• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

see5harp

Some one asked me to explain my thoughts, I did. I don't think any less of you for liking something more than I liked it. The emotional hook in the beginning got you it's fine.

Yea, but you do think less of people. You assumed that we hadn't played through "better" games like Guacamelee. The only thing that Ori does well is a mood setting intro? REALLY?

Personally, I felt like the opening would have been better without the on screen text and did feel it was too long.

Absol

I think I'm fucked.

http://i.imgur.com/p7hI2fD.jpg

Guess spoilers from final dungeon?

Killed the miniboss thing that was needed to open that door. Saved after killing it then died right after saving from two of the spitting monsters top right of the wall. Respawned now the door is closed and it won't open.

JonnyKong

Wow you sure do get a lot of soul links and health cell things later in the game. ^^

Here I was getting excited for unlocking the 5th blue cell an hour ago lolz.

Published by Microsoft, eh? Well, shit.

MS had better get around to making an XB1 slim, as I have no interest in their current box. I have no interest in the XB1 at all, really, but such is the power of exclusive games, I guess. Eventually there's gonna be enough of these to push me over the edge. Add Tomb Raider, Forza and Halo, and it'd probably happen eventually anyway. But this is the first game to really, really make me regret not having one. Like, 'I want to run out to the store and buy one right now to play this' regret. I just love Metroid-likes.

Game looks ridiculously stunning.
Yeah, was looking into getting X1 once I saw The Ori isn't available on Mac. But I think I'm just going to get a Surface. TR is timed, and the rest of the stuff I can play on Surface 3 or not interested in. Would have love to play this right away but I'm waiting for that Pro to go down in price a little bit. X1/PS4/Steam is just too much of the same stuff for me.

This game is beautiful though...love everything about its art direction

finalflame

Yeah, was looking into getting X1 once I saw The Ori isn't available on Mac. But I think I'm just going to get a Surface. TR is timed, and the rest of the stuff I can play on Surface 3 or not interested in. Would have love to play this right away but I'm waiting for that Pro to go down in price a little bit. X1/PS4/Steam is just too much of the same stuff for me.

Or you can just use Bootcamp on Mac and install a cheap copy of Windows!

Hey, can I ask for those playing on laptop what your specs are like? I'm going to be buying a new macbook pro soon (new 13" 2015, Broadwell 2.7ghz, 8GB RAM, intel Iris 6100) I'd probably be running this in parallels so I wanted to make sure it would be able to handle it. Thanks!

Coconut

Banned
Coconut bro, have you finished the game?

I'm about 6 or 7 hours in I think? A friend was saying I shold be done with it in one more round of playing. Unless some mechanical revolution erupts out of nowhere my opinion on the game will stand.

Yea, but you do think less of people. You assumed that we hadn't played through "better" games like Guacamelee. The only thing that Ori does well is a mood setting intro? REALLY?

Personally, I felt like the opening would have been better without the on screen text and did feel it was too long.

The tree speak is pretty lame I agree. I didn't think it helped to build the world.

What u said was a statemnt that was looking for a response to see if these people had played other recent metroidvania games. I like having this discourse helps me to maybe look at a game in a different light.

Game is absolutely gorgeous but after only an hour hasn't really grabbed me. I keep waiting for something to be as good as SOTK but it will probably never be topped.

Truant

The game is amazing, but the water sequence is seriously lousy design. What about a checkpoint? Geez. Really making me want to just abandon the whole game.

finalflame

will look into that...'0)

Thanks..

is it as easy as installing a Linux distro?

Easier. Basically you get a legitimate Windows CD key (they sell them for $20-30 on a subreddit called "softwareswap"), download a windows install ISO for the version you have a cd key for, and use a utility called "Bootcamp". Bootcamp will do the rest, including the install of all necessary drivers for your hardware. Here's a guide from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

It's really, really easy. I think you need a minimum of 20gb free space to partition for Windows, might be safer with 30.

Alternatively, you can try something like Parallels:

https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

But I can't vouch for it as I've never used it. Maybe someone else can.

Doffen

Not waiting for Pro 4?

BashNasty

Quick question about a wall I'm suck at in Sorrow's Pass.
Near the end of the area, soon after you get the boost jump, you get to a breakable wall surrounded by spikes, right after you pass a hanging spider. Nothing I'm doing will break the wall and I see nothing around that would help me break it. What am I missing here?

Edit: Never mind, I just figured it out and learned something awesome in the process.

The save system in this game can be such a jerk to you. In a good way.

