• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Fuchsdh

Hey guys, should I do the free upgrade to the latest OS?

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory...NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB Graphics.

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

My MAC/Google Chrome stalls when opening new tabs or scrolling through some websites like Facebook. Not sure what else I can do to make it faster.

I dont think the latest OS is El Capitan, but it's whatever is before that. It's free, I'd like to upgrade, but I'm worried about issues, particularly about that Wifi problem Ive been reading about (which supposedly is fixed?)

Thanks

Sounds like for most people upgrading from Yosemite to El Cap boosts performance, so I'd say you're not risking much upgrading.

EmiPrime

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory...NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB Graphics.

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

My MAC/Google Chrome stalls when opening new tabs or scrolling through some websites like Facebook. Not sure what else I can do to make it faster.

I dont think the latest OS is El Capitan, but it's whatever is before that. It's free, I'd like to upgrade, but I'm worried about issues, particularly about that Wifi problem Ive been reading about (which supposedly is fixed?)

Thanks

Yes you should.

If you can afford to, buying an SSD and upgrading to 8GB of RAM will make your machine feel brand new. It's an easy upgrade.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/4305

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+RAM+Replacement/4319

Oh wait. Im seeing El Capitan IS the free upgrade... so I should do it?

It wont be a problem that I have mid 2010 macbook pro with those specs?

^ Thanks for letting me know about the RAM upgrade. Seems better than buying a new Macbook, especially since mine is going strong after 5 yrs (build quality was well worth the $$)

Yeah I hate that VMware (and Parallels from the sound of things) arbitrarily limit each version to just one OS X version. It's scummy.

I'm all for developers having a consistent source of income but don't tap me up every year.

For whatever it is worth, old versions of VMware generally work fine with the latest iterations of OS X. The big issue is that they more or less stop giving maintenance updates when they release a new version. Sometimes this isn't such a big problem like with that one minor update that had hardware accelerated graphics frequently locking up rMBPs, took some time to get another minor patch out to fix that.

I've skipped major versions of VMware between OS upgrade and generally been okay for it, as I'm not aggressive with major Windows updates and mostly use it to run old decrepit things like x86 NeXTstep, Windows XP and maybe a Ubuntu build sometimes. But I wouldn't be surprised if VMware/EMC/Dell tightens the reins on that someday.

Vashetti

Banned

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

Thanks

Do you have an SSD in your MBP?

An SSD and clean install of El Capitan will have you breezing. Also stop using Chrome and use Safari.

Do you have an SSD in your MBP?

An SSD and clean install of El Capitan will have you breezing. Also stop using Chrome and use Safari.

I dont have an SSD. Not sure I intend to do a clean install as I need to get an external HDD to move everything... though then again, it's just a bunch of files, most of which are useless to me now anyway.

Is it a bad idea to just upgrade from the App Store right now? Will I suffer greatly due to my specs?

I am worried how much El Capitan requires of my Macbook Pro

EmiPrime

For whatever it is worth, old versions of VMware generally work fine with the latest iterations of OS X. The big issue is that they more or less stop giving maintenance updates when they release a new version. Sometimes this isn't such a big problem like with that one minor update that had hardware accelerated graphics frequently locking up rMBPs, took some time to get another minor patch out to fix that.

I've skipped major versions of VMware between OS upgrade and generally been okay for it, as I'm not aggressive with major Windows updates and mostly use it to run old decrepit things like x86 NeXTstep, Windows XP and maybe a Ubuntu build sometimes. But I wouldn't be surprised if VMware/EMC/Dell tightens the reins on that someday.

Maybe it was a public beta thing but the Yosemite version of VMware Fusion (ver. 7?) didn't work on El Capitan.

Also stop using Chrome and use Safari.

Why?

EmiPrime

I dont have an SSD. Not sure I intend to do a clean install as I need to get an external HDD to move everything... though then again, it's just a bunch of files, most of which are useless to me now anyway.

Is it a bad idea to just upgrade from the App Store right now? Will I suffer greatly due to my specs?

I am worried how much El Capitan requires of my Macbook Pro

You can buy an external USB enclosure for 2.5" drives for like $10. Just crack open your MBP, take out the HDD and put it into the enclosure and the new SSD into your machine and either copy across the files you want or clone it onto the SSD using SuperDuper.

OK, sorry to spam:

I am on Mavericks (10.9.5)

Seeing as El Capitan seems to have some bad reviews... Can I just upgrade to Yosemite first?

