• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

People are noticing their HDDs getting spontaneously wiped while they are running Mavericks. It is mostly happening with external WD HDDs. There are huge threads about it on apples support forums. Some people claim Apple is agreeing to perform expensive data recovery for them (after many hours on the phone with them). Some people are saying it is caused by WD's utility software interacting with Mavericks. Apparently WD has removed all of their mac HDD utility software for download from their website. I had a WD backup disk get wiped mysteriously somehow overnight last night. Fortunately it was a dupe.

I am doing a clean install. I haven't done that since at least 2006. Huge pain. I don't think I can even go back to Mountain Lion since all my files have already been updated by Mavericks...

First thing I do when I buy any external HDD is to format it and wipe any pre-loaded shit on it. I don't trust these companies to make software, and there's a million superior alternatives for whatever backup software is on that drive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
First thing I do when I buy any external HDD is to format it and wipe any pre-loaded shit on it. I don't trust these companies to make software, and there's a million superior alternatives for whatever backup software is on that drive.
Basically the same thing I said. Can't be said enough. It's like buying a new PC and cleaning off all the bloat ware.

It's too bad Thunderbolt storage solutions are still so expensive, limited in selection, or in the case of Thunderbolt 2.0, nonexistent (speed would be useful for daisy-chaining and that). It's actually a great solution for external storage for video editing, especially for those who are still cutting on Macs (not that it's a bad idea with a high-end Retina MBP outside of the price premium).

Fuchsdh

It's too bad Thunderbolt storage solutions are still so expensive, limited in selection, or in the case of Thunderbolt 2.0, nonexistent (speed would be useful for daisy-chaining and that). It's actually a great solution for external storage for video editing, especially for those who are still cutting on Macs (not that it's a bad idea with a high-end Retina MBP outside of the price premium).

No point releasing TB2 stuff until the new Mac Pros have gotten into circulation. For now Thunderbolt is plenty fast for most online editing; Apple certainly intends Thunderbolt 2 to primarily focus on acting as external hardware expansion.

Majine

Banned
I guess this question overlaps with iOS, but does anyone know the deal with iMessage and text messages? On a Mac, I can send text messages through iMessage it seems, but they won't actually show there. I thought they were unifying that shit. In my options, everything is ticked.

Is that something that's simply not there yet? I kinda want all of my messages (Text and iMessages) on both my Mac and iPhone.

Mr. F

Banned
Notification centre is annoyingly out of sync with everything. I'll open it after a few days of not checking and it'll be full of old iMessages, facetime calls, facebook messages, etc. that I've long since tended to on other devices. Sometimes it clears things, but most times it doesn't (I don't think it ever clears facebook).

I guess this question overlaps with iOS, but does anyone know the deal with iMessage and text messages? On a Mac, I can send text messages through iMessage it seems, but they won't actually show there. I thought they were unifying that shit. In my options, everything is ticked.

Is that something that's simply not there yet? I kinda want all of my messages (Text and iMessages) on both my Mac and iPhone.

News to me, I wasn't aware you could send anything other than iMessages on Mac.

Majine

Banned
News to me, I wasn't aware you could send anything other than iMessages on Mac.

In settings, you can set it so you start new conversations through your phone number, so I would assume so, but I don't keep track of what is a text message or an iMessage among mine.

Danj

Anyone know how to create Mavericks install media (preferably a file that I can use with a VM, like an ISO or something) that will actually result in there being a Recovery HD partition when it's installed? I tried DiskMaker X and I tried the hdutil method, and while both resulted in usable install media, neither of them produced installations that had Recovery HD partitions, so I can't image with System Image Utility.

(for reference, I installed ESXi 5.5 on an actual Mac Mini, want to create a couple of OS X VMs with it)

On a Mac, I can send text messages through iMessage it seems[...]

That's a negative, Ghost Rider.

You only send iMessages on the Mac, or IMs via AIM and jabber (e.g. Google Talk chat). As you noticed, you can set your phone number as the caller ID if you have an iPhone.

Anyone know how to create Mavericks install media (preferably a file that I can use with a VM, like an ISO or something) that will actually result in there being a Recovery HD partition when it's installed?

I think I got a recovery partition out of my homemade media. I only did upgrade installs, but my Mac Pro lacked a recovery partition and the installer cancelled itself when it couldn't create one. Had to manually resize the partition to make room for one and reinstall.

In 10.8 I created a recovery partition on a DIY-Fusion-drive MBP After the fact, so you may be able to do that as well. Could it be that the installer notices the virtualization and does't bother?

