• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you running Safari in fullscreen?
This would explain it too.

Either way, I see no reason it needs to be a feature at all. There's a button for it. There's a key combo for it. It shows up on the NTP. We don't need it to be popping up all the time when we don't want it.

It's as bad as the menubar showing up when all I want to do is click a button or tab at the top of the screen. Put a delay on that or make it always visible. It's just annoying as shit right now.

We any further on how to stop the obnoxious appearance of the left hand sidebar in Safari when the mouse hovers towards the left side of the screen?

This. This is the worst.

Who's stupid idea was this? We already have a freaking button to show the sidebar that nobody uses anyway. Why does it need to pop in automatically? With no option to disable it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I only want the sidebar to show up on my New Tab Page. Nowhere else. And I only want it to show up as Reading List. Not bookmarks. Not that social crap. Just Reading List. I already have a huge grid of bookmarks on the right side, I don't need it constantly defaulting to bookmarks on the sidebar too.

Wait. All of you who don't like how you activate split-screen in OS X: Do you know you can drag a window to the top of the screen to activate Mission Control and therefore drag it to split-screen?

No different then dragging to the side in Windows, outside of being Fullscreen mode only.

Anyways, I just figured it out, at least.

My only problem with Full-screen mode is how Safari rescales webpages. I want to fullscreen but still have everything at 100%. The scaling messes up page formatting pretty badly.

Can someone post a screenshot of what the issue is so I can see what this sidebar apocalypse is?
The best part is it absolutely destroys access to the left-hand dock.
jsFgNjH.png

samn

So I'm trying out OS X on the desktop, with a Logitech gaming mouse. I have used OS X on laptops before, and there, with the trackpad, it's a dream. But I have never had so many issues setting up a system to use a mouse comfortably.

The main issue is scroll acceleration. If I'm scrolling down a page at a constant speed it will suddenly start scrolling much much faster. And I have to stop, and then start scrolling again, otherwise it sends me right down to the bottom of the page.

I can switch this off with 3rd party tools, but then at a comfortable speed setting for Safari, certain other apps will scroll too much - like Finder, which will skip past several pages of icons with one nudge - or too little - like Photos, which barely scrolls at all.

I have also tried keeping acceleration on with a lower setting just for acceleration, but this doesn't really solve my problems.

Is there any fix for this, other than giving in to their poor mouse support and spending £50 I don't have on an official Apple trackpad?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My only problem with Full-screen mode is how Safari rescales webpages. I want to fullscreen but still have everything at 100%. The scaling messes up page formatting pretty badly.
I hope they work something out so that there's a new callback or something that runs when the page resizes and lets the site use a new CSS file or switch to a new layout made for narrower screens. Both Windows and OS X now prominently do this same split view thing so it's only a matter of time. When I view Twitter or FaceBook in a separate Safari window, it should switch to a more mobile-like layout on the fly.

I hope they work something out so that there's a new callback or something that runs when the page resizes and lets the site use a new CSS file or switch to a new layout made for narrower screens. Both Windows and OS X now prominently do this same split view thing so it's only a matter of time. When I view Twitter or FaceBook in a separate Safari window, it should switch to a more mobile-like layout on the fly.

I think this is the ultimate answer, and why Apple opted to have the behavior that it does, since many sites are already doing this (to my frustration, sometimes).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think this is the ultimate answer, and why Apple opted to have the behavior that it does, since many sites are already doing this (to my frustration, sometimes).
Would be neat if it could be set to automatically change the default User Agent for a Safari window to iPad when it's narrow. It wouldn't need to reload the page or anything, but any new links or reloads would switch to mobile view without problems, then switch back when the window is resized back to wider than say 500 pixel units. It would be a worthy compromise. If only SafariStand were still alive. Or Saft. Maybe one of them could implement it.

samn

This already exists, it has done for years, and split-screen in Windows and iOS 9 (iPad) and even Safari before El Capitan's split screen mode works fine with it.

Try it with this http://www.theguardian.com/uk but not in full screen mode, drag it wider and narrower and you'll see the layout change

The problem is with Apple's implementation.

(It has nothing to do with user agents either, the CSS file contains rules for each screen width regardless of platform)

Whelp I tried everything to fix my MacBook Pro. Went to terminal and tried "fsck" repair but nope. Couldn't verify the hard drive. Tried to back up but nope. Input/output error every single time.

Decided to just to a clean install. Seems to be working fine now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This already exists, it has done for years, and split-screen in Windows and iOS 9 (iPad) works fine with it.

Try it with this http://www.theguardian.com/uk but not in full screen mode, drag it wider and narrower and you'll see the layout change

The problem is with Apple's implementation.

