but my god that save system, I just can't handle it. I'm so used to modern games manually saving for me that I just don't think to do it, then I have to repeat annoying enemies grr.

I'm lucky, I've been playing alien isolation prior to this so the saving thing was already ingrained in my mind.

Top Bottom