• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

BlindRage

I haven't tried using the start up disk that comes with the computer think that would make any difference? I was at school when I encountered the problem and now I'm at my girlfriends so I haven't been home to try the disk but if that won't fix anything I will set up an appt with apple tomorrow.

Make a backup if you don't have one. You should assume your drive is dead ( it may not be, but you need to proceed as if it is). Do you know how to clone a drive? Do you have a spare external?

I have had I an unrepairable HDD that simply needed to be erased and then the backup restored to it.

I haven't tried using the start up disk that comes with the computer think that would make any difference?

Booting off a different volume/drive may allow certain repairs not possible when booted from that which you're trying to repair.

mrkgoo

Is it possible to back up an iPhone to a mac without really syncing it?

I basically want to have a local backup of my parentS idevices, but don't want it to sync too much junk.

I think I'll create a new user account and connect it up but I don't really want it to sync purchases or contacts etc.

Also my dad's iPhone on the same user account - don't want their contacts and other stuff syncing you see.

Number45

I basically want to have a local backup of my parentS idevices, but don't want it to sync too much junk.

I think I'll create a new user account and connect it up but I don't really want it to sync purchases or contacts etc.

Also my dad's iPhone on the same user account - don't want their contacts and other stuff syncing you see.
Just deselect all of the sync options when you connect it up for the first time.

Enzom21

Right click your device and select backup.

LjhPhgx.png

This will only backup settings and the camera roll, no apps or music.

DigitalOp

Banned
Firefox is running like crap in Mavericks. Keeps randomly freezing or slowing down for me. Trying switching to Safari for a while..

Issues with Firefox here as well. Safari and Chrome are running perfectly though.

Funny. Firefox is still a beauty over here.

Mid 2012 MBP

Mavericks seems like such a vastly minor update since I don't use iOS or iCloud... No big difference for me except stability really

Number45

Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic image editor for Mavericks? Just something like Paint that I can quickly fire up to resize an image?

I thought there was a default art program for a while. I remember using it when in high school on those old all in one PowerPC's. Actually convinced my art teacher to let me do several projects using it.

PowerPC.jpeg

Ah, the memories of how big a deal it was when every room in my high school got one of these. And no one knew how to use them.

MacPaint is older than that. '84 - '88. There were other programmes though. In the '90s I used shareware paint programs as well as Photoshop and Aldus Freehand.

Number45

Investigating some TERRIBLE battery life on my 2012 MBA on Mavericks. Since the update it seems I've been chewing through the battery in no time at all. :(

Activity Monitor shows Tweetbot by far the highest offender (average impact of 69, compared to the next highest which is Safari at 21). Will try the laptop for a while without it running and see.

EDIT: Fired off a quick tweet to the team and they've responded already. :)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My keyboard stops working for some reason.

I'll start typing something and then it'll just stop. Then I have to use the trackpad to put the cursor to where I was last writing something, and it functions again.

This is on a new MBP. Anyone have similar issues?

comedian

Recently the "Trash" has been updating quite slowly (i.e. when i ask to delete some stuff, it'll take a couple of seconds before they appear in the trash can). Is this happening to anyone else ?

Deku Tree

People are noticing their HDDs getting spontaneously wiped while they are running Mavericks. It is mostly happening with external WD HDDs. There are huge threads about it on apples support forums. Some people claim Apple is agreeing to perform expensive data recovery for them (after many hours on the phone with them). Some people are saying it is caused by WD's utility software interacting with Mavericks. Apparently WD has removed all of their mac HDD utility software for download from their website. I had a WD backup disk get wiped mysteriously somehow overnight last night. Fortunately it was a dupe.

I am doing a clean install. I haven't done that since at least 2006. Huge pain. I don't think I can even go back to Mountain Lion since all my files have already been updated by Mavericks...

mrkgoo

People are noticing their HDDs getting spontaneously wiped while they are running Mavericks. It is mostly happening with external WD HDDs. There are huge threads about it on apples support forums. Some people claim Apple is agreeing to perform expensive data recovery for them (after many hours on the phone with them). Some people are saying it is caused by WD's utility software interacting with Mavericks. Apparently WD has removed all of their mac HDD utility software for download from their website. I had a WD backup disk get wiped mysteriously somehow overnight last night. Fortunately it was a dupe.

I am doing a clean install. I haven't done that since at least 2006. Huge pain. I don't think I can even go back to Mountain Lion since all my files have already been updated by Mavericks...

hmm. I did hear about this.

Did your WD HDD a desktop or portable version? Did you have the WD software installed?

