• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So it's actually free? Wow.

Even for me on Snow Leopard? I won't upgrade just yet since a lot of apps will no longer be supported, but it's something to consider at some point soon.
What apps do you have? SL is so old, I'm sure most of what you could possibly have is probably well past compatible.

so1337

Does this fix notifications? Non-stop notifications that can only be turned off for a day are the worst.

Does this fix gestures? The spread-gesture only works 1 out of 5 times and it's the only one you can't customize. It was perfect in Mountain Lion Snow Leopard.

kuppy

Does this fix notifications? Non-stop notifications that can only be turned off for a day are the worst.
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/os-x/
Notification Improvements

The Notification Center has been overhauled and notifications have new functionality that includes cross-platform syncing with iOS.

Users can send replies directly within notifications for emails, FaceTime calls, and Messages. Messages, tweets, and emails can be drafted and sent from within the Notification Center without opening apps.

When waking from sleep, the Notification Center will also display all alerts received on the login screen, and as with iOS 7, apps will automatically update in the background and send a notification when an update is complete. Do Not Disturb mode, an iOS feature, has been added to block notifications during scheduled times.
No idea about gestures, if those don't work fine for you, maybe use some hot corners instead.

Around 20mins left for me.

Quidam

Is anyone else downloading it from the App Store and it says 'downloading' on the Mavericks page but there's no progress bar or anything else to indicate it actually is downloading.

dc89

I persevered and restarted it. Been out to put petrol in the car and came back to this!

rW2xo1T.png

Guess Who

Banned
Immediately after updating you may notice worse performance. This is Spotlight reindexing your drive. Wait for that to finish before judging performance or battery life.

Deku Tree

OMG. I paused my ultra slow download. And then I resumed it 30 seconds later. And not it says 24 minutes instead of 13 hours. Yay!

Dany

Banned
That's not good to hear, how long have you been using Mavericks?

Since the first developer preview. It is not buggy at all anymore. I don't recall how it faired between each dev update but between Mountain Lion and Mavericks I get an hour or so less.

Guinness

Neo Member
Already asked in the other topic but I don't know if my 2008 MacBook Unibody will handle Mavericks properly.

Somebody tried with some recent developer preview or even the final release ?

Vashetti

Banned
Err, got to 2GB and then it said it failed and I had to start over.

Didn't even resume from the 2GB I already downloaded. Such bullshit.

so1337

I'm not sure what you mean. You can disable notifications for any app entirely in notifications settings.
I remember constantly getting bombarded with update notifications from the app store and subsequently killing the notification center dead via Terminal.
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/os-x/

No idea about gestures, if those don't work fine for you, maybe use some hot corners instead.
I'm using BetterTouchTool which has fully customizable gestures. I was just hoping Apple would see the error of their ways so I wouldn't have to rely on a third party app which may or may not be supported in the future.

Quidam

you could also try under updates there should be a new tab for mavericks

Thanks to both you and Incitemaybe for the help, but this doesn't seem to be there for me either. That said, my internet is slow right now so I think something is downloading.

Servbot24

Banned
Installing now but I just realized this will probably log me out of everything and I don't have all my old emails and passwords :(

Wiz

Going to update once I get home..this is my
first time updating my Macbook, anything I need to know? Should I be worried about losing any settings/files?

Number45

first time updating my Macbook, anything I need to know? Should I be worried about losing any settings/files?
First time here as well, although I rebuilt recently so didn't have a lot to lose. All looks intact at the moment.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't upgrade on my Mac mini yet because CrashPlan's restore feature currently does not work right for me. I can't restore any backed up files. I sent a support request. Hopefully they have a new version in the works.

Wouldn't be a problem if they let me restore files on their website like DropBox.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It says 4 more minutes left for the install but I don't think real time and Apple time are the same thing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As with any OS update. You should back up all you files.

dalVlatko

"Under a minute remaining" sure took a long time.

Chrome scrolling feels bad now. Momentum doesn't seem to kick in until I'm at the bottom of my track pad.

Top Bottom