• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

This fucking guy...

siuF0fv.gif

I don't understand.

Here's where it gets stuck roughly each time and can't be pushed or pulled further.

ADvDCnxl.jpg

That's weird. I thought that section let you move the rock to the right to jump and get the item over there and then you push it all the way to the left to reach the higher platform.

Coconut

Banned
Are you implying that the game isn't good if you've played metroidvanias in the past.

You have to be on the same surface as the rock. Don't try to push it from the higher platform. I tried that at first.

No but I am saying that outside of the Fern Gully meets Secrets of Nimh story it's not going to rock your socks of mechanically it's pretty standard fair. I mean if you want something that is doing that Guacamelee is a much better game for that experience.

Vexidus

Well I've put some more time into this game and I have to say, I love it twice as much as I did before. I am just over the moon with it, and can't help but swoon over every little detail in the environment.

I'm 3.5 hours in now, saved in the middle of
the Ginzo tree
. I am really taking my time, exploring every nook and cranny that I can, given my abilities. Then when I get something new like the
double jump
I go back through all the previous areas and get stuff that was inaccessible before. I am feeling the difficulty ramp up and I appreciate it.

I spent like 30 lives on the first difficult wall jump section with the red spikes, and found nothing but gated sections at the top. I must have attempted it too early and now that I have
double jump
, it will be easier next time. But doing something difficult feels rewarding after you nail it. I know that the curve is going to get way steeper soon too, and I'm looking forward to it.

I have lost bunches of progress due to long gaps between saving but that was my own fault. I usually try to preserve energy but realized that unless I'm trying to open a door or something, I don't really need to maintain max energy. I'm saving more often now, basically before doing anything dangerous.

This game is utterly gorgeous and a true work of art. One of my favourite games ever, and I have so much more of it left to see!

tuna_love

Banned
I don't understand.

Here's where it gets stuck roughly each time and can't be pushed or pulled further. I'll be pulling it and then Ori just breaks away from it and I can't regrip it from either side. On PC on the off chance it's a bug and not
me just missing something.

ADvDCnxl.jpg
If there's a save on the right. You want the rock thing more to the left and you jump up

Aeana

Am I the only one who can't seem to master the wall-climb/jump off combo? I can do it in SM3DW all day long but here I just keep messing it up and it is seriously pissing me off.
Are you playing on PC? Fullscreen with vsync on adds a ton of input lag which makes that difficult.

If there's a save on the right. You want the rock thing more to the left and you jump up

The save is on the left, regardless I can not move the rock up the hill. At some point the grip breaks and I can no longer grab the rock. I managed to almost get it a little further but it just becomes unmovable at some point. I believe that is a Key Shard on the right.

Had a MASSIVE row with the missus for playing this to much over the last couple of days...gonna have to take some time off. :(

Keep finding myself humming the tunes...

tuna_love

Banned
No but I am saying that outside of the Fern Gully meets Secrets of Nimh story it's not going to rock your socks of mechanically it's pretty standard fair. I mean if you want something that is doing that Guacamelee is a much better game for that experience.
What's that got to do with it being there favorite x1 game?

Visceir

Same here but you get really good at controlling Ori by the time you finish that. The next part is so relaxing I feel the developer must have known we would really need a moment to chill.

Just got done with
Ginzo Tree
as well. Loved the end sequence even though I failed quite a few times as well. Conveniently had just about enough skill points to get the inifite breath underwater skill once I was done.

Been really enjoying the pacing of it. Potential goty cotender.

Coconut

Banned
What's that got to do with it being there favorite x1 game?
I think you'd be less impressed with it as that type of game if you've experienced other games of that this type that surpass it mechanically. It's okay man we are just having conversation about video game no one here is wrong or right they have different view points.

Griss

Published by Microsoft, eh? Well, shit.

MS had better get around to making an XB1 slim, as I have no interest in their current box. I have no interest in the XB1 at all, really, but such is the power of exclusive games, I guess. Eventually there's gonna be enough of these to push me over the edge. Add Tomb Raider, Forza and Halo, and it'd probably happen eventually anyway. But this is the first game to really, really make me regret not having one. Like, 'I want to run out to the store and buy one right now to play this' regret. I just love Metroid-likes.

Game looks ridiculously stunning.

THRILLH0

Banned
I don't understand.