(It has nothing to do with user agents either, the CSS file contains rules for each screen width regardless of platform)
Actually it still works right with fullscreen split view. So I guess as long as the CSS has a setting for smaller narrower layouts, it will ignore the zooming.

Then I guess we need to get sites to step up their game.

samn

Actually it still works right with fullscreen split view. So I guess as long as the CSS has a setting for smaller narrower layouts, it will ignore the zooming.

Then I guess we need to get sites to step up their game.

Are you sure about that? Try it with the Guardian, you shouldn't have any horizontal scrolling at any width if Apple have implemented this properly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you sure about that? Try it with the Guardian, you shouldn't have any horizontal scrolling at any width if Apple have implemented this properly.
I just said it works. It works fine. So I guess one site out of billions working correctly is a good start.

samn

I just said it works. It works fine. So I guess one site out of billions working correctly is a good start.

Ah okay.

Which sites have you had problems with? I can't think of many (maybe any) I visit that haven't already shifted to responsive design.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ah okay.

Which sites have you had problems with? I can't think of many (maybe any) I visit that haven't already shifted to responsive design.
None. I don't really keep Safari crammed on the side. But when you do, it just squishes them down which is what people are complaining about. Not many sites have started taking advantage of this ability yet. Hopefully in time they will.

We need to get the MobileGAF guy to look into this too. I understand the mobile site is a separate group of PHP files but I bet they could work something out with the CSS.

Lnkn52

Having issues where indesign 5.5 keeps crashing at startup.

Update: Disabling the auto hide the menu bar fixed it.

EmiPrime

Is there any way to select which folders iCloud Drive will sync to a particular machine? I want to have a second cloud backup (currently using Google Drive) of certain files but I don't want them syncing to both my (active) Macs especially as the MBA only has 128GB. From what I can tell iCloud Drive is all or nothing.

edit: I should have Googled and known better than to consider one of Apple's services; selective sync is still not possible with iCloud. Maybe next year!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there any way to select which folders iCloud Drive will sync to a particular machine? I want to have a second cloud backup (currently using Google Drive) of certain files but I don't want them syncing to both my (active) Macs especially as the MBA only has 128GB. From what I can tell iCloud Drive is all or nothing.

edit: I should have Googled and known better than to consider one of Apple's services; selective sync is still not possible with iCloud. Maybe next year!
Nope. Sadly iCloud is a far cry from the other services. Which is why I'm still with DropBox. iCloud would need the following features for me to consider happily jumping ship:

Selective Sync
Symlink support (So I can keep my files where they are and just put links to them so DropBox uploads them anyway)
Stop obfuscating the folder location and just put the Drive files in my Home folder
LAN Sync (Where it syncs the files from one machine directly to another on your local network once it's finished uploading to the server to save time so the other machine doesn't need to use your internet bandwidth and download speed)

Then again DropBox really needs to offer a lower tier than 1TB for $10. Completely stupid really. All I want is maybe 100GB. Why not offer that for $1? Why not just go all out and do a $1 per 100GB deal that automatically expands as you add files? Why do I have to pay $10 for 990GB I'm not going to use? Also their photo viewing features suck and they push that stupid Carousel app on you when all I want is to view my image files (Not photos! That's what Photos.app is for!) in a grid by folder. Is that too much to ask, DropBox? That your iOS app doesn't suck ass? Also those fucking green check marks on all my files are annoying when I view in icon view. I hesitate to put more files in DropBox because I don't want all those icons. Just put a blue icon when syncing and no badge when it's finished! Not hard, guys! /rant

And Google Drive isn't really an option even though it has a nicer starting pool because all my apps are already integrated with DropBox and iCloud. No one seems to like supporting Google Drive. Also, I don't know if it's been fixed since, but when I evaluated it, it had problems a lot with syncing immediately. DropBox has never failed me there. Even iCloud Drive takes forever.

In the end, I end up sticking with DropBox. But haven't gone back to a paid plan yet because of their limited tier choice. How do we convince them to offer one? Because it's ridiculous.

Ninja Dom

Anyone got any advice with Photos app and watching video in general.

I want to watch my videos in Photos app at their native res (720p, 1080p and 4K) but the app plays the videos in it's own window within the app at the same size/dimensions regardless of original video size. (I'm on a 27" non-Retina iMac).

How do I get Photos app to play my videos at their native res? I don't want to have to export the videos into a folder and watch them with Quicktime as the videos will then exist twice on my hard drive.

