• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

MaLDo

XB1 version runs very smooth for me, no crashes or glitches yet. There are occasional frame rate dips but nothing that hurts the experience from what I've played, I'm about 4 hours in.

The framerate dips are a fact and a measurable problem. How much they hurt the experience is another different beast, subjective and highly variable.

I can't deal with it, a lot of people can.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of games with juddery framerate and inconsistent frametimes. Problems here for me are two:

- I really like the game and I want to play now.
- Thomas was VERY EXPLICIT about how buttery smooth the game is and about how many optimizations and reworks they did over Unity engine in collaboration with engine programmers to avoid stutters and framerate instabilities, but now another Moon Studios dev says:

I really wish we would have had more of them on launch but well, deadlines are deadlines :) Hope you're enjoying the game nonetheless!

That's exactly my definition of being ripped off. Sorry for being so exalted.

Been getting a lot of hitching on the Xbox One version of the game, it's not totally terrible and it's not going to make me stop playing the game, but it is happening enough for me to mention it and be kinda annoyed by it.

looks like all good things come to an end. 99% complete with 403 deaths >.>

ManlyTearsHaveBeenShed.jpg

the end was a bit underwhelming, but the level itself certainly exercised some muscles i haven't used since the PS1 days. the whole game did really.

tremendously beautiful game. it's fascinating how some stories need only visual and aural expression to convey emotion. in my own endeavors, i moved from anthropomorphic creatures to humans to make the relation between the character and the audience more realistic, but it doesn't particularly matter when it's done right (disney/pixar do it all the time even). this game manages to resonate on a personal level with the player without using any real spoken dialog, which is something few games can claim.

i think the levels that will stick with me most are
sunken glades and valley of the wind for the art, sorrow path for the gliding action, misty woods for the trippy music and visuals, and this part of the ginso tree:
http://gameclipscontent-d3009.xboxl..._=1426175505_1b8814599a4a2c7c495574227e76ab6d

also, this game really made me like spiders for some reason. their animations were whimsical.

the option to replay the forest is sorely needed. i've gotten used all the abilities and i'll need to let things sink in before i attempt to start at ground zero again.

GG Moon. 8/10 from me (9 if it had that replay + warp option and 10 if those technical stuff were sorted). it'll be an experience i wont forget nonetheless. i think i'll have some feather filled nightmares for months to come.

Has anyone got a Surface Pro 2 and/or something with Intel HD 4400 which doesn't throttle?

Would love to know how this game runs so I can pick it up.

A video of the game running on Intel HD 4600 shows a steady 60fps most of the time, so I'm wondering if 4400 would also hold 60fps, or whether it would go down to the 40s-50s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGDY0FaUJL0

Thanks in advance!

Okay, first annoying glitch. Did the tree water escape, unlocked the smash down ability, went and explored for about 2 hours, found a load of secrets. Saved my game and went out...

Come back, load it up....back at the start after the tree level. All lost.

Bit pissed....fortunately the game is wonderful, so I don't mind...much.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
there's some minor issues (mostly technical) and i'll be pretty bummed if there's no reason or ability to run back through the game after it's complete. but there's nothing deal breaking imo.

it's just sublime.

Only thing I've run into so far is 2 second long framerate hitches. Maybe 4 of them. To me that's negligible.

Navy Bean

So there's an achievement for finishing the game with no deaths? LOL, I'd love to see it...

Finishing in under 3 hours or without using an ability point seems doable (in both cases you basically just run/bash by enemies), but not dying a single time is madness.

jimboton

About 1,5 hour in and liking it. The graphics and animation are simply out of this world. That skill tree though... some of it feels less like legitimate upgrade paths than flat out cheat mode activation...

Alright, I'm not so good at writing up detailed impressions so I'm just going to leave a mini-review! Tried my best to keep it spoiler free, but if you don't want to know anything about this game and are for some reason reading the thread, be warned!

