• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

kuppy

Try changing your Caps Lock key to Control (in Keyboard preferences -> Modifier Keys...). Then use your thumb for Command and pinky for Control. I never use the actual Control key anymore.

Natural scrolling feels very good if you accept the metaphor that the track pad is a remote touch interface for your screen, whose gestures and behavior mimic iPad. Many of the gestures between the platforms are the same, so Apple definitely thinks of it this way.

Try BetterTouchTool (free), BetterSnapTool (App Store, same developer), or Divvy (App Store) for some window snapping and positioning features.
Thanks!
For whatever reason a couple of minutes ago I started not feeling so well, so I'll come back to it tomorrow and report how it went.

Handoff calls worked in the beta for me, but I have no idea how continuity is supposed to work. On a 2012 MacBook Air, and have a 2011 Mac Mini that's fairly loaded.

So I cant view thumbnail mode on Finder. Lists and all the other stuff works fine but when I click on the thumbnail icon in finder, nothing loads and it starts to get choppy and freezes up sometimes.

Anyone encounter this?

I finally have AirDrop, Handoff/Continuity all working. Really makes me appreciate the ecosystem Apple has built. I'm happy the browser handoff works from Safari on iPad/iPhone to Chrome on Mac. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way around but it's a sacrifice I can live with.

amm

Anyone know if this fixes the issue from Mavericks that adds a hidden file (i.e.) "_*.avi" to each file when storing on a flash drive?

Mobius 1

So I cant view thumbnail mode on Finder. Lists and all the other stuff works fine but when I click on the thumbnail icon in finder, nothing loads and it starts to get choppy and freezes up sometimes.

Anyone encounter this?

Yes. Happens here as well.

DOWN

Banned
With all the rad stuff Apple does like this seamless ecosystem, it's weird to me when people say they don't innovate or they are overpriced. Nobody has made a device ecosystem even in the same ballpark that syncs this smoothly to this degree. Just log into iCloud on everything and you're pretty much set for awesome syncing.

Like this totally makes up for them waiting 2 years to add NFC (which they also seem to be doing with a more complete concept than anyone else too) and other features. Dat iPad Mini 3 tho

Xun

Anyone have a list of software that's compatible with it?

I'm hoping CS3, Maya 2015 and TV Paint all work and then I'm good to go.

Anion

Biggest
and probably only
annoyance. It seems safari is missing the "reset" button that was super handy in...reseting it lol.

I hope they put it back so its just 2 simple clicks again.
Apple, y u do this :(

With all the rad stuff Apple does like this seamless ecosystem, it's weird to me when people say they don't innovate or they are overpriced. Nobody has made a device ecosystem even in the same ballpark that syncs this smoothly to this degree. Just log into iCloud on everything and you're pretty much set for awesome syncing.

Like this totally makes up for them waiting 2 years to add NFC (which they also seem to be doing with a more complete concept than anyone else too) and other features. Dat iPad Mini 3 tho

Not really. Apple Pay is cool, but NFC is totally locked down, so I don't really see how it's now more complete as a concept. The continuity stuff is definitely cool and a benefit of a vertically integrated ecosystem. The question is, how well does the software work? Apple have definitely shown a weakness lately to roll out polished software.

I feel like it's mostly useful if you own an iPhone. Having a Macbook Air and an iPad Air, I have no idea what I'm supposed to use Handoff for.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone have a list of software that's compatible with it?

I'm hoping CS3, Maya 2015 and TV Paint all work and then I'm good to go.
CS3 is a trooper. It has survived without needing to be reinstalled since I installed it years ago. Made it through maybe half a dozen major releases. It's a little buggy and ugly on Retina but it works.

i subscribed to macrumor's push notification on safari. I think i have a problem. I am a big fan of the bookmark popup not so much on ipad tho

ibu

I am having trouble playing HTML5 videos on Safari. Namely the GiantBomb website and also The Verge.

Am I doing something wrong?

giga

Handoff icons were showing up for me on my iPhone but not on my Mac dock. My dock is pinned to the left, so I tried pinning it to the bottom, and then it finally started to work. I pinned it back to the left and it continued to work. FYI for people having the same issue I had.

Vire

I am having trouble playing HTML5 videos on Safari. Namely the GiantBomb website and also The Verge.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hmm, strange. I dunno, but I am able to use both sites without issue.

Do you have some sort of Ad-Blocker on?

Alright real talk.

Is anyone else finding the computer sounds awful as a speakerphone? People are complaining they can barely hear me and that it's breaking up. Or that there's a lot of background noise despite there being no background noise. and yes ambient noise reduction is on. I tested it off just for the hell of it.

I'm sure it probably sounds okay if I hook up my Yeti microphone, but I was hoping to avoid that level of drama.

giga

Also, in addition to the Dock, Handoff icons will show up on the app switcher.

PdkYI8o.png

Sidenote: Grab's icon needs updating.

