• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Hopefully it's that simple. I will check it out when I get home. Thanks!

I can't remember if my current 10.9 install on a wifi-less 2008 Mac Pro is a descendant of a 10.7 install of a 2006 Mac Pro on which I ran the single terminal command to enable it.

Either way I used it two days ago on my wifi-less Mac Pro ;)

Any solutions for it? Resetting SMC and NVRAM didn't help at all. I think a reinstall is looking like the only option right now.

Outside of restarting? Not that I know of. Brand new rMBP with only my User Folder migrated (minus the weird "Other Settings" folder that Migration Assistant always wants to transfer), and it happens probably twice a week to me.

Haven't noticed it in 10.9.1 yet, but it's early.

Got a problem with the Dock.

My Macbook air told me there was an update available, so I updated and now when I am browsing the DOCK will disappear.

I have checked the DOCK settings and the box AUTOMATICALLY HIDE AND SHOW THE DOCK is unticked.

it still will hide if I browse etc, also the top tool bar were I can see time, wifi etc etc is also hiding once I do something on the macbook.

kennah

Intersting. I noticed that my Dock disappears since 10.9.1 as well. Though it only seems to happen when I'm on multi monitors.

Ugh. So the new iMovie isn't compact enough to fit on a RETINA 1280x800 screen with the dock on the left. It actually crops off dialog boxes and stuff. Stupid.

So I just got my first mac(posting from:D) any of you guys know some good tutorials of how to get around the os? or is there one already built in?

I love how silent this thing is.

Vashetti

Banned
So I just got my first mac(posting from:D) any of you guys know some good tutorials of how to get around the os? or is there one already built in?

Seriously just play around with it. You can't really mess anything up.

I got mine last year and had never used Mac OS before. It's very intuitive.

DedValve

Banned

Just got a macbook about a week ago. Even made a thread about it here on gaf.

The biggest change by far is finder, completely different from the folders in windows. I find it much harder to do anything on finder (although it seems that everyone agrees that finder is super shit).

Also apparently deleting .dmg files will also completely uninstall the software? I know I had to re-install skype when I hit the eject button on finder and deleted the .dmg in order to save on space.

Any finder alternatives?

The biggest change by far is finder, completely different from the folders in windows. I find it much harder to do anything on finder (although it seems that everyone agrees that finder is super shit).

Also apparently deleting .dmg files will also completely uninstall the software? I know I had to re-install skype when I hit the eject button on finder and deleted the .dmg in order to save on space.

Any finder alternatives?

Are you just running apps from their DMGs? You should install them by dragging them to your applications folder. Then you can delete the DMG.

Skunkers

Uh, what? No.

You do realize you need to copy the file from the mounted disk to your hard drive/applications folder, in order for it to be installed, right? Opening a .dmg file effectively mounts a logical disk (an imaginary CD-ROM, if you will). You need to copy the file from the "CD" to your HDD/applications folder so that when you eject the "CD" you have the file permanently saved. This is the same on all OS's, be it Windows or Linux or whatever.

Also you may want to just hang on and try and power through Finder before hunting alternatives. I don't think OS X is the kind of OS you really want to be fighting against right from the start.

DedValve

Banned
Are you just running apps from their DMGs? You should install them by dragging them to your applications folder. Then you can delete the DMG.

Oh, had no idea. Thanks!

Uh, what? No.

You do realize you need to copy the file from the mounted disk to your hard drive/applications folder, in order for it to be installed, right? Opening a .dmg file effectively mounts a logical disk (an imaginary CD-ROM, if you will). You need to copy the file from the "CD" to your HDD/applications folder so that when you eject the "CD" you have the file permanently saved. This is the same on all OS's, be it Windows or Linux or whatever.

No I don't realize. As I said I'm completely new to mac so this is all completely new to me.

on Windows you just double click the exe and it automatically installs everything, you can then delete the exe with no problem so it's not the same.

Skype was working fine just by double clicking the dmg file so I assumed it was installed.

Oh, had no idea. Thanks!

No I don't realize. As I said I'm completely new to mac so this is all completely new to me.

on Windows you just double click the exe and it automatically installs everything, you can then delete the exe with no problem so it's not the same.

Skype was working fine just by double clicking the dmg file so I assumed it was installed.

Just bear in mind that a DMG is not equivalent to an EXE. It's more like an ISO.

KanyeEast

Banned
Guys what is the best way to stream movies(mkv and avi) from my macbook to my tv? Is Apple TV any good or are there better alternatives?

