• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

that's not the problem, the problem is I cant get past the spikes on the top

You have double jump at this point...right? (I can't remember when you get it)

If you do you wait to do the second jump when you're getting near the spikes..should give you enough distance to make it

shiba5

If that's where I think it is, you have to bounce from the right to the left and then right again. There's a little spot right about the spikes to land on.
But, I think you should have double jump.

Moff

You have double jump at this point...right? (I can't remember when you get it)

If you do you wait to do the second jump when you're getting near the spikes..should give you enough distance to make it

no I don't have the double jump, which is why I think it's a dead end
I got there while getting damaged by spikes, it's doable witthout the double jump but it's probably meant to be done with the double jump

but now I am down there and I don't think I can get up witthout it

If that's where I think it is, you have to bounce from the right to the left and then right again. There's a little spot right about the spikes to land on.

tried that for about 20 minutes now, maybe I am just too old for this

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this on the PC, it looks great but I've got screen tearing out the wazoo and it's driving me nuts. I even turned on forced Vsync in Nvidia control panel, but that didn't do anything. Anyone know of a solution?

Just got this on the PC, it looks great but I've got screen tearing out the wazoo and it's driving me nuts. I even turned on forced Vsync in Nvidia control panel, but that didn't do anything. Anyone know of a solution?

No idea...I use the in-game vsync with no issues

Are you using the dpad or keyboard? Something I've found is a lot of jumps are made easier with the analog stick where they were nearly impossible otherwise. It's probably my only complaint with the game so far.

Vexidus

I got massive tearing when I turned the Vsync off in game as some people suggest to do. It was so bad I turned it back on and haven't had a single tear and there doesn't seem to be frame drops or lag.

You can try running it windowed and see if that helps, others have said that it does.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I got massive tearing when I turned the Vsync off in game as some people suggest to do. It was so bad I turned it back on and haven't had a single tear and there doesn't seem to be frame drops or lag.

You can try running it windowed and see if that helps, others have said that it does.

It doesn't tear when I run it windowed, but I'd rather run it full screen. The tearing is godawful, though.

Nbz

no I don't have the double jump, which is why I think it's a dead end
I got there while getting damaged by spikes, it's doable witthout the double jump but it's probably meant to be done with the double jump

but now I am down there and I don't think I can get up witthout it

tried that for about 20 minutes now, maybe I am just too old for this

Dude, you need to let the big block drop, then hang to the side of it and double jump clean over the spikes!

EDIT: Didn't read everyone elses posts derp, ignore me

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
I've been loving the game and everyone at Moon Studios should be extremely proud...but .. it's just committed the worst sin a game can make. After playing a 4 hour + session it's entirely failed to save my progress.

I exited to the main menu to show my girlfriend the first 10 mins. On going back to my game it's only saved me at 22min in which if I am not mistaken is about when I put my Xbox to sleep.

Isntant resume broke it? Something else? I don't have to go back to a major save point or anything right?

No warning from the game when exiting to menu about unsaved progress.

Bummer.

puebla

I've been loving the game and everyone at Moon Studios should be extremely proud...but .. it's just committed the worst sin a game can make. After playing a 4 hour + session it's entirely failed to save my progress.

I exited to the main menu to show my girlfriend the first 10 mins. On going back to my game it's only saved me at 22min in which if I am not mistaken is about when I put my Xbox to sleep.

Isntant resume broke it? Something else? I don't have to go back to a major save point or anything right?

No warning from the game when exiting to menu about unsaved progress.

Bummer.
Saving the game is supposed to be one of your abilities. It sucks that there's no warning when exiting. I'm currently downloading off steam. The game looks beautiful enough to give it another playthrough though :)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Just got done with about 4 hours. Couldn't put it down. It sucks I have to work. I want to keep playing. This game is fucking incredible. I honestly can't say I've played a better game this gen. I would be lying if I did. Moon Studios may be one of my new favorite game devs. What they made is a masterpiece.

Well, Ori, until tomorrow.

EagleEyes

What an amazing game so far. I'm about 2 hours into it and I already am in love with it. My first GOTY candidate for sure. Well done Moon studios. :)

Anyone managed to get this Energy Cell yet? Does the last ability allow you to break through that wall or am I just missing something?

Wed_Mar_11_19-43-13_EDT_2015.png

Edit: Yeah you need the final ability to get through there.

Bought it and it froze right after pressing "A" on the title screen! LOL After that it was all good. I played about two hours of it and enjoyed it. Such a pretty game too.

def sim

I died in the part with the water shooting up because I was distracted by how pretty it all was. It was a fun little set piece!

puebla

For pc players, should I play with mouse/kb or controller? One ability in particular looked like it'd work better with a mouse.

