• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Clearly supposed to be an Apple event this week. We had new Macs, new accessories, big iWork update. They've had an event this time of year for the past 3 years.
Likely they cancelled it and moved El Cap release up, moved iPads into the Sept event.
Yeah. Oh well. No big deal. We still get everything without showing it off. We already saw El Capitan at WWDC and the smaller 4K iMac is basically just the 5K iMac. Retina. We get it. No big deal.

All that's left though is the Mac mini. The last update was about this time last year. Then again, they are known to leave the mini alone for years sometimes. And I don't even care anymore since I'm an iMac guy now.

Fuchsdh

Yeah. Oh well. No big deal. We still get everything without showing it off. We already saw El Capitan at WWDC and the smaller 4K iMac is basically just the 5K iMac. Retina. We get it. No big deal.

All that's left though is the Mac mini. The last update was about this time last year. Then again, they are known to leave the mini alone for years sometimes. And I don't even care anymore since I'm an iMac guy now.

Probably don't consider it worth upgrading the Mac mini until Skylake and new I/O.

HUELEN10

I need a new Mac Mini, mine is the firs Unibody one....

20fucking10...

Hell, I got it like a few months after I was perma'd from GAF, THAT'S how old my desktop is.

; _ ;

It doesn't help that the Mid 2014 Minis are god damn garbage.

It would be nice if Skylake Mac Minis had a 6700HQ model. This 28W part of the 4578U is bullshit.

HUELEN10

It doesn't help that the Mid 2014 Minis are god damn garbage.

It would be nice if Skylake Mac Minis had a 6700HQ model. This 28W part of the 4578U is bullshit.
I just want a Mini with current processors, at least 8 GB of RAM, and plenty of ports for external expansion.

cchum

Man....El Capitan is impressive.

I was told at the Apple store to not put it on my 2011 air with 2 gb, but I'm a rebel. Guy didn't know what he was talking about, as this thing flies with it on there.

BTW that was my first mac experience, and I am now a convert. Bought a newer model air due to liking it more than windows. I was really tired of the slowdowns, drivers, etc that the platform offered.

I wish iCloud wasn't so terrible. I love the idea of having a native Mac app as well as a web app for word processing but it needs a cloud storage system that isn't a total disaster.

I highly recommend Fantastical 2.

Here's what I'm trying to do in Calendar in El Cap, and through Siri on the phone.

"Schedule Lunch with Richard from 11:30am to 1PM at The Curious Castle Restaurant"

Now, if I do that on the Mac, I get a calendar event that is

Title: Lunch with Richard at The Curious Castle Restaurant
Time: 11:30am-1pm

If I do that with Siri, I get
Title: Lunch with Richard
Time: 11:30am-1pm
Location: "The Curious Castle Restaurant" -just a text string, not the actual contact location from Address Book.

The method with Siri almost works, but the location is generic; it is just a text string that says "The Curious Castle Restaurant". What I want it to do, and what I expect it to do, is realize that in Contacts I have a business listed called "The Curious Castle Restaurant", and it should enter that location and address for the Calendar event, so that if I need driving directions or Travel Time, it is given automatically. Instead, I have to go edit the location, select the contact "The Curious Castle Restaurant" and then it adds the address properly from the contact.

I didn't see anything in there about referencing tools, which is a bummer. Literally the biggest reason I've stuck with Word is their built in referencing tools for writing essays and other documents which need referencing. It's so easy to maintain a reference list, change the referencing style (Chicago, APA, etc.). From what I can gather, I need to buy EndNote in order to get features like that in Pages.

bionic77

Ambitious

Rethinking iTunes, a project of some interface design students demonstrating what it might look like if iTunes were split up into several small, single-purpose apps.

Two examples I really like:

AppControl
1.png

Sync

Ambitious

Apparently, System Integrity Protection needs to be (temporarily) disabled even to simply change the icon of a system app. Come the fuck on.

Fuchsdh

Rethinking iTunes, a project of some interface design students demonstrating what it might look like if iTunes were split up into several small, single-purpose apps.

Two examples I really like:

AppControl

Sync

There's some interesting ideas, but taken as a whole I want to smack some of those students. Really? You were going to split up listening to songs and full albums into multiple applications? Get the fuck outta' here.

Honestly all I'd do is make the iTunes store and sync solution separate. The app needs a rewrite for speed but I don't think it makes much sense to split out all the different types of media into different playback options. Third-party OS X podcast clients don't really exist either so it doesn't behoove them to separate it either.

Ambitious

Something else I realized today: Open a folder in Finder in list view and set Arrange By to None. Now, there's a little arrow to the left of each folder in the list. You can use the right arrow key to unfold the folder and the left arrow key to collapse it again.

Now, set Arrange By to any other option, like Name, for instance. You can still unfold a folder with the right arrow key (even though there's no arrow), but there seems to be no way of collapsing it again. The left arrow key doesn't do anything. And the folder content isn't indented either, for some reason.

There's some interesting ideas, but taken as a whole I want to smack some of those students. Really? You were going to split up listening to songs and full albums into multiple applications? Get the fuck outta' here.

Honestly all I'd do is make the iTunes store and sync solution separate. The app needs a rewrite for speed but I don't think it makes much sense to split out all the different types of media into different playback options. Third-party OS X podcast clients don't really exist either so it doesn't behoove them to separate it either.

