• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Jacobi

Banned
Assuming you have a trackpad, why not use the gestures? CTRL + [ is also back in Safari (and other OS X apps).

Not sure why you feel backspace should be back, just because it has the word back in it. It's a backspace key.

Because every browser does it. If you could map it to ONE key I'd be satisfied.

I have the two-finger-swipe, but it takes longer and only works well with the trackpad (and not with the magic mouse).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well it's official - my rMBP's battery life has been cut by like 30-40%. Ugh.

giga

I have the two-finger-swipe, but it takes longer and only works well with the trackpad (and not with the magic mouse).

I prefer CMD + [ to backspace because when I'm in a text input box (like I am right now), I can still go back using the shortcut, when I wouldn't be able to if it was backspace.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Anyone know of a way to turn off phone relay or at least find the ringtone/mute options? It can get a bit annoying to have all my devices ringing at the same time.

Fliesen

I was transfering files to iCloud Drive and didn't want to mess with the settings.

I tried now just unchecking Notes in the iCloud settings, rebooted and the Notes were checked again (by itself) and now there is no duplicate Notes. So, a bit weird, but it works now.

Apple.
It's a bit weird, but eventually
it just works!

h3ro

9Kr50Iq.jpg

Anyone else not getting this effect across the top of the folders/display bar?

I have the transparency/vibrancy on the left side menu but not across the top. I'm on a Mid 2013 Macbook Air with 8GB ram and have never had any issues in the past.

GWX

9Kr50Iq.jpg

I have the transparency/vibrancy on the left side menu but not across the top. I'm on a Mid 2013 Macbook Air with 8GB ram and have never had any issues in the past.

I don't get it in Finder either. Weird.

My media keys (Previous track, play/pause, next track) aren't working when using iTunes. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: They do work with VLC, though.

Revoh

I have a Late 2013 Macbook Pro and an iPhone 5s. I can't get Handoff to work. Both of my devices have Bluetooth turned on, they are connected to the same WiFi network and they are both logged on to my iCloud account.
Btw, I don't know if Bluetooth has to be turned on and it will work automatically or if I need to pair the Mac with the iPhone to work, when I try to pair the devices I receive an error.
BgASvH4.png

If I maximize the window (double click the title bar or option click the green button), i do get the transparency effect. If i manually make the window smaller, the effect goes away.

Talon

NOOOOOOOO! I probably could just get used to it with time but the translucent part really looks cheap. I turned it off and feels a bit better but the whole OS feels much more heavy and sluggish than Mavericks, I'll wait until they get it together or even until the next OSX release.

It doesn't feel faster for me, at all. And I did a clean install. The fans are super loud now and everything just feels a bit more slower/heavier
These kinds of comments need context - what kind of machine are you using? How old is it?

I'm running a MBA from last year, and it's still lightning quick.
Is there a Yosemite guide available anywhere? Aside from the cosmetic changes I feel like there's a lot I'm missing out on.
If only John Siracusa wrote an extremely massive review of each version of Mac OS X going through each new feature every single year.

Number45

Those browsers carry it over from Windows.

Looks like you might be able to set it to be back if you do some Googling.

giga

I have a Late 2013 Macbook Pro and an iPhone 5s. I can't get Handoff to work. Both of my devices have Bluetooth turned on, they are connected to the same WiFi network and they are both logged on to my iCloud account.
Btw, I don't know if Bluetooth has to be turned on and it will work automatically or if I need to pair the Mac with the iPhone to work, when I try to pair the devices I receive an error.
BgASvH4.png
Try this, on both your Mac and iPhone, and then restart both devices: http://www.imore.com/cant-get-continuity-calling-or-handoff-working-heres-fix

zigg

Anyone know of a way to turn off phone relay or at least find the ringtone/mute options? It can get a bit annoying to have all my devices ringing at the same time.
If you want to turn off phone relay, the switch is at Settings → FaceTime → iPhone Cellular Calls on your iPhone, or FaceTime → Preferences → iPhone Cellular Calls on your Mac.

Miker

Well it's official - my rMBP's battery life has been cut by like 30-40%. Ugh.

Mine also seems to be worse, but that's purely going off of the estimated battery time in the menu bar. I haven't actually gone through a full battery charge since I've upgraded.

Anth1888

9Kr50Iq.jpg

Maybe Apple toned down the transparency effect on official release? This could have been from the beta.

Guess Who

Banned
9Kr50Iq.jpg

My 2012 Air has it but it's much more subtle than that.

Ryck

I want to upgrade but I'm afraid some of my applications won't work. Is there any way to test that? Is this mostly a cosmetic upgrade?

I lost some apps going from M.lion to Mavericks.

Shun

Holy shit, it might just be cause I had to reformat my drive and install everything clean but god damn my MacBook Pro is a booting faster and loading everything faster than on Mavericks.

Despite the horrible time getting it to initially work, everything is great and amazing.

I can't wait for SMS and I hope we get more features in the future that allow us to do this stuff via lightning cable rather than bluetooth for us with older Macs.

I want to upgrade but I'm afraid some of my applications won't work. Is there any way to test that? Is this mostly a cosmetic upgrade?

I lost some apps going from M.lion to Mavericks.