EmiPrime

Nope. Sadly iCloud is a far cry from the other services. Which is why I'm still with DropBox. iCloud would need the following features for me to consider happily jumping ship:

Selective Sync
Symlink support (So I can keep my files where they are and just put links to them so DropBox uploads them anyway)
Stop obfuscating the folder location and just put the Drive files in my Home folder
LAN Sync (Where it syncs the files from one machine directly to another on your local network once it's finished uploading to the server to save time so the other machine doesn't need to use your internet bandwidth and download speed)

Then again DropBox really needs to offer a lower tier than 1TB for $10. Completely stupid really. All I want is maybe 100GB. Why not offer that for $1? Why not just go all out and do a $1 per 100GB deal that automatically expands as you add files? Why do I have to pay $10 for 990GB I'm not going to use? Also their photo viewing features suck and they push that stupid Carousel app on you when all I want is to view my image files (Not photos! That's what Photos.app is for!) in a grid by folder. Is that too much to ask, DropBox? That your iOS app doesn't suck ass? Also those fucking green check marks on all my files are annoying when I view in icon view. I hesitate to put more files in DropBox because I don't want all those icons. Just put a blue icon when syncing and no badge when it's finished! Not hard, guys! /rant

And Google Drive isn't really an option even though it has a nicer starting pool because all my apps are already integrated with DropBox and iCloud. No one seems to like supporting Google Drive. Also, I don't know if it's been fixed since, but when I evaluated it, it had problems a lot with syncing immediately. DropBox has never failed me there. Even iCloud Drive takes forever.

In the end, I end up sticking with DropBox. But haven't gone back to a paid plan yet because of their limited tier choice. How do we convince them to offer one? Because it's ridiculous.

My only gripe with Google Drive is that I can't put my 1password database in there. I don't know who is at fault there but given that plenty of apps can plug into Google Drive just fine I suspect Agilebits are to blame. It means I have to use Dropbox just for that one purpose.

But yeah, SERIOUSLY, what the hell is up with Dropbox's pricing and iCloud Drive still being a big load of balls? Apple finally got their pricing just right but this weird obfuscation in OS X means I don't think I can trust it with my data and the lack of selective sync is a huge black mark for second machines with limited SSD space.

I wish Apple sites would rake Apple over the coals for this nonsense. I feel like only ATP kick up a stink about it.

upandaway

Ever since I upgraded, MPlayer X upscaling got really jaggy and weird and I'm on the latest version. Anyone got a fix to that or a different video player?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My only gripe with Google Drive is that I can't put my 1password database in there. I don't know who is at fault there but given that plenty of apps can plug into Google Drive just fine I suspect Agilebits are to blame. It means I have to use Dropbox just for that one purpose.

But yeah, SERIOUSLY, what the hell is up with Dropbox's pricing and iCloud Drive still being a big load of balls? Apple finally got their pricing just right but this weird obfuscation in OS X means I don't think I can trust it with my data and the lack of selective sync is a huge black mark for second machines with limited SSD space.

I wish Apple sites would rake Apple over the coals for this nonsense. I feel like only ATP kick up a stink about it.
I would take iClouds price tiers with DropBox's features. Shame. I'd almost say Apple should buy DropBox but that would ruin it completely. And it's obvious they'll never copy it completely. You'd think with their whole "cloud based" thinking they'd at least have an option built into OS X that keeps some files (Lesser used ones) on the Cloud and only downloads and caches when you need them but still shows their icons in the Finder (With a cloud badge) and downloads them when you open them. It's horrible obfuscation and inability to support Symlinks is the only reason I won't even consider it. I'll only upgrade my iCloud when I need more photo space. I wouldn't even care about the obfuscation if I could just use symlinks and keep my documents where they are.

I also need DropBox for my 1Password because I don't have the App Store version on my Mac. So until I upgrade next time they do a major release I will keep it in my DropBox. I don't know why 1Password doesn't offer Google Drive support or other Cloud apps too. Why only DropBox and iCloud? There's a lot of others that all work across platforms. Weird. I'd contact AgileBits myself if you're really curious about it. I also use DropBox and Hazel for automating moving of files from my MacBook to my server. It's really convenient.

When my CrashPlan subscription ends I'm contemplating migrating all my actual documents into DropBox (Or iCloud if they fix their shit, they won't though) and just using that instead. But I really hope by then they have at least a $5 500GB plan. All I need is maybe 200GB at most. Most of my data on my 512GB disk is Steam games. Those don't need to be backed up to the cloud since I can just redownload them if my house burns down. Obviously I have local network backups. This is just for "extreme circumstances" if I happen to lose everything I own one day. (God forbid) CP stopped offering the cheap plan I was using and their app leaves something to be desired. So I might just change my game plan all together. Basically DB would be $120 a year at its current pricing. I paid under $400 for 4 years on CP for up to 10 machines. I just really don't like their frontend for restoring. So I dunno. (I have 7 months left to decide)

VLC is working okay for me when it isn't rebuilding its font cache...
Is this 2011? That hasn't happened for me in years. I thought the app stopped doing that years ago. If not, it's at least an option you can turn off.