Skunkers

A .dmg is the same as a .iso in Windows. It's a disk image. Your confusion is somewhat understandable, since most programs in Windows require the use of an installer/uninstaller. On Mac, most programs, especially smaller ones, just put the application on a disk image so you can drag and drop copy the file. Similarly, you don't need to use an uninstaller, you just throw an unwanted program in the Trash. Some larger programs will actually use an install wizard.

A lot of times, for ease of use, when you open a .dmg you'll notice an alias (shortcut in Windows terminology) to your Applications folder on the mounted disk, so you can just drag and drop the application onto the alias to install it to your hard drive.

Huh, so I moved the dmg. files to applications now lets see if that fixes the skype getting a question mark logo everytime I hit the eject.

That is not the correct way to install an application. Mount the DMG, drag the Skype icon within it to the Applications folder, and run it from there. Then you can and should delete the DMG.

mollipen

Huh, so I moved the dmg. files to applications now lets see if that fixes the skype getting a question mark logo everytime I hit the eject.

No, no. Don't move the DMG. It's just a virtual disk or sorts that acts as a delivery device.

When you open the DMG, the Skype app is on it. Copy the app to your applications folder, not the entire DMG.

Think of it as somebody lending you a USB flash drive with an app on it. Want to just use the app once? Run it from the drive. Want to keep the app? Copy it to your hard drive so you'll always have it.

Skunkers

No, you want to double click the .dmg to mount the disk image, double click on the new icon that shows up on your desktop to open the new "drive" and copy the application from there to your HDD. Then you can eject/unmount the drive and delete the .dmg.

Think of opening a .dmg as inserting a CD into your computer, and unmounting/ejecting it as ejecting the CD. Once you've got what you need off the the .dmg and unmounted it, you can delete it.

See my reply in your thread. You're not understanding the purpose and function of .dmg files, which is entirely understandable.

It's a disk image, identical in concept to an .iso file you'd burn into a CD or DVD, except that they can read/write. When you double-click it, you mount that 'disk'. They're identical in function to how optical disks and USB sticks work.

The most typical use for disk images for most Mac users is for software downloads. After you mount the disk image, you run an installer or copy the application to any place you'd like on your Mac (typically /Applications, in the sidebar); typically a developer puts instructions in the window's background. Then you eject the disk image and throw away the .dmg.

This is not the only use of disk images— I use encrypted read/write ones to store confidential materials; I back up to an advanced disk image called a sparse bundle that's hosted on a Linux server— this allows me to write to a Mac filesystem on a Linux box that knows nothing about the Mac filesystem.

Edit: apparently this has all been said in the 40 minutes I've taken to write this while being trapped on the phone.

Any finder alternatives?
Yea, I'll say this I miss having a video and picture folders.

Treefrog

Guys what is the best way to stream movies(mkv and avi) from my macbook to my tv? Is Apple TV any good or are there better alternatives?

I recently got a Roku 3 for this very purpose. It has a 'Channel' store, similar to apps. Plex, the media manager, is available as a channel for the Roku. You run Plex Media Manager on your computer and the Plex channel will let you browse through and play your media.

Basically, I have a bunch of anime and tv shows that my tv can pull straight from my computer. And the channel automatically adds descriptions and cover art.

official_plex_for_roku_640_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Fuchsdh

I think this brief conversation illustrates the stupidity of using .dmg files as application delivery devices
I prefer them. I do know tons of people who just leave the dmg's cluttering their computer though. App Store apps at least make it entirely transparent.

mrkgoo

I thought so as well. but its not, seems to be an issue with that update.

I don't use auto hide, but on multi monitors in full screen it will shift the dock if you happen to be on another screen and move the pointer tot the bottom of that screen.

It then 'hides' it from the other screen.

I thought this was normal. Is this what you are seeing?

Where are they located?

Oh yeah. Hot unix tip: ~/ is your home folder.
In Finder this is the folder with a house icon and your name on it.

~/Movies and ~/Pictures are the default locations for iMovie and iPhoto stuff. ~/Music is the default home for your iTunes library (including all non-music iTunes nonsense) and GarageBand creations.

Other folders that every user has by default:
Downloads, Documents, Public, and Library.

Think the first two are self explanatory.

Anything in Public is world readable to other users on your machine and those you allow to connect to your Mac over the network (including guests). Includes a dropbox that is world writable but only readable to you.

Library is hidden and can be accessed via Terminal or option clicking the Go menu in Finder and choosing Library. It contains all the per-user behind the scenes files like preferences. Also the default location for your Steam library.

Drag to the edge of the screen and hold.

