• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

What have you tried? Is the encryption paused, or is it still going? Deeeetails.

It says "paused, please plug in to continue."

After plugging in, it says "estimated time..." then disappears, then "encryption paused."

I havent clicked the FileVault icon ever until today.

Ninja Dom

I'd go through and compare them to see if something is missing.

Tried opening iPhoto and the pop up message said my pictures had been migrated to Photos app. I opened iPhoto anyway and it had no new pictures in it and was pretty much exactly the same as I last used it over 6 months ago. So I'm gonna delete.

Sch1sm

It says "paused, please plug in to continue."

After plugging in, it says "estimated time..." then disappears, then "encryption paused."

I havent clicked the FileVault icon ever until today.

Weird. You can try at the third post outlined here, but that File Vault issue is a recurring issue. Thought they sought out to fix it in Yosemite, but I guess it's never ending.

Other option is leaving it plugged in for the x amount of days it'll take to encrypt, but who has that patience?

Weird. You can try at the third post outlined here, but that File Vault issue is a recurring issue. Thought they sought out to fix it in Yosemite, but I guess it's never ending.

Other option is leaving it plugged in for the x amount of days it'll take to encrypt, but who has that patience?

I left for an hour, came back and still had this window sitting on the screen:
CmbkqXYl.png

The laptop is plugged in, but still no estimated time. It is bullshit.

Everything was working fine until I updated iTunes to try and do a restoration for my new iPad. Once iTunes updated, everything went to shit. So I updated my Yosemite to see if that would fix it, and no. So I am trying to install El Capitan and nothing still. Just the spinning beach ball on iTunes. And now FileVault is being an ass.

thenexus6

FileVault screwed me when I got this new macbook. I had to factory reset and make sure I unticked the option on first boot.

Did disk utility repair on startup after resetting the pram. Rebooted, now it says it is optimizing. So at least it isn't stuck. Thinking I will turn off FileVault after this.

EDIT: BULLSHIT. Waited an hour or so, and once the timer ran out it says: "encryption paused." AAAAAH!

Does anyone else get a beach ball and a blank (black) menu bar at start up for about 30 seconds? Menu bar used to show up immediately on Yosemite on my 2012 MBA.

Camera light suddenly keeps flashing when clicking on certain apps (single flash) for some reason. Primarily noticed on Messages, any ideas?

Ninja Dom

Anybody have any troubles downloading the new iMovie update from the Mac App Store? The Mac App Store is saying to me Service Not Available after I sign in.

Estocolmo

How do I delete the iPhoto application on my list? Hasn't it been integrated into Photos?

I can only vouch for Word (rarely use the others) but it works fine, I haven't had any problems.

Word has worked for me when I used it on a school project this friday. I had El Capitan installed.

Anybody have any troubles downloading the new iMovie update from the Mac App Store? The Mac App Store is saying to me Service Not Available after I sign in.

Yes I have the exact same problem. Problems downloading apps on iOs aswell.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish this thread had a subtitle like the iOS 9 thread. I vote for "Got a Little Capitan in You?" or something like that.

How do I delete the iPhoto application on my list? Hasn't it been integrated into Photos?
You mean from the App Store purchases tab? You can right-click and hide it. And I think if you are in LaunchPad you can press and hold on the icon until they jiggle and click the X to uninstall any app installed from the App Store safely. Including iPhoto, iMovie, etc.

Chrome is utterly killing my MBP battery. Shit doesn't last more than 4 hours.
Chrome for Mac hasn't been worth my time for years since Safari stepped its game up. It'll never grace my machine again.

The iTunes Store is down: http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

You won't be able to get iOS app updates or buy media off iTunes either until it's fixed.
Interesting, app updates are working for me. Must be localized to certain servers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bookmark toolbar is ugly as sin with multiple tabs open. All grey. Can barely read it.
Yeah, lack of Favicons is Safari's major failing. There have been utilities but they require SIMBL and Apple seems to be quietly fighting with the devs of all these utilities because every update breaks it.

