• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

BokehKing

Banned
Two things

A) I should probably see a therapist because I didn't have feels at the beginning

B) what's the best strategy for fighting enemies?

Once they jump at me I kind of just sit there and don't move... I think that's because my gun (let's just call it a gun for side strollers sake) fires in an unorthodox manner.

Maybe I'll get use to it

Deviousx

Started playing the game for 10 minutes and I have already taken 15 screenshots.

This game... this fucking game. Feel trip too strong. :(

I am not really into side scrollers and don't care for "indie" type games at all. I usually never play these type of games.

Took a chance and bough it on X1. Holy shit, this game is fantastic. Feels + addictive gameplay.

this game reminds me of aquaria. it was a similar side-scrolling title that took place underwater. also had a great soundtrack and visuals, although it was mostly on mobile platforms; i think ori is in another league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDIzpzeZtE

I am not really into side scrollers and don't care for "indie" type games at all. I usually never play these type of games.

Took a chance and bough it on X1. Holy shit, this game is fantastic. Feels + addictive gameplay.

yea this is not my kind of game either. the platformers i've played tend to have clunky camera movements and controls with unforgiving and frustrating difficulties. however, the melancholy atmosphere and tone of this game glaze over that, and it's also a lot simpler and straight-forward.

that's not to say it's too easy, but i'm not annoyed when i die. the pacing and learning curve are great so far.

At 15% and the game is fantastic so far... Reminds me so much of playing super metroid for the first time. I guarantee it will e a GOTY contender for me at the end of the year if it doesn't take a nosedive in quality.

on another note - and i don't mean to port beg - i wish this was on the PS4 so i could save and share screenshots easier. way too much of a hassle to go through OneDrive in comparison. i'm passing through
Hollow Grove
and when I got to the part with all the
spider webs
, I had to bust out the selfie stick.

lt519

There's more where that came from! ;)

The triple jump flip just reminds me of 2D Mario as well.

Game is absolutely gorgeous and the music is amazing. It also controls very well as a comfy couch PC gamer with the 360 controller. With my GT 545 and i5-2320 I'm able to get smooth 60fps but only at 720p with Vsync On. For some reason I get horrible screen tearing with Vsync off and that's the only way I can run 1080p. Unfortunately I don't think windowed mode is an option as I'm sitting pretty far away, maybe I'll try it out later.

But otherwise phenomenal so far and can't want to dive in and just destroy it this weekend in a nice play session. Got my 10% teaser in tonight :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
I stared at this for a good five minutes

Screenshot-Original.png

Aeana

The triple jump flip just reminds me of 2D Mario as well.

Game is absolutely gorgeous and the music is amazing. It also controls very well as a comfy couch PC gamer with the 360 controller. With my GT 545 and i5-2320 I'm able to get smooth 60fps but only at 720p with Vsync On. For some reason I get horrible screen tearing with Vsync off and that's the only way I can run 1080p. Unfortunately I don't think windowed mode is an option as I'm sitting pretty far away, maybe I'll try it out later.

But otherwise phenomenal so far and can't want to dive in and just destroy it this weekend in a nice play session. Got my 10% teaser in tonight :)
You can force borderless windowed with this and get fullscreen with the benefits of windowed mode's triple buffering.

Daigoro

this game reminds me of aquaria. it was a similar side-scrolling title that took place underwater. also had a great soundtrack and visuals, although it was mostly on mobile platforms; i think ori is in another league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDIzpzeZtE

yea this is not my kind of game either. platformers tend to be clunky, unforgiving and frustrating. however, the melancholy atmosphere and tone of this game glaze over that, and it's also a lot simpler and straight-forward.

that's not to say it's too easy, but i'm not annoyed when i die. the pacing and learning curve are great so far.

lol what?

Maedhros

My x360 controller can't register the RT button (Steam). So I can't push/pull objects, at all. Pressing shift works, but I won't play the game this way.

Just a headsup: We're currently going through the bug reports and they'll be fixed through a content update that'll be out soon :)

Sorry again for the people here that are affected by issues - we play tested with literally hundreds of people and thought we're totally ready, but once thousands of people start playing...

RoKKeR

Just finished
restoring the Wind at Forlorn Ruins.
Wow, incredible sequence with maybe the best art in the game. Really blew me away how good it looked! And the
escape scene was much more manageable than the Ginso Tree

Right now at 71% with 7 hrs played and I don't want it to end.

I could use a copy (XBONE). I haven't been able to afford a lot of games lately and this sounds interesting.

Wrong thread pal.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This is one of the best, most satisfying games Ive played in years...its just so fucking good in every way.

But yes the difficulty can be a bitch.

Maedhros

Just a headsup: We're currently going through the bug reports and they'll be fixed through a content update that'll be out soon :)

Sorry again for the people here that are affected by issues - we play tested with literally hundreds of people and thought we're totally ready, but once thousands of people start playing...

Pls, fix the controller issue.

And let me say that this game is fantastic, so far! I already knew, from the videos, but seeing it in person really blew my mind! So, so good!

The music is simply fantastic!

Just finished
restoring the Wind at Forlorn Ruins.
Wow, incredible sequence with maybe the best art in the game. Really blew me away how good it looked! And the
escape scene was much more manageable than the Ginso Tree

Right now at 71% with 7 hrs played and I don't want it to end.

Wrong thread pal.

*facepalm*

Daigoro

mostly in regards to the camera movements and landing precisely where i expect. i haven't played many recent ones though so perhaps that's no longer commonplace.

yeah, any platformer worth its salt is going to be precise. any clunky platformer is a bad platformer in general.

Noobcraft

No worries :) the game is awesome. I can't wait to see Moon's future output.

epmode

Characters animate at a lower framerate than background scrolling and special effects, right? Just want to make sure everything's working properly!

I feel really dumb, but how exactly do you do the charge blast attack. I did it once by holding down the LMB when it told me to the first time, but now can never do it again

learning double jump in any game is never not satisfying.

yeah, any platformer worth its salt is going to be precise. any clunky platformer is a bad platformer in general.

i couldn't get into rayman legends because the controls felt slippery to me. this seems tighter and more nuanced.

played for a bit. really dislike this type of music. it sounds like generic disney/jungle type themes with some high pitched lady humming the tunes in the background. not that it is a travesty or poorly composed or anything, just dislike it.

also not a fan of 5 minute openings that don't really give you much control but once the game starts its pretty good. controls are smooth and awesome art/graphics. the save mechanic is interesting and i'm glad its more metroidvania vs. twitch platformer

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Um. Am I supposed to get Kuros feather automatically or grab it after it drops? I'm in the misty woods and its prompting me to use the feather but I don't have it.

What the fuck.

RoKKeR

Um. Am I supposed to get Kuros feather automatically or grab it after it drops? I'm in the misty woods and its prompting me to use the feather but I don't have it.

What the fuck.
Uh, weird, how did that even happen? It lands right in front of you and you need it to progress to the next section... Pretty sure you die otherwise. Did you turn around and go the other way or something?

Top Bottom