• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Anth1888

Just in case you are wondering since this was pissing me off to no end.

To remove the recently added bar in iTunes 12:

View -> Show Options -> Uncheck Show Recently Added

Yeah that was pissing me off as well. However I can't get the old side menu from previous iTunes maybe Apple finally killed it, don't like all the blank space to the right of the artist list.

Vire

That works fast for me and I don't have a fast mac (just a MBA).

I think I figured out the issue, I unchecked "preload top hit in background" under the search category and it's working normally now.

Thanks though!
Have they removed the button to convert the itunes window to miniplayer again, or is it just me?

Why Apple?? The extra button on the right hand top corner was fine. Bravo.

The button is now shown for some reason when you highlight the album art in the play bar.

jts

...hate me...
Ok how do you get Hand over to work, I'm running a Late-2012 Mac Mini and iP6 and I'm getting noting, bluetooth is on on both devices??
You also have to enable Handoff on the iOS device in settings, under general, and perhaps on the Mac too, although I can't tell you for sure since my Mac doesn't support Handoff.

I think I figured out the issue, I unchecked "preload top hit in background" under the search category and it's working normally now.

Thanks though!

The button is now shown for some reason when you highlight the album art in the play bar.

I just found it! Reverting from mini to full view is clunky as hell though.

mil6es

You also have to enable Handoff on the iOS device in settings, under general, and perhaps on the Mac too, although I can't tell you for sure since my Mac doesn't support Handoff.

I've enabled hand off on both devices but still no luck

Vashetti

Banned
is chrome still better than the new safari?

Chrome Beta (and soon to be Chrome 'stable') on Mac is now 64-bit, which will likely lead to much better performance.

Chrome is great and fast, but it makes my Mac super hot with just a few tabs open and drains the battery horribly.

Safari in Yosemite feels much more comparable and doesn't make my Mac anywhere near as hot.

Pastry

Banned
Chrome Beta (and soon to be Chrome 'stable') on Mac is now 64-bit, which will likely lead to much better performance.

Chrome is great and fast, but it makes my Mac super hot with just a few tabs open and drains the battery horribly.

Safari in Yosemite feels much more comparable and doesn't make my Mac anywhere near as hot.

Really? I've been having a lot of trouble with Safari so far. Much slower than Chrome for me.

Vire

Really? I've been having a lot of trouble with Safari so far. Much slower than Chrome for me.

Safari is slower when there is no cached data, but if it's a site you frequently visit, I found it to be almost instantaneous and much faster than Chrome.

If you connection is fast, (50mbps+) I suggest changing this value in terminal.

Safari uses a technique to decrease loading times by pausing for 1 second before displaying content so far recieved. When information is first downloaded from a website, Safari uses this time to commit maximum resources to rendering the HTML code before displaying on screen. It is possible to adjust this timer to force Safari to display a page earlier.

Open terminal and enter:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25

The default is 1 second, you are changing it to .25 because your connection is badass enough to handle it essentially.

MoodyFog

It isn't clear to me how I enable phone calls on my laptop--where should I be looking?

On the mac : launch FaceTime and go in the preferences > check "cellular calls on iphone" or something like that

On the phone : settings > facetime > "cellular calls on iphone"

Flo_Evans

Safari is slower when there is no cached data, but if it's a site you frequently visit, I found it to be almost instantaneous and much faster than Chrome.

If you connection is fast, (50mbps+) I suggest changing this value in terminal.

The default is 1 second, you are changing it to .25 because your connection is badass enough to handle it essentially.

thanks!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How much space do I need on a flash drive to do a clean install?

amm

I really like how the UI looks. I got used to it pretty quickly. Seems snappy too. I'm on an upgraded 2008-2009? Macbook.

wmlk

A lot of these features are iOS x OSX. I have Android and a newer MBA, so I dunno if this is for me.

It really doesn't offer much for people who have a Mac as their only Apple device.

Vire

Just a heads up for you Sports fans out there. You can download the Yahoo Sports widget from the App store and get scores in your Notification Center.

dgjD9pk.png

mnannola

A lot of these features are iOS x OSX. I have Android and a newer MBA, so I dunno if this is for me.

It really doesn't offer much for people who have a Mac as their only Apple device.

I am in the same boat. Would be nice to see a list of improvements that do not involve iOS.

Biggest things I don't like is that the + icon in Safari which let me instantly add things to Reading List/Bookmarks is gone. Now I have to go through the Share icon.

And there seems to be no way to make the search/URL bar longer. I'd like it to extend across three quarters of the screen, like Chrome does.

Vire

Biggest things I don't like is that the + icon in Safari which let me instantly add things to Reading List/Bookmarks is gone. Now I have to go through the Share icon.

And there seems to be no way to make the search/URL bar longer. I'd like it to extend across three quarters of the screen, like Chrome does.

The plus bar is still there it just hides itself, put your cursor on the edge of the left side of the address bar and it'll appear.

Vire

How do you make a toolbar for all the bookmarks to be under the address bar on Safari? I don't like having it on the left

Right click, Customize toolbar -> drag the favorites bar icon wherever you want - > click it to enable.

You can get rid of the icon after you enable it by going back into customize toolbar and dragging it offscreen.

