• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

This is what it looks like.

Again, it's subtle, but it's there. I find it easiest to see in Messages in long chains.
4qqZy11.png

damn it, you're gonna make me restart to test. brb...

Talon

I realize my post sounds confusing considering the screenshot is of the Finder.

Only reason I didn't use a screenshot of Messages is 'cause I'm too damn lazy to blur out names.

well i'll be damned. it is there in Finder. it's really only obvious when those bright-ass blue folders (or other bright colors) scroll past the bar.

iNOtE0S.png

Working in Safari too. Man i swear it wasn't before....

FBoZOVi.png

oh well. cheers.

also, this 2009 MBP is *still* not installing this shit. tried 2 different USB drives, and 1 external USB HDD. fuck man....it's been like...13 hours of trying.

Oh. I see, so it's not really dependent on the desktop/windows behind it?

nope, doesn't seem to be influenced by what's on the desktop or what your wallpaper is. just what's in the folder you have finder open in. Same with Safari. completely dependent on what's in the safari tab itself. I think that's where I was confused too. I thought it would be affected by my desktop background and it wasn't.

Sch1sm

Continuity refuses to work for me. Phone calls, hand off, etc. Any ideas?

Some more information would be great. Which Macbook, which iPhone, what you've tried and/or done in attempt to make it work. Handoff doesn't work if Safari is in private mode, just saying. I've got some prelim questions. Do you have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on for both devices? Are they connected to the same network? Also, is the same iCloud address being used on both devices? Have you tried pairing the phone with the laptop?
In regards to continuity: do you have iPhone cellular calls enabled on both? This feature just doesn't work for some people, honestly. It's a hit and miss.

Shun

Continuity refuses to work for me. Phone calls, hand off, etc. Any ideas?

You have to disable FaceTime once and reenable it to see Enable iPhone Cellular Calls on iPhone.

OS X is on by default. Sign into the same icloud account on both and calls will work fine via contacts.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Some more information would be great. Which Macbook, which iPhone, what you've tried and/or done in attempt to make it work. Handoff doesn't work if Safari is in private mode, just saying. I've got some prelim questions. Do you have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on for both devices? Are they connected to the same network? Also, is the same iCloud address being used on both devices? Have you tried pairing the phone with the laptop?
In regards to continuity: do you have iPhone cellular calls enabled on both? This feature just doesn't work for some people, honestly. It's a hit and miss.

I've hit a few moments where the communication between the two just drops to iPhone -> Mac. Everything's very BTLE compliant, same network, etc. The best I can figure is that whatever very low-level pairing is going on occasionally just times the hell out. (I blame iOS 8.0.x, mostly because it's easy.) BUT:

I did notice that calling usually remains intact, and quickly initiating a call from the Mac will kick it *all* back to life. Big fat shrug. I dunno. Hopefully a point release or two will stop it from happening.

speaking of continuity, is there a way to move a call from iPhone --> Mac speaker after the call has started? I know I can start a call from Contacts on my mac and be able to use the Mac as a speakerphone, but is there a way to start it on my phone and have the Mac see there's a call going?

Sch1sm

I've hit a few moments where the communication between the two just drops to iPhone -> Mac. Everything's very BTLE compliant, same network, etc. The best I can figure is that whatever very low-level pairing is going on occasionally just times the hell out. (I blame iOS 8.0.x, mostly because it's easy.) BUT:

I did notice that calling usually remains intact, and quickly initiating a call from the Mac will kick it *all* back to life. Big fat shrug. I dunno. Hopefully a point release or two will stop it from happening.

I feel like in theory this is all great, but it's going to take more than a few releases to cover all the problems between iOS 8.x and Yosemite. Maybe in future they'll throw up a notification that lets you know the connection has timed out. It's annoying how many factors play into making the devices work together with a still clear lack of fluidity.

Sch1sm

speaking of continuity, is there a way to move a call from iPhone --> Mac speaker after the call has started? I know I can start a call from Contacts on my mac and be able to use the Mac as a speakerphone, but is there a way to start it on my phone and have the Mac see there's a call going?