Sadly, it seems Apple removed Yosemite.

Where can I get Yosemite?

You can buy an external USB enclosure for 2.5" drives for like $10. Just crack open your MBP, take out the HDD and put it into the enclosure and the new SSD into your machine and either copy across the files you want or clone it onto the SSD using SuperDuper.

thanks. Im also thinking I can move a mass majority of my files to iCloud and Google Drive.

EmiPrime

OK, sorry to spam:

I am on Mavericks (10.9.5)

Seeing as El Capitan seems to have some bad reviews... Can I just upgrade to Yosemite first?

Sadly, it seems Apple removed Yosemite.

Where can I get Yosemite?

Just upgrade to El Capitan, it's shaping up to be the next Snow Leopard in terms of quality.

Yosemite was never any good, you don't want it.

Just upgrade to El Capitan, it's shaping up to be the next Snow Leopard in terms of quality.

Yosemite was never any good, you don't want it.

OK. Just nervous seeing reviews on App Store that say they see more spinning wheels and unstable apps like email

But here I go!

Vashetti

Banned

Because Apple have the benefit of coding their OS and software specifically for their hardware.

Safari is lightweight and fast, and designed specifically for OS X and iOS, coded 'to the metal' for maximum performance and efficiency.

Chrome is made for multiple platforms with no guarantee of the hardware specs. On OS X, it's a major battery hog and drives my MBP's temperatures 10 degrees higher than Safari, which then makes the fans audibly spin.

Chrome's a little better with their recent version 46 update, but Safari will always be the way to go on OS X. It's not like Internet Explorer and Windows where the default is garbage, Safari is the best OS X browser.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just like the poster above said. Once Apple dropped Windows support for Safari it got loads better. It's the best browser on OS X now. Sadly we can't have this same benefit with iTunes and it sucks. Because iTunes would be so much better off if they were able to free it from Windows. Unfortunately that won't happen. So iTunes will forever suck. Most likely.

EmiPrime

Because Apple have the benefit of coding their OS and software specifically for their hardware.

Safari is lightweight and fast, and designed specifically for OS X and iOS, coded 'to the metal' for maximum performance and efficiency.

Chrome is made for multiple platforms with no guarantee of the hardware specs. On OS X, it's a major battery hog and drives my MBP's temperatures 10 degrees higher than Safari, which then makes the fans audibly spin.

Chrome's a little better with their recent version 46 update, but Safari will always be the way to go on OS X. It's not like Internet Explorer and Windows where the default is garbage, Safari is the best OS X browser.

I disagree, I get the same battery life on my MBA with Chrome as I do with Safari now (ver. 47) and it has no effect on my laptop's temperature (the fans don't turn on). The performance argument is an old one that doesn't apply anymore, or at least not to Mac laptops made in the last couple of years (I can't speak for older Macs). On desktop Macs that argument is irrelevant.

Both Safari and Chrome have their place on the platform and telling people to avoid Chrome or proclaiming Safari as the hands down best browser aren't accurate nor helpful. I need to use Chrome because it's cross-platform, has better extension support, has Chromecast support and because I need favicons as a visual guide. It's also better at keeping record of closed tabs. It's not a slam dunk for Safari.

Yay I upgraded! Seems pretty nice.

Now how much will it cost to upgrade my RAM?

Also, I still cant view Youtube vids at 60 FPS/720p and I feel like I should

I turned off hardware acceleration on Chrome, but it doesnt help. What else can I do?

EmiPrime

Yay I upgraded! Seems pretty nice.

Now how much will it cost to upgrade my RAM?

Also, I still cant view Youtube vids at 60 FPS/720p and I feel like I should

I turned off hardware acceleration on Chrome, but it doesnt help. What else can I do?

I can't imagine it would cost much more than £100 (or $100) to get 8GB of RAM and a 240GB SSD. Look on Crucial's website.

It wouldn't hurt to install Malwarebytes and give your system a scan just to rule out malware as a possible reason: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

I really think though that the most likely cause is that your HDD is on the way out and OS X chugs anyway on a HDD while it sings on a SSD. Get those two upgrades like I said and you'll be happy as a clam.

I can't imagine it would cost much more than £100 (or $100) to get 8GB of RAM and a 240GB SSD. Look on Crucial's website.

