• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah, you need to manually pick it up.

Hmmm

Uh, weird, how did that even happen? It lands right in front of you and you need it to progress to the next section... Pretty sure you die otherwise. Did you turn around and go the other way or something?

The game glitched on me when I knocked the rocks down. I believe I glitched through the ground and ended up somewhere I wasn't mean to.

How did you get to the woods w/o it?

The long way.

Izuna

Banned
I WANT THIS GAME SO MUCH

I haven't even played a demo or anything. Just listened to the OST on XBox Music and seen so many screenshots. If my damn Surface Pro charger didn't light itself on fire I would have had the money for this.

I found myself staying up looking at screens. I haven't even seen a review and I am so attracted.

=(

I am 8 years old again.

Does this game run well on an i5 (integrated graphics). If so I may want to grab this for my Steam too later on down the line. This seems like the game I need to help me through bad spells.

Melchior

Game is beautiful and really fun. Unfortunately the
Misty Woods
area was atrocious. I liked the idea and the way the
level changed
but half of the time I was annoyed with getting hit by attacks I couldn't really see or hit spikes I couldn't tell if they were in the foreground or not. I flew right through it though. Now I can enjoy the better parts of the game.

This game is like 47 times better when you get the double jump. The next hour or so of the game after getting it is the most satisfying hour of video games I've had in who knows how long.

God, this game is good.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This game is like 47 times better when you get the double jump. The next hour or so of the game after getting it is the most satisfying hour of video games I've had in who knows how long.

God, this game is good.
Heh, I had the exact same feeling, this game man..

C4Lukins

Game seems to be doing well so far after only a couple of hours.

Looking at some other digital only games that were never free based on my friends list.

Keep in mind this only tracks up to 100 people, and is based on my friends list of 600 people.

Geo Wars 3-100
Minecraft-100
Trials- 100
Child of Light- 90
Sixty Second Shooter- 88
Game of Thrones- 84
Tales From The Borderlands- 73
Valiant Hearts- 69
Ori- 69
Lococycle- 68
The Jackbox Party Pack- 66
Monopoly Plus- 57
The Walking Dead Complete Season 1- 51
Outlast- 48
Threes- 48
Another World-44
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris-44
Nutjitsu-43
Life is Strange- 41
Fibbage- 40
Costume Quest 2- 36
The Wolf Among Us- 35
Zombie Driver- 34
The Walking Dead Season 2- 33
Riptide 2- 32
The Golf Club-31
Tetris Ultimate- 31
Pure Pool- 30
Monopoly Deal- 29
RE Revelations 2- 29 (New Release)
Contrast- 29
Never Alone- 29
The Escapists- 28 (New Release)
RBI Baseball- 26
Defense Grid 2- 26
Kalimba- 26
Stick it to the Man-25
The Legend of Korra- 24
Terraria- 24
How to Survive- 23
Divekick- 21
Trivial Pursuit- 20
Risk-20
Thomas Was Alone- 19
1000 Spikes- 18
Blue Estate- 17 (New Release)
Styx-16
Hand of Fate- 16 (New Release)
Unmechanical- 15
Roundabout-14 (New Release)
Pneuma-14 (New Release)
Zombie Army Trilogy- 14 (New Release)
Shadow Warrior-13
OlliOlli- 12 (New Release)
Castlestorm-11
Funk of Titans- 11
Flockers- 10
Kickbeat- 10
Boom Ball for Kinect- 10
Rabbids Invasion-7
White Night-6 (New Release)
Pier Solar- 6
Shiftlings-4 (New release)

Still working on making it look nice.

Sorry to quote my own post, but Ori has moved up into the top ten and more then doubled the users since that last post.

fardeenah

Banned
i saw my friend play the game and here are a re few things i owuld love to see in the steam version

1. better alt - tab support, everytime he does that it the full screen gets messed up and must be set to full screen again.