+ As everyone is probably aware, the art and atmosphere is impeccable. Further, the world feels incredibly natural and nothing seems out of the place.
+ The game's narrative is amazing and does not take a backseat to the other elements of the game like many of its brethren in the genre prefer to do. The 'cast' is wonderful.
+ Some sequences provide breathtaking cinematic gameplay that doesn't rely on QTE.
+ Platforming feels perfectly calibrated, on par with the greats (Mario, Super Meat Boy, etc).
+ The resource-based save system is incredibly well implemented. Any large setback is a failure on part of the player, preventing the game from ever feeling 'cheap'.
+ Abilities are perfectly integrated into both traversal of the game world and combat. To me, this is what elevates the game from good to great. Easily the best ability kit in any Metroidvania game I've played. In particular, one unique ability completely changes the way you traverse and deal with enemies.
+ The game does not forget about abilities and you are constantly using them throughout. Only one ability is 'replaced' by another.
+ There are many inventive puzzles that use your abilities. Some areas introduce other mechanics, including what I think is a fairly unique implementation of a standard platforming gimmick. All of them were great.
+ The skill tree is well thought out and each path is clearly designed to help out particular players in its own way.
+ Secrets are well-hidden but not in a 'bash your face into every wall you see' kind of way.
+ The game can be difficult at some points but is fair. Most obstacles can be cleared with a few tries and the save system ensures that you can progress steadily.
+ As you progress,
the world changes around you and your impact is clearly felt.
+ The final area
is a perfect culmination of the skills you developed in the rest of the game, styled similarly to Ocarina of Time's final dungeon. Pure joy to play through.

- The game does have some points of no return, which can be frustrating if you miss something.
- Energy doors are a nuisance and feel majorly out of place in a game with incredibly tight pacing otherwise. They demand a player have a certain amount of resources, and if they don't, they must go back and try to respawn enemies or flowers.
- Some enemies required to progress have weird respawn tendencies if you don't move in the way the game intended.

Ultimately the negatives are minor, if I was going to assign a score it would be a solid 10/10. This game is one of, if the not the best in the genre and has earned a place as an instant classic alongside Super Metroid for me.

For those interested, I completed the game in just under 7 hours. I'm a big fan of these types of games so I am probably on the fast side. I maxed out the combat and efficiency skill trees with a few points into the other one by the end.

WOW, you sir got me hyped.

I already got it on xbone, but didn't get to play it yet (on a business trip) :(

MaLDo

30 fps animations are an "artifact", dev says:

So I'm assuming you mean the 30FPS animations? It's not really that they are capped, they were just authored in 30 FPS. Sprite sheets are huge, and 60 FPS sprite sheets are well, twice as huge. To be honest thjough it is an artifact from the days where this was primarily a xbox 360 game.

Still, in a game with no loading times every MB shaved off helps. Especially for the cinematics, 60 FPS animation seems unlikely. In the future we might rework some gameplay animations to be 60, or do some kind of interpolation shader magic.

On the same subject, the camera right now always moves at 60 FPS, even when running higher. We're looking into that too so if you have an awesome rig it's a bit smoother still.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/261570/discussions/0/617330227196019919/#c617330227199031704

This debunk the promised "unlocked framerate in PC" too. Camera movement is 60 fps locked so you will have judder with unlocked framerate.

Alright, I'm not so good at writing up detailed impressions so I'm just going to leave a mini-review! Tried my best to keep it spoiler free, but if you don't want to know anything about this game and are for some reason reading the thread, be warned!

+ As everyone is probably aware, the art and atmosphere is impeccable. Further, the world feels incredibly natural and nothing seems out of the place.
+ The game's narrative is amazing and does not take a backseat to the other elements of the game like many of its brethren in the genre prefer to do. The 'cast' is wonderful.
+ Some sequences provide breathtaking cinematic gameplay that doesn't rely on QTE.
+ Platforming feels perfectly calibrated, on par with the greats (Mario, Super Meat Boy, etc).
+ The resource-based save system is incredibly well implemented. Any large setback is a failure on part of the player, preventing the game from ever feeling 'cheap'.
+ Abilities are perfectly integrated into both traversal of the game world and combat. To me, this is what elevates the game from good to great. Easily the best ability kit in any Metroidvania game I've played. In particular, one unique ability completely changes the way you traverse and deal with enemies.
+ The game does not forget about abilities and you are constantly using them throughout. Only one ability is 'replaced' by another.
+ There are many inventive puzzles that use your abilities. Some areas introduce other mechanics, including what I think is a fairly unique implementation of a standard platforming gimmick. All of them were great.
+ The skill tree is well thought out and each path is clearly designed to help out particular players in its own way.
+ Secrets are well-hidden but not in a 'bash your face into every wall you see' kind of way.
+ The game can be difficult at some points but is fair. Most obstacles can be cleared with a few tries and the save system ensures that you can progress steadily.
+ As you progress,
the world changes around you and your impact is clearly felt.
+ The final area
is a perfect culmination of the skills you developed in the rest of the game, styled similarly to Ocarina of Time's final dungeon. Pure joy to play through.

