• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

hirokazu

Ok I recently used "PowerPhotos" (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/) "duplicate" function to transfer my Photos library so that I could move it from a case sensitive drive to a case insensitive drive.

It looks like the "Masters" folder inside the package content of my Photos library has the same number of items and is the same size... does that tell me that everything transferred correctly?

(I have a 100gb Photos library.)

Any way to be really sure that I transferred all my photos over correctly? Thanks again!
I'd assume it's occur ect if the photo count in the Photos app matches. No way to verify so many photos, I don't think, but you'd just have to assume it's OK.

toohectic

Is it possible to have OS X photos sync photos from two separate iPhones? My friend has an iPhone with his own AppleID, and his wife has her own iPhone with her own AppleID... Can they sync photos to a single account on an El Capitan MBP? Photos on the MBP are currently sync'd to his AppleID from his iPhone. Her phone is now full, so she wishes to dump the photos to the MBP. I assume we can accomplish this by plugging her iPhone directly into the MBP, but they were hoping to do it automatically via iCloud. Is there a Family iCloud type function to accomplish this? Or do they just need to create her own login/user on the MBP (not preferred). Any help is appreciated.

Deku Tree

Is it possible to have OS X photos sync photos from two separate iPhones? My friend has an iPhone with his own AppleID, and his wife has her own iPhone with her own AppleID... Can they sync photos to a single account on an El Capitan MBP? Photos on the MBP are currently sync'd to his AppleID from his iPhone. Her phone is now full, so she wishes to dump the photos to the MBP. I assume we can accomplish this by plugging her iPhone directly into the MBP, but they were hoping to do it automatically via iCloud. Is there a Family iCloud type function to accomplish this? Or do they just need to create her own login/user on the MBP (not preferred). Any help is appreciated.

My wife an I use the same Apple ID and photo stream sync's our photos to both phones and to Photos on my rMPB etc.

If you have two separate Apple ID's then you can only sync photo's manually by plugging the phone with the different ID into the computer when you want.

It's one of my biggest complaints about Photostream. But my wife and I are close enough that we enjoy sharing an Apple ID.

That's all you can do with Apple's free stuff. I don't know what is allowed if you pay for Apple's iCloud Photo Library syncing.

You could also look at Google Photo's syncing but again the issue needing to have a common account is also going to come up I think.

toohectic

My wife an I use the same Apple ID and photo stream sync's our photos to both phones and to Photos on my rMPB etc.

If you have two separate Apple ID's then you can only sync photo's manually by plugging the phone with the different ID into the computer when you want.

It's one of my biggest complaints about Photostream. But my wife and I are close enough that we enjoy sharing an Apple ID.

That's all you can do with Apple's free stuff. I don't know what is allowed if you pay for Apple's iCloud Photo Library syncing.

You could also look at Google Photo's syncing but again the issue needing to have a common account is also going to come up I think.

Yeah, not as easy as I had hoped. We ended up creating a second photos library (hold option when opening photos) and just importing her photos directly into that new library over USB. We couldn't import them into his library because iCloud would immediately try to sync those new photos to all of his devices which they didn't want. They really just wanted to archive all of her photos and the second library serves well for that. But they still make it a pain because there is no "delete photos from phone after import" option if you have iCloud photos sync enabled on the phone. You have to manually select and delete each moment on the phone itself. She still wants iCloud photo syncing on so that her current photos are available on her iPad. Also, When using multiple libraries, I wish it was a little easier to identify which photos library you browsing. It always opens to the last library used, so you can easily mix them up if you aren't paying attention. I wish it displayed the current library name in the top bar or something.

Deku Tree

Yeah, not as easy as I had hoped. We ended up creating a second photos library (hold option when opening photos) and just importing her photos directly into that new library over USB. We couldn't import them into his library because iCloud would immediately try to sync those new photos to all of his devices which they didn't want. They really just wanted to archive all of her photos and the second library serves well for that. But they still make it a pain because there is no "delete photos from phone after import" option if you have iCloud photos sync enabled on the phone. You have to manually select and delete each moment on the phone itself. She still wants iCloud photo syncing on so that her current photos are available on her iPad. Also, When using multiple libraries, I wish it was a little easier to identify which photos library you browsing. It always opens to the last library used, so you can easily mix them up if you aren't paying attention. I wish it displayed the current library name in the top bar or something.

