• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Sch1sm

Yosemite with dark mode + a dark wallpaper is absolutely exquisite. I really feel like I just got a brand new computer.

This is the wallpaper I'm using: https://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/3584/icebox_cluster.html

However, Safari has been super slow randomly. Its getting really frustrating.

Just tried this and wow. Definitely different, and while I'm still not sold on Yosemite because I suck when it come to changes in OS', the dark on dark is beautiful.

alatif113

Tried using the new safari and it lags for some reason. Anyone know if it spawns multiple processes per tab like chrome does? Anyways, switched back to chrome.

you clearly don't do any work on your iOS/Mac. Having all project files, pictures, textfiles, spreadsheets and templates in one folder is quite important. Having to hunt for resource files (all randomly named) and zipping up projects would be a nightmare between all different programs and locations.

How would you even organize a website's contents if all files would be in pre-determined "apple locations"?
Dog, this is why they added Tags to Finder. I think you're also misunderstanding. I like a file system. I don't like a Desktop that exists as part of it.

Iacobellis

Grab is a remnant of the olden days. It's only purpose now is timed screenshots. Other than that there's no need for it. Still surprising it hasn't been removed and the timed feature built-in yet.

Chess almost looks the same as it did when it debuted in OS X. Same goes for DVD Player.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

Talon

I have no idea what the safari problems y'all are referencing here are. Been using Yosemite Beta since September, and Safari's been incredibly smooth for me. There was a bug with the "back" motion with PB4 or 5, but it's been resolved since then.

Maybe you guys are running into RAM constraints? I only have 8, for comparison.

DOWN

Banned
So I guess I'll wait until I'm on my home Wi-Fi next week to check if my iPhone can do calls because right now it isn't working through the Mac. It's enabled but no sign of it and I signed out and back in already. I know I can't sync with iTunes over Wi-Fi on this network (maybe since it's large University security network and all) so I figure it just doesn't allow much Wi-Fi specific stuff.

Dark mode looks very pro to me though so yay Yosemite

Maximus.

Is there a setting or something that will stop Messages from lagging and sending me all these notifications of iMessages that I have already received on my iPhone? So annoying when I open my Mac and I get spammed with all these messages and sound effects from old messages.

Fliesen

Is there a setting or something that will stop Messages from lagging and sending me all these notifications of iMessages that I have already received on my iPhone? So annoying when I open my Mac and I get spammed with all these messages and sound effects from old messages.

i thought that if any of the devices you receive messages on can tell that you "read" those messages (having iMessage in focus on Mac OS, having the Messages app open on your iOS devices) your other devices won't make a sound.
unless you just let those messages on your phone just go to the lock screen (not acknowledging them in any way), i don't see why your macbook should give you alert sounds :/
If i have a longer conversation on the Mac, my iPhone and iPad don't make a sound - unlike facebook messenger which will buzz my iPad even though i'm in that active conversation on my iPhone.

Also, in addition to the Dock, Handoff icons will show up on the app switcher.

PdkYI8o.png

Sidenote: Grab's icon needs updating.

any point in using grab instead of cmd+shift+4?

Goldenhen

Ok how do you get Hand over to work, I'm running a Late-2012 Mac Mini and iP6 and I'm getting noting, bluetooth is on on both devices??

This is how I managed to get it working last night.

1. Turn on Wifi and Bluetooth (Doesn't need pairing at all)
2. Log out iCloud account on iPhone and Mac.
3. Restart your router.
4. Log in iCloud account on iPhone and Mac.

Maximus.

i thought that if any of the devices you receive messages on can tell that you "read" those messages (having iMessage in focus on Mac OS, having the Messages app open on your iOS devices) your other devices won't make a sound.
unless you just let those messages on your phone just go to the lock screen (not acknowledging them in any way), i don't see why your macbook should give you alert sounds :/
If i have a longer conversation on the Mac, my iPhone and iPad don't make a sound - unlike facebook messenger which will buzz my iPad even though i'm in that active conversation on my iPhone.

Yes exactly and before the beta, my Mac was all good. Once I installed the beta, Messages would lag and catch up, while giving me notifications for some missed messages that I already read on my phone. Really random issue.

rude

Banned
ok this spotlight shit is ugly af. what was wrong with the old one? everything else is aesthetically appealing though.

HUELEN10

So, anyone have a Safari add-on to force Flash video on YouTube? To hell with vids going fullscreen and taking up an extra space!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm behind the curve I know but that new finder icon is awful
Nah. It's one of the nicest new designs. I love it. It's even changed a lot since DP1.

