• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Fuchsdh

what is the point of making a bootable drive if there is a recovery partition with the OS on it?

i just reformatted with a bootable drive plugged in and followed the steps you mentioned but now i'm not sure if the install ran off the usb bootable drive or from the recovery partition.

Having everything on a stick means faster reinstalls, reinstalls offline, and also makes installing the OS on multiple machines faster.

Also, better to have a copy of the OS locally so in case Apple removes it from the App Store you can still downgrade.

Ambitious

I experienced a few weird graphical glitches today. In Eclipse, several icons were displayed in a corrupted way. The icons in the context menu actually looked different each time I opened the menu. It was just graphical noise with similar colors as the original icons.

Assuming it was just some kind of Java issue, I dismissed it, but shortly after, the navigation bar in the finder went completely transparent. The background just disappeared, so I could basically see my desktop through a hole in the Finder window, even though it was blurred in a strange way. However, for some reason it looks just fine in the screenshots I made.

Also, the title bar of a Finder window was using two gradients. The left ~60% of the window was one kind of grey gradient, and the rest of the bar used different tones of grey.

Maybe it was a public beta thing but the Yosemite version of VMware Fusion (ver. 7?) didn't work on El Capitan.

I just tried this, my apologies for the delay. VMware Fusion 6.0.6 still works great on El Capitan 10.11.1, tried Windows 7 and it works fine. So does XP.

I'm a little reluctant to upgrade VMware unless I need to. From the sounds of things, it's probably best that I don't.

Ambitious

Open two or more PDFs at once in Preview.app. If the sidebar is enabled and set to display thumbnails, you should see one item for each opened file. Set the scroll/pagination setting to Continuous Scroll. Now scroll down a bit. The page number in the title bar (Page X of Y) will get updated, as it should. Now click on one of the other opened files in the sidebar. Scroll down again. The page number is now stuck at 1.

And this is now happening all the time, even without having to close a file first:

Oh cool, that one annoying scrolling-related UI bug of the sidebar in Preview.app hasn't been fixed either. I mean of course it hasn't.

If you have many PDFs open in the same window and close one of them from the sidebar, the scrollbar on the right side will suddenly enlarge to the full height of the sidebar. Then, as soon as you start to scroll in any direction, the sidebar will instantly jump down to the very bottom.

preview20os6x.gif

At some point, it just happens, without any obvious reason. Then I'm stuck at the bottom of the view and I just can't scroll up anymore. I can't fucking scroll up. It keeps jumping down. So I can either use the arrow keys to go up or close the files and open them again.

I can't get work done with this piece of shit app.

EmiPrime

I just tried this, my apologies for the delay. VMware Fusion 6.0.6 still works great on El Capitan 10.11.1, tried Windows 7 and it works fine. So does XP.

I'm a little reluctant to upgrade VMware unless I need to. From the sounds of things, it's probably best that I don't.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Just a shame it doesn't seem to work with major OS X PB releases.

Open two or more PDFs at once in Preview.app. If the sidebar is enabled and set to display thumbnails, you should see one item for each opened file. Set the scroll/pagination setting to Continuous Scroll. Now scroll down a bit. The page number in the title bar (Page X of Y) will get updated, as it should. Now click on one of the other opened files in the sidebar. Scroll down again. The page number is now stuck at 1.

And this is now happening all the time, even without having to close a file first:

At some point, it just happens, without any obvious reason. Then I'm stuck at the bottom of the view and I just can't scroll up anymore. I can't fucking scroll up. It keeps jumping down. So I can either use the arrow keys to go up or close the files and open them again.

I can't get work done with this piece of shit app.

I stopped using Preview.app when it wrecked a PDF I was annotating. I'm having much better luck with PDF Expert which is in closed beta right now. I'll be buying a copy whenever it goes on sale.

https://readdle.com/pdfexpert_mac

Fuchsdh

Doesn't anyone have any general experience updating the 2011 iMacs to El Capitan? I'm wondering if it's worth updating something machines at work.