Nivert

Is there a problem with youtube in Safari? Every time it first loads a video and when I close the tab afterwards it will freeze the entire OS for about 5 seconds but the video still plays perfectly fine during it.

Doesn't happen on Chrome and I don't think it's an extension issue since I turned it off to test and it still happened.

I'm using last years rMBP.

Edit: found other people with the same issue so might just have to wait for an update

Odds of tweetbot getting updated with handoff support? Would it even need it with icloud syncing? Scratch that update tweetbot for Yosemite?

Ok how do you get Hand over to work, I'm running a Late-2012 Mac Mini and iP6 and I'm getting noting, bluetooth is on on both devices??

Bluetooth on on all devices, signed into the same iCloud on all devices, and must be connected to the same wifi network. Your Mac must support Bluetooth LE. I found to get it to work properly on my MacBook that I had to AirDrop a file from my phone to my Mac.

wmlk

Just a heads up for you Sports fans out there. You can download the Yahoo Sports widget from the App store and get scores in your Notification Center.

dgjD9pk.png

I saw Miami and those two matchups and got hyped, and then I realized...

Add to Reading List = CMD + Shift + D

Was always faster than clicking the icon

Right click, Customize toolbar -> drag the favorites bar icon wherever you want - > click it to enable.

You can get rid of the icon after you enable it by going back into customize toolbar and dragging it offscreen.

<3

Also still haven't figured out to change the iMessage text tone on the computer. I go into Sound and find nothing that helps.

dgjD9pk.png

Not available in Canada ayyy

Vire

I saw Miami and those two matchups and got hyped, and then I realized...

Yeah.. it hasn't exactly been a great start to the pre-season this year for us. Oh well, at least the tickets will be a lot cheaper for me now. :p
<3

Also still haven't figured out to change the iMessage text tone on the computer. I go into Sound and find nothing that helps.

Go to Preferences within iMessage -> General -> Message Received Tone.

At least I think that's what you are asking for

wmlk

Yeah.. it hasn't exactly been a great start to the pre-season this year for us. Oh well, at least the tickets will be a lot cheaper for me now. :p

Hopefully it stays that way. I wanna see the AAA filled up for once with people who actually care.

Arcteryx

Did you try adding in some of those resizable spots to the toolbar? I don't know if those will modify the url bar itself, but they can be used to reposition it(I stacked a couple on one side so I could get the url bar to end up totally on the right edge).

kuppy

Did a clean install, quite happy with the result.

But it also reminded me that I could partially never adjust to some of the standard settings. I’m open to get out of my comfort zone, but I’m not really sure if I actually should.
Cmd tab for application switching is a weird one for example. I previously had that switched in functionality with ctrl tab, because my thumb is otherwise constantly switching between cmd and ctrl, it breaks the flow for me. Did you just adjust to it or also use a way around? While I'm at it, does natural scrolling actually feel natural to you?

Also some other questions.
I like to arrange windows with a precise position and dimension. From time to time though it happens that I miss a click and have to reorganise. Anybody knows an app for that?
I can't select a default folder in Notes, can I? Would be nice to have the app start in a certain folder.

Some Safari stuff.
Cookie management? My previous choice seemed quite outdated when I first went with it, any recommendations? Would like to favourite certain sites, so that I can choose to delete all cookies that aren’t favs.
YouTube Me Again! Well, GAF is way better with it, previously used NinjaKit to make it work, you do so too?
YouTube? YouTube Centre sadly has been broken for a while now, unless I’m doing something totally wrong.

Oh and I can't get my iPhone paired up via Bluetooth which is a bummer.

Besides that. Yeah, looking good, like it a lot so far.

think

Neo Member
Did a clean install, quite happy with the result.

But it also reminded me that I could partially never adjust to some of the standard settings. I&#8217;m open to get out of my comfort zone, but I&#8217;m not really sure if I actually should.
Cmd tab for application switching is a weird one for example. I previously had that switched in functionality with ctrl tab, because my thumb is otherwise constantly switching between cmd and ctrl, it breaks the flow for me. Did you just adjust to it or also use a way around? While I'm at it, does natural scrolling actually feel natural to you?

Try changing your Caps Lock key to Control (in Keyboard preferences -> Modifier Keys...). Then use your thumb for Command and pinky for Control. This gives you a second option for Control, which leaves your thumb on Command more frequently.

Natural scrolling feels very good if you accept the metaphor that the track pad is a remote touch interface for your screen, whose gestures and behavior mimic iPad. Many of the gestures between the platforms are the same, so Apple definitely thinks of it this way.

Also some other questions.
I like to arrange windows with a precise position and dimension. From time to time though it happens that I miss a click and have to reorganise. Anybody knows an app for that?

Try BetterTouchTool (free), BetterSnapTool (App Store, same developer), or Divvy (App Store) for some window snapping and positioning features.

Arcteryx

Still sad to see that they haven't fixed individual folder preferences. Can't believe it's 2014 and you can't natively set Folder A to sort by X, while everything else sorts by Y. Every time I try and set this up...it just defaults EVERYTHING to the most recent change. Even going into Automator and setting up a specific sort for a specific folder doesn't work...

Annoying that I've still got to use a Finder replacement with Yosemite :/

-Horizon-

So far, I still really like it. I don't think I want to get an iPad air 2 to do the whole switch off thing though. iOS 8, not feeling it.

Top Bottom