• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Number45

The acquisition of beats and its half-arsed integration into iTunes is the latest example of this; a company of Apple's stature and with its contacts in the record industry should have been able to go it alone years ago (before Spotify got a foothold as the market leader) without spunking 3bn on a mediocre headphone company.
It seems pretty clear thus far that they bought Beats for the brand rather than the product.

EmiPrime

It seems pretty clear thus far that they bought Beats for the brand rather than the product.

Given Apple is the most valuable brand in the world that would be even more baffling.

I know the "Steve Jobs wouldn't have done this" game is tired but he never would have bought beats, especially not when Tim Cook did. He would have bought a music streaming startup with a dozen employees who had come up with a unique hook for south of $30m 3 years ago.

Fuchsdh

Given Apple is the most valuable brand in the world that would be even more baffling.

I know the "Steve Jobs wouldn't have done this" game is tired but he never would have bought beats, especially not when Tim Cook did. He would have bought a music streaming startup with a dozen employees who had come up with a unique hook for south of $30m 3 years ago.

Playing a game of "what Steve woulda' done" is a bad one, especially since Steve wasn't infallible. Steve was against the whole "renting music" thing back in the earlier days of iTunes vs. Rhapsody and Napster. Who knows if he would have pivoted faster than Apple is now.

As is, I'm someone who still buys their damn music, so the changes to music are pretty universally bad for me. iTunes and the Music app need some major reorganization to make things simpler.

EmiPrime

Playing a game of "what Steve woulda' done" is a bad one, especially since Steve wasn't infallible. Steve was against the whole "renting music" thing back in the earlier days of iTunes vs. Rhapsody and Napster. Who knows if he would have pivoted faster than Apple is now.

As is, I'm someone who still buys their damn music, so the changes to music are pretty universally bad for me. iTunes and the Music app need some major reorganization to make things simpler.

I think he was a deeply flawed person who had his fair share of dud products and that game falls apart if you do assume he was infallible (all the cloud storage services he launched sucked after all and he knew it) but it's accurate to say that he wouldn't have done the beats acquisition just by looking at the sort of acquisitions he made. Despite being dogmatic he wasn't deluded; he was very aware that Google were far ahead of Apple on services and that iOS was falling behind Android in certain key areas. I think he would have come around on music streaming and gone about it in a different way. Chances are it would have sucked as much as Apple Music does now, he just wouldn't have spunked $3bn on a mediocre lifestyle headphone company to that end.

Chances are it would have sucked as much as Apple Music does now, he just wouldn't have spunked $3bn on a mediocre lifestyle headphone company to that end.

Paying $3b for a profitable leader in the premium headphone market and execs that already managed to launch a subscription music service?

Apple got a fucking bargain.

EmiPrime

Paying $3b for a profitable leader in the premium headphone market and execs that already managed to launch a subscription music service?

Apple got a fucking bargain.

If Apple wanted to get into the headphone market they didn't need beats to do so and beats music was an also ran in the streaming business.

I don't see it as a bargain.

If Apple wanted to get into the headphone market they didn't need beats to do so and beats music was an also ran in the streaming business.

I don't see it as a bargain.

Look at it this way, Spotify's last funding round pre-Apple Music had them valued at $8b. If Apple wanted to buy Spotify outright it would have required almost that much. Instead they picked up Beats for $3b and got the expertise and contacts they needed to make Apple Music.

EmiPrime

Look at it this way, Spotify's last funding round pre-Apple Music had them valued at $8b. If Apple wanted to buy Spotify outright it would have required almost that much. Instead they picked up Beats for $3b and got the expertise and contacts they needed to make Apple Music.

And they made a crappy product that nobody wants to use now that the 3 month trial is over, QED.

They would have been better off buying Spotify 2 years ago when it was valued at $4bn and they would have got the finished product on web, Mac, Windows, iOS and Android and they would have been able to keep it distinct from iTunes.

When I go to "About this Mac" I see this:
jRYln7Z.png

It looks like I'm still running some version of the beta. But when I click the "Software Update" button (or go into the App Store manually), there is no update available for El Capitan.