It wouldn't hurt to install Malwarebytes and give your system a scan just to rule out malware as a possible reason: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

I really think though that the most likely cause is that your HDD is on the way out and OS X chugs anyway on a HDD while it sings on a SSD. Get those two upgrades like I said and you'll be happy as a clam.

Thanks man. What if I replace my HDD...with my PS3's 250 GB HDD? Is it the same?

Also, I love the new OS! Love swiping between windows, and the full screen, and it definitely feels faster, or at least not as laggy

Vashetti

Banned
I disagree, I get the same battery life on my MBA with Chrome as I do with Safari now (ver. 47) and it has no effect on my laptop's temperature (the fans don't turn on). The performance argument is an old one that doesn't apply anymore, or at least not to Mac laptops made in the last couple of years (I can't speak for older Macs). On desktop Macs that argument is irrelevant.

Both Safari and Chrome have their place on the platform and telling people to avoid Chrome or proclaiming Safari as the hands down best browser aren't accurate nor helpful. I need to use Chrome because it's cross-platform, has better extension support, has Chromecast support and because I need favicons as a visual guide. It's also better at keeping record of closed tabs. It's not a slam dunk for Safari.

You make some good points, I know Chrome is a lot better for extension support.

My points are more directed toward people who use Chrome on OS X as a more casual user, who has the 'Windows - Internet Explorer' mindset and thinks Safari is a poor browser because it's default software.

If you're an average browser user who just needs say, uBlock, and a few other things, then I'd definitely use Safari over Chrome on OS X.

Ambitious

Reddit: Tim Cook calls to ask you to give him a performance review. What do you tell him? What grade would you give Apple under his leadership?

Top comment:
Using a throwaway because I'm probably gonna get butchered for this. But whatever, how many fucks can one man spare. How many fucks can one man give before he has had enough.

Tim Cook is one greedy mofo. On a scale of an A through F, I'd give you a solid C-. And that's being really generous (unlike you, you son of a bitch).

Let's not even talk about how the polish of OS X and iOS has gone down over time. Let's not even talk about the bugs in every release, how every update leads people in with the constant hope of "this is the one, this the one which will make your device run like new". Oh man, let's fucking update. Oh wait, this shit isn't what they promised. Nah, let's not talk about any of that. Because that's not gonna change, is it? Planned obsolescence is the name of the game. Fuck your old customers without any lube, that's how we roll, am I right?

Instead, let's talk your constant unwillingness to give a single fuck about your customers and your willingness to always give a fuck when your stinginess comes into play. You deny staingate on the MacBook Pro line up until the very end when you feel your pockets are threatened by a consumer lawsuit. Hell even Steve held a fucking press conference for antenna-gate while you highfived Jony on sales while iPhone 6's were being bent, many with no fault of the consumer. 16 GB of storage on a flagship phone which is supposed to last into 2016. And that sneaky little fuck Phil Schiller just jumps over it with the words "great customer experience" and "5GB iButt Storage" - Phil, I'd bet you any amount of money that you've personally never used the 16 GB device a single day of your life, and neither has anyone in your upper management, otherwise, you'd fucking know how much of a pain in the ass it is to work with the actual 12GB of storage so many of your customers put up with. One might think Jony would put some sense into Cook, but he's kinda busy working in the iPhone Thinness Lab, making the next iPhone thinner - that's all Jony is good for now (let's put the lack of even the simplest of design insights like a dark mode aside from the bright empty mess that was and is iOS7+, as well as the atrocious "all day hurr durr" battery life you promote - or maybe even the half assed implementation of third party keyboards or your rigid adherence to UI that you won't let people customize). You refused to add 2 GB of RAM until you absolutely had to, which deeply hurt the consumer experience on Safari and most other iOS apps. Your iPad "Pro", expected to compete with the Surface, comes with a base of 32GB of storage and with half of the functionality, and the "Apple Pencil" sticks out like a sore thumb when you want to charge it - let's not even talk about the ridiculous pricing on the keyboard. Spread out those apps guys, we're going full iOS productivity levels here - large empty spaces, 4x5 app grid on a 13 inch display, you know the drill.