If that is all you want to do, then I believe that "Image Capture.app" in your applications folder can also copy all of the photos and videos off of a USB connected iPhone into a folder of your choosing and then delete the photos off of your iPhone... at least I think I have seen that option in the past...

... then you wouldn't have to worry about switching iPhoto libraries, and all your photos would be in one folder instead of an iPhoto database.

toohectic

If that is all you want to do, then I believe that "Image Capture.app" in your applications folder can also copy all of the photos and videos off of a USB connected iPhone into a folder of your choosing and then delete the photos off of your iPhone... at least I think I have seen that option in the past...

... then you wouldn't have to worry about switching iPhoto libraries, and all your photos would be in one folder instead of an iPhoto database.

I thought about using the image capture app, but using a standard photos library allows them to easily browse the old photos with a familiar program compared to a plain folder with images in them. Also, I tried to use the image capture app to delete photos from the phone after I imported them, but the same restriction due to iCloud still applies. You can easily offload the photos to a folder, but the delete after import option is not available if you have iCloud Photo Library on (just like the standard photos app restriction.)

Ambitious

I'm starting to get a bit tired of Wunderlist. The UI is just bad. At least it's not an embedded web view anymore, but it's not much more. And it's become really stale, too, The last major update was in July 2014.
Guess I'll look for alternatives soon if I find some time. It's been a while; maybe some great new ToDo apps have been released in the meantime.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So my cousin just got a 2010 MacBook. The white one. I told him he will need to upgrade the RAM to 8GB if he plans to use the thing for long. Also he is telling me he has to buy Snow Leopard before he can update to El Capitan, is that true ?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So my cousin just got a 2010 MacBook. The white one. I told him he will need to upgrade the RAM to 8GB if he plans to use the thing for long. Also he is telling me he has to buy Snow Leopard before he can update to El Capitan, is that true ?
Well you can't get the App Store without Snow Leopard. Maybe if he takes it to an Apple Store and asks really nicely.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If it has an App Store, it should take El Capitan. If it does not, then the original owner never updated. (Remember, OS X used to cost money back then. Maybe they knew they were replacing it and didn't bother. Or just didn't care.)

mrkgoo

If it has an App Store, it should take El Capitan. If it does not, then the original owner never updated. (Remember, OS X used to cost money back then. Maybe they knew they were replacing it and didn't bother. Or just didn't care.)

Once an OS is released all new computers will come with it, unless it was already in the channel. Any new release macs most definitely will launch with new OS. So if snow leopard came out in 2009, the 2010 model will come with snow leopard.

Ambitious

And yet another big name leaves the MAS: Sketch.

There are a number of reasons for Sketch leaving the Mac App Store—many of which in isolation wouldn’t cause us huge concern. However as with all gripes, when compounded they make it hard to justify staying: App Review continues to take at least a week, there are technical limitations imposed by the Mac App Store guidelines (sandboxing and so on) that limit some of the features we want to bring to Sketch, and upgrade pricing remains unavailable.

If you have bought it from the MAS, they offer you a standard license for free.

Ambitious

browsercykxm.png

This is the simplest browser for your computer.
Do you like speed?
Download now.

Please evaluate, other applications from us.

EmiPrime

I can see upgrade pricing coming at some point, free trials a slight possibility, but no way they're going to relax app store delays and sandboxing.

What makes you think that? Developers have been complaining about all these things since the MAS came out.

Ambitious

I'm starting to get a bit tired of Wunderlist. The UI is just bad. At least it's not an embedded web view anymore, but it's not much more. And it's become really stale, too, The last major update was in July 2014.
Guess I'll look for alternatives soon if I find some time. It's been a while; maybe some great new ToDo apps have been released in the meantime.

2Do looks pretty nice, doesn't it? That's also the one Federico Viticci uses.