So how do I get past the beta version and install the final version?

moving

Neo Member
Anyone else experiencing extreme slowness on MacBook Pro? (Mine is mid-2012). I ran Yosemite fine. Created a new partition and installed the El Capitan GM, and later updated to full retails release and... it's just unbearably slow.

Sometimes it lags and beachballs me for a while even right clicking on the desktop. Just counted a delay of 10 seconds before showing the right click menu.

Anyone have any suggestions? :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When I go to "About this Mac" I see this:
jRYln7Z.png

It looks like I'm still running some version of the beta. But when I click the "Software Update" button (or go into the App Store manually), there is no update available for El Capitan.

So how do I get past the beta version and install the final version?
Funny thing is you should have been bumped to the 10.11.1 beta by now.

I assume you want to just jump to the final 10.11 and stay there. Open System Preferences and go to App Store > Change (Under "set to receive pre-release updates") and change it to "Don't". Then check again. If it doesn't work, just go to the App Store and manually download the El Capitan installer from the store. But turn off Pre-Release first anyway so you stay on the stable channel. (If you want to)

EmiPrime

Anyone else experiencing extreme slowness on MacBook Pro? (Mine is mid-2012). I ran Yosemite fine. Created a new partition and installed the El Capitan GM, and later updated to full retails release and... it's just unbearably slow.

Sometimes it lags and beachballs me for a while even right clicking on the desktop. Just counted a delay of 10 seconds before showing the right click menu.

I would erase it and start again.

Putzweg

With Beats they saw a powerful music brand. It was the brand and nothing else they wanted. Its evident from the fact they fired pretty much all the people in the company once it merged with Apple.

What are they using the Beats brand for?

-Making cool headphones
- Launching a music streaming service
- Propping up the Apple coolness - in touch with the creative music mind- factor

jstripes

Banned
I don't think it was for either. It was to bring Iovine on board for Apple Music.

Yup. It was primarily for the talent and experience. Do you think Tim Cook could have rounded-up the Beats 1 crew on his own?

We're only a few months into this thing. Just like every new thing from Apple, give it time to evolve.

I am on Yosemite and everything is great.

Honestly i am wondering if i will notice an improvement or drop is OS.

I love apple but lately the software has been of terrible quality.

Doffen

Safari is really crapping on me. The performance has really taken a bad turn with El Capitan, is it just me or is it a known issue?

El Capitan has only been an improvement for me.

A few bugs that I noticed with a clean install include the Date not immediately showing up in the menu bar after being enabled and restarted (System Preferences somehow got screwed up with Yosemite onward), and WiFi drop outs (Mail and iTunes would give me errors, otherwise, I had no idea it was occurring), which also went away with a restart.

Otherwise, it's been awesome. Way better performance, and a couple of cool new features. Either way though, it's never a bad idea to wait until at least the 10.11.2 or .3 release.

Here's a weird issue I hope gets resolved soon: it used to be that my Messages app on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac were all the same. All constantly updated and all matched each other. When I opened my Mac from sleep mode it would backfill in all the conversations I had from my iPhone and iPad during that time, which was mildly annoying but really useful because it made sure it was all the same. Now with 10.11 it's not. I turned back on text message forwarding since it got turned off which hopefully fixes it, but I don't think that would make a difference since all the messages that haven't been updating on my Mac were iMessage, not SMS

Ninja Dom

Here's a weird issue I hope gets resolved soon: it used to be that my Messages app on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac were all the same. All constantly updated and all matched each other. When I opened my Mac from sleep mode it would backfill in all the conversations I had from my iPhone and iPad during that time, which was mildly annoying but really useful because it made sure it was all the same. Now with 10.11 it's not. I turned back on text message forwarding since it got turned off which hopefully fixes it, but I don't think that would make a difference since all the messages that haven't been updating on my Mac were iMessage, not SMS

I had my iMac turned off for a couple of days while I was away, turned it back on and iMessage app on the Mac never refilled with the messages that were sent/received during the time the Mac was off either.