So even though I've had a mac and iphone for almost four years, I've basically been using all google software on them. When I installed mavericks I decided to try out the "apple ecosystem". The new safari really is quite a bit smoother and less battery intensive than chrome. I still don't like how it displays tabs, and apple really needs to use chrome's three finger gesture for switching between them, and also update the UI to match its ios7 counterpart. But other than that, very impressed. I like how gifs don't kill my browser anymore. Also switched from gmail to using the apple mail application and it works really nicely. I love how I get notifications outside of the browser. Really fast as well, unlike the clunky gmail web app and iphone app. Makes me wonder why I never bothered using it. Finally, I love the imessages app. After I synced my contacts through icloud, my macbook basically became an extension of my iphone with regards to text messages. Super cool.

I used to laugh at people who didn't want to switch away from mac or ios because of breaking the ecosystem. But after trying it for a couple of days, I can see why people are hesitant to do so. Apple really does a good job integrating their software between devices.

Deku Tree

So even though I've had a mac and iphone for almost four years, I've basically been using all google software on them. When I installed mavericks I decided to try out the "apple ecosystem". The new safari really is quite a bit smoother and less battery intensive than chrome. I still don't like how it displays tabs, and apple really needs to use chrome's three finger gesture for switching between them, and also update the UI to match its ios7 counterpart. But other than that, very impressed. I like how gifs don't kill my browser anymore. Also switched from gmail to using the apple mail application and it works really nicely. I love how I get notifications outside of the browser. Really fast as well, unlike the clunky gmail web app and iphone app. Makes me wonder why I never bothered using it. Finally, I love the imessages app. After I synced my contacts through icloud, my macbook basically became an extension of my iphone with regards to text messages. Super cool.

I used to laugh at people who didn't want to switch away from mac or ios because of breaking the ecosystem. But after trying it for a couple of days, I can see why people are hesitant to do so. Apple really does a good job integrating their software between devices.

Almost all Apple apps are almost always immensely better than any alternatives when using Apple devices.

Is there a way to get email notifications without having the Mail app open?

As in fully shutting down the program?

Almost all Apple apps are almost always immensely better than any alternatives when using Apple devices.

The gmail app in particular on iphone is complete crap. Laggy as hell, takes ages to load up older mail. The apple app just flies through everything, and it looks a lot nicer to boot. Ditto for Safari vs chrome. I swear, my macbook's battery lasts at least 40 minutes longer after switching to safari.

About Safari on OSX, is Apple going to update the UI anytime soon? I assumed the new version with Mavericks would share the same style as iOS 7, but it looks no different from before. I really want a better tab system. I've been spoiled by Chrome.

As in fully shutting down the program?

Yep.

Well I totally forgot you can close the app window without closing the App on Macs. I tried getting used to using the mail app but it felt very sluggish and bloated so I just closed it. Let me see how it runs while having the viewer closed.

Yep.

Well I totally forgot you can close the app window without closing the App on Macs. I tried getting used to using the mail app but it felt very sluggish and bloated so I just closed it. Let me see how it runs while having the viewer closed.

When I first setup the mail app it took like an hour to sync everything with my gmail account, so it was a bit sluggish. It's been smooth as silk ever since.

Danj

I think I got a recovery partition out of my homemade media. I only did upgrade installs, but my Mac Pro lacked a recovery partition and the installer cancelled itself when it couldn't create one. Had to manually resize the partition to make room for one and reinstall.

In 10.8 I created a recovery partition on a DIY-Fusion-drive MBP After the fact, so you may be able to do that as well. Could it be that the installer notices the virtualization and does't bother?

Well, the initial problem I had was that the Mavericks installer wouldn't even see the virtual hard drive unless I created a partition on it first. Are there any instructions somewhere for how to manually create a Mavericks recovery partition?

Deku Tree

I recently did a clean install of Mavericks because of the WD HDD issue. Now all my iOS devices are looking to sync with a computer that doesnt exist anymore... What is the easiest way to fully sync up my devices with my new (same old) computer? Do I need to fully erase and restore all of them?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I recently did a clean install of Mavericks because of the WD HDD issue. Now all my iOS devices are looking to sync with a computer that doesnt exist anymore... What is the easiest way to fully sync up my devices with my new (same old) computer? Do I need to fully erase and restore all of them?
You didn't even migrate your old stuff over? Maybe you can bring over the iTunes Library and settings. But I don't know how iOS attaches itself to a copy of iTunes and computer.

mrkgoo

When I moved to my new iMac which I only transferred over the user folder, I think it countednt as a new mac.

I think it's something like plug in the device (don't let it sync), and right click the device in the iTunes sidebar and select backup device. This associates it with that computer. I think.

VeeP

Hey guys, is there a way to clean install Mavericks? Does the OS allow it, or is there an easy to follow guide anywhere?

Right now I'm on a Macbook Air 2013 model running Mountain Lion. Thanks.

Deku Tree

When I moved to my new iMac which I only transferred over the user folder, I think it countednt as a new mac.

I think it's something like plug in the device (don't let it sync), and right click the device in the iTunes sidebar and select backup device. This associates it with that computer. I think.

Thanks!

Hey guys, is there a way to clean install Mavericks? Does the OS allow it, or is there an easy to follow guide anywhere?