- The game does have some points of no return, which can be frustrating if you miss something.
- Energy doors are a nuisance and feel majorly out of place in a game with incredibly tight pacing otherwise. They demand a player have a certain amount of resources, and if they don't, they must go back and try to respawn enemies or flowers.
- Some enemies required to progress have weird respawn tendencies if you don't move in the way the game intended.

Ultimately the negatives are minor, if I was going to assign a score it would be a solid 10/10. This game is one of, if the not the best in the genre and has earned a place as an instant classic alongside Super Metroid for me.

For those interested, I completed the game in just under 7 hours. I'm a big fan of these types of games so I am probably on the fast side. I maxed out the combat and efficiency skill trees with a few points into the other one by the end.

agree with this. the points of no return are really my main gripes thus far. the combat was so much fun, so i don't think it'll be boring to replay it. i wanted more time with the abilities though.

Nabs

The configuration that got rid of any framerate issues on PC for me was windowed mode with vsync on. Turning vsync off caused some stuttering issues. The triple buffering that windowed mode adds really helps, especially with the input lag.

And since it's a Unity title, you can use the launch option "-popupwindow" to enable borderless windowed if you don't want to bother with any other programs.

MaLDo

More dev comments:

For a bunch of reasons we're on a custom version of unity that just doesn't handle it properly. We might be able upgrade to the main unity branch now though - if we do that we'll have borderless windowed mode.

I'll keep you updated, should know soon what we're doing there

They will know... soon.

The entire middle branch for instance. What's the point of designing a game around exploration and secret hunting if you're just going to end up giving everything away in the map eventually?

i collected almost every spirit light thing and i still had several nodes on my combat tree to go. so if you're maxing out "cheat codes", you're giving up something else.

i thought the skill tree was really well done, although some of the stuff seemed oddly placed (like triple jump).

Navy Bean

i collected almost every spirit light thing and i still had several nodes on my combat tree to go. so if you're maxing out "cheat codes", you're giving up something else.

i thought the skill tree was really well done, although some of the stuff seemed oddly placed (like triple jump).

Any advice on what to max out? Getting triple jump seems like a no-brainer.

Any advice on what to max out? Getting triple jump seems like a no-brainer.

i found the blue branch to be the most useful throughout the game. towards the latter levels when my blue branch was maxed, there was a point where i would create save points solely to regenerate my health.

the blue and purple branches were the ones i focused on, and i threw the leftovers on the orange one. once i unlocked new abilities, my attack power increased and i didn't pay as much attention to it until the difficulty started increasing. there's likely a more efficient way to do it though.

you can ignore the purple branch if you want a "vanilla" experience. it's really just there to make collecting things more convenient.

lt519

My girlfriend commented the art was amazing. That's like the highest praise you can get because she's seen me play a hell of a lot of games and has only commented on them to make fun. She even asked what the name of the game was. Blown away :p

RyudBoy

Hmm, I've unlocked every skill except for the last one. I'm going to assume that I'll need it in order to advance through some of the areas (Forlorn Ruins), but right now, I just feel lost and I'm currently doing a lot of backtracking.

Also, just viewed the achievements list and I doubt I'll ever get the last 3.

edit: nvm, just saw there's a third jump in the ability tree.

Exentryk

Man, the end sequence in
Ginzo Tree
area was both frustrating and awesome. Took me like 20-30 tries, but was immensely satisfying once I got it.

Btw, does anyone know or have high res art for this game? I've got the cover image in 1080p, but my macbook has 2880 x 1800 res, so something higher would be great.

EDIT - Nvm. Found it.

Deadstar

This is one of the coolest games I have ever played. It's like Metroid meets Fern Gully meets Super Meat Boy. I hope this game raises the bar on what 2d side scrollers should look like.

I've only played about an hour so far and the game is beautiful, but the framerate stutters on XB1 are kind of jarring and take me out of the experience. There were a few areas where I was experiencing it every 5-6 seconds or so. Kind of surprising (or given recent trends, maybe not) to see this on such a high profile console release.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
REALLY love this game. Only thing I don't like is how you can miss collectibles and aren't able to get to them later.
Is there a New Game + or something like that?

Coconut

Banned
The framerate dips are a fact and a measurable problem. How much they hurt the experience is another different beast, subjective and highly variable.