For the most part mine do work 100% with the exception of a couple Safari extensions. The only issue I had was MPlayerX where scrubbing a video to fast-forward or rewind isn't working quite as smoothly as before.

What kind of apps are you worried about, we can test them for you.

Man I'm trying to clean install Yosemite on a 2009 MBP via thumbdrive and it's been sitting on the apple logo with the progress bar barely moving for the last hour. It *is* moving; but at this pace it might be 6 hours before it finishes. Maybe longer.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Upgraded this morning. I like the small graphical updates, makes the OS feel more modern. My daily use functionality seems to be untouched from Mavericks though.

Is there anyway to use google search in spotlight instead of bing?

It's pretty shitty that they're forcing users to use Bing in spotlight instead of giving them the option to choose their own search engine. It's such a predictably apple "cutting off your own nose to spite your face" thing to do :/

Raine

9Kr50Iq.jpg

Important detail to notice here (not saying you didn't notice), but the transparency across the top is from the content inside finder – not the desktop. It's like Safari. So in this case, it's transparency is showing the thumbnails from the desktop pictures. If you simulate the picture there and click on a folder with thumbnail/icon view enabled, you'll likely get that effect too.

Shun

Anyone got SMS messaging to work? Won't for me. Other Handoff stuff works for me though.

Only Phone Calls work atm and you need to make it work via FaceTime settings.

SMS won't be available till the iOS 8.1 update on Monday.

Man I'm trying to clean install Yosemite on a 2009 MBP via thumbdrive and it's been sitting on the apple logo with the progress bar barely moving for the last hour. It *is* moving; but at this pace it might be 6 hours before it finishes. Maybe longer.

Yeah I never fucking understand this with Apple OS Updates.

The entire time I tried to install Yosemite, it would ALWAYS say Estimated Time: 18 minutes. 18 minute estimation every single time. It worried the shit out of me, but it also took like twice the amount of time as the estimate.

I installed via USB as well and for me it took ~38 minutes with an SSD.

Goldenhen

BgASvH4.png
I have the same laptop and iPhone as yours and I had the same problem until I log out my iCloud account on both machines. And relog in my iCloud account on both machines the hand off was working.

You don't need to do pairing at all as long as wifi and Bluetooth is on.

I think that MBP is USB 2.0?

I've no idea. But damn is it dog slow. I tried to look up how to just burn the installer to DVD...my eyes glazed over at the level of difficulty. I don't understand why they don't make some sort of app that allows you to burn these OS installs as needed to DVD or USB. 1 button solution, pls. I shouldn't have to go into Terminal to make a USB installer.

Bar hasn't moved for a long time now. I do hope it's not frozen. I'm not touching it, though. No way in the hell am I starting this process over. It's been going for at least 2 hours and is only around half way through the bar. I'm glad this isn't my Mac.

The entire time I tried to install Yosemite, it would ALWAYS say Estimated Time: 18 minutes. 18 minute estimation every single time. It worried the shit out of me, but it also took like twice the amount of time as the estimate.

I installed via USB as well and for me it took ~38 minutes with an SSD.
Yea I had the same experience on my SSD. I didn't install via USB, though. I just upgraded, so this whole Apple logo shit just didn't happen.

idk. I'm just glad MY computer is up so I can do my shit.

On a side note, my desktop framerate issues seem largely sorted out. May have been spotlight indexing or something, but it's been much smoother today. Just about all of the same apps open.

Konka

Banned
Question: So I'm loving Safari but I was wondering if there was a way to change this. Every time I search for something in the address bar the favorites/recent sites box shows up and won't go away until I click somewhere on the page.

Foshy

I just updated.

Hmm. I need some time to get used to the new design. I kinda like it, but it's a bit weird.

Arcteryx

Important detail to notice here (not saying you didn't notice), but the transparency across the top is from the content inside finder – not the desktop. It's like Safari. So in this case, it's transparency is showing the thumbnails from the desktop pictures. If you simulate the picture there and click on a folder with thumbnail/icon view enabled, you'll likely get that effect too.

Dafuq? You're right. It's REALLY subtle for me, to the point that I just never noticed it until now. Thought it was broken on my install or something.

Futureman

why does this always happen? Transferring some music from iTunes 12.0 (Yosemite... still on one of the betas but pretty sure this happened for me in 10.9 as well) to an iPhone 5C w/ iOS 8.

I get this and the files don't actually transfer?

uhhhh.png

edit: ok... I just clicked "Sync" but why do I have to do that? My method is dragging albums from my iTunes library into the iPhone tab. The songs transfer but some get that "dotted circle" thing and others don't.

edit x2: Ok... after sync finished there are still songs with the dotted circle that don't transfer. UGH.

Personally, my clean install of Yosemite on my 13" 2013 rMBP has been the stablest OS X release I have ever experienced.

There's been a tiny amount of graphical slowdown during OS animations, but I would attribute that to unoptimization at this point and time, which happens with every OS X release, and I'm sure it'll go away in one of the early point releases.

Futureman

I've been using the beta... I just installed Beta 6 and then clicked on the "Yosemite" banner on the main tab of the App Store and it says I already have 10.10 installed. So I'm good? How do I check if I'm still on the beta?

also how do I disable Image Capture from popping up when I plug in my phone or camera's memory card?

Ew. Sounds like the installer on the thumb drive might be bad.

Top Bottom