We're not even close to done. It's 20-fucking-16 soon, and apparently, you can justify selling a 4k iMac machine with a 5400rpm HDD which would have probably been considered outdated even a decade ago - this is supposed to last people more than a year? A PROSUMER DESKTOP - is that what you call this? You can justify decreasing the base SSD storage for the fusion drives for no good reason (except money, of course). You make your iMacs thinner for no reason (a desktop machine that's not supposed to be portable) while taking away features that people actually need. You have no logical sense about customers who might need dedicated GPUs, or customers who might want to upgrade their RAM - nah, let's seal everything as tightly as our asses and ears, am I right? A 480p webcam on your latest MacBook so you can call the next one an upgrade. You can justify releasing the crap that was the "iPad 3" and updating it months later when you realized that your customers would call you out when your processor couldn't even support the Retina display you put in. Pages is a mess. Numbers is a mess. Both of those lack the basic functionality even Microsoft Office gives. The Mac App Store is a desolate, barren mess. iTunes - bloated garbage. Beyond all those things, Apple Music is a total incoherent clusterfuck - you decided to play the catch up game, and you couldn't even come close to the smoothness, UI/UX considerations, music discovery, and curation of Spotify. How many years did you have to think this over? To make it perfect? Did you even use this shit yourself? Or were you too busy buying Beats and releasing new colors for their headphones to match your thin iPhones? Because this shit isn't made for humans. Not to mention the countless people experiencing problems playing music offline, streaming music, finding music, or other shit. And not only did you half ass Apple Music, hell, you even managed to half ass Apple TV - no Siri search at release? No categories in the app store? 200mb app size limit? And calling it a revolution when 70-80% of the functionality is matched by a fucking HDMI stick? This is a 4th generation product. How about fucking Siri? It's been 4-5 years since you bought the company that made it, but yet Siri can't do shit on the iPhone - I would rather talk to a fucking rock, and Cortana and Google are miles and miles ahead. And what in the actual fucking world happened to Apple Maps. A company known for perfection brought to its knees (along with its customers) and fucked by one of the poorest implementations of a service one could ever imagine.

And even the smaller things, nah we're not done yet, even the smallest things. Your product naming fucking sucks - iPad (ok, that's the first one), iPad 2 (nice, that's the second one), "the new iPad" - wtf? iPad Air, oh that seems like the logical next step. iPhone 6S Plus - how the fuck do you expect people to say that smoothly? What happened to iPhone 5C line? By the way, Jony, how the actual fuck did you approve this case. (Oh, and the only difference between the iPad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 3 was TouchID, which you charged another $100 for.) Your ads absolutely fucking suck - at least Jobs had the taste to show his products in a beautiful way. What the fuck is this. What the fuck is this. What the actual fuck is this. The best you can do is "This is the iPhone. blahblahblahblahblah"? Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake voiceovers? Oh go fuck yourself, man - and don't blame it on the ad agencies, because you approve every single frame of this bullshit before it goes on air. What happened to this. Where is the character. Where is the emotion. Where is the passion dammit. Time for a controversial opinion (haha, like what I've said so far isn't enough to be crucified a few times): Your Apple Watch fucking sucks. It's not a reincarnation of the iPod like everyone says - no, we're not gonna all regret our words a few years later. It doesn't do anything useful, it's slow as shit, and it's a product category you stepped into for no good reason. Here you are partnering with Hermès on making some ultra-affordable /s Apple Watch bands while your customers get fucked by all of the issues mentioned above. Spreading yourself thin is something you're great at - don't take that as a compliment.

You said in your quarterly call that you "don't care about the bloody ROI" - I think you misspoke man. All you fucking care about is the bloody ROI, you heartless sneaky little shit.

And even with all of this. All of this fucking garbage, you still manage to convince people to defend your decisions (until you make the changes, which are then defended by the same people again). The greatest thing your company ever managed to do which perhaps no other company has managed to do on this scale, is have your marketing done by people. Let people do your work. Let them defend your mistakes. Let them cover your ass. Let them post on /r/apple with "Hey guys, I realized how Apple TV is a true revolution, hurr durr Siri", "Hey guys, I realized how Apple Watch is a true revolution, hurr durr personal". Let them argue for you. Let them answer for you. Let them get fucked in the ass for you.

Maybe this people advertising was more justifiable when your products actually worked smoothly, before you took over. Now, it's a huge fucking circlejerk in which every single voice of dissent is drowned out before it has a chance to speak, to say what it wants to say.

Man, I've been using Apple products since 1996. In almost 20 years, I have never seen such a series of bad decisions being made by what was once a great company. A company which once had a passion for technology, not a business for technology. Taste. Refinement. Perfection. Making you feel like you got your money's worth. Somewhere in the core of Apple, I'm sure there are talented people who still believe in the vision Steve started with. But Cook, Cue, and co. are gonna fuck Apple over to hell.