2. better / more pc graphics settings like anti aliasing and borderless window

3. fix the occasional frame drops.

this game looks so gorgeous and i played a little until my thumb hurt.

wish i could purchase the game but broke right now

watership

I think I'm near the end. In a very frustrating part

I just placed the Sunstone in Mount Horu, and the Owl is chasing me. There is a section where I can soar via updrafts but I can't survive it. the second I get some air, the owl kills me. I can't figure out how to get past this part. Been on it for the last hour. no joke.

these abilities are fun. combat is a bit dull in the beginning, but once the new stuff opens up, i like how creative the attacks become. does the game have a rolling dodge? that'd make things so much more interesting.

Kiyoshi

I just logged on to Steam and immediately had an achievement pop up for completing half of the map. I haven't played since early this morning and uncovered very little of the map.

Yeah, looks like achievements are bugged. After I played the prologue and logged off, next time I played I had two achievements pop up; one for killing 500 enemies and one for using an ability 200 times which I clearly hadn't done.

man...the bash thing to get propelled off enemies is soooo awkward. Ive gotten shot into thorns so many times. Ive been stuck at the tutorial right after getting it for about 45 minutes. The time u have to move the mouse to get shot in a certain direction is too short.

man...the bash thing to get propelled off enemies is soooo awkward. Ive gotten shot into thorns so many times. Ive been stuck at the tutorial right after getting it for about 45 minutes. The time u have to move the mouse to get shot in a certain direction is too short.

i imagined it'd be easier with a mouse. it's hard to make accurate movements with it on the joystick.

i imagined it'd be easier with a mouse. it's hard to make accurate movements with it on the joystick.

i feel like im just doing it wrong at this point. I literally have less than 2 seconds to aim the direction I want to go. Most of the time I just go flying off to the side into spikes. There was one time where it felt like I had plenty of time to aim it...im not sure if I am doing something differently

Edit: jesus christ, I just realized I have to hold down the button...wtf am I doing. I need to go to bed, its too late for this shit

i feel like im just doing it wrong at this point. I literally have less than 2 seconds to aim the direction I want to go. Most of the time I just go flying off to the side into spikes. There was one time where it felt like I had plenty of time to aim it...im not sure if I am doing something differently

Edit: jesus christ, I just realized I have to hold down the button...wtf am I doing. I need to go to bed, its too late for this shit

lol you can make some interesting chain moves against enemies once you get used to it.

on another note, i just unlocked
climb and glide
and WTF is this newfound sense of freedom?

game changer

I feel like ever since getting
bash
I just skip most enemies. Is that intentional design, or am I playing wrong?

Ori is a peaceful creature, it makes sense that if she can get past an enemy non violently she would. Ori isn't the type to eliminate every adversary in her sight like some sort of Terminator, I think you are playing correctly by skipping past enemies. Let them live. It's weird for such a cute little creature like Ori to obliterate foes like nothing and then absorb their light essence for her own gain in power.

Aikidoka

Uh, can anyone help me? I am playing with a DualShock 4 with DS InputMapper set to emulate the Xbox 360 controller. But, it seems some of the control buttons aren't working properly. Currently, I am trying to grab a Boulder and drag it. The game is prompting me to hold RT, but whenever I press RT it goes straight to the menu.

Is the game bugged?

Moff

Dude, you need to let the big block drop, then hang to the side of it and double jump clean over the spikes!

EDIT: Didn't read everyone elses posts derp, ignore me

thanks for the input guys, but it looks like I have to restart the game
Welp, don't put save spots in locations you can't get out of again

Uh, can anyone help me? I am playing with a DualShock 4 with DS InputMapper set to emulate the Xbox 360 controller. But, it seems some of the control buttons aren't working properly. Currently, I am trying to grab a Boulder and drag it. The game is prompting me to hold RT, but whenever I press RT it goes straight to the menu.

Is the game bugged?

I had issues with the ps4 controller too. I went with 360 after struggling to get it working.

