• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Putosaure

I will wait the feedback about battery life before eventually upgrading from Mavericks.

But there is still a part of me that tells me that if I'm happy with Maverick performance I should'nt bother upgrading in case it gets worse.

So it looks like Photos on El Capitan does a better job of explaining potential image count discrepancies than Yosemite.

Since I'm fully iCloud for photo storage I've been wondering why the photos/videos counts between my Macbook and iPhone don't match up. But now, on Photos on my Macbook at the bottom it says 11,436 photos......... 5,0006 items on This Mac Only. With some photos from years ago appearing only on Photos on my Macbook and not my iPhone at all. I think these images may have come from an iPhoto library and never been sucked into iCloud.

If I go to Albums -> All Photos -> then do a 'Select All' and choose File -> Consolidate, would that be the best way to sync all images in Photos into iCloud, and then onto the rest of my iOS Photos devices?

Shun

Fuck Parallels 10 is bugged on El Capitan, but more like Parallels team being scum and making us upgrade to Parallels 11 instead...

They could easily patch it as nothing else I own broke, but nope making me update to Parallels 11...

Fuchsdh

Fuck Parallels 10 is bugged on El Capitan, but more like Parallels team being scum and making us upgrade to Parallels 11 instead...

They could easily patch it as nothing else I own broke, but nope making me update to Parallels 11...

Yeah I've given up on Parallels. The benefits of running XP and 7 for some Halo: Custom Edition and some other old games isn't worth $80 every other year.

EmiPrime

Yeah I hate that VMware (and Parallels from the sound of things) arbitrarily limit each version to just one OS X version. It's scummy.

I'm all for developers having a consistent source of income but don't tap me up every year.

Shun

Yeah I've given up on Parallels. The benefits of running XP and 7 for some Halo: Custom Edition and some other old games isn't worth $80 every other year.

It's not for games but for Solidworks and some JP stuff that doesn't have an OSX equivalent. I would use AutoCAD but I have no access to it at the moment.

I guess VMWare isn't any much better...

I would use VirtualBox but I wasn't able to get it to run with the drivers, probably because it isn't as user friendly and easy to set up as Parallels.

Chozolore

I had Mail chew through 12GB of ram Today, not sure if it was update related but I had to delete a few files to fix it.

One hell of a memory leak!

hirokazu

Anyone getting a bug where Mail checks for new messages and decides every message in every Gmail account is new? And then it proceeds to download all of them.

I've had this happen on every computer I've upgraded to El Capitan and it's caused me to exceed my monthly Internet quota because it's going and downloading about 6GB of messages it already has on every computer. Still happening on 10.11.1.

I've searched and found nothing on the Internet about it for some reason. I would've thought it would be common since the occurence rate for me is 100% and there should be plenty of people out there using Mail with Gmail.

Ninja Dom

Anyone getting a bug where Mail checks for new messages and decides every message in every Gmail account is new? And then it proceeds to download all of them.

I've had this happen on every computer I've upgraded to El Capitan and it's caused me to exceed my monthly Internet quota because it's going and downloading about 6GB of messages it already has on every computer. Still happening on 10.11.1.

I've searched and found nothing on the Internet about it for some reason. I would've thought it would be common since the occurence rate for me is 100% and there should be plenty of people out there using Mail with Gmail.

Gmail email account here. And I use the stock Mail app. I haven't yet upgraded to 10.11.1 but when I upgraded to 10.11 I had no problems. Everything carried on working fine just like it did on Yosemite.

Ninja Dom

Can someone tell me what is the best way to delete an app or game in El Capitan?

Depends on where you downloaded the app or game from.

If you downloaded it from the Mac App Store then go to Launchpad, long click on the app and then press 'X' to delete. Much like deleting an app on iOS.

hirokazu

Gmail email account here. And I use the stock Mail app. I haven't yet upgraded to 10.11.1 but when I upgraded to 10.11 I had no problems. Everything carried on working fine just like it did on Yosemite.

I'm gonna change mail clients.

Mail had some many little problems in Yosemite. In El Capitan it's mostly smooth except for this and some other weird bugs. But when I start playing around with accounts, rebuilding mailbox, etc it just likes to crash everywhere.

Now I need recommendations...

EmiPrime

I'm gonna change mail clients.

Mail had some many little problems in Yosemite. In El Capitan it's mostly smooth except for this and some other weird bugs. But when I start playing around with accounts, rebuilding mailbox, etc it just likes to crash everywhere.

Now I need recommendations...

Airmail 2.

I use 2 Gmail accounts and it handles both well.

I've been having iCloud problems since 10.11.1 installed. Was fine on the beta, but installed the proper release from the App Store and since then I've not been able to sign into iCloud in either System Preferences of Messages. Just comes up with a message saying 'there was a problem signing into your iCloud account'.