Fuchsdh

It's like they fit all of MacRumors into a single post.

I agree with some of the stuff. Just not to the raving level that this person is at.

I was waiting for the "...and Tim Cook tortured, killed, cooked and ate my dog" at the end to justify that vitriol.

If you feel that way, why the hell are you using Apple products?

In general I've just been depressed by the Reddit communities I've seen—almost all of them seem to bizarrely complain about "fanboyism" or "down voting brigades", but the actual tenor of posting there is incessantly negative or apocalyptic.

EmiPrime

You make some good points, I know Chrome is a lot better for extension support.

My points are more directed toward people who use Chrome on OS X as a more casual user, who has the 'Windows - Internet Explorer' mindset and thinks Safari is a poor browser because it's default software.

If you're an average browser user who just needs say, uBlock, and a few other things, then I'd definitely use Safari over Chrome on OS X.

You mention uBlock, that's another example of Safari being behind Chrome on extensions. uBlock is a stolen project, uBlock Origin is by the original developer and is a lot better but sadly has no Safari support.

I agree Safari is more than adequate, I just object to people being mislead regarding Chrome. Both are good options.

Reddit: Tim Cook calls to ask you to give him a performance review. What do you tell him? What grade would you give Apple under his leadership?

Top comment:

While I agree with a lot of that, I don't agree with the delivery, although even reasoned criticism falls on deaf ears at Apple.

For example justified criticism of the Mac App Store that Apple have done nothing to address.

Ambitious

safaric6apn.png
google70u8z.png

safari2x1kk5.png
google2ykkx6.png

safari3xlk58.png
google3wpjy6.png

This happens all the time, and it's pissing me off. Google, Chrome and Chrome for iOS all show me the correct search suggestions, and they display them immediately. Bloody Safari can't seem to catch up with my typing speed, though, and doesn't consider the full text, only the first few letters or so. That is, if it displays any suggestions at all. See the third Safari screenshot. Sometimes, there are no suggestions. And sometimes, they appear after a delay of several seconds.

The same thing happens on iOS. Again, not every single time I use the search, but very, very frequently.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you feel that way, why the hell are you using Apple products?
Because it's still better than the alternatives for most people.

The part I agree with the most is the first part about OS releases constantly being buggier and buggier. They do. It never used to be this bad. Now it's terrible. I find bugs that are different on different devices that shouldn't be. I still have things that work on one of my Macs but not my other with no explanation. I still can't get text message forwarding to work on both my iMac and iPad because it refuses to show the code on either machine. I'm lucky that it works on my MacBook. And it's been this way for quite a few OS releases now.

Fuchsdh

Because it's still better than the alternatives for most people.

The part I agree with the most is the first part about OS releases constantly being buggier and buggier. They do. It never used to be this bad. Now it's terrible. I find bugs that are different on different devices that shouldn't be. I still have things that work on one of my Macs but not my other with no explanation. I still can't get text message forwarding to work on both my iMac and iPad because it refuses to show the code on either machine. I'm lucky that it works on my MacBook. And it's been this way for quite a few OS releases now.

I really haven't had any iCloud-related woes on my four machines/iOS devices at all, so I guess I'm among the lucky.

How'd you get perma-juniored?

Deku Tree

Top comment:

Eh... Apple is not perfect, there are several valid points hidden in all that vitriol, but the thing is that Apple has never been perfect... you can make an argument that they are better now than they were under Steve's rule... That's why I hate these "Steve never would have allowed this" holier than thou rants.

iOS 9.2 beta 2 brings AT&T Wi-Fi calling to the Mac and other devices
http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/03/ios-9-2-beta-2-wifi-calling-mac/

With iOS 9.2 + ATT, you can configure wifi calling on your Mac so you can make calls over wifi even if your phone isn't available. Doesn't say what OS X version it needs, prolly 10.11.2.

Has AT&T enabled WiFi calling yet? I tried to get it to work the other day and my iPhone told me to call AT&T. EDIT: nvm got it to work just now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really haven't had any iCloud-related woes on my four machines/iOS devices at all, so I guess I'm among the lucky.

How'd you get perma-juniored?
Because Bish loves me. ❤️

Also because I backseat moderated when a troll came into an Apple thread. Wouldn't have been a problem if I wasn't saying the troll was going to be perm-juniored for it.