Nirran

Just finished the game and that was pretty amazing. Really confused though I had all but one health orb collected but it showed up nowhere on my map even though I had the skill unlocked. I couldn't find the last map fragment in
Mount Horu
either. Anyone know where that one was hidden? Searched the place about 3-4 times over and over.

Some bugs though in the game. I had everything but a few of the unlockables in the dungeons that won't let you back in after completing them but yet the achievement for the 50% of secrets never unlocked. Same with the map fragments. Only had one crash and that was in the tree. One major issue I ran into is in the final segment of the game the framerate takes a major hit to the point where I was dying because of it. Way too much going on for the poor Xbox to handle.

Would give it a 9/10 easily though just wish that A. it didn't lock you out of the dungeons when you finish them and B. You could go back and collect stuff after finishing. It locks your save file as completed.

AngryMoth

Ugh I am having a fucking nightmare with steam trying to play this game. At first it was crashing immediately upon launch, so I tried redownloading and validating. Kept getting 1 file invalid with after multiple attempts so went searching for a solution to that problem. Saw multiple suggestions to reinstall steam so tried that and downloaded the game again. Now steam gives a disk write error when I try launch it. So I put another game on download in case that part of my hard drive is fucked up or something and it will get allocated somewhere else when I downloaded it again but still getting a disk write error. Gotta go to bed now, hopefully will have more success tomorrow.

Between this, Bloodborne and Axiom Verge this could be one of the best months for gaming in a long time. What a beautiful piece of work this is.

i don't even want to play; i just want to look and listen.

not that playing isn't fun, but is this not the best screensaver or what?

what a gorgeous game.

Vee_One

Anyone else having problems with this on Steam? I loaded it up and played a bit, alt-tabbed out and it crashed. Now refuses to start and get an error message. Have tried re-installing but no luck. I was running at >1080p

BusterJol

Loving this so far. Love the movement flow. Reminds me of Strider a bit. Really want to see how this game gets with all the abilities.

Yeah, it's beautiful, the music echoes Hisaishi at times, it controls really well, and is pretty satisfying, so far.

I'm well impressed.

Weird thing I noticed though (PC):
The text looks pretty aliased in the main menu. Which is surprising & disappointing because of how good looking the game is.

i was a bit iffy about the manual save mechanic at first, but i think it's kinda neat how you can drop a save point anywhere, and that it's built in as opposed to an automatic checkpoint or menu. maybe i'll feel differently if i need to save somewhere and can't, but so far i think it's interesting.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Interesting glitch. I can no longer jump out of water.

Hopefully deleting and re installing the game fixes this. I have a BAD feeling it wont and ill have to start all over.

Super enjoying the game thus far, just unlocked the fourth skill before I had to head out to film some inserts.
I'm not sure if the soundtrack, or the visuals are the reason (probably both) but whenever I'm playing I cannot help but feel a little melancholy in the best way.
Already have recommended it to numerous friends. I really want to 100% the game and it's achievements but I'm fairly certain "Immortal" will be impossible.

Brigandier

I pretty much can not play this game right now on PC.

As soon as the game starts my character just keeps walking to the left, My keyboard will let me jump but can't move, Using a 360 pad I can move using the d-pad but not the analogue stick, I can only walk slow as soon as I let go of d-pad I just walk to the left again.

Reinstalled the game and tried launching game with mouse/keyboard not plugged in, I have ran out of ideas lol, Anyone else having trouble?.

Think I screwed myself on the explore 100% of the map achievement. Missed a couple little areas in Forlorn Ruins. Really wish it would let you back in there.

Think I screwed myself on the explore 100% of the map achievement. Missed a couple little areas in Forlorn Ruins. Really wish it would let you back in there.

I've just done the same thing. It's really annoying.

How do you get the ability orb in the Valley of Wind that is behind a destructible wall and above a spike pit? You can only access it when you've restored the wind but I don't know how to break the wall?

one thing that's kinda bothering me right now is the blur on the edges of the screen. i turned motion blur off, but it seems like the corners are all fuzzy to focus my view on the center. :/

mindsale

Holy shit the opening of this game ruined me. I can only express it as an equation.

[Simba's father] + [Bambi's mother] x [That codger's wife in Up] / [Littlefoot's mother] = Ori and the Blind Forest's opening.

Seriously any game whose third line of text is
"Ori is orphaned once more"
is not leaving my heartstrings untugged and my tears unjerked.

Edit: Can't wait for the Chopping Onions DLC and the Kleenex microtransactions.

Having to start a second run at least makes it go faster for the areas you've been before...I still hate that a glitch cost me what I did before but oh well...things happen

I don't think I'm that far away from being where I was at before but now I'm being extra careful about saving and making sure I'm not stuck in anything when I do it

Top Bottom