Can sign in fine on my iOS devices, so I'm puzzled.
Gonna do a fresh install in a few weeks once semester is over and I can afford to clean shit out, I have a feeling that things leftover from the beta El Cap install could be causing problems, but I guess we will see.

Shun

Wow so it's not El Capitan that's making Parallels total shit, it's the Parallels team not giving a shit to debug and optimise their virtual machine.

11 had a couple updates now already and it's still slower than what I had with 10 and Yosemite.

El Capitan is great but fuck Parallels.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Parallels likes to use OS updates as an excuse to get people to upgrade because they release a new version each year for $50 to upgrade. They really want people to just switch to their yearly subscription instead where you get the latest update anyway. Although that costs a hell of a lot more to do.

I really want to just get a gaming PC for my Windows gaming and I'll probably never use Parallels again. But I don't know if I'll give it one more upgrade before I do. Really all I used it for was Spelunky back in the day and a few other random Windows only games. I rarely launch it anymore.

What kinds of bugs are people getting? Parallels 10 seems to be fine for me right now. Seems to be.

Wow so it's not El Capitan that's making Parallels total shit, it's the Parallels team not giving a shit to debug and optimise their virtual machine.

11 had a couple updates now already and it's still slower than what I had with 10 and Yosemite.

El Capitan is great but fuck Parallels.

Yeah, last time Parallels broke on n OS X update for me, I just went VirtualBox for good. For my PC gaming, I just bootcamp it.

Sch1sm

I think I've been experiencing some minor battery drain/wake lock issues on El Capitan. The difference in battery life from Yosemite to this is a bit ridiculous, but I can't tell if it's just unoptimized 3rd party apps, or a genuine screw up on Apple's part.

Anyone else been going through this? i.e. I lost 20% last night while it was sleeping. Never used to do that.

Vashetti

Banned
I think I've been experiencing some minor battery drain/wake lock issues on El Capitan. The difference in battery life from Yosemite to this is a bit ridiculous, but I can't tell if it's just unoptimized 3rd party apps, or a genuine screw up on Apple's part.

Anyone else been going through this? i.e. I lost 20% last night while it was sleeping. Never used to do that.

El Capitan initially turns Bluetooth on by default, have you checked that?

ryan299

Just updated to this and now my ntfs external seagate won't work. Never had problems on yosemite. Any fixes?

Nvm I got it to work.

Konka

Banned
You can resize you windows however you want without snap. I don't even use full screen. Why is it that helpful?

I find full screen useful when you only have a 13 " screen. I've got a 2010 MBP. I have safari full screen, itunes full screen, etc...and just three finder swipe between spaces.

It's really annoying when Messages doesn't backfill from stuff you did on your phone/tablet, is there any way to force it? Messages on OSX seems way more fickle about that stuff than any of my iOS devices

hirokazu

One of my conversations in Messages doesn't have the text field at the bottom so I can't reply to it on my Mac. Only that one. I have no idea why.

Ninja Dom

One of my conversations in Messages doesn't have the text field at the bottom so I can't reply to it on my Mac. Only that one. I have no idea why.

Delete the conversation and then start a new message to that person. The old conversation will come back with the new message. I just tried it.

Sch1sm

El Capitan initially turns Bluetooth on by default, have you checked that?

Ages later, hadn't noticed this. But yeah. I have checked. if only because I have the icon in my menu bar - it's pretty much always off unless I've got a DualShock controller set up to it. I tried a factory reset and it seemed to do the trick, though, so maybe I just needed a clean start.

Ambitious

bildschirmfoto2015-10u4ji0.png

Twitch fullscreen using Safari + HTML5. Does this happen for anyone else? In order to get an actual fullscreen video, I have to open the video in a new window using the context menu.

kuppy

So since I updated to El Capitan I can't really browse the web for too long before my MacBook freezes up.
It basically freezes for a dozen of seconds before going into a really low frame rate mode.

Safari seems to be triggering it, or at least that is the program I'm actively doing something (different) in as it breaks. CPU and RAM usage are in the 20s or so, not sure what causes it. Seems to happen when I have fullscreen videos in the background while having a couple of other tabs load. But that's my setup most of the time, so could also have nothing to do with that.

Quitting or force quitting Safari doesn't solve it, have to reboot.

bildschirmfoto2015-10u4ji0.png

Twitch fullscreen using Safari + HTML5. Does this happen for anyone else? In order to get an actual fullscreen video, I have to open the video in a new window using the context menu.

Yes. You are in the twitch html5 preview (it happens after visiting for a while in flashless safari, before its just the native html5 widget)

Fullscreen is buggy like that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So since I updated to El Capitan I can't really browse the web for too long before my MacBook freezes up.
It basically freezes for a dozen of seconds before going into a really low frame rate mode.