But it did end up refilling, maybe about 2 or 3 hours later and made sure everything was up to date. Try restarting the iMessage app on your Mac. Are new messages coming through to the Mac?

EmiPrime

Any advice on keeping my Bootcamp installation intact if I do that? Had a read online but it all seems a bit of a fuss.

No idea sorry. I assume you can erase your OS X partition without upsetting your Windows partition but it's been forever since I used Boot Camp.

I had my iMac turned off for a couple of days while I was away, turned it back on and iMessage app on the Mac never refilled with the messages that were sent/received during the time the Mac was off either.

But it did end up refilling, maybe about 2 or 3 hours later and made sure everything was up to date. Try restarting the iMessage app on your Mac. Are new messages coming through to the Mac?

It's been a couple days and a few restarts of the app (and my Mac), still no backfilling. If it starts working from this point on it'll be fine

upandaway

For better or worth I haven't noticed any difference at all since upgrading to El Capitan, except for Mission Control being smoother

I am having an issue with my Time machine drive. I am doing my backups on an external drive but after updating to El Capitan I can't eject the drive after backing up. It tells me that the drive is being used by one or more programs. Even after logging out of my user account and back in the problem persists.
I did some googling and it seems that Spotlight might be the culprit so I've told Spotlight to ignore my tm drive but that also didn't help.
The thought of having to shut down my mac every time I want to eject the drive is pretty annoying.

Edit: I checked the Console application and it turns out that the process mds_stores(180) (which is apparently used by Spotlight) is responsible.
Edit2: After a restart Spotlight seems to now successfully ignore my Time machine drive. Hope Apple fixes this soon...

Did you clone your old system over before installing 10.11 or was it a completely new install? I have seen symptoms like that from old kernel extensions kicking around, but I and another poster on GAF have also had it from a flakey HDD cable. Could also be the hard drive.

You can have the Console app open and see if the same messages show up everytime it happens.

I've been running it on an early 2009 MB Pro with an SSD for a week now. Cannot stress enough how the SSD is the best investment I've ever made. Everything is blazing fast, editing in FCPX is almost as good as a 2013-2014 iMac I've been using lately.

Only thing I've noticed after the update is that it seemed to have killed my SuperDrive for good. I had some issues before on Yosemite, but a few terminal commands/reboots would solve the problem.

The drive shows up in storage and system profiler, but won't accept any disc (blocked by some internal mechanism) and don't seem to make any noise. Resetting the SMC doesn't seem to do anything. Thinking of either replacing it or switching it to another SSD...

Troy

Banned
Another iteration of iTunes and it's still a giant turd of a program. It's been over five years now and they still haven't fixed the issue where if I log out and log back into iTunes it starts downloading every TV show or movie I ever bought despite automatic downloading being complete shut off in preferences. It's hilarious, because there's been a long thread about it at Apple's support site that's spanned many years. I have such little faith in Apple's software teams to do anything right.

chrislowe

Have they fixed whatever is causing audio plugin problems yet? I'm still on Mavericks.

Not only that, got a warning email from Native instruments that my Maschine wont work.

"Before upgrading to the latest version of Mac OS X – version 10.11 El Capitan, please consider these potentially serious issues concerning your KOMPLETE, TRAKTOR, and MASCHINE products. Two major issues have been identified:

1. NI plug-ins do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11 – Logic Pro affected
In Mac OS X 10.11, Native Instruments AUDIO UNITS plug-ins will not pass the AU validation and will therefore not be available in Logic Pro. The root cause of this issue has been identified and a solution is currently being developed in close contact with Apple.

2. Incompatibility with some older NI hardware
There are compatibility issues between some older NI devices and Apple’s upcoming operating system. This issue triggers a 'kernel panic' – this serious problem will crash the connected computer immediately, resulting in loss of any unsaved work, or serious disruption of a performance."