Here's where it gets stuck roughly each time and can't be pushed or pulled further. I'll be pulling it and then Ori just breaks away from it and I can't regrip it from either side. On PC on the off chance it's a bug and not
me just missing something.

ADvDCnxl.jpg

Try pushing it.

Edit: sorry didn't see you tried pushing as well. Yep definitely a bug.

Azlan

I think you'd be less impressed with it as that type of game if you've experienced other games of that this type that surpass it mechanically. It's okay man we are just having conversation about video game no one here is wrong or right they have different view points.

I think your comments would be a lot more constructive if you explained your opinions a bit more. Why do you find Guacamelee to be better, for example? As is, they don't come off as just constructive conversation.

I have played plenty of games in the same genre as Ori. I am only a few hours in, but thus far I think it is excellent. I haven't before played a Metroidvania that held such high quality across the presentation, art design, music, and gameplay. It may not be the very best in all areas, but I don't think it is lacking in any.

I think your comments would be a lot more constructive if you explained your opinions a bit more. Why do you find Guacamelee to be better, for example? As is, they don't come off as just constructive conversation.

I have played plenty of games in the same genre as Ori. I am only a few hours in, but thus far I think it is excellent.

It's easier to just criticize someone's love for a game by suggesting he/she doesn't play more games of the same type.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Man, the end sequence in
Ginzo Tree
area was both frustrating and awesome. Took me like 20-30 tries, but was immensely satisfying once I got it.
Indeed. I got that shit after about 40 deaths and then grabbed a beer and drank that shit like Steve Austin.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
thomas messaged me telling me there's a fix on the way for my issue. But I started again anyway. I've deleted the corrupt save file now. I actually managed to get past where I was in half the time!

I managed to get past it by... starting the game completely over in a different save.
Save one, rock gets stuck every time. Save two pulled rock up slope with no issues...

You had a similar issue to me. Save 1? Couldn't jump out of water and Kuro's feather never appeared for me as I glitches through the floor at the time I was supposed to get it. Save 2? Perfect.

I loved guacamelee but I think this game is much better in every aspect (not to take away anything from that game).

The music, graphics and platforming in this game are God tier.

Coconut

Banned

I have played plenty of games in the same genre as Ori. I am only a few hours in, but thus far I think it is excellent. I haven't before played a Metroidvania that held such high quality across the presentation, art design, music, and gameplay. It may not be the very best in all areas, but I don't think it is lacking in any.

I think Guacamelee has a much more interesting setting, the art and music of Guacamelee were much more coherent to build a world that wasn't just spooky broken forest. The combat was much more engaging in Guacamelee and demanded you to think about your fight as opposed to the mash X nature of Ori and all of these elements come together to make you feel like a super rad lucahdor. Where with Ori the games visual would make you think you should feel sorrowful dread but they contrast with the fact that you are ninja gizmo Bambi with Navi with a laser gun floating above you. Don't even get me started that the puzzley nature of the platforming in Guacamelee actually made me feel like I was achieving something and discovering stuff when I accomplished those platforming feats.

Ori has one trick and that's the kinda interactive beginning.

With that all said it's still a perfectly good game.

KiraXD

is it me or did ori just feel like a Dust offshoot where you play as Fidget? the game looks great (although i Feel Ubiart would have fared better for this game, it just reeks with Unity, i hate Unity) But the overall feel of the game felt a lot like Dust. not that it was abad game either... just that Ori didnt feel too inspired.

Don't even get me started that the puzzling nature of the platform img in Guacamelee actually made me feel like I was achieving something and discovering stuff when I accomplished those platforming feats.

The rest of your complaints are entirely subjective and merely just your opinion but this one confuses me. Guacamelee had some fairly good combat but the platforming was pretty run of the mill. The platforming in this game is basically ripped from Super Meat Boys except by using soul links they extract that game into a much fuller richer metroidvania type experience.

To me what they have done is brilliant, espeically if your a fan of the extremely tight platforming mechanics demonstrated in Super Meat Boy. The focus in this game is on the platforming and they nailed. Guacamelee did a bunch of things really good but nothing amazing IMO.

Disclaimer: I only played the extreme edition of guacamelee. I felt the new levels ruined the later part of that game which may have spoiled my enjoyment of it.