Irminsul

Is OS X really unable to daisy chain two external monitors via Displayport or do you just need newer Macbooks for that? I tried today with a relatively new MBA, and the only thing I achieved was mirroring.

I'm obviously not talking about Macbooks with two Thunderbolt outputs because you don't need daisy chaining here. And before anyone asks, I know that the monitors are able to do what I want because it works with my Surface Pro 3. Really weird that the MBA can't do that.

EDIT: After searching around a bit, it seems the Macbook may be able to do it. If I'm booting Windows on it. What the fuck, Apple.

The Lucky Moose

Neo Member
Since I have updated to El Capitan, my iTunes has become extremely slow. Anytime I click on anything (a song in a playlist, or simply the pause button) it takes a few seconds of watching the rainbow wheel before it happens. Any suggestions?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Something pretty cool with Pinned Tabs in Safari. If you have a tab pinned, say NeoGAF, and click a link that opens a new tab to a new URL, say a link in a post, it opens a new tab, but still lets you use the back button/gesture to close the tab and return to the pinned tab. That's really nice. Unfortunately this same feature does not work with a non-pinned tab. (No back button in the new tab) So it seems pinned tabs will lock themselves to the domain they start in. So that's good.

Maybe I should use pinned tabs more.

Only thing is unlike Firefox, pinned tabs don't seem to load their content on startup. So if you go into Tab Overview the unvisited pinned tabs appear as blank white pages until you click them to open them.

Edit: Some more observations. The back button disables itself if you switch to another tab like the "Back to app" feature in iOS. Which makes sense from a UI standpoint. Still it's nice to have it at all. And if a pinned tab is playing audio, you don't get the benefit of a speaker icon to signify it which can be annoying if you have a lot of pinned tabs.

Ambitious

Why is there no search field in the Top Sites/Favorites view to filter them?

Why do the header labels of said views have different transparencies?

bildschirmfoto2015-11urs1s.png
bildschirmfoto2015-111wjmd.png

Is Spotlight not searching Photos for anyone else?

I've been playing around with the 'natural speech' searches, and it's not producing results for anything from Photos. Everything looks like in System Preferences for Spotlight, so I'm not sure what it could be.

kuppy

So I got through a couple of days without a freeze. But now it happened again as I closed a YouTube tab, other tabs had nothing loading in the background or so. Think It's got to be YouTube related then. Maybe a Flash thing, although I have the player set to HTML. Since I don't like flash to begin with I just uninstalled it.

Let's see about that.
Or, well, maybe Safari is just kind of bad at closing tabs sometimes.

Okay, so my brand new MBP was great for a week. Then I made the mistake of running migration assistant from my old Macbook (late 2007 black book, running Lion).

Holy shit. It ruined everything. The battery life is non existent and it runs out while asleep, it's always warm, it can't remember a wi-fi signal, and more.

What's the easiest way to totally wipe and start fresh? The machine came with Mavericks, but I upgraded to El Cap day one. Do I need to build a recovery partition or some shit? Or is there an easier way?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there an app out there that can go through my Photos Library and compare the photos it actually has in the database to the files in my Masters sub folder so I can delete the 250MB of leftover images that iPhoto never deleted back in the day and are now still around in my library bundle?

Alternatively, what's the safest way to delete my Photos from my MacBook and have Photos launch and recreate it as if it's new and download everything fresh from the iCloud?

I guess I can turn Photos off in the iCloud preference pane, delete anything having to do with Photos, then turn it back on and launch the app. Maybe then it would act like its a new machine?

I just don't want it accidentally deleting my library from iCloud.

What if instead I just clone the Photos Library bundle from my iMac to my MacBook?

Is there an app out there that can go through my Photos Library and compare the photos it actually has in the database to the files in my Masters sub folder so I can delete the 250MB of leftover images that iPhoto never deleted back in the day and are now still around in my library bundle?

Does Photos have a way of finding duplicates? I've not used it. If so, some Terminal magic can extract the 250MB of photos; then import them into Photos and find the dupes.

hirokazu

That's gonna be tough to do, but a possible solution is to create a new temporary Photos Library and import everything from the Masters folder. Then use something like PowerPhotos to search for duplicates and delete them from the temporary library and you're left with just the orphaned photos. You'd then have to manually search for these photos in your Masters folder though. It won't be fun.