Can you guys try to use the dual shock with one of the 360 input layers? That should do the trick for you for now.

I sent your posts to our tech team, we'll address that with the first content update.

Nabs

Is the game bugged?

It seems like that program isn't hiding the DS4 properly.

So yeah I just spent all day playing this and completed it. What an absolutely fantastic game. Everything about it just made me love gaming so much more. I can't even give a word to describe it, maybe Magical. Moon Studios has done a damn good job and I'll gladly support them in the future. Wow.

This is really a great game and love the music. If this was only xbox one exclusive then I would have bought it only for this game in future . Fortunately it's in pc so looking forward to giveaway to play this as I can't afford anything right now. But will buy this game in future if I don't win giveaway. Hoping I'll win giveaway so I can play this great game soon rather waiting.

IbukiLordSA

Put a few hours into the game last night and it is just superb, what a fantastic game. I love everything about it and am thoroughly enjoying it. So much being conveyed by expression and music alone, very few games do that and it's such a shame.

Can't wait to get off work and play some more of this piece of perfection.

finalflame

Game looks really good, looking forward to playing it. Any deals on this for PC right now? I'd like to pick it up, but will probably only do so once it reaches <$10, which considering the initial price point and availability on PC should be quite quick.

mike4001_

@thomasmahler

I have some problems with suspend & resume. Can you maybe let your guy look at that ?

Every time the game is running and in turn my xbox off and on again and then try to resume my game:

I only see a black screen. the Ori music is running and every second I see the game for 1-2 frames and then it goes to black again. So the picture is just flickering.

I then close the game from the dashboard, load it up again and everything is fine until I put my xbox into standby.

Playing on Xbox 1, game is installed on an external HDD.

Thanks

Nirran

I think I'm near the end. In a very frustrating part

I just placed the Sunstone in Mount Horu, and the Owl is chasing me. There is a section where I can soar via updrafts but I can't survive it. the second I get some air, the owl kills me. I can't figure out how to get past this part. Been on it for the last hour. no joke.

This part took me forever. Pretty much as soon as you take the updraft. to the right a little bit is an area you can hide in. He'll fly past and you can continue past. That's pretty much the end of that section. It's a real pain.

@thomasmahler

I have some problems with suspend & resume. Can you maybe let your guy look at that ?

Every time the game is running and in turn my xbox off and on again and then try to resume my game:

I only see a black screen. the Ori music is running and every second I see the game for 1-2 frames and then it goes to black again. So the picture is just flickering.

I then close the game from the dashboard, load it up again and everything is fine until I put my xbox into standby.

Playing on Xbox 1, game is installed on an external HDD.

Thanks

That's the issue the guys at Kotaku were pointing out - We can't do anything about this issue, but it'll be fixed with the April OS update. Microsoft sent us this statement:

'We have identified a conflict between 'Ori and the Blind Forest' and the Xbox One's 'instant on' feature. We are working to resolve the conflict in an upcoming update. In the meantime, we recommend players fully quit out of the game and restart, rather than resuming their game quickly. There is no need to uninstall and reinstall the game.'

mike4001_

Ok, thank you for your quick response and the information from MS.

(I thought the Kotaku article was talking about problems when you just "minimized" the game ....).

I will keep playing nontheless.

Just aquired the double jump :D

Kiyo

Is the game bugged?

You need to put your ds4 into exclusive mode in your DS4Windows. This happens for me when I try connecting the controller after starting the game instead of before.

OhCrapItsJeremy

Neo Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to edit your save file in Ori? I was doing the air smash onto a pillar and I somehow clipped through the floor into the his little space where I can't leave. I can't die. And, in my desperation, I saved the game in that little space that I'm stuck in.

Any advice?

Moff

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit your save file in Ori? I was doing the air smash onto a pillar and I somehow clipped through the floor into the his little space where I can't leave. I can't die. And, in my desperation, I saved the game in that little space that I'm stuck in.