Chess almost looks the same as it did when it debuted in OS X. Same goes for DVD Player.
Which are also really old remnants. Chess was from NeXTStep and DVD Player is slowly on its way out now that Apple has pretty much sent the DVD drive to live with its old friend the floppy at that farm upstate. They're both not long for this world. Especially DVD Player which has numerous alternatives on OS X. I remember when OS X came with that Comic Strip creation app. I had it on my HDD across upgrades and migrations for years. Not sure when I finally deleted it.

I actually miss the little whimsical "poof" animation with the trash can. Oh, well.

It is hilarious that they chose to keep the outrageously silly "sparkling" animation with new applications.
Yeah, the lost poof is understandable though, but the sparkly makes no sense given that the iOS way of doing it is a simple blue dot. I'd bet they'll remember it's there by 10.11.

Timed screenshots. It;s very hard to capture the Command+Tab popup with the normal screenshot keys. So Grab or an external program is still required for this. They need to implement this into the OS and dump Grab. Maybe Command+Shift+5 or something not already taken.

So, anyone have a Safari add-on to force Flash video on YouTube? To hell with vids going fullscreen and taking up an extra space!
Hell no! That's the best feature! And guess what? Some Flash players also use Fullscreen Space for playing. I hate how inconsistent it is on all browsers and video players. I want all my videos to take Fullscreen Space when I use them so I can A) move the video to another screen and B) continue using my browser while it's playing. How anyone can hate these two features of it is beyond me.

HUELEN10

Hell no! That's the best feature! And guess what? Some Flash players also use Fullscreen Space for playing. I hate how inconsistent it is on all browsers and video players. I want all my videos to take Fullscreen Space when I use them so I can A) move the video to another screen and B) continue using my browser while it's playing. How anyone can hate these two features of it is beyond me.
Easy: it limits options.

The fullscreen space for youtube vids now in Safari takes an animation to go into and out of, and that isn't seamless. Furthermore, by using fullscreen windows of vids and them making them fullscreen, I already CAN get a video playing in its own space.

This implementation does one thing less than the old one, and does it slower. How could anyone support it?

Fliesen

Timed screenshots. It;s very hard to capture the Command+Tab popup with the normal screenshot keys. So Grab or an external program is still required for this. They need to implement this into the OS and dump Grab. Maybe Command+Shift+5 or something not already taken.

interesting, never needed to do that. the more you know.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Tried using the new safari and it lags for some reason. Anyone know if it spawns multiple processes per tab like chrome does? Anyways, switched back to chrome.

I'm on a 2009 macbook pro. Safari is fast as fuck.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Easy: it limits options.

The fullscreen space for youtube vids now in Safari takes an animation to go into and out of, and that isn't seamless. Furthermore, by using fullscreen windows of vids and them making them fullscreen, I already CAN get a video playing in its own space.

This implementation does one thing less than the old one, and does it slower. How could anyone support it?
It's a few extra seconds. Not a big deal. And it works out so much better in the end. Especially for people who don't know you can drag a tab into its own window. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I mean they could put in an option maybe. The best you can do is send feedback. (The app should still be there. Use it to bug them for an option.)

I can't believe anyone would want to willingly use Flash.

HUELEN10

I can't believe anyone would want to willingly use Flash.
If it allows for faster control over how I control my content, I don't care what I'm using. The old way was faster, and it was less limiting; you yourself said it is slower.

So... Anyone have an extension to make this back like it used to be?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
How do you guys deal with sites that still uses Flash ? I'm talking about sites like Google Finance where, apparently, the stock graph uses flash. CNN seems to also use flash for their videos. Ughhh !

xsarien

daedsiluap
How do you guys deal with sites that still uses Flash ? I'm talking about sites like Google Finance where, apparently, the stock graph uses flash. CNN seems to also use flash for their videos. Ughhh !

Find alternatives or just let it run? Flash *is* dying. It's just gonna take awhile because the tech got so embedded.

Anyway: Safari is massively, massively improved in Yosemite. Like, I just begrudgingly used it on my Mac because I liked the tab syncing between devices, but for the first time in awhile I may actually not mind using it. Faster, better UI, etc.

Still on the fence about Dark Mode.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I let Safari do its thing. It knows to not waste cycles on the ads and will load stuff it knows is main content. Sadly the internet isn't at the point where everything is HTML5. Even sites that have HTML5 versions for iOS and mobile devices will still freak out and stop working on a desktop computer even with a different User Agent.