I've got three 2011 Macs in my family I handle that I haven't upgraded yet, haha. Mostly I'm afraid that the visual refresh (they're running 10.6–10.9) will freak them out the most. I'll probably update my wife's whenever I can get the terabyte of crap off it.

Ambitious

mas9us0p.png

"Pages version 5.6.1 is available! You have version 5.6.1, want to update?" Good old MAS. (The update is not installed.)

Thanks, that's encouraging. Just a shame it doesn't seem to work with major OS X PB releases.

I stopped using Preview.app when it wrecked a PDF I was annotating. I'm having much better luck with PDF Expert which is in closed beta right now. I'll be buying a copy whenever it goes on sale.

Nice. I remember using the iOS version for a while, many years ago. It was fine. Speaking of which, I just noticed it's free for a limited time (usually $9.99), so go grab it.

Ambitious

Yeah, so buggy. I miss the old software update that always worked correctly.

Yeah. I assume you've seen my post where I reported a bunch of MAS issues and compared it to the old updater? Might have been in the Yosemite thread.

Anyway, I updated again. As usual, nothing happened when I clicked the Update button. So I restarted the MAS, and the progress bar showed up. When the update finished, I checked Pages' version, which was still 5.6. I restarted the MAS once again, and for some reason the update appeared yet another time, but this time it didn't require me to click the button. It was already updating (or rather still updating?), and the progress bar was at ~80%. When it finished again, Pages was finally updated.

Ambitious

It's out now. It's got a two pages view with continuous scrolling, a view style which Apple removed from Preview.app for whatever idiotic reason. Cool. But when you scroll while in that mode, it doesn't actually scroll the content; it only updates the page number in the bottom right corner. When you stop scrolling, it jumps to that page. Useless.

Scrolling performance is shit, so I assume they're using Apple's PDF engine.

Awesome, that was easy! Thanks!

No problem!

i just reformatted with a bootable drive plugged in and followed the steps you mentioned but now i'm not sure if the install ran off the usb bootable drive or from the recovery partition.

If you held cmd-r then you used the recovery partition or, in its absence, internet recovery, which downloads the recovery partition from Apple's servers— it's slow, but works in a pinch if you've just replaced a dead drive.

If you held option then you could've picked your USB installer or the recovery partition.

The USB installer, is, as others said, faster (if you already have one made— it's not faster if you don't). It also lets you do things like roll your own Fusion Drive if you have multiple disks.

EmiPrime

It's out now. It's got a two pages view with continuous scrolling, a view style which Apple removed from Preview.app for whatever idiotic reason. Cool. But when you scroll while in that mode, it doesn't actually scroll the content; it only updates the page number in the bottom right corner. When you stop scrolling, it jumps to that page. Useless.

Scrolling performance is shit, so I assume they're using Apple's PDF engine.

Odd, it scrolls the content for me in 2 page mode. Don't know what else to say!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The problem with a USB installer is that updates come way too fast to keep up. I don't want to go back to the days of installing from my DVD and having to immediately download a half dozen updates to get everything up. I gave up trying to deal with them. I'll just take the Internet route.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So what's everyone's opinion on pinned tabs? Or rather how they work in Safari vs. how they work in Firefox? Do you prefer Safari's method of making pinned tabs global to the browser so they show up in all windows? Or Firefox's method of making them centralized to their current window?

I only have three pinned tabs. All social media. Twitter, FaceBook and Tumblr. I just wish I could set it to always revert to the top level domain (Or rather whatever the URL was when you pinned it) when the browser is closed or the tab is "closed". (In that you Command+W to close the tab but the tab stays there, it just quits the process) Right now it remembers what page you were on. And that'd be fine, but I like how if you try to open a website from Bookmarks that matches a URL in one of your pinned tabs (Say www.twitter.com) it'll just switch to the pinned (Twitter) tab. I like that. But if I happen to be on a "dirty" version of that URL (Say with FaceBook where it adds some dirty extra characters to the URL so if you bookmarked www.facebook.com and your pinned tab is currently www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr whatever the fuck that means.) it'll think it's a new page and open a new page instead.