I don't understand Apple's weird mixed hatred for favicons. They show up in the Bookmarks menu. But not the sidebar. They don't even use them in the favorites grid rather opt for the other special "mobile logo icon" instead that not all sites use even though many sites use perfectly good favicons with larger versions that would work well in the empty icons. They don't show up in the favorites bar (Which I don't use anyway) or tabs or even the tab overview. It makes no sense. Just put it in as an option already! Have it off by default. Problem solved. They don't understand exactly how important visual cues are for this shit.

It took them forever just to put in the Chrome style status bar that everyone else adopted and kept that useless old style status bar instead which has never gotten any use in Safari ever and was a relic of the old generation of browsers. They helped popularize tabs at least. But they also helped popularize not having a separate Reload button which is bad.

Safari's little speaker icon on tabs that are playing sound and its ability to not load a tab in the background until I focus it even when opening it (Unlike Firefox which still loads newly opened tabs but will still keep them all unloaded when launching the browser) is a godsend though. I hated the days of Chrome, which does not prevent pages from loading in the background when you launch the browser, when I had to hunt down the YouTube pages I had open every time I launched it just to pause them all. Coupled with Chrome's slow startup making this impossible and the fact that extensions loaded inline and would usually not load until after the tabs were which made the "automatically prevent videos from playing" extensions useless, and it was a nightmare that I was happy to wake up from when Mavericks/iOS 7 came out.

All browsers aren't perfect. I just choose the one that's most perfect for me. ❤️ Safari.

Ninja Dom

Not a big deal but what is up with Safari opening up new tabs in random positions on the tab bar? Rather than new tabs opening on the far left (like iOS) or far right?

You may have 7 tabs open, and in the first tab (far left) you click on a link to open in a new tab...and Safari may make this new tab the 4th tab along. Why?

Number45

Not a big deal but what is up with Safari opening up new tabs in random positions on the tab bar? Rather than new tabs opening on the far left (like iOS) or far right?

You may have 7 tabs open, and in the first tab (far left) you click on a link to open in a new tab...and Safari may make this new tab the 4th tab along. Why?
If you command click on a link, by default it opens to the right of the one you have open. If you command click on another link in the same page it will open to the right of the one it just opened - is that consistent with what you're seeing?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think it has something to do with tabs being grouped based on their parent. I dunno. It opens it after the last child tab.

Sometimes I wish I could manually force tabs into their own threads though. I hate having them grouped. I have 41 tabs right now but it only takes 20 processes because a lot of them are grouped with another tab for some reason. Even after relaunches.

I know why they group though. I think it has something to do with JavaScript needing to be able to send messages between tabs and I guess the sandbox requires them to be one process. Still, very rarely do I ever have pages open that need to talk to other pages. I just hate when I get that "not responding. Do you want to continue?" message because one of the processes is sleeping or dead or something.

Moreche

Just bought my first OSX device, 13 MBP but when I sign up my yahoo mail account, it's giving me a login error.
Any help?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh then my point still stands. You don't need iPhoto anymore. Open LaunchPad and delete it.

Unless you still use iPhoto, then keep it until you don't.

On a personal note, putting an Applications folder in your Dock is so limited compared to actually using LaunchPad instead. Either way, delete the app via LaunchPad and it will be uninstalled properly and won't show up anymore. (Just make sure you've properly migrated to Photos and everything works right before you uninstall it and delete the old iPhoto library.)

Estocolmo

Oh then my point still stands. You don't need iPhoto anymore. Open LaunchPad and delete it.

Unless you still use iPhoto, then keep it until you don't.

On a personal note, putting an Applications folder in your Dock is so limited compared to actually using LaunchPad instead. Either way, delete the app via LaunchPad and it will be uninstalled properly and won't show up anymore. (Just make sure you've properly migrated to Photos and everything works right before you uninstall it and delete the old iPhoto library.)

Thats the thing I dont dare to remove iPhotos because i dont know if the migration has worked properly, I see all the photos has moved over but Im not sure if theres something else stuck in the background. (I thought it would migrate automatically all the necessary stuff when updating the OS).