It's pricey, though. $8 for the iOS app, $25 for the Mac app. And that's the discounted price (-50%).

edit: Yeah, it is actually a cool app. Quite powerful. I need more time to test it, so I hope the price doesn't go up again before I'm done.

Guess Who

Banned
Tons of major apps are either leaving the MAS or were never on it in the first place. As it stands, selling on the Mac App Store adds a lot more work for devs for very little gain. From devs I've heard from, most apps that sell on both the MAS and outside it tend to actually do better outside it. Lack of upgrade pricing or offering free trials definitely hurts. Sandboxing also hurts - not that sandboxing isn't a good idea in theory, but the sandbox as it stands is too limited for many applications that don't even really dig that deep into the system. There's also the matter of, why should I sell on the Mac App Store and let Apple take a 30% cut when I can sell it myself and get all the revenue?

The MAS needs some pretty substantial improvements to keep devs coming back to it.

Ambitious

Coincidentally, they literally just released an update for the iOS app which refreshes the UI a bit. It's still not perfect, but better than before. They Mac app should be updated soon, I assume.

edit: 2Do or Wunderlist? Damn, I just can't decide.

Fuchsdh

I don't understand why Apple doesn't allow upgrade pricing, infrequently.

But I don't understand why sandboxing is a problem for developers. I like using a more secure OS.

I would be sympathetic to the concerns about sandboxing, but because none of these developers ever specifically enumerate what features they cannot introduce and why it always bugs me and strikes me as just a throwaway reason.

EmiPrime

Because people have been complaining about extensions and third-party keyboards since forever on iOS too.

I don't think these things are at all comparable. Apple seem to want the MAS to be like the iOS store even if that means shoehorning in paradigms that don't make sense and are a step backwards from what we are used to. I would be delighted if the recent certification fiasco has shamed them into doing something finally but it seems like at least once a year there's a groundswell of opinion against the MAS which Apple ride out and nothing happens.

Coincidentally, they literally just released an update for the iOS app which refreshes the UI a bit. It's still not perfect, but better than before. They Mac app should be updated soon, I assume.

edit: 2Do or Wunderlist? Damn, I just can't decide.

I used to use 2Do on iOS but I use Wunderlist now because it's cross platform. The former is more powerful but the latter is a lot easier to use. Can't go wrong with either really.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't allow upgrade pricing, infrequently.

But I don't understand why sandboxing is a problem for developers. I like using a more secure OS.

Some apps flat out don't work when sandboxed and some apps have more features when bought outside the MAS when that's an option. It's a crap situation and it's not making you any more secure than if you bought non-sandboxed apps from reputable developers.

EmiPrime

I would be sympathetic to the concerns about sandboxing, but because none of these developers ever specifically enumerate what features they cannot introduce and why it always bugs me and strikes me as just a throwaway reason.

That's not true. Plenty of app developers have explained why their apps can't be sandboxed, some without having features gutted and usability gutted (Coda, TextExpander) and others that can't work at all because they need root access (SuperDuper) or access to the file system (Alfred). I have several apps that help me with a disability and none of them would be accepted on the MAS because sandboxed apps can't use the accessibility API nor can they read my screen.

Ambitious

The latest PDFExpert update fixed the scrolling issue I posted about, but in general, scrolling performance is still terrible. When you scroll too fast, it won't load the content in time:

pdfexpert7qpj4.png

This happens consistently, not just initially when the respective pages are loaded/displayed for the first time.

Mindwipe

That's nonsense.

Apple's sandboxing on OSX makes the OS fundamentally less useful, and there are many clear examples of how it breaks obvious things.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is it possible to do a clean install of OS X while keeping the Windows partition?

nvm, I guess it's not possible.

10.11.2 is out

The OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update:

-Improves Wi-Fi reliability
-Improves the reliability of Handoff and AirDrop
-Fixes an issue that may cause Bluetooth devices to disconnect
-Fixes an issue that prevented Mail from deleting messages in an offline Exchange account
-Fixes an issue that prevented importing photos from an iPhone to a Mac using a USB cable
-Improves iCloud Photo Sharing for Live Photos

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This should be possible. As long as you don't re-partition the drive, the Windows partition should be left untouched, I think.
I don't really mind removing the Windows partition if it comes to that.