Alternatively, what's the safest way to delete my Photos from my MacBook and have Photos launch and recreate it as if it's new and download everything fresh from the iCloud?

I guess I can turn Photos off in the iCloud preference pane, delete anything having to do with Photos, then turn it back on and launch the app. Maybe then it would act like its a new machine?

I just don't want it accidentally deleting my library from iCloud.

What if instead I just clone the Photos Library bundle from my iMac to my MacBook?

I'd guess the easiest way to start from scratch is the delete your Photos Library bundle from ~/Photos. Cloning it from your iMac will work too if it doesn't have the same problem.

Reboot and hold cmd-R.

Use Disk Utility to erase the system volume (not the whole disk, which the recovery partition won't let you do), then install the OS. Done.

The recovery partition should be 10.11, it's upgraded as part of the OS install.

what is the point of making a bootable drive if there is a recovery partition with the OS on it?

i just reformatted with a bootable drive plugged in and followed the steps you mentioned but now i'm not sure if the install ran off the usb bootable drive or from the recovery partition.

Here's an interesting thing: Messages on OSX will have my apostrophes and quotation marks start out straight (like normal) and then slant them after a second. Italics is not turned on. It's not a huge issue, but it looks... Weird

Top apostrophe was sent from iOS, bottom one sent from OSX

hirokazu

what is the point of making a bootable drive if there is a recovery partition with the OS on it?

i just reformatted with a bootable drive plugged in and followed the steps you mentioned but now i'm not sure if the install ran off the usb bootable drive or from the recovery partition.

There is no installer on the recovery partition. It downloads it from Apple's servers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does Photos have a way of finding duplicates? I've not used it. If so, some Terminal magic can extract the 250MB of photos; then import them into Photos and find the dupes.
Thing is the photos themselves are just there in the folder. Photos doesn't know they exist. As if I deleted them from within iPhoto long ago (And they're really old too. Many screenshots and stuff I never keep.) but the actual file deletion never took place.

And they're not duplicates. They're unique photos and screenshots I got rid of before iCloud was even a thing. Basically like if you deleted a bunch of songs in iTunes and told it to keep the original file. It would just be "there" in the Music Library folder taking space but not visible to iTunes at all.

That's gonna be tough to do, but a possible solution is to create a new temporary Photos Library and import everything from the Masters folder. Then use something like PowerPhotos to search for duplicates and delete them from the temporary library and you're left with just the orphaned photos. You'd then have to manually search for these photos in your Masters folder though. It won't be fun.
See I can open the Masters folder on one machine and on the other and search for all images in them on both machines. The iMac, which is not my main machine, shows the proper photo count of 1,882 photos. While the MacBook would show like 2,000+. Browsing through them I see a bunch of images that should not exist anymore. But it's so many I can't just delete them all easily. I'd have to manually comb through both image by image. Sad thing is I can't go by the image filename because on the MacBook, which is where I always import them from, some are in named folders from when they were imported, while all the ones on the iMac are in numbered folders by year, month and day since they were all downloaded from iCloud properly. It's just the MacBook Library that's messed up because of years of iPhoto updates.

I'd guess the easiest way to start from scratch is the delete your Photos Library bundle from ~/Photos. Cloning it from your iMac will work too if it doesn't have the same problem.
This is probably what I'll end up doing. Deleting it all, cloning the library from my iMac and hoping it works. Though I'd probably have a better chance deleting everything having to do with Photos including the library and all settings and launching it virgin and hope that it attaches to my iCloud and downloads them all again. Like I did when I got Photos on my iMac. Obviously I need to make sure I disable iCloud Photos on my MacBook too so I can reenable it after everything is deleted.

I'll probably try the clone thing first and cross my fingers that nothing fucks up. The worst that can happen is I have to rebuild everything from scratch and import all the photos again and hope that they get sorted by date properly. (I don't know if Photos will use the EXIF data for the date or put it under the date it was imported.)

I just need to make sure it actually does have every single image on my iMac in their original size and not just smaller shrunken optimized versions. (Yes, the option to download all photos is enabled. You never know though.)

All this just to free up a few hundred megabytes. lol

kess

I was surprised to see that Permissions Repair is no longer an option in Disk Utility. Occasionally I seem to be getting a few unmovable, unmodifiable, and non-deletable files that don't show up in the normal Finder structure because they have "unknown permissions."

Otherwise El Capitan seems to be pretty stable.

Top Bottom