EmiPrime

I don't rate Safari at all. No favicons, can't block video ads, limited extensions, always behind the times (pinned tabs 5 years after Chrome), not cross-platform, no Chromecast support, can only restore one tab with cmd+z and no recent tabs, updates only once a year, need to have flash installed to see flash content, occasional stutters and beachballs, have to install an extension to get a reload button...

Now that the Chrome team are taking battery life seriously (it's literally improving every month) I see no reason to use Safari unless you are firmly in Apple's ecosystem. Whoever it is at Apple who is preventing favicons in Safari is a total nob. At least make it a preference or even a Terminal command for those who want it you utter pillocks.

Ambitious

Safari is still locking up if you delete too many history items at once. That's just hilarious.

edit: Also, some deleted history items will reappear after a few seconds. I've posted about this issue in the Yosemite thread back then. Of course it hasn't been fixed. Because iCloud is shit. It always was and always will be.

edit 2: Oh look, now I've got a few hundred history items from Monday, the 1st of January 2001. Hello there.

Quick question guys, is there an extension for Safari to access IP based websites like Netflix and Hulu? I know Hola works well for Chrome but can't find anything similar for Safari and I do not want to use Chrome on my Mac.

Weevilone

I just realized that my B&W MM-1's haven't worked since the El Capitan upgrade. They aren't even listed in sound preferences. Hmm..

DOWN

Banned
There an iOS thread? Trying to find out if deleting the beta profile means my phone will seamlessly switch over to the public final builds only once the next one releases?

Nander

Because of reasons (partly that I can't decide which laptop to buy as the Surface Book doesn't seem to release anytime soon in Europe) I have resorted to temporarily using my 2008 unibody Macbook again. It is currently running Lion - would it be a good idea to update to El Capitan, or would that be too much for it to handle?

Vashetti

Banned
When is 10.11.1 final due to release?

Thinking of doing a clean install of that and then opting out of beta updates.

Haven't had any issues but I want to go back to official stable releases.

Fuchsdh

Because of reasons (partly that I can't decide which laptop to buy as the Surface Book doesn't seem to release anytime soon in Europe) I have resorted to temporarily using my 2008 unibody Macbook again. It is currently running Lion - would it be a good idea to update to El Capitan, or would that be too much for it to handle?

Might try upgrading to Mavericks instead—I imagine moving to Yosemite might come with some slowdowns.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thats the thing I dont dare to remove iPhotos because i dont know if the migration has worked properly, I see all the photos has moved over but Im not sure if theres something else stuck in the background. (I thought it would migrate automatically all the necessary stuff when updating the OS).
Chances are it migrated fine. As long as you launched Photos once and it made a copy of your iPhoto Library and named it Photos Library. The two apps pretty much use a nearly identical library structure. You're pretty much safe. Launch Photos. Look around. Make sure it's all there. Delete iPhoto. Delete iPhoto Library. Done. If you're worried, make a backup first.

Ambitious

Oh cool, that one annoying scrolling-related UI bug of the sidebar in Preview.app hasn't been fixed either. I mean of course it hasn't.

If you have many PDFs open in the same window and close one of them from the sidebar, the scrollbar on the right side will suddenly enlarge to the full height of the sidebar. Then, as soon as you start to scroll in any direction, the sidebar will instantly jump down to the very bottom.

preview20os6x.gif

Ambitious

Rather frequently, BetterTouchTool stops recognizing any gestures after waking my Mac from standby. Anyone having the same issue?
I distinctly remember that this bug was introduced a long time ago. Early 2014, maybe? Not sure. The dev released a fix shortly after, which did indeed fix the issue for a while, but at some point it returned.

Clearly supposed to be an Apple event this week. We had new Macs, new accessories, big iWork update. They've had an event this time of year for the past 3 years.
Likely they cancelled it and moved El Cap release up, moved iPads into the Sept event.

EmiPrime

I wish iCloud wasn't so terrible. I love the idea of having a native Mac app as well as a web app for word processing but it needs a cloud storage system that isn't a total disaster.

Calendar still won't let me add an address to the quick event creation. I can add a title, a time, but never a location.

I highly recommend Fantastical 2.

Top Bottom