RoKKeR

So just upgraded, god damn this is a smooth OS. Was playing around and got a phone call from a friend... of course everything was already automatically synched up so it was so damn cool to answer that phone call on the computer!

Will have to keep playing around. How do you text a non-iPhone user?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also, in addition to the Dock, Handoff icons will show up on the app switcher.

PdkYI8o.png

Sidenote: Grab's icon needs updating.
Grab is a remnant of the olden days. It's only purpose now is timed screenshots. Other than that there's no need for it. Still surprising it hasn't been removed and the timed feature built-in yet.

Wiz

Preparing to do a clean install. When restoring from time machine is it better to do it after you finish configuring Yosemite or before (in the disk utility screen).

Shun

This is really annoying. I keep getting "os x could not be installed file system verify or repair failed" while installing...

On my iPad right now and I never had issues updating to Lions/MLions/Mavericks. I'm running an early 2011 13" MBP...

Jesus fucking christ, Yosemite fucked me over.

After a full 24 hours, I finally got my fucking MacBook Pro and Yosemite up and running.

Hard Drive failure my fucking ass, Yosemite. I had to go and zero out my SSD and reinstall the OS and all my apps because of Yosemite's fuck up.

If anyone had this problem, your drive probably isn't dead. It's probably some dead sector or fragmentation, just back up your shit and wipe your drive.

I'm gonna go invest myself in a god damn 3TB drive or something. I got a 750GB SSD for the sole reason of not having anymore Hard Drive failures as I've been unlucky and have had drives die on me annually.

Had to freaking CCC and salvage as much as I could. Luckily all my school work and important documents are intact, but I nearly all my movies and a lot of my RAW and processed photos. My Music is mostly intact and I'm gonna go use Senuti to restore some of it back. Now I'm in the process of reinstalling all my software.

TL;DR, lesson learned get a fucking hard drive and Time Machine religiously. You never know when new OS updates want to fuck you over.

A lot of my extensions don't work for Safari 8 and OS X Yosemite anymore. :[

Jesus fucking christ, Yosemite fucked me over.

After a full 24 hours, I finally got my fucking MacBook Pro and Yosemite up and running.

Hard Drive failure my fucking ass, Yosemite. I had to go and zero out my SSD and reinstall the OS and all my apps because of Yosemite's fuck up.

If anyone had this problem, your drive probably isn't dead. It's probably some dead sector or fragmentation, just back up your shit and wipe your drive.

I'm gonna go invest myself in a god damn 3TB drive or something. I got a 750GB SSD for the sole reason of not having anymore Hard Drive failures as I've been unlucky and have had drives die on me annually.

Had to freaking CCC and salvage as much as I could. Luckily all my school work and important documents are intact, but I nearly all my movies and a lot of my RAW and processed photos. My Music is mostly intact and I'm gonna go use Senuti to restore some of it back. Now I'm in the process of reinstalling all my software.

TL;DR, lesson learned get a fucking hard drive and Time Machine religiously. You never know when new OS updates want to fuck you over.

A lot of my extensions don't work for Safari 8 and OS X Yosemite anymore. :[
This happened to my brother. Fucking sucks.

Anyone know if FileVault has a noticeable hit on a regular HDD?

I noticed it takes 10-15 seconds after booting up from a restart to login after the encryption occurred, but it seems like it runs fine after that.

aza

Alright real talk.

Is anyone else finding the computer sounds awful as a speakerphone? People are complaining they can barely hear me and that it's breaking up. Or that there's a lot of background noise despite there being no background noise. and yes ambient noise reduction is on. I tested it off just for the hell of it.

I'm sure it probably sounds okay if I hook up my Yeti microphone, but I was hoping to avoid that level of drama.

I'm having the same problem. Anyone know if there's a way to adjust the input level of the computer's speakerphone?

DOWN

Banned
Hmm. Now why do I still have feedback assistant? Can I just delete/uninstall it?

Also Safari is working way faster for me than in Beta.

Shun

Does anyone know how to reenable the fullscreen button on the top right? It was there in Mavericks and it looks like it's gone. The only way now is through the shortcut, but sometimes the shortcut doesn't work.

For those who use MPlayerX, scrubbing videos with 2 fingers isn't working atm. Is anyone else having the problem?

Talon

Does anyone know how to reenable the fullscreen button on the top right? It was there in Mavericks and it looks like it's gone. The only way now is through the shortcut, but sometimes the shortcut doesn't work.

For those who use MPlayerX, scrubbing videos with 2 fingers isn't working atm. Is anyone else having the problem?
The full screen button is the green button now.

If you hit Alt while clicking it, it uses the old "expand window" concept.

ramyeon

That button is gone now and is replaced by the old maximise button (The green one) which now performs that function.

Talon

I actually miss the little whimsical "poof" animation with the trash can. Oh, well.

It is hilarious that they chose to keep the outrageously silly "sparkling" animation with new applications.

Top Bottom