I do like how it locks the tab to not be closed and just dumps the content and process from memory and switches to the first normal tab when you close it. I like that. If only it had the other features I talked about (Reversion to original URL on close, etc..) I'd use more of them. Like one locked to NeoGAF subscriptions. Also, if only more sites would implement the new favicon required for them. (Even NeoGAF doesn't have one. But it does have a Mobile icon which Safari uses for the Favorites NTP view.) I'd rather it use the normal favicon when one is not available, but then it'd ruin Apple's aesthetic for pinned tabs which is to have a recognizable single color icon for each site. Still, I want the option. And favicons in all tabs gosh darnit!

So what's everyone's opinion on pinned tabs? Or rather how they work in Safari vs. how they work in Firefox? Do you prefer Safari's method of making pinned tabs global to the browser so they show up in all windows? Or Firefox's method of making them centralized to their current window?

I only have three pinned tabs. All social media. Twitter, FaceBook and Tumblr. I just wish I could set it to always revert to the top level domain (Or rather whatever the URL was when you pinned it) when the browser is closed or the tab is "closed". (In that you Command+W to close the tab but the tab stays there, it just quits the process) Right now it remembers what page you were on. And that'd be fine, but I like how if you try to open a website from Bookmarks that matches a URL in one of your pinned tabs (Say www.twitter.com) it'll just switch to the pinned (Twitter) tab. I like that. But if I happen to be on a "dirty" version of that URL (Say with FaceBook where it adds some dirty extra characters to the URL so if you bookmarked www.facebook.com and your pinned tab is currently www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr whatever the fuck that means.) it'll think it's a new page and open a new page instead.

I do like how it locks the tab to not be closed and just dumps the content and process from memory and switches to the first normal tab when you close it. I like that. If only it had the other features I talked about (Reversion to original URL on close, etc..) I'd use more of them. Like one locked to NeoGAF subscriptions. Also, if only more sites would implement the new favicon required for them. (Even NeoGAF doesn't have one. But it does have a Mobile icon which Safari uses for the Favorites NTP view.) I'd rather it use the normal favicon when one is not available, but then it'd ruin Apple's aesthetic for pinned tabs which is to have a recognizable single color icon for each site. Still, I want the option. And favicons in all tabs gosh darnit!

Cannot agree more on the favicon. Some sites have slowly started to implement them, but from what I understand you really have to develop an icon specifically to Safari, and I wouldn't imagine that Safari on a Mac has a big enough chunk of overall web users to bother, for most sites.

I like how the pinned tabs work though. I only have one, my Inbox, but it's nice to always have it on hand. It's slightly annoying that it doesn't remain up to date until I open the tab, but I imagine that's a power saving measure. Why bother refreshing a page's contents if you're not actively looking at it.

Ever since I've switched (just recently), I've noticed that I sometimes get a big mouse cursor while using Firefox. It'll just appear for a second, then revert.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's as high as it goes now.

It can't be changed.

On light mode, there is a shadow line of the same opacity under the menubar that matches the outline around windows.

In dark mode, this shadow does not exist and therefore just appears as empty space.

So it could technically be considered an "oversight". My tip is to use light mode if you don't like it. But that is as high as the window will go no matter what. Pretty sure it's the same minimum Y value for previous versions. You just couldn't tell because the menubar was always white and had a solid shadow line there.

Ambitious

Discrete I think.

Here's the scrolling with the trackpad including some fast flicks:

UqGpfH6.gif

I'll delete this gif tomorrow so this thread doesn't get bogged down.

Well, in that case, I have no clue what the hell's going on. I'm just gonna add another item to my extensive list of shit that pisses me off about my Mac.

kuppy

This is stupid.
Went through the trouble of doing a clean install and am still having the Safari-freezes-everything-when-closing-a-YouTube-tab problem. This sucks.

This is stupid.
Went through the trouble of doing a clean install and am still having the Safari-freezes-everything-when-closing-a-YouTube-tab problem. This sucks.

... are you using Flash or HTML5?