Best you can do is deal with it. Eventually, maybe in 10 years, we'll have left Flash far behind for video.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Yeah I'm surprised that sites from Google still uses flash. It's an old technology that is being phased out. I thought Google would be ahead of the curve on this kind of things since, well, they're Google. Sites like CNN and TSN (Canadian version of ESPN) still seems to use flash as well. Flash can't die fast enough. I know in my previous Macbook Pro, I installed Flash and it is very taxing on the laptop as it always made it go really hot. After 6 years of use, I've finally decided to get a new Macbook Pro and I will not be installing flash this time.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Yeah I'm surprised that sites from Google still uses flash. It's an old technology that is being phased out. I thought Google would be ahead of the curve on this kind of things since, well, they're Google. Sites like CNN and TSN (Canadian version of ESPN) still seems to use flash as well. Flash can't die fast enough.

Especially with video, there's just a lot - a lot - of institutional tech that relies on the video being played back in Flash. Stuff like analytics, ad systems, etc. The HTML5 side is catching up - and fast - and more and more it's just the cost and time of moving people and companies to this brave new world. :) I'm personally hoping within the next two years, tops, its use for video will be done; my job will suddenly be a lot less stressful.

Killing the tech all together may be a tough thing to do. Dragging people away from it for video is comparatively easy compared to telling people who write games or interactive experiences that they need to kick AS to the curb and learn a mash of HTML5, CSS, and Javascript. I haven't looked at the available tools for things like that *recently*, but the last time I checked they were still firmly "early." Maybe (hopefully!) that's changed.

ibu

Hmm, strange. I dunno, but I am able to use both sites without issue.

Do you have some sort of Ad-Blocker on?

No Ad-Blocker. I had the Safari pop-up blocker on, but that was it. Turned it off, rebooted. To no avail.

Must I download flash?

cjp

So they still haven't fixed the Notification Centre bug that causes the widgets to change their order? Calculator keeps getting put back to the top. I reported this bug back in one of the earliest public betas.

Come on.

Oh and toolbar icons on Safari randomly lose their placement and get reset too.

It -should- be faster and smoother than Chrome and would be under normal circumstances. Generally, it's been far superior to Chrome on Mac for a while now; wish I could help with the issues you are encountering but I'm stumped.

Any reason to why I can't stretch my URL bar to fit the entire length?

XFDW69T.png

On an aesthetic level, I prefer the setting which has just the domain show up in the search bar - the full address is then revealed when you click on it. Much tidier when you have huge URLs that you're never going to type in.

Shun

2011 MBP

Cannot pair my laptop to the the 5s via Bluetooth.

You can do everything but hotspot and handoff. 2011 was gimped with a non 4.0 Bluetooth chip which is pretty lame but whatever.

I'm running an early 2011 and I'm fine as long as I have access to Phone Calls and SMS.

DOWN

Banned
Find alternatives or just let it run? Flash *is* dying. It's just gonna take awhile because the tech got so embedded.

Anyway: Safari is massively, massively improved in Yosemite. Like, I just begrudgingly used it on my Mac because I liked the tab syncing between devices, but for the first time in awhile I may actually not mind using it. Faster, better UI, etc.

Still on the fence about Dark Mode.

Yeah I used to be slightly tempted by everyone raving about chrome but I love Apple's syncing stuff and now Safari is so snappy I am okay settling in with it. Chrome just never felt that great to me on Mac.

Dark Mode reminds me of Aperture and gives a neater contrast. Will probably stick with it.

MicH

I want to switch to Safari, but I really need something like Magic Actions for YouTube that I have forvChrome. It seems it's not available in Safari. Any other extensions lije that for Safari?

I keep getting the iTunes update again and again, did anyone know how I can fix it?

I try to update and never finish and then shows the update notification in the AppStore.

Ambitious

safariqyc4g.png

Why is one of them in a different color, and why do neither display the GAF favicon like Mobile Safari does just fine? (The favicons for sites other than GAF are there in both browsers)

Actually, below in the Frequently Visited section, it does actually display the GAF favicon.

edit: I had created the bookmarks on my phone, so they were linking to Mobile GAF. I replaced them with Desktop GAF, and now everything is fine on both devices.

edit 2: Destiny players, could one of you please visit bungie.net in Safari and see if you have the same issue as me?

bungie.netb4qc8.png

DOWN

Banned
edit 2: Destiny players, could one of you please visit bungie.net in Safari and see if you have the same issue as me?

bungie.netb4qc8.png

Same issue here. Thank goodness I don't use the site often but also damn bungie for how quick Destiny stopped drawing me to the site often

Top Bottom