And what does it look like when it wipes? Like you just open it one day, and it's empty?

I have a bunch of WD drives.... never installed their software though.

Fuchsdh

Damn. It had some issues in Mountain Lion but Mavericks finally messed up my old Notify menubar item enough that I've chucked it (had been abandoned since 2010).

Anyone know any Mavericks-compatible Gmail notifiers that can support multiple accounts?

Deku Tree

hmm. I did hear about this.

Did your WD HDD a desktop or portable version? Did you have the WD software installed?

And what does it look like when it wipes? Like you just open it one day, and it's empty?

I have a bunch of WD drives.... never installed their software though.

My WD was a full size external USB 3.0 HDD. I found some WD software from 2006 installed in some crazy places. It wasn't even stuff that you see loading as a program, it was just some kind of a background process that appears in activity monitor. That's why I did this clean install.

And yes, I just walked up to my computer this morning and the WD HDD was reformatted and had a new name "My Book".

Deku Tree

So if you never touched WD's software, everything's cool?

Cross your fingers.

EDIT: There are people who are running WD drives who claim to have never installed any WD software but somehow found WD software files on their computer after they experienced this data loss problem.

mrkgoo

Cross your fingers.

EDIT: There are people who are running WD drives who claim to have never installed any WD software but somehow found WD software files on their computer after they experienced this data loss problem.

Ouch.

The first thing I tend to do is copy anything on the drive somewhere else (just in case) then reformatting the drive.

So is there any idea what is actually going on here? I can understand corrupted or incompatible software, but self installing? Or maybe some firmware on the drives that is messed up with mavericks?

Any idea of fixes?

aph_elion

Neo Member
I'm seriously starting to get pissed that a Macbook pro that is less than a year old randomly freezes with only Safari and iTunes open.

Randomly disappearing icons on the launchpad are not helping either.

What a crappy update.

Deku Tree

Ouch.

The first thing I tend to do is copy anything on the drive somewhere else (just in case) then reformatting the drive.

So is there any idea what is actually going on here? I can understand corrupted or incompatible software, but self installing? Or maybe some firmware on the drives that is messed up with mavericks?

Any idea of fixes?

Run the WD software un-installer from their webpage, and hope for the best. I did a clean install myself.

ok so after a few weeks of Mavericks usage I have encountered a few issues.

1. Crashes a lot.
2. Empty trash is buggy, every time I right click trash and want to empty it, the finder comes up a long with the empty trash yes or cancel icon.
3. skype ends up not working from time to time.

I am on a macbook air mid 2012 model

My WD was a full size external USB 3.0 HDD. I found some WD software from 2006 installed in some crazy places. It wasn't even stuff that you see loading as a program, it was just some kind of a background process that appears in activity monitor.

Did they have 'wd' in the name? If so, I'm in the clear.

Jake.

ok so after a few weeks of Mavericks usage I have encountered a few issues.

1. Crashes a lot.
2. Empty trash is buggy, every time I right click trash and want to empty it, the finder comes up a long with the empty trash yes or cancel icon.
3. skype ends up not working from time to time.

I am on a macbook air mid 2012 model

i'm having a ton of issues (posted throughout this thread) on a mid 2012 air as well - i just used skype for the first time in months today and it kept fucking up as well. ugh.

Deku Tree

Did they have 'wd' in the name? If so, I'm in the clear.

Mine did. They might not show up in a spotlight search. You should really run the un-installer from WD's webpage. But I don't have a link to it right now. Note there are some processes that run in "activity monitor" that have a WD in the name that are not WD software that are needed by the OS.

Mine did. They might not show up in a spotlight search.

You said 'processes' so I searched in Activity Monitor. I have a single WD external drive, a 2.5", and a bunch of WD internals. Have never installed any software for/from these drives, and in fact, erase all media as soon as I get it.

Note there are some processes that run in "activity monitor" that have a WD in the name that are not WD software that are needed by the OS.

Not on my 10.9 machines there aren't. Edit: not on my 10.9 machine with no wifi. There is a wdhelper daemon that's used for wifi.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, there's your problem. Never EVER use the bundled shitware that comes with hard drives. It's bullshit bloatware. There's much better utilities out there for backing up and performing maintenance. Stuff that's been around for years and is tried and true. The first thing I do with any new hard drive out of the box, even if it's "pre-formatted for Mac" is throw aside the instructions and reformat the thing. Don't even bother with the installer. It's not needed. You don't need to install a hard drive. It's universal. Trust the utilities you already have. If you're using it for backup, use Time Machine or Carbon Copy or Super Duper.