Paulee

I got stuck on one of the
Owl hunting parts
can someone help pls

she is hunting you and you have to hide but after the rolling enemy , the way is too long without any hidingspot

I think Guacamelee has a much more interesting setting, the art and music of Guacamelee were much more coherent to build a world that wasn't just spooky broken forest. The combat was much more engaging in Guacamelee and demanded you to think about your fight as opposed to the mash X nature of Ori and all of these elements come together to make you feel like a super rad lucahdor. Where with Ori the games visual would make you think you should feel sorrowful dread but they contrast with the fact that you are ninja gizmo Bambi with Navi with a laser gun floating above you. Don't even get me started that the puzzley nature of the platforming in Guacamelee actually made me feel like I was achieving something and discovering stuff when I accomplished those platforming feats.

Could not disagree more. Guacamelee was a letdown to me and I eventually got too bored with it to finish the game. I'll give you the combat is deeper but I found a lot of that depth was simply not necessary. I can't even comprehend your platforming comment.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I finish Ori but so far it blows Guacamelee out of the water. And I have played a shit-ton of Metroidvanias if that matters for some reason.

Coconut

Banned
The rest of your complaints are entirely subjective and merely just your opinion but this one confuses me. Guacamelee had some fairly good combat but the platforming was pretty run of the mill. The platforming in this game is basically ripped from Super Meat Boys except by using soul links they extract that game into a much fuller richer metroidvania type experience.

To me what they have done is brilliant, espeically if your a fan of the extremely tight platforming mechanics demonstrated in Super Meat Boy. The focus in this game is on the platforming and they nailed. Guacamelee did a bunch of things really good but nothing amazing IMO.

Disclaimer: I only played the extreme edition of guacamelee. I felt the new levels ruined the later part of that game which may have spoiled my enjoyment of it.

I didn't play the extreme addition but in the normal version there is a lot of flipping to the dark world and using the goat run and mixing all that stuff together. I love super meat boy and I have not experienced anything similar for hat experience in Ori.

Also all these things are OPINION and SUBJECTIVE and no one is wrong or write the only discussion we could have in these forums that isn't subjective would be software performance on the hardware.

Detective

I've just finished it. :( such a satisfying feeling. Amazing. Incredible. want more. Gonna reply it.

Edit: spoiler:
no reply value? :(

Are you playing on PC? Fullscreen with vsync on adds a ton of input lag which makes that difficult.

This could be the reason, I'll try vsync off and borderless window and see if it helps. Slowly getting used to it, just unlocked
Bash
and I think its the best powerup since Blink in Dishonored. Can't imagine playing the game without it now.

Aeana

This could be the reason, I'll try vsync off and borderless window and see if it helps. Slowly getting used to it, just unlocked
Bash
and I think its the best powerup since Blink in Dishonored. Can't imagine playing the game without it now.

You don't need to turn vsync off if you do windowed/borderless window. In fact, you should leave it on or you'll probably get some stuttering. The triple buffering from windowed is what really helps.

Korosenai

Man, the end sequence in
Ginzo Tree
area was both frustrating and awesome. Took me like 20-30 tries, but was immensely satisfying once I got it.

Btw, does anyone know or have high res art for this game? I've got the cover image in 1080p, but my macbook has 2880 x 1800 res, so something higher would be great.

EDIT - Nvm. Found it.
Could you post it? I'd like it for my MacBook too.

The save system in this game can be such a jerk to you. In a good way.

The only downside I've had with this game. And it's nothing against the game itself. But this game gives me headaches/eye strain issues. Not sure why. I've only been able to play in spurts, because of that.

Could not disagree more. Guacamelee was a letdown to me and I eventually got too bored with it to finish the game. I'll give you the combat is deeper but I found a lot of that depth was simply not necessary. I can't even comprehend your platforming comment.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I finish Ori but so far it blows Guacamelee out of the water. And I have played a shit-ton of Metroidvanias if that matters for some reason.

That's how I ended up feeling about Guacamelee as well. About halfway through I just got tired of playing it, but I love its theme and it looks great so I kept with it.

In all honesty, none of these games have really surpassed Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night for me. They all feel the same but with a different coat of paint. Which is fine, I suppose, because they are a lot of fun to play.

You don't need to turn vsync off if you do windowed/borderless window. In fact, you should leave it on or you'll probably get some stuttering. The triple buffering from windowed is what really helps.

I thought windowed mode already applies Vsync so you can turn it off in menu for reduced latency? I actually used this method in Unity to get steady framerate with no stuttering.