The only downside I've had with this game. And it's nothing against the game itself. But this game gives me headaches/eye strain issues. Not sure why. I've only been able to play in spurts, because of that.

there's a lot of color effects and the edges of the screen are blurred. it takes a while for your brain to filter out the noise. my eyes hurt for the first few hours (then again, i was running on fumes so i could have just been tired).

i had a dream last night that i could replay my completed game... and then i realized i couldn't D:

Moon, patch all the technical bugs sure, but PLEASE add a replay option too. I'm dying here.

one of my favorite things about this game is that i beat it without a walkthrough or any outside help. that's not to say it was too easy, but i feel like the game was always clear about what i needed to do (unless I missed a text prompt) and the solution required a bit of creativity.

my main gripe in that regard is that some of the hazards are hard to discern from background art. i can't imagine a colorblind person having much success with some of the latter levels.

Don't play too many metroidvanias do you?

i don't doubt there are games like this with more challenges, more replay value and a smoother control set, but the way Ori does it together with great art and music is what makes it stand out to me.

Hey guys, I don't post too often, normally just lurk here on gaf. I downloaded this game the other day, and I heard that their are some major bugs for it, I have it on the Xbox One. Should I start playing it now, or just wait for a patch to come out? I have held off on playing it so far.

Deviousx

Hey guys, I don't post too often, normally just lurk here on gaf. I downloaded this game the other day, and I heard that their are some major bugs for it, I have it on the Xbox One. Should I start playing it now, or just wait for a patch to come out? I have held off on playing it so far.

I've clocked 3 hours into the game and have not experienced any bugs. It has played flawlessly for me so far. But if you are that worried and want to make sure you don't experience any bugs while playing, you're more than welcome to wait for a patch. Which I think Thomas said is in the works. Don't know how long you will have to wait for the patch though.

I've clocked 3 hours into the game and have not experienced any bugs. It has played flawlessly for me so far. But if you are that worried and want to make sure you don't experience any bugs while playing, you're more than welcome to wait for a patch. Which I think Thomas said is in the works. Don't know how long you will have to wait for the patch though.

Okay, thanks! I am mostly worried about bug that deletes your save(I thought I read that somewhere.) I'm just nervous about playing and losing my progress since school gives me such little time to play.

Other than framerate drops and a cutscene not playing from the menu, my game ran smoothly on Xbox One. It seems like most of the issues are on the Steam versions.

Just be careful not to save your game in weird spots, or if something seems out of the ordinary. And quit the game before you turn the Xbox off, as there seems to be an issue with suspend/resume from instant on.

I wonder if they can also patch in a "save revoke", or at the very least an override for you to restart your current objective.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
DEVASTATED.

Went up instead of right at the end of the Forlorn Ruins and now I'm out and it's on 88%. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I can't 100% it now on this save. Fuck.

There seems to be an Ability cell I can't get in the Horrow part? Theres a door I need to lift to get to it, but I have no idea where the post I have to hammer down is.

lt519

Game is just absolutely amazing, taking my time and exploring, although I'm trying to hard to reach areas I dont think I'm supposed to be getting to.

So I tried that window mode program and I can get 1080p with vsync to prevent the screen tearing but I drop to like 45 fps in some sections. Turning off the vsync still has slight tearing in windowed so I opted to go back to 720p at a stable 60fps. I am sitting like 15 feet away though so I can't tell much of a difference.

Lynn616

Quick question about a wall I'm suck at in Sorrow's Pass.
Near the end of the area, soon after you get the boost jump, you get to a breakable wall surrounded by spikes, right after you pass a hanging spider. Nothing I'm doing will break the wall and I see nothing around that would help me break it. What am I missing here?

Edit: Never mind, I just figured it out and learned something awesome in the process.

I think I am at that same place. How did you do it?

DEVASTATED.

Went up instead of right at the end of the Forlorn Ruins and now I'm out and it's on 88%. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I can't 100% it now on this save. Fuck.

There seems to be an Ability cell I can't get in the Horrow part? Theres a door I need to lift to get to it, but I have no idea where the post I have to hammer down is.

yup i exited with 86% left. only thing i didn't 100% on my first run D:

i dreaded that level though.

TSM

Man I hate the escape sequences in this game. They are the perfect example of "frustrating, not difficult" game play. Even worse, they are used as an excuse to lock you out of areas so you can't complete the map in a single play through.

DEVASTATED.

Same thing happened to me in Forlorn Ruins. I suggested earlier that people should make a copy of their save before entering any of the dungeon sequences just in case. No way to go back in that I saw. And also be aware that once you beat the game you can no longer go back into your save for some fairly ridiculous reason. So make sure you do everything you want to before then.

