• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

lt519

How do you have triple jump that early?

Just leveled that tree path only and as soon as I unlocked powers I ran around collecting all the ability spheres I could find. There were a couple I think you were only supposed to get with Bash or Triple Jump but I found ways to wall/double jump to higher walls and then wall/double jump to the spheres. Seems relatively easy if you go get as many spheres as you can before moving to the tree, you don't need that many.

That sequence was relatively easy, I got stuck once not knowing to jump on the blue flower and once I did that I was fine, the triple jump bailed me out a lot.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Just got a cheevo for this lol.

a8F4TNR.gif

RoKKeR

Just got the
Sunstone
, wow that vista is beautiful. And the story moment there was nice.

Feel like I'm reaching the end :(, but I'm going to take my time on the way to the final objective and explore what I've missed.

As bummed as I am about this ending, I'm just as excited to jump back in after a few days and try my hand at some of the achivements/collectibles/secrets run, and to improve my terrible skills haha.

That sequence was relatively easy, I got stuck once not knowing to jump on the blue flower and once I did that I was fine, the triple jump bailed me out a lot.

Yes. Had this issue as well and it annoyed the piss out of me. Couldn't see the damn thing but once I realized it was there it became a lot easier. Visibility of some key objects in those platforming sequences would be nice.

Edit: I also wonder how the game is performing. I believe it's been in the Top 2 sellers on Steam behind Cities since it has launch and only recently has lost a few spots. Peak players today was 3k. Hard to gauge on the XBO side of things... game has 2,260 ratings which is a fair amount. Wonder when/if we'll hear about how it's doing and what the future of the franchise might look like. Does Moon have some sort of blog or anything? My only source has been thomas really, haha.

I got triple jump really early too. I'm about to do the second dungeon/escape and I've had it for a good hour. it's trivialized some of the platforming so I'm feeling kinda bad for getting it so early, but on the other hand, triple jump hell fucking yeah.

currently at 62% and everyone on my page of the leaderboard has less deaths than me so I'm happy about that. I still think my death count should be cut in half if I had any sense of patience or brains.

<3 ginso tree. the music and platforming are great, and when you learn
bash
everything changes.

maybe i'll like
the escape sequence
this time now that i know how to do it.

OMGGGG

Just finished up the
Ginsu
level and holy shit that was amazing. In the ending I was all like...

airplane.gif

Such beauty and suspense. I haven't felt that type of rush since I played Dark Souls. The entire level was just platforming at its finest. GG Moon Studios.

Was looking for this thread JUST to post EXACTLY about this experiencie... FUCK that was hard!

Devs were like....

"Hey! Congrats! Here is your new skill enjoy!"

and you are like, nice, pretty useful, this new mechanic opens a LOT of possibilities within the game....

Devs -

"Hey, pst! Enjoying the skill? Nice... but are you the fucking MASTER OF ALL THOSE SKILLS?!?!"

* Throws the harder section so far that uses all the skills your learned, you cant miss a SINGLE movement, and its time limited...*

img-thing

Oh, did i mention that you cant save after it started?

Stephen-colbert-report-excited.gif

After more than 15 tries i had fucking memorized EVERY single enemy, wall, jump, angle i had to do....

After you finish this section though:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

100 deaths later and I still can't get past this damn rising water part.

Must... keep... trying...

Don worry, you will get it eventually, you will just have to memorize every jump and bash... its pretty frustating dying over and over again but once you get it, ohhh dat dark souls feeling....

RyudBoy

aro52

Just finished the
tree section
too. GOOD LORD!

Don worry, you will get it eventually, you will just have to memorize every jump and bash... its pretty frustating dying over and over again but once you get it, ohhh dat dark souls feeling....

If Bloodborne is gonna be several hours of THOSE feelings, I don't think my body can handle it!
(I've never played the Dark Souls games, but Bloodborne has peaked my interest a bit.)

Dunkley

I'm currently in the Misty Woods and I can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I thought it was going to be all artsy and emotional, but the fact it is challenging makes things only better. I wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls since it does ease you into it's difficulty a lot better, but I agree that the
water rising
part is a git gud or git out moment. Loved how they used the achievement as a message to the player there.

Coincidentally as I'm typing this there's a interview/review on the radio with Thomas Mahler. I didn't know any Austrians were involved with the development, but I guess that only is another reason to like the game.

Gives me another local Gaming related person to look up to besides Durante.

Bluth54

I got hit by the can't jump out of water glitch, hopefully they get a patch out soon.

I took me like 25 tries to get through the rising water part before that, what a weird difficulty spike.

@Thomas et al, @Moon Studios - Once again for the 10000th time, thank you guys for such a freaking brilliant game!