Does it happen in Chrome or Firefox?

i.e. is the problem YouTube, Flash, Quicktime, Safari, your OS, your hardware, etc?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do you think this looks alright?
Are you asking because it looks wrong or because it looks right? I only notice that it's got contrast and reduced transparency turned on which, in relation to what we were discussing with the other poster, makes the window look like it's reaching the top instead of leaving a gap now. It's still the same minimum Y position as not having contrast turned on. I do wish I could fine tune which parts get contrast. And I really hope 10.12 and iOS 10 both have a real dark mode that encompasses the whole OS. (Changing all the white backgrounds to black and black text to white should be super easy to do without causing any real problems. Just make it an opt-in and recompile option for devs.)

Messed up as in something out of the norm, or messed up in the number of menu bar utilities?
You can never have too many menu bar utilities. I have iStats in mine (Instead of the Monity you have in your sidebar.) and I think they look nice personally. I customized my colors and everything to not look terrible. I like it. I only see the menu bar when I'm on the desktop anyway so who cares? (I have toyed around with hiding both the menubar and Dock as well as the disk icons on the desktop to make it completely empty but I always end up coming back.)
Battery only shows time and percent when either discharging or charging. When it's 100% it shows up as just a vertical thin battery. I wish iStats Menus could replicate some other features so I could drop a few more menu items. The CPU/GPU menu could have functionality to switch GPU choice and I could remove gfxCardStatus. And the Network menu could let me choose which WiFi network to use so I could drop the WiFi menu. Also, I'm probably dropping CrashPlan when my current plan runs out so that'll be more free space. (It's also the only app I still have that isn't Retina and feels like it's left in the dark ages. For all the rebranding they did on their site, they really know how to let their most important frontend UI stagnate. Not to mention it still uses Java. But in their defense it's now embedded Java I believe. Still...)

kuppy

... are you using Flash or HTML5?

Does it happen in Chrome or Firefox?

i.e. is the problem YouTube, Flash, Quicktime, Safari, your OS, your hardware, etc?
HTML5. But also had Flash before.
Haven't tried other browsers, I would like to stay with Safari. I also don't know exactly what is causing it, only that it is always happening right as I close a tab with a YouTube video. It's not consistent though, only happening sometimes.
No idea whether that's YouTube's or Safari's fault or whatever.

It is happening on a clean install of El Capitan, so if it would be OS related that would happen to way more people. I have a 2013 MacBook Air with 1,3 GHz i5 and 8 GB RAM.

Edit: Also as I mentioned in earlier posts, the whole OS freezes. The mouse cursor still works, nothing else however. It takes a minute or two to recover then it seems to work again, until you do anything in Safari, resulting another freeze or low rate like behavior. Quitting or force quitting and relaunching Safari changes nothing, only a reboot helps.

On a different note, why is Spotlight Search not pulling the definitions from the preferred or even the only one selected dictionary?
And Login Items have never completely worked for me, although I tell it to launch certain apps hidden it does the opposite and vise versa.

HUELEN10

CH4y50n.png

So here is my Menubar and its utilities. As Abed mentioned, I am more of an NC Widget gal myself when it comes to information like stats and music, but I think the menubar is great for secondary and tertiary functions such as disk management and extended other services.

Here are my current utilities, from left to right.

1. OneDrive for Onedrive syncing

2. Monotony to get NC banners for RSS feeds for sites that don't use OS X's Push Notifications service

3. 1Password so I don't go insane

4. Plex to keep my Apple TV happy

5. BetterTouchTool to force click MY way

6. Semulov to quickly eject non-permanent disks.

The rest are just stock utilities. I plan to re-install DisplayResX when it gets updated and fixed, but other than that I think I am set. Any other lightweight menubar utilities that should be always-on that would be useful? I own Duet, but i don't have it launch with the system because I only rarely need it.

I promise this is the last time I'll ask, but since some time has passed.

Does Microsoft Office 2011 work well on El Capitan? At first I heard it was busted, but figured since time passed we might all have a general consensus.

Top Bottom