Well, I don't think this is meant to be a proposal to split up iTunes into sixteen mini-apps. Those sixteen mockups are independent of each other. Each one was done by a different student.

aember

Holy shit, this update on my MBP (Late 2013, 13 inch) has did some serious work on the battery life.

Well either that or some serious flash updates, because last time I used OSX on this (about half a year ago before bootcamping to Win 8) roughly 30 minutes of 1080p youtube would drain about 30%, now - 5% at most.

Mirrors my thoughts for the most part when I saw this a few days ago especially the separating of individual songs and albums.

With that stated a few friends of mine are currently working a music player that looks a lot like the proposed MusicPlayer. I'm biased but I think my friends' design is better overall.

SURGEdude

I think a split makes sense but only into 2 or 3 apps. Music/Audio (keep iTunes name), Sync, and AppStore (maybe combined with Sync). Bringing iTunes back to it's music only roots would do a wonder for it's current Frankenstein's monster design where shit keeps getting bolted on and shoehorned into an increasingly cluttered interface. Would also be a chance to redo the shitty slow and dated codebase which has never played well with Windows.

Edit: Missed this post. Spot on.

Fuchsdh

I think a split makes sense but only into 2 or 3 apps. Music/Audio (keep iTunes name), Sync, and AppStore (maybe combined with Sync). Bringing iTunes back to it's music only roots would do a wonder for it's current Frankenstein's monster design where shit keeps getting bolted on and shoehorned into an increasingly cluttered interface. Would also be a chance to redo the shitty slow and dated codebase which has never played well with Windows.

Edit: Missed this post. Spot on.

It's been proposed by numerous Apple pundits (Marco Arment springs to mind) that part of the reason iTunes sucks so much and is so bloated is that Apple doesn't want to deal with the headaches associated with breaking up the Windows application into multiple bits, and the time and cost commitment. Which I get, but I don't think ultimately they're concerned about spiting the Windows users to make the Mac look better, not least because iTunes as a backup and sync solution is more and more irrelevant to iPhone and iPad users.

EmiPrime

It's been proposed by numerous Apple pundits (Marco Arment springs to mind) that part of the reason iTunes sucks so much and is so bloated is that Apple doesn't want to deal with the headaches associated with breaking up the Windows application into multiple bits, and the time and cost commitment. Which I get, but I don't think ultimately they're concerned about spiting the Windows users to make the Mac look better, not least because iTunes as a backup and sync solution is more and more irrelevant to iPhone and iPad users.

Yeah I don't buy it either. The iOS stuff doesn't need to be there. I've been using Android for the last two years and I've never felt that Google needed an iTunes equivalent for Android on the desktop; you can buy and push apps to your devices through Google's Play Store using your web browser and Android File Transfer.app is a simple little app that just gives you access to the file system. iTunes was necessary for iPods as they had no internet connection but now it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist as now loads of people own iOS devices who don't own a computer and the old requirement to have iTunes for device activation is long gone.

iTunes like the Mac App Store (no trials, no upgrade pricing, enforced sandbox etc.) and iCloud are victims of ideology within Apple. Higher ups who think they know best or that things are "good enough".

moving

Neo Member
Did you clone your old system over before installing 10.11 or was it a completely new install? I have seen symptoms like that from old kernel extensions kicking around, but I and another poster on GAF have also had it from a flakey HDD cable. Could also be the hard drive.

You can have the Console app open and see if the same messages show up everytime it happens.

Late, late reply, oops! It was a completely new install. Even before installing any of my apps it ran badly. Boot up also takes an eternity. :/

Salmonax

Thank the dear lord for this update. Office crashing constantly was absolutely horrendous from a work standpoint. This is such a relief.

Shun

Has El Capitan been updated to minimal/bug free yet?

I've been delaying my El Capitan update so far, but I want to have peace of mind knowing that my stuff will be fine.

Shun

No issues here.

Well upgrading now. 20 minutes until download done then gonna install.

Hoping my copies of Office 11, Lightroom 3, CS6, Final Cut/Logic, MplayerX, Rosetta Stone 3, and Parallels all work fine with no issues.

Shun

Update to El Capitan, nothing is broken!

It looks a bit cleaner too.

I also love the updated Japanese support, it makes writing documents and navigating much more streamlined.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I will never understand how Photoshop CS3 is still working for me. I've had it for 10 years and it's survived that long through countless updates and upgrades.

I will never understand how Photoshop CS3 is still working for me. I've had it for 10 years and it's survived that long through countless updates and upgrades.

Wow, that's pretty great! I really hope CS6 lasts that long, given that everything newer than that is subscription only. :/

Has El Capitan been updated to minimal/bug free yet?

I've been delaying my El Capitan update so far, but I want to have peace of mind knowing that my stuff will be fine.
If you're on Yosemite, it's a no-brainer IMO. Everything is faster and smoother.

I did have problems with a couple apps at first, but they fixed themselves when I turned off System Integrity Protection (Apple's brand new security setting)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow, that's pretty great! I really hope CS6 lasts that long, given that everything newer than that is subscription only. :/
it's so surprising that it still works fine that I don't even think about it not working when I update. One day maybe it'll die and I'll switch to Pixelmator, but PM it still not there yet so I much prefer to use the ugly-ass non-Retina slow as molasses Java powered CS3 until then.

Funny though it's actually gotten slower to start up since I first got a SSD in my 2010 machine. I'm on a SSD like 5-10x faster and it takes longer to load. I blame Java. Though it's still faster than when it was on a HDD.

Top Bottom