I'm currently in the Misty Woods and I can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I thought it was going to be all artsy and emotional, but the fact it is challenging makes things only better. I wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls since it does ease you into it's difficulty a lot better, but I agree that the
water rising part
is a git gud or git out moment. Loved how they used the achievement as a message to the player there.

Coincidentally as I'm typing this there's a interview/review on the radio with Thomas Mahler. I didn't know any Austrians were involved with the development, but I guess that only is another reason to like the game.

Gives me another local Gaming related person to look up to besides Durante.

Please spoiler tag your posts! Put "[.spoiler.]" before and "[/spoiler]" after (without the two periods in the first one). This is VERY important in an OT when a game has just come out and it will upset folks. I've run through the game twice personally but others haven't. I fixed the part of your post that needed it.

I've done 2 playthroughs now, 2nd one was the "No Ability Points" one, which ramped up the difficulty quite a bit toward the end. I'm on my 3rd one currently and am going for No Deaths (Immortal achievement). It's actually pretty easy so far, but some latter sections are going to be painful.

i just realized i never used charge flame to fight with before...

hmm...

My friend did the same thing. We were playing simultaneously at launch and he was all like 'how the fuck are you flying past these enemies so easily?"

And I was like "I dunno, I just jump over and charge flame and they blow up nice and squishy-like."

And he was like "Fuck, I'm an idiot."

And I was like "Yup".

:) :)

Dunkley

Please spoiler tag your posts! Put "[.spoiler.]" before and "[/spoiler]" after (without the two periods in the first one). This is VERY important in an OT when a game has just come out and it will upset folks. I've run through the game twice personally but others haven't. I fixed the part of your post that needed it.

Edited it to fit your quote.

Sorry if I potentially spoilered anyone, I just felt like I saw someone talking about it openly but I guess I just accidently clicked away a spoiler tag on mobilegaf without noticing.

Takashi

Started playing this a couple hours ago and it's absolutely gorgeous. There seemed to be a small difficulty spike during
the escape of the Ginso Tree
so it felt pretty good clearing that.

My friend did the same thing. We were playing simultaneously at launch and he was all like 'how the fuck are you flying past these enemies so easily?"

And I was like "I dunno, I just jump over and charge flame and they blow up nice and squishy-like."

And he was like "Fuck, I'm an idiot."

And I was like "Yup".

:) :)

this is amazing. it's like a giant blue ring of nope, especially for those
tiny spiky guys

and i just learned that you can
bash piranhas underwater
. yuss

Started playing last evening, this has to be one of the best platformers I've played since my childhood. Beautiful to look at, fast and really sharp controls and tons of variation as you progress. Loving it!

35v6

I am really enjoying this game. I turned it off last night and had completed 40%. I turned it on tonight and the screen would keep flashing. I had to restart my xbox and now my save is at 17%. Not happy.

this is amazing. it's like a giant blue ring of nope, especially for those
tiny spiky guys

and i just learned that you can
bash piranhas underwater
. yuss

Lol yeah you'd be hating life if you didn't realize those two things for the 'no ability upgrades' run if you do it.

Game is amazeballs!

Edited it to fit your quote.

Sorry if I potentially spoilered anyone, I just felt like I saw someone talking about it openly but I guess I just accidently clicked away a spoiler tag on mobilegaf without noticing.

No worries mate. I haven't followed every page of the thread so there may be other spoilers. I just point 'em out when I see 'em to try and save anyone that doesn't want to even know tone, mode, or environmental aspects of the story. Cheers!

Lol yeah you'd be hating life if you didn't realize those two things for the 'no ability upgrades' run if you do it.

Game is amazeballs!

i'll do the 3 hour run but definitely not the other two. i don't want to be on the last level for the immortal achievement and then die.

Damn. That disrespect at the end.

ori is adorable.

and this level is perfection. need to play it while stoned.

Finally got the game. One of the best title screens with one of the best title screen music ever! I could just leave it on the title screen and just watch/listen to it. It's that good! Prologue is very emotional. Gameplay is very solid so far.

roytheone

So is the difficulty spike section in
the tree
everyone is talking about comparable to those " chase the treasure chest" levels in rayman: origin? Because I loved those levels.

T.O.P

Banned
The double jump makes the game even more fun, the few sequences right after the ugrade are absolutely amazing

Can't wait to play more tonight

Second playthrough ran 4~ hours. Next one should nab me the achievement, although I plan for it to be far below 3! A couple of neat sequence breaks have been discovered, the first being pixel/frame perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdsFJ20tHIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxgzqxA4cc

Seems to have a small community already. Hope we'll see some awesome runs in the future (if I get any really good ones I'll post them here)!