Deku Tree

Well, there's your problem. Never EVER use the bundled shitware that comes with hard drives. It's bullshit bloatware. There's much better utilities out there for backing up and performing maintenance. Stuff that's been around for years and is tried and true. The first thing I do with any new hard drive out of the box, even if it's "pre-formatted for Mac" is throw aside the instructions and reformat the thing. Don't even bother with the installer. It's not needed. You don't need to install a hard drive. It's universal. Trust the utilities you already have. If you're using it for backup, use Time Machine or Carbon Copy or Super Duper.

Except when you didn't install that stuff and it happens anyway.

EDIT: Even if the software is a crap utility, it shouldn't spontaneously wipe your HDD.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Except when you didn't install that stuff and it happens anyway.
Are there actually cases of that though? I have 5 Western Digital HDD's and 2 Seagate HDD's and have had no reformatting happen. I don't use the bundled software ever.

EDIT: Even if the software is a crap utility, it shouldn't spontaneously wipe your HDD.
Well, neither should an OS. But apparently it's happening somehow.

Deku Tree

Are there actually cases of that though? I have 5 Western Digital HDD's and 2 Seagate HDD's and have had no reformatting happen. I don't use the bundled software ever.

I don't remember installing any WD software on my computer... although the WD software I found on my computer was from 2006 so who knows... but there are other people on Apple's Support forums who claim that they never installed the software... it doesn't hurt to run the uninstaller.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't remember installing any WD software on my computer... although the WD software I found on my computer was from 2006 so who knows... but there are other people on Apple's Support forums who claim that they never installed the software... it doesn't hurt to run the uninstaller.
I hope we get a reason soon. I wonder what the cause is and how widespread it is.

mrkgoo

Doesn't hurt to run the installer? I mean yeah I know what it's for, but running ANYTHING there's the potential for harm. After all this uninstalled comes from a company that has an incompatibility with the OS (who knows whose fault it is, but that's moot), so I'd say it isn't totally risk free. How are we to know it doesn't install something else, for example to monitor that you don't install the bad WD stuff, and that software has an issue later?

Which HDD did you have by the way? Essentials? My Book? Elements? Passbook?

Deku Tree

Doesn't hurt to run the installer? I mean yeah I know what it's for, but running ANYTHING there's the potential for harm. After all this uninstalled comes from a company that has an incompatibility with the OS (who knows whose fault it is, but that's moot), so I'd say it isn't totally risk free. How are we to know it doesn't install something else, for example to monitor that you don't install the bad WD stuff, and that software has an issue later?

Which HDD did you have by the way? Essentials? My Book? Elements? Passbook?

My Book 4TB

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And this is we're buying expensive GTech, Lacie and OWC drives works out for me.
Every single LaCie HDD I bought in the past died within 1-2 years. I used to swear by them. Now, eh.

I switched to WD for a while (Two MyBooks until they started putting mandatory firmware on them then switched to Essentials which look much nicer anyway.) and have since switched to Seagate USB3 Expansion drives. I'm about to purchase a third one of 4TB this time. (I really wish they sold 6GB ones. I'd really like to have less drives. I also wish my Mac mini had USB3. I'm wasting the drives potential.)

So now I'm up to 5 WD drives, (1 old MyBook and 4 Essentials. One of my original MyBook's is dying, but not completely yet. And my 5th Essentials died a year ago or so.) and 2 Seagate Expansions. (Which I switched to and am slowly replacing my WD with since losing my first WD drive, which to be fair, is a few years old. I have pried the drive out of its case and wonder if I could purchase a replacement and put it inside.*)

Bottom line, hard drives die. But they shouldn't just reformat themselves, which is what this discussion was originally about. So I dunno what the deal with that is. It's apparently not the drive anyway, Fuchsdh. It's apparently software related. (If not internal drive hardware circuitry) Which is what we're trying to figure out. If it's only WD drives, then something is up with either software on their end or the controller inside the drive casing. If it's also other brands, then it could happen to anyone of any brand.

*On the topic of Western Digital Elements drives. Has anyone ever replaced the drive inside the case? It looks to just be standard SATA.

mrkgoo

My Book 4TB
My understanding is that it's a mybooks thing (and software).

Not sure though.

Real abed - I've changed hard drives in a seagate enclosure once. I actually took out the hard drive and put it in my mac, because they didn't make internal hard drives that big at the time (640GB). It seemed to be ok. It was slow though - I guess they reserved slower drives for external use. (I used super duper at the time and the clone was a bit weird as well).

Top Bottom