"it just works" - Apple :/

So, I was screwing around with Spotlight the other day (I was trying to downgrade it to the pre-Yosemite version), and ended up deleting it from my computer completely. As in, Spotlight.app and the associated background services are completely gone from my hard drive, and the icon doesn't show up in my menu bar, etc.

I have all the files backed up, of course, but the strange thing is I seem to be getting about an hour and a half of extra battery life. I can't decide if it's a placebo or not, but it certainly feels longer.

jstripes

Banned

A lot of these problems come down to developers putting things in places where it's been recommended they don't. Old habits die hard. Now with the System Integrity Protection those places are locked-down hard.

It's not isolated to Apple. A company I did consulting for had to completely disable security on Windows Vista and above because key software they were using stored configuration settings in Program Files.

Fuchsdh

Not only that, got a warning email from Native instruments that my Maschine wont work.

"Before upgrading to the latest version of Mac OS X – version 10.11 El Capitan, please consider these potentially serious issues concerning your KOMPLETE, TRAKTOR, and MASCHINE products. Two major issues have been identified:

1. NI plug-ins do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11 – Logic Pro affected
In Mac OS X 10.11, Native Instruments AUDIO UNITS plug-ins will not pass the AU validation and will therefore not be available in Logic Pro. The root cause of this issue has been identified and a solution is currently being developed in close contact with Apple.

2. Incompatibility with some older NI hardware
There are compatibility issues between some older NI devices and Apple’s upcoming operating system. This issue triggers a 'kernel panic' – this serious problem will crash the connected computer immediately, resulting in loss of any unsaved work, or serious disruption of a performance."

It's on developers to get their shit together. Audio devs are among the slowest to update. This isn't really news.

Ninja Dom

Is anybody's iTunes store fucked at the moment? The iOS App Store and iTunes Music store is just displaying all results on the left side. Music loads fine though.

Weevilone

I made a clone drive and installed the new OS on my Mac Pro. So far everything is running just fine, but it found 5 photo libraries when I launched the new app. Guess it's time to poke thru all of them and figure out why that happened.

Not an issue with the new OS for sure, but some previous fragments..

Anyone know if the new photo app is smart enough to eliminate duplicates in my various libraries?

Also, what's up with the cursor randomly getting huge? Need to Google that..

Ninja Dom

I still got Aperture & iPhoto from before Photos came along. I only use Photos now and all my pics & vids are in Photos, everything has migrated.

Is it safe to delete Aperture & iPhoto?

EDIT: Oh wait there, In Pictures folder I have my Aperture Library which is 73GB, last opened on 2 March 2015 (before Photos app came along). Is this also safe to delete? Also got my Photos Library which is 115GB

Majine

Banned
I still got Aperture & iPhoto from before Photos came along. I only use Photos now and all my pics & vids are in Photos, everything has migrated.

Is it safe to delete Aperture & iPhoto?

EDIT: Oh wait there, In Pictures album I have my Aperture Library which is 73GB, last opened on 2 March 2015 (before Photos app came along). Is this also safe to delete? Also got my Photos Library which is 115GB

I'd go through and compare them to see if something is missing.

So, I am trying to install this now and it says it can't because FileVault is still encrypting. I can't get it to stop, no matter what I do.

I followed a few guides I saw online, but still nothing. WTF is happening?

Sch1sm

I think I need to do a clean install of El Capitan again. Been a bit of a sluggish/laggy experience on my rMBP mid-'14. A restart usually fixes it, but it's possible I just have a lot of apps that aren't compatible enough.

My largest complaint to this day is still that I have to go cmd+option+1/2/3/4/ for my favourites in Safari to open instead of just cmd+#. Skype is still bugged, but at least I can log in with a Microsoft account without simply being redirected to normal account login. And OneNote isn't draining my battery like a motherfucker anymore, but something has definitely affected my battery life on El Capitan - not significantly, but a noticeable difference.

So, I am trying to install this now and it says it can't because FileVault is still encrypting. I can't get it to stop, no matter what I do.

I followed a few guides I saw online, but still nothing. WTF is happening?

What have you tried? Is the encryption paused, or is it still going? Deeeetails.

Top Bottom