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Would be cool to see this picked up by a lot of people for speed running.

Second playthrough ran 4~ hours. Next one should nab me the achievement, although I plan for it to be far below 3! A couple of neat sequence breaks have been discovered, the first being pixel/frame perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdsFJ20tHIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxgzqxA4cc

Seems to have a small community already. Hope we'll see some awesome runs in the future (if I get any really good ones I'll post them here)!

that's cool can't wait to see the speedruns.

Truant

I think the main problem with the escape section(s) (could be more, I have only done one) is that it changes how the game handles difficulty. The entire game works in that way where you never feel it's your own fault for messing up. You're always in control, you always have options, and you can always save to minimize frustration.

The water sequence is the first time I felt the game was unfair. It started to mess with it's own rules and it almost felt like a different game - in a bad way. It soured me a bit on the game, because now I'm dreading having to go through at least two more of these terrible sequences. I think a good solution would be to allow for one save half-way through the sequence.

I don't really care if I come off as someone who is easlily frustrated or doesn't like a challenge, because the game was plently challening leading up to this. It's really frustrating since I was thinking this is one of the top 10 best games I have played in MY LIFE before that sequence.

Dabanton

I was pleased to look at my X1 friendslist and see most people playing this yesterday evening.

The game has sucked me in. I even delayed going to bed as I wanted to push on.

jimboton

I'm now 4 ish hours in (taking my time) and liking the game even more than before. The thing is, so far I like it far more as a platform game, both mechanichally and aesthetically than as a metroidvania. As a metroidvania I feel there's some qualities missing, such as sense of place, or maybe a sense of purpose to the places you visit? It's strange that in a game in which every last corner of the map has been individually and painstakingly rendered no parts of the world really stand out, it's all a bit of a (beautiful) blur. Having some meaning attached to parts of the world, including puzzles, secrets or interactions more abstract than the usual ones might have helped. As it is, it's a game one would struggle to make a mental image of the gameworld compared to, say, Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid. Still, eager to play a lot more of it as soon as I'm off work.

IbukiLordSA

So is the difficulty spike section in
the tree
everyone is talking about comparable to those " chase the treasure chest" levels in raymen: origin? Because I loved those levels.

I thought most of those where quite easy, did most on the first try. The escape level isn't really that hard it's more about knowing where and what to do, took a few tries but completed in quite quickly, you should get through in less than 5 minutes. So not too sure where the difficulty complaints are coming in.

I'm now 4 ish hours in (taking my time) and liking the game even more than before. The thing is, so far I like it far more as a platform game, both mechanichally and aesthetically than as a metroidvania. As a metroidvania I feel there's some qualities missing, such as sense of place, or maybe a sense of purpose to the places you visit? It's strange that in a game in which every last corner of the map has been individually and painstakingly rendered no parts of the world really stand out, it's all a bit of a (beautiful) blur. Having some meaning attached to parts of the world, including puzzles, secrets or interactions more abstract than the usual ones might have helped. As it is, it's a game one would struggle to make a mental image of the gameworld compared to, say, Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid. Still, eager to play a lot more of it as soon as I'm off work.

I can think of two areas that are VERY aesthetically distinct. Wait, make that three.... If you're taking your time, you're probably at where I was at the 3hr mark. Don't worry, you'll get there, and you'll love the looks of those places. :) I don't think it's necessarily a hallmark of a metroidvania to have massive differences between areas, but even that aside if you think about the premise of the game, most areas should have similarities because it's all one massive forest. I think the uniformity was intentional by the devs judging from how everything flows together with no abrubt or stark lines between 'zones', but they are all distinct in their own right. It's just that the transitional phases between the different zones do such a good job at adjusting your focus that you really don't notice the change as severely as in other titles of the genre.

I was pleased to look at my X1 friendslist and see most people playing this yesterday evening.

The game has sucked me in. I even delayed going to bed as I wanted to push on.

none of my friends bought it so I'm spamming their activity feed with screenshots and clips.

as an action platformer, it's really great, but i'm really starting to feel the lack of replayability. i've played cheaper titles for much longer than i'll probably play ori, which is disheartening because i don't want to stop playing. the combat makes every encounter interesting and i can lose myself in the vistas and score accompaniment. i just wish there were more reasons to continue: more secrets, more characters, more enemies, etc.

5olid_5nake

I have a small problem, it seems that when i plug in my lame ass Genius controller, it doesn't recognize shoulder buttons :/.
I tried with x360ce with no results, it seems that x360ce doesn't work with this game.
Anybody got a tip?

Top Bottom