However, I've never done a clean install before of OS X. If I use my external drive for Time Machine, would I be able to bring those files to the new install?

Otherwise, I'll just start saving stuff in my user folder.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
WTF, Apple. Why is this happening?

The stupid thing is it happened all of a sudden out of nowhere BEFORE I updated to the final 10.11.2 build. I was watching YouTube in fullscreen and the fullscreen process crashed and put it back in the tab like normal. Ever since this is how it shows up now. But if I snap a second window to it and then take that window out of fullscreen leaving the video only it takes up the whole thing. The fullscreen process crashed a couple more times since but seem to have stopped.

I rebooted. No dice. I updated to the final build. No dice. I erased the cache for Safari. No dice. No idea what caused it. This has never happened before and it's pissing me off now. Why? How?

Notice the video is at the top of the screen instead of centered which means it isn't mistakenly thinking there's another app on the right side. And for some reason the overlaying UI widgets are on the right, but the control bar is half the width. What in the world kind of problem is this? Why is it happening?

All I can do is keep rebooting and hope it fixes itself. It only happens on my non-Retina iMac. Not my Retina MacBook Pro.

The stupid thing is it happened all of a sudden out of nowhere BEFORE I updated to the final 10.11.2 build. I was watching YouTube in fullscreen and the fullscreen process crashed and put it back in the tab like normal. Ever since this is how it shows up now. But if I snap a second window to it and then take that window out of fullscreen leaving the video only it takes up the whole thing. The fullscreen process crashed a couple more times since but seem to have stopped.

I rebooted. No dice. I updated to the final build. No dice. I erased the cache for Safari. No dice. No idea what caused it. This has never happened before and it's pissing me off now. Why? How?

Notice the video is at the top of the screen instead of centered which means it isn't mistakenly thinking there's another app on the right side. And for some reason the overlaying UI widgets are on the right, but the control bar is half the width. What in the world kind of problem is this? Why is it happening?

All I can do is keep rebooting and hope it fixes itself. It only happens on my non-Retina iMac. Not my Retina MacBook Pro.

Is it only happening in Safari? Did you try disabling all Safari extensions?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it only happening in Safari? Did you try disabling all Safari extensions?
Well I can't test Chrome and Firefox doesn't even handle fullscreen properly on OS X because it's a backwards outdated piece of shit. But it's only YouTube so far. Vimeo doesn't do it and displays right. I don't know if maybe it was YouTube fucking up, but since it looks right on my MacBook and I have all the same extensions enabled on both my Macs. I only have 4 extensions on the iMac. AdBlock, (Obligatory NeoGAF comment even though I don't browse GAF on my iMac) QuickStyle, NinjaKit and 1Password. I don't think any of those would cause a problem like this and not all of a sudden out of nowhere. They weren't even automatically updating so it wasn't a rogue update or anything.

I'm stumped.

Edit: I just discovered I can fix it easier than my other method by pausing and unpausing the video. For some weird reason that works. I don't know why. But it's a workaround until the problem is figured out.

Edit: I just discovered I can fix it easier than my other method by pausing and unpausing the video. For some weird reason that works. I don't know why. But it's a workaround until the problem is figured out.
Do you have Flash installed? If so, Adobe recommends removing it (and they're removing Flash installer downloads in January).

Welp, a corrupted file that decided to pronounce itself as 20,000 TB and from the year 2040 has throttled my install.

I have a backup and finagled it onto the system but it's not perfectly stable. I've been steadily upgrading and adding things to this computer since 2011. I think it's finally time for a full on format and reload of everything. It will take awhile but hell...it really is about time. I have apps and files sitting on here that haven't been touched in 3 years.

I would have preferred it a little more on my own terms, but it really is about that time.

Deku Tree

That was happening to me too yesterday. No idea why. I never ran the beta on that computer either.

Top Bottom