Edit: Here's an article from 2011... the last time I've had it happen for me.
http://lifehacker.com/5743209/disable-constant-font-cache-building-in-vlc

EmiPrime

Yeah I tried to fix that in VLC when it started happening again but I couldn't find the option to do it. I've now realised it's because VLC hides a lot of options behind one of those skanky cross platform UIs that look trash on OS X. Fixed now though!

I just looked into it again, looks like Agilebits are willing.

Steve did try to buy Dropbox and they said no.

How did that work out? Dropbox has since gathered 175 million users, because the app is so simple: It looks and works just like any other folder on your desktop, but it's in the cloud, so no matter what device you're using your files are all right there. No special tech skills needed.

iCloud, by contrast, doubtless has millions of Apple users — but only because Apple's operating system goes to lengths to prompt users into using it. As a product, it's confusing. You have to dig it out of the system preferences to manage it. Typical iCloud users often ask, How do I use this thing? Are my files backed up on it or not? And why isn't there a simple folder letting me see them?

Aint that the truth.

RoKKeR

Alright, really dumbass question incoming. So the colors on my display (2013 MBPr) were looking a bit weird so I went into the color section of the Display settings somehow managed to delete the Color LCD profile from my machine. Again, not really sure how I managed to do that, but, it happened. lol

Now I'm on Thunderbolt Display and for the most part things look the same, but is there any way to get that Color LCD profile back?

Alright, really dumbass question incoming. So the colors on my display (2013 MBPr) were looking a bit weird so I went into the color section of the Display settings somehow managed to delete the Color LCD profile from my machine. Again, not really sure how I managed to do that, but, it happened. lol

Now I'm on Thunderbolt Display and for the most part things look the same, but is there any way to get that Color LCD profile back?

Yes, it should be a file located on the machine, since yours is gone, ask someone to send the color profile to you.

antispin

Folks, how do I enable WebGL in Safari 9.0? I've turned the Develop menu on but don't see the WebGL option. Thanks in advance!

Mortemis

Banned
Been having a problem since I upgraded. Looks like handoff isn't working, so I go into settings on both my mac and my iPhone and turn it on, but that doesn't do anything. And now whenever I try to pair my iPhone to my mac, my iPhone gives me the warning of "Mortemis' Macbook Pro is not supported".

Anyone know how to fix this?

@zeyphersan
Sounds perfectly reasonable. You're still gonna have to keep your gmail for YouTube though, right?
Has iCloud mail been perfectly reliable? It's great that it supports Push on iOS. On OSX I think I have Mail poll my gmail every minute so it's almost as fast as Push. What's iCloud spam filtering like?

I'm just worried that Apple will change their email system again down the line. In the time I've had my Gmail, I've also had a Mac.co

To answer this question, it's pretty bad. As far as I can tell there's no server-side spam filtering, it relies on Mail on my Mac to do it as a program. What this means is that since all my devices are set to Push, they all receive a mail message at the same time. However, my Mac will immediately put any Spam messages into the Junk folder, but by the time it does my iPad and iPhone have already gotten the notification that I have a new message, since the message has to hit the inbox FIRST before my Mac can move it into spam

Not happy with that one bit

bionic77

Safari slower for anyone else?
Been a little janky for me sometimes coming out of sleep.

There is a weird lag sometimes with the keyboard and magic mouse. Very annoying. Had to restart once to make it go away.

Hopefully this shit gets cleaned up in the next update.

Apple really needs help in the cloud department. Some of their iCloud decisions are so baffling. I know Jr. Developers with less than a year of experience who wouldn't make some of these boneheaded decisions. These decisions have to ones made by execs.

DCS

Banned
Apple really needs help in the cloud department. Some of their iCloud decisions are so baffling. I know Jr. Developers with less than a year of experience who wouldn't make some of these boneheaded decisions. These decisions have to ones made by execs.
Such as?

EmiPrime

Given how consistently awful Apple's services are I am inclined to agree, the buck has to stop with Eddy Cue. They have the prestige and money to hire whoever they need to yet their services are hobbled by stupid design decisions that must have come from on high or from lack of investment. The acquisition of beats and its half-arsed integration into iTunes is the latest example of this; a company of Apple's stature and with its contacts in the record industry should have been able to go it alone years ago (before Spotify got a foothold as the market leader) without spunking 3bn on a mediocre headphone company.

hirokazu

What's the problem with iCloud? It's been mostly stable recently though a few issues have caused me grief. They just need to be more competitive with rival offerings.

EmiPrime

What's the problem with iCloud? It's been mostly stable recently though a few issues have caused me grief. They just need to be more competitive with rival offerings.

Scroll up on this page for icloud drive grievances. As for icloud itself, it still has regular outages. Google are far more reliable for contacts and calendar sync.

Top Bottom