Any advice?

I got stuck too and would like to have an ability to teleport to a save station, too.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just finished the game. Best thing I've played this year and easily my favorite "metroidvania" title. I'm usually not a big fan of these games, but I love platforming, and this one has a lot of that. Admittedly, I did not like fighting the enemies, they were hella annoying.

Aikidoka

You need to put your ds4 into exclusive mode in your DS4Windows. This happens for me when I try connecting the controller after starting the game instead of before.

Thanks, that was it.

The gameplay has so far been really great. Story is kind of weak but maybe it'll make more sense as the game continues (i'm not very far). The prologue ending seemed a tad bit weak but maybe I'm missing something -
why would Naru starve to death when Ori can easily climb and get food? Is Ori really that much of an asshole to sleep for like a week straight without bothering to harvest anything? Maybe Naru died of something else.

And I wonder if the main villain (Kuro?) really just decided to destroy everything because the light was too bright. As motivations go, it's pretty funny in its simplicity.

outsida

Loving the game. It's absolutely beautiful, plays great and I'm digging the story. I somehow have a glitch where I can't jump out of water so I think I'm going to put it down for a bit. Hopefully this is fixed quickly. I really want to finish this game.

GlamFM

Banned
Played it for 2 hrs yesterday. Had to stop because Bayern Munich was playing, but I loved everything.

Quick question: How do I know if I´m about to reach a point of no return? I want to unlock and collect everything..

Meet me at the next game convention, I'm pretty hug-able :D

Are you coming to Gamescom?

all this
upside down
stuff in the
forlorn ruins
got me like

tumblr_mrw3otAVrs1r5yiuao1_400.gif

Played it for 2 hrs yesterday. Had to stop because Bayern Munich was playing, but I loved everything.

Quick question: How do I know if I´m about to reach a point of no return? I want to unlock and collect everything..

Are you coming to Gamescom?

Not a big spoiler but the point of no return is
when you enter the third "dungeon"
. The game has a small piece of dialogue that suggests you can't go back.

Edit: And I'd almost suggest making a copy of your save before each of the dungeons or temples or whatever you want to call them. I got 100% on the map everywhere except the second dungeon since I accidentally went the correct way while exploring and triggered the next story bit and couldn't return to hit the other side of the final room. Really sucks.

which one is that? so that means you can't go back and pick up any of the items in the earlier worlds?

Can't recall the particular name but it's
the volcano thinger. Mt Doom or whatever.

Edit: And no, once you go in you can't go back out. Oddly I had one left of both energy and health orbs I needed but none showed on the map despite having the upgrade and collecting the rest so I assumed they must be after going in there. That wasn't the case and I couldn't go back out to check other areas. So missed out on those achievements, too. Hmph.

GlamFM

Banned
Not a big spoiler but the point of no return is
when you enter the third "dungeon"
. The game has a small piece of dialogue that suggests you can't go back.

Edit: And I'd almost suggest making a copy of your save before each of the dungeons or temples or whatever you want to call them. I got 100% on the map everywhere except the second dungeon since I accidentally went the correct way while exploring and triggered the next story bit and couldn't return to hit the other side of the final room. Really sucks.

Thank you, I´ll be careful.

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
thomasmahler - just an update on my save issue. I rebooted the Xbox and saves have been fine. I believe the issue was caused by the Xbox suspend feature (as it only stored my progress from before I suspended the xbox) so it might be something to look into?

The game is so good, so charming and so enjoyable that I've had no issue replaying my progress.

GlamFM

Banned
thomasmahler - just an update on my save issue. I rebooted the Xbox and saves have been fine. I believe the issue was caused by the Xbox suspend feature (as it only stored my progress from before I suspended the xbox) so it might be something to look into?

The game is so good, so charming and so enjoyable that I've had no issue replaying my progress.

Suspend/resume seems the thing that causes most of the problems for everyone.

Top Bottom