I think I'll have to come back to this game later, maybe when I don't have so much other stuff to play. It just isn't hooking me like I wish it was and I'm a huge fan of Metroidvanias. I've put about three hours in and aside from the presentation (which is fantastic from the music to the graphics), it just feels a bit empty to me combat and platforming wise. The opening was a bit hollow and I felt was executed poorly on an emotional level. I usually fall pretty easy to tear jerker moments but felt nothing there (perhaps because they changed scenes too fast after).

The combat's poor, a bit too simplistic and doesn't really feel rewarding to partake in. A lot of X mashing but not really very sastifying. And I dislike the save system too. Has made things far too easy so far.

Ah well, I'll definitely come back to it later and try to finish it up.

Coconut

Banned
That's how I ended up feeling about Guacamelee as well. About halfway through I just got tired of playing it, but I love its theme and it looks great so I kept with it.

In all honesty, none of these games have really surpassed Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night for me. They all feel the same but with a different coat of paint. Which is fine, I suppose, because they are a lot of fun to play.

There's something about filling out a map that is really satisfying. It's like I know there's something behind this fog of war right here in the lower right of this map screen but I don't know exactly what it's going to be and that's what excites me about going there.

Aeana

I thought windowed mode already applies Vsync so you can turn it off in menu for reduced latency? I actually used this method in Unity to get steady framerate with no stuttering.

I got some stuttering with vsync off in windowed mode, personally, so I turned it on and it went away. AFAIK windowed mode just applies triple buffering.

I got some stuttering with vsync off in windowed mode, personally, so I turned it on and it went away. AFAIK windowed mode just applies triple buffering.

Ah ok, I'll give it a try with both methods and see if it helps. Afaik windowed mode just locks the framerate to monitor refresh rate, which removes screen tearing, hence any need for vsync.

You know, this thread has a severe lack of gifs/webms. I think some good ones would sell the game a lot better. I encourage gifmakers to make some good stuff!

Can't wait to play this tonight. Today was a real bad day to put my house on the market!

Coconut

Banned
You know, this thread has a severe lack of gifs/webms. I think some good ones would sell the game a lot better. I encourage gifmakers to make some good stuff!

Can't wait to play this tonight. Today was a real bad day to put my house on the market!

Ori is always kinda small on the screen I dont think the game lends itself to being made into gifs well.

see5harp

Ori has one trick and that's the kinda interactive beginning.

With that all said it's still a perfectly good game.

Ori has one trick? I agree that everything is subjective but you started this whole thing off with your "YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED MANY OF THESE GAMES," then got all sorry after you got called on it.

Coconut

Banned
Ori has one trick? I agree that everything is subjective but you started this whole thing off with your "YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED MANY OF THESE GAMES," then got all sorry after you got called on it.

Some one asked me to explain my thoughts, I did. I don't think any less of you for liking something more than I liked it. The emotional hook in the beginning got you it's fine.

BluWacky

I loathed the beginning of this game.

Either make it a cutscene or don't. Slow waddling movement for what rapidly becomes an obvious storytelling beat is not particularly enjoyable, if you ask me, and the game kept giving you interactivity for about 10 seconds at a time before making you stop again for another "cut scene".

Thankfully, the game itself is great fun. I also feel that it gets much better once you've actually got into it; I found it a slightly steep difficulty curve to start with due to the lack of energy, but as soon as you can basically save whenever you feel like it it becomes much more manageable. I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of the (thus far) lack of fast travel options - the map isn't TOO labyrinthine but although I've been able to do a fair amount of proper backtracking (3 hours or so in, 45% complete) there are some things I've missed and I'm not sure I can face schlepping back to the occasional hidden XP powerup.

I have had some issues, however, when the game has lost focus to other programmes for some reason (I have an annoying Citrix enabler that often pulls focus from full screen titles). Although my desktop shows up, the game itself still seems to have control of something graphical in that the mouse cursor disappears everywhere except the taskbar and I can't select anything using it; I also can't get Ori to re-display, despite music continuing to play. I have to log out my username to close the game and then reload. Bizarre, but tedious more than insurmountable.

I wasn't a big fan of the opening either. it sets a good tone but I'm really here for the metroidvania part of the game. the story has actually been a low point for me just because I don't really want to see anything other than environmental storytelling in games like this. I guess I'm a Super Metroid purist!

but really, it's just because I want to be doing excellent platforming instead of seeing fleeting text scroll across the screen.

Top Bottom