I can't deal with it, a lot of people can.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of games with juddery framerate and inconsistent frametimes. Problems here for me are two:

- I really like the game and I want to play now.
- Thomas was VERY EXPLICIT about how buttery smooth the game is and about how many optimizations and reworks they did over Unity engine in collaboration with engine programmers to avoid stutters and framerate instabilities, but now another Moon Studios dev says:

That's exactly my definition of being ripped off. Sorry for being so exalted.
I'd be fine if it was a few frames that it dropped but when it happens it feels like it will skip 5-15 frames.

Its wacky drops can't quite pin why it's doing it since it'll happen with areas that seem to have already been loaded in. And other times it it's small drops when a lot of things are exploding and dropping items.

My guess for the big drops is that they happen when enemies are being reloaded into areas that were previously cleared,but I haven't tested it.

Maedhros

The only problem for me is how the RT input isn't registering on Steam, no matter what.

I won't play the game unless this is fixed (or we get a temp. fix from someone).

Kensuke

This game has managed to piss me off beyond belief. My save file is fucked.

I cleared the water and kept playing for a while, making multiple manual saves along the way. I quit just before getting the stomp upgrade. When I booted up the game this afternoon I was at the same spot I left it at, but all the stuff I had collected after clearing the water was gone.

If only that had been the only issue. The water is now suddenly poisoned again, even though I'm at a point where that should be impossible. So I can't swim through it and get out of the area I'm in.

That's 3 hours wasted on this piece of crap. I don't have the confidence to start a new save, because who knows what could happen. I'm at the point where asking for a refund seems like the only option. It's the pc version by the way.

Am I the only one who can't seem to master the wall-climb/jump off combo? I can do it in SM3DW all day long but here I just keep messing it up and it is seriously pissing me off.

Am I the only one who can't seem to master the wall-climb/jump off combo? I can do it in SM3DW all day long but here I just keep messing it up and it is seriously pissing me off.

This took me a while as well, especially aggravated by the first place you need to use it having those tricky disappear walls. Just don't rush it. You don't slip when you're wall climbing, so just sit there for a few seconds if you need to.

Lynn616

Man, the end sequence in
Ginzo Tree
area was both frustrating and awesome. Took me like 20-30 tries, but was immensely satisfying once I got it.

Same here but you get really good at controlling Ori by the time you finish that. The next part is so relaxing I feel the developer must have known we would really need a moment to chill.

Same here but you get really good at controlling Ori by the time you finish that. The next part is so relaxing I feel the developer must have known we would really need a moment to chill.

The first time through, I thought I was going to have to
fight Kuro
after it all. Luckily that is not the case.

Before I was unlocking achievements for things I had not accomplished and now achievements aren't unlock anymore, lol. There's three or four achievements that should have unlocked but didn't.

wouwie

I think i'll give up playing the game until i have a decent pc. Full screen mode is a slideshow in all resolutions so i'm stuck with windowed 1366x768 (iirc) mode but even then, i feel that the framerate, while often smooth, still drops too much at times and there's stuttering going on aswell. It affects the enjoyment i'm having with the game. Judging by Thomas's comments in previous threads about specs, framerate and optimising, i didn't expect it too be this problematic, tbh. I'm wondering if it's something with my pc or the game itself (i've got an i7 with gt740m card). Judging by the Steam comments, i don't seem to be the only one with issues though.

As a mostly console gamer, i was wondering: is it normal that full screen mode demands so much more from a gpu than windowed mode, even at lower resolutions (just curious)?

Ok, wtf am I missing with the block push/pulling. Got to the one with the slope and three spinning purple spikes early and I'm completely stuck. Rock just at some point on the slope becomes stuck and can't be pushed or pulled.

Don't play too many metroidvanias do you?

Are you implying that the game isn't good if you've played metroidvanias in the past.

Ok, wtf am I missing with the block push/pulling. Got to the one with the slope and three spinning purple spikes early and I'm completely stuck. Rock just at some point on the slope becomes stuck and can't be pushed or pulled.

You have to be on the same surface as the rock. Don't try to push it from the higher platform. I tried that at first.

My favorite thing about this game is the risk/reward factor. Getting the power ups is both brutal and rewarding. I can honestly say this may be the best 2D side scrolling platformer I played in the past 10 years.

Are you implying that the game isn't good if you've played metroidvanias in the past.

You have to be on the same surface as the rock. Don't try to push it from the higher platform. I tried that at first.

I don't understand.

Here's where it gets stuck roughly each time and can't be pushed or pulled further. I'll be pulling it and then Ori just breaks away from it and I can't regrip it from either side. On PC on the off chance it's a bug and not
me just missing something.

ADvDCnxl.jpg

Top Bottom