Not sure what you mean by the Horrow part but there were two ability cells that I can recall tucked behind those types of doors. One was opened by a stump behind an invisible wall somewhat nearby and the other...maybe the same? I don't quite remember. I'd just suggest looking around nearby for a spot that looks to be hiding an area you can enter.

I think I am at that same place. How did you do it?

If it's the area I'm thinking of:
Use the bash on the spider projectile and aim yourself away from the breakable wall. The projectile flies out opposite the way you aim yourself and you can use that to break the wall.

I could be wrong and mixing that up with something similar but I believe that's it.

Same thing happened to me in Forlorn Ruins. I suggested earlier that people should make a copy of their save before entering any of the dungeon sequences just in case. No way to go back in that I saw. And also be aware that once you beat the game you can no longer go back into your save for some fairly ridiculous reason. So make sure you do everything you want to before then.

yea this is bugging me. each dungeon is inaccessible after you complete them.

1st
ginso tree
2nd
forlorn ruins
3rd
mt horu

the 3rd is the last "point of no return", so if you want to go back through the game on that save file, make a copy of it. can't go back after you beat the 3rd dungeon. :/

lt519

Nailed that water tree on the second try, so bosssssss. Having triple jump helped big time I'm guessing. Loved Guacamelee and Dust but this game is immensely better.

Vexidus

Holy crap, I just finished the end sequence of the
Ginsu tree
and it was the most exhilarating experience I remember having in a game in many years. Of course I had to go for 100% orbs, so I spent lots of lives getting the hang of each section, getting a little smoother each time. Toward the end I was so tense that my abdomen was starting to cramp but I pushed through it because I knew I could do it. Then I did, I nailed it, and I felt like crying tears of joy. What an experience!

anyone else's xbox randomly recording clips? i noticed it does it for achievements (which makes sense i suppose), but it'll randomly do it when none pop up (or i guess where an achievement that i unlocked was before).

is this exclusive to this game or part of a recent update? i never noticed it before.

Rocketz

anyone else's xbox randomly recording clips? i noticed it does it for achievements (which makes sense i suppose), but it'll randomly do it when none pop up (or i guess where an achievement that i unlocked was before).

is this exclusive to this game or part of a recent update? i never noticed it before.

It was doing it me me either. It's actually kind of common. I don't understand why.

yuraya

OMGGGG

Just finished up the
Ginsu
level and holy shit that was amazing. In the ending I was all like...

airplane.gif

Such beauty and suspense. I haven't felt that type of rush since I played Dark Souls. The entire level was just platforming at its finest. GG Moon Studios.

Just now finished it, playtime was about 7 hours 45 min.

Really great game but some of the difficulty spikes were a bit much. Especially the areas where you have to do it all in one shot with no checkpoints. Also felt like there was just a big difficulty jump once you hit Misty Woods. Enemies have a lot more health and it got to the point, for me, where I just wanted to start skipping enemies instead of taking the time to kill them. Obviously Moon Studios wanted the game to be pretty challenging but some areas can lead to quite a bit of frustration but even given that I never felt overwhelmed to the point where I just wanted to put the controller down so I can't complain about it all that much.

Only other complaints I really have are not being able to reenter certain areas and not being able to play after the game is completed. It would have been nice to explore previous areas and grab collectibles that you missed. It's a really strange thing to not have accounted during development but what can you do. Maybe someday I'll go through and do a second playthrough to do some achievement cleanup.

Overall though it was a really great experience. The graphics/art and the music are phenomenal and I'll be incredibly surprised if Ori doesn't end up having the best soundtrack of the year by the time everything is said and done. Platforming controls are also great and it always felt like everything was responsive and precise. The core gameplay of Ori is really on point and it's really just an absolute joy to play from that standpoint. Definitely an easy recommendation for anyone that enjoys Metroidvania type games and/or games that aren't afraid to ramp up difficulty.

Lynn616

If it's the area I'm thinking of:
Use the bash on the spider projectile and aim yourself away from the breakable wall. The projectile flies out opposite the way you aim yourself and you can use that to break the wall.

I could be wrong and mixing that up with something similar but I believe that's it.

I had already tried that but it didnt work. I will try again if I get to that part again. Thanks.

puebla

Playing on Steam with no issues, game is running buttery smooth. I just got the water vein, and don't want to stop playing but I had to since I was dying a bit more than I'd like. Can't wait to get back to it.

Top Bottom