Safari seems to be triggering it, or at least that is the program I'm actively doing something (different) in as it breaks. CPU and RAM usage are in the 20s or so, not sure what causes it. Seems to happen when I have fullscreen videos in the background while having a couple of other tabs load. But that's my setup most of the time, so could also have nothing to do with that.

Quitting or force quitting Safari doesn't solve it, have to reboot.
Strange. I don't have freezing with Safari. Firefox freezes terribly but then again Firefox is shit on OS X. But not Safari. I do get Safari tabs becoming shitty and frozen or locked up or otherwise causing problems, but it never locks up the machine for me and CPU doesn't do anything.

Also no lock ups in El Capitan proper either. As I said only Firefox ever really causes me problems. Thankfully it's just my rarely launched pr0n/video downloading browser. And it only seems to do that when downloading a bunch of things at once. (Man Firefox really needs that redesign badly.)

Do you have more info? I also watch a lot of videos and do other things.

kuppy

Do you have more info? I also watch a lot of videos and do other things.
Let's see. It's mostly a Giant Bomb video, so it's their player I have running. Could also be YouTube related as I pause to watch a trailer on there or so.

What is really weird actually is that I can still move the mouse cursor, fluently even. Everything else - like going to the dock, closing a tab, closing a window, launching an app, switching desktops, showing notification center - will take a while to display. The last two times my cursor also got really big for a couple of seconds, that might have been me trying to fix it though.

I remember it once happening while doing an imdb search, another time while online shopping.

Next time I'll write down what apps I had open and what exactly I was doing when it crashed.

When it stays like this and happens on a semi-regular basis I guess I'll have to go with a fresh install on a future weekend.

Ambitious

What's a goddamn MissingNo doing on my desktop?

mgnuips3.png

It disappeared when I made that screenshot. I assume the screenshot triggered a repaint of that area.

kuppy

Okay, it just happened again.
I had a Giant Bomb video in full screen paused in the background and was looking at that Mario Kart in UE4 thread. As I closed that tab it froze. Those were actually all the tabs I had open.

Again, oddly enough I can move the mouse just as usual, inputs don't get processed however.

After maybe thirty seconds it seemed to have fixed itself. But then another shorter hiccup as I loaded a new page. Then again as I scrolled down a page. And again and again, becoming unusable, requiring the reboot.

It’s only within Safari though, making me wonder what causes it and also why it wouldn’t be fixed when quitting the application.
Disabling NinjaKit and therefore YTMA for now.

Ambitious

Not related to El Capitan at all, but I consider this an OS X Community Thread anyway, and I can't think of a better thread to post it.
Base is a SQLite database editor. From the last update:

baseooziq.png

Funny.
For anyone not familiar with SQL databases: Dropping (deleting) a table is irreversible.

I am trying to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp but when partitioning Bootcamp doesn't allow me to go lower than 32GB for the Windows partition. The last time I used Bootcamp (for Windows 7 around 2 years ago) I remember I was able to go as low as 16GB.
I don't want to give Windows more than 22GB, anything I can do?

hirokazu

I am trying to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp but when partitioning Bootcamp doesn't allow me to go lower than 32GB for the Windows partition. The last time I used Bootcamp (for Windows 7 around 2 years ago) I remember I was able to go as low as 16GB.
I don't want to give Windows more than 22GB, anything I can do?
Get Boot Camp to create the partition, then resize it with Disk Utility before continuing?

Not related to El Capitan at all, but I consider this an OS X Community Thread anyway, and I can't think of a better thread to post it.
Base is a SQLite database editor. From the last update:

baseooziq.png

Funny.
For anyone not familiar with SQL databases: Dropping (deleting) a table is irreversible.

Holy shit.

Get Boot Camp to create the partition, then resize it with Disk Utility before continuing?

I've tried your suggestion, but disk utility only allowed me to make the Bootcamp partition even larger.
In the end I just created a FAT partition in disk utility of my desired size and manually booted the with the boot stick that Bootcamp created. Worked without issues.
Too bad that Apples touchpad drivers are ass...

Mortemis

Banned
So just a few minutes ago, my 2014 mbp just completely froze on me for the third time ever, with all three being with el capitan. I've also noticed random times where mission control would go really slow or just not work. Never had any problems like this with yosemite, but it doesn't happen all that often to say el cap sucks. I guess it's just much more noticeable and annoying since it never happened before.

So has Safari always had the ability to search streaming sites or was that recently updated to match the Apple TV? I just noticed it tonight

VtpiN84.png

Hey guys, should I do the free upgrade to the latest OS?

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory...NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB Graphics.

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

My MAC/Google Chrome stalls when opening new tabs or scrolling through some websites like Facebook. Not sure what else I can do to make it faster.

I dont think the latest OS is El Capitan, but it's whatever is before that. It's free, I'd like to upgrade, but I'm worried about issues, particularly about that Wifi problem Ive been reading about (which supposedly is fixed?)

Thanks

Top Bottom