Right now I'm on a Macbook Air 2013 model running Mountain Lion. Thanks.

Yes, you boot from a external drive like a USB stick and then you re-formate your HDD with disk utility, and then you re-install Mavericks.

I had to boot into internet recovery (I forget the keystrokes), wipe my HDD, install ML, and then install Mavericks on top of ML because my unauthorized USB Mavericks installer would not create a recovery partition on my SSD.

You need a recovery partition in order to turn on Find My Mac.

hEist

something is weird the last couple days.
since the last days my mac mini (late 2009 on ssd and 8gb RAM) is running weird. Somehow Safari keeps "crashing" and thinks like "refresh within twitter.app not working (scrolling up))".

i don't know what's happing. Dunno if it's mavericks or the ssd somehow is failing... again.
Last week everything worked fine on mavericks.

Someone also experiencing this phenomena?

solid mike

Sometimes, the battery percentage does not decrease until I let my laptop sleep on Mavericks.

Recently switched from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and I must say I liked the transition but there are a few things I disliked but I think it would be nitpicking on my part.

mrkgoo

The integration is really great. I've loved it for a long time (having things just work because Apple control the hardware and software and know how they work between devices - issues are typically known etc), but it became orders of magnitudes more useful with cloud.

For the longest time, people tout the 'ecosystem' and 'integration' as being great, but so many people don't grasp the idea and just think about the same features being 'possible' without care for execution and simplicity and then focus on hardware features.

It's really hard to explain how the small details actually are very beneficial, elevating something from being useful to something enjoyable.

How is iWork 09s compatibility with Mavericks?

I'm using 08 and Pages gets hung up on simple stuff like saving etc when i use it.

I was interested in getting the new version but a lot of features were stripped out of it so i might wait until Apple starts putting them back in.

If 09 works well i might just buy that off amazon - so anyone have any reports?

Otherwise as far as i can see Mavericks has been fine, maybe a bit slow to start compared to Lion (never upgraded to ML) but its fine

edit: i'm on iMac mid 2011

mrkgoo

something that kind of bugs me is the notification to update my App Store apps is that it says updates are available and to update or to remind later - but no option to go see the updates to see what they are from the notification.

I mean, I'd like to know what the updates are before doing it.

jstripes

Banned
something that kind of bugs me is the notification to update my App Store apps is that it says updates are available and to update or to remind later - but no option to go see the updates to see what they are from the notification.

This has been bugging me too.

fireside

Click the notification

No, not the two buttons. Click the other part of the notification.

mrkgoo

Click the notification

No, not the two buttons. Click the other part of the notification.

Hmmm. I'll have to do it next time. I guess it opens the app that sent the notification (i.e. App Store?). If so, then I guess disregard complaint.

Still, they could tell you whihc apps are going to update in the notification like:

"Aperture and 3 others want to update. Update. Later. Go to Appstore."

Danj

This utility helped me create the missing Recovery HD partitions that were required for System Image Utility to recognise my installation as a valid NetRestore source. Turns out you need recovery partitions both on the target disk AND the server you're running SIU on.

bowery

so i used to get notifications from NYT and CNN but now i dont get any, checking my system preferences and they are both checked but i get nothing, anyone know what could be wrong?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So I installed an SSD and did a fresh install recently, and while this thing is blazing, quite often the "find file/folder" prompt window takes quite a bit of time to populate. The spinny circle near "New Folder" shows, instead of instantly showing me everything. Anyone know what may be amiss?

GWX

So I installed an SSD and did a fresh install recently, and while this thing is blazing, quite often the "find file/folder" prompt window takes quite a bit of time to populate. The spinny circle near "New Folder" shows, instead of instantly showing me everything. Anyone know what may be amiss?

Probably Mavericks jerking around. Lots of bugs in this release, 10.9.1 can't come soon enough.

Dirtbag

I had a ton of issues with Mavericks including but not limited to kernel panics, freezes on standby-modes, spotty Creative Suite hangups.

Time-machined back to OSX.10.7.5
Running much better now.

Nothing is free.

Probably Mavericks jerking around. Lots of bugs in this release, 10.9.1 can't come soon enough.

Was really hoping for 10.9.1 last week or this week, which I guess in retrospect is stupid, since Apple gives their employees the entire week of Thanksgiving off.

I fully expect it within the next two weeks, though. I just hope it addresses a good number of bugs, rather than the typical 10.x.1 releases which are usually incredibly small and only address a few very specific 0-day issues.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd give anything for an extension of some sort that can put a clock in this general area...

ibhLF5c65NUUKz.png

On Chrome I had a button extension that used the notification number for a clock. I guess Safari doesn't allow for that.

Or, maybe I could create an extension that adds one to the bottom-right corner of the screen by embedding some HTML and JavaScript into each page. Just a small clock is all. Nothing huge.

Top Bottom