Nope.

survivor

Banned
Anyone using Homebrew installed Yosemite? Since Homebrew dumps all the packages to /usr/local and apparently Yosemite installer copies every file there, it can increase your waiting time a lot. Just curious to see how long it might have taken since the blog post mentioning the issue said he waited 8 hours.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Is there anyway to restore iMessages at all? I forgot about those during my clean install.

In addition, SMS messaging on Mac coming when 8.1 hits on iOS, right?

xsarien

daedsiluap
I feel like in theory this is all great, but it's going to take more than a few releases to cover all the problems between iOS 8.x and Yosemite. Maybe in future they'll throw up a notification that lets you know the connection has timed out. It's annoying how many factors play into making the devices work together with a still clear lack of fluidity.

Yeah, just happened now. MBP saw my activity on the iPhone, but not the other way around. I dialed out from Yosemite, that reset whatever makes all of this tech tick, and the iPhone sees my Yosemite activity again.

Don't get me wrong, even with this glitch I'm impressed with it all. It's something I've been wishing for since I got my first iPhone.

Koodo

Banned
Not sure if this has been officially stated by Apple, but I believe the phone being sub 20% charge completely clocks out continuity from working. This used to (and probably still is) the case with Photo Stream.

I've gotten continuity working now for both call forwarding and handoff. There was an instance when call forwarding didn't work and I am suspecting it was due to being in a part of my house with weak wi-fi signal. I agree that there should be a notification of sorts that alerts when the continuity feature will not be working well.

Also, I just realized I can start calls from the address book and screeched a bit.

Sch1sm

Is there anyway to restore iMessages at all? I forgot about those during my clean install.

In addition, SMS messaging on Mac coming when 8.1 hits on iOS, right?

Restoring them on a Mac? Do you have a time machine back up of ~/Library? You'll be able to find them in Messages folder from there.

Right! When 8.1 hits, the SMS messaging will return. :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Not sure if this has been officially stated by Apple, but I believe the phone being sub 20% charge completely clocks out continuity from working. This used to (and probably still is) the case with Photo Stream.

I've gotten continuity working now for both call forwarding and handoff. There was an instance when call forwarding didn't work and I am suspecting it was due to being a part in my house with a weak wi-fi signal. I agree that there should be a notification of sorts that alerts when the continuity feature will not be working well.

Also, I just realized I can start calls from the address book and screeched a bit.

Phone's well above 20%, so something else is making it eventually stop talking to my laptop. :/

Yeah, just happened now. MBP saw my activity on the iPhone, but not the other way around. I dialed out from Yosemite, that reset whatever makes all of this tech tick, and the iPhone sees my Yosemite activity again.

Don't get me wrong, even with this glitch I'm impressed with it all. It's something I've been wishing for since I got my first iPhone.

there were 3rd party apps that used to do this reasonably well, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eic4yEuYwyc

Sch1sm

No word at all about limits with battery life in the dozens of articles I've read since I got Yosemite.

xsarien

daedsiluap
there were 3rd party apps that used to do this reasonably well, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eic4yEuYwyc

I meant the full Continuity/Handoff experience, I hated that I could have my iPhone and laptop literally sitting side-by-side, but they'd only speak to each other via iTunes and iCloud syncing. I wasn't even thinking about calls on the desktop until Apple mentioned it (but then I got really excited.)

I have a question for Safari users: How do you guys manage tabs without favicons? Like, I'm looking at my Chrome window right now and I have maybe 20 tabs open and I know exactly what is what thanks to the favicons. In an instant I know what tab to click on to do whatever I want to do. But Chrome in Yosemite looks like

safari-tab-scrolling.gif

It just seems so much less functional. If Chrome looked like this, I'd have to guess what is what and I'd waste time clicking on multiple tabs. I used to use Glims, but I'm not sure if that's Yosemite compatible. Has Apple ever given a reason for never enabling Favicons by default in Chrome?

Talon

I have a question for Safari users: How do you guys manage tabs without favicons? Like, I'm looking at my Chrome window right now and I have maybe 20 tabs open and I know exactly what is what thanks to the favicons. In an instant I know what tab to click on to do whatever I want to do. But Chrome in Yosemite looks like

safari-tab-scrolling.gif

It just seems so much less functional. If Chrome looked like this, I'd have to guess what is what and I'd