Or drag and while keeping your thumb down, swipe woth four or three fingers. (Depending)

Apple ain't stupid. It still works fine.

I know all of this. This is all still much more cumbersome than having two windows side by side and dragging and dropping.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Oh yeah. Hot unix tip: ~/ is your home folder.
In Finder this is the folder with a house icon and your name on it.

~/Movies and ~/Pictures are the default locations for iMovie and iPhoto stuff. ~/Music is the default home for your iTunes library (including all non-music iTunes nonsense) and GarageBand creations.

Other folders that every user has by default:
Downloads, Documents, Public, and Library.

Think the first two are self explanatory.

Anything in Public is world readable to other users on your machine and those you allow to connect to your Mac over the network (including guests). Includes a dropbox that is world writable but only readable to you.

Library is hidden and can be accessed via Terminal or option clicking the Go menu in Finder and choosing Library. It contains all the per-user behind the scenes files like preferences. Also the default location for your Steam library.

Another tip, you can drag and drop any folder on the dock for easy access and if you want, right click and change it to list view to make it menu-like. I have my documents, app and a games folder like that on my doc, though I usually just use spotlight to launch all my apps. Apple-space is so easy and fast.

Play around with the different views in Finder. You can also have tabs in it now. It's not perfect, but it's more functional once you set it to your liking.

Fuchsdh

Another tip, you can drag and drop any folder on the dock for easy access and if you want, right click and change it to list view to make it menu-like. I have my documents, app and a games folder like that on my doc, though I usually just use spotlight to launch all my apps. Apple-space is so easy and fast.

Play around with the different views in Finder. You can also have tabs in it now. It's not perfect, but it's more functional once you set it to your liking.

After all the bitching about tabs (from myself included) I thought I would use tabbed Finder windows more but I really haven't. It's not any faster for spring-load dropping files and I tend to be aggressive about cleaning my windows anyhow.

I updated Mavericks today, and now my sound in Boot Camp isn't working. Well, I don't know if that actually did it, but it was working normally yesterday.

NekoFever

I think this brief conversation illustrates the stupidity of using .dmg files as application delivery devices

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people still running apps they've downloaded from DMGs. Assuming we can't directly download .app files because of their structure, it would be much cleaner if they used some kind of self-extracting archive that would drop the app into the Applications folder and then delete itself - that's kind of how I've got The Unarchiver set up.

mrkgoo

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people still running apps they've downloaded from DMGs. Assuming we can't directly download .app files because of their structure, it would be much cleaner if they used some kind of self-extracting archive that would drop the app into the Applications folder and then delete itself - that's kind of how I've got The Unarchiver set up.

This is a good idea, but I think the whole point of the application file was to show that it's a self-contained file -let the user know what is going on with it. Double-click to open a file, click and drag to move it.

Many apps still use a .pkg installer, which I guess is more analogous to the .exe installer on Win. I personally don't like these as much, as it's kind of like a mysterious box.

It's hard to reconcile what is 'intuitive', when the Win way might just be that is how people are used to doing it.

Fuchsdh

This is a good idea, but I think the whole point of the application file was to show that it's a self-contained file -let the user know what is going on with it. Double-click to open a file, click and drag to move it.

Many apps still use a .pkg installer, which I guess is more analogous to the .exe installer on Win. I personally don't like these as much, as it's kind of like a mysterious box.

It's hard to reconcile what is 'intuitive', when the Win way might just be that is how people are used to doing it.

Speaking of intuitive, anyone remember OS 9 where if you just dragged files to your desktop from removable media, you didn’t actually copy it to your file system and it would disappear when you unmounted? Good times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Speaking of intuitive, anyone remember OS 9 where if you just dragged files to your desktop from removable media, you didn’t actually copy it to your file system and it would disappear when you unmounted? Good times.
Oh man. I forgot about that. Every disk had its own Desktop folder. Cool at the time, but I wouldn't want that functionality back at all. lol

LCfiner

Some newer apps have moved to zip files instead of DMGs. the app is extracted straight from the zip and you can run it from whatever folder you want. Some will have a little message encouraging you to move it to the Apps folder for keeping things organized.

And, of course, the MAS solves a lot of this by just plopping the app package in your apps folder.

I always thought DMGs were simple enough but it creates enough confusion with new users (dragging and dropping is a simple operation but the temporary nature of the mounted DMG isn’t always obvious) for it to be phased out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Most DMG files I've downloaded these days have very simple instructions in the folder itself with an impossible to miss arrow pointing to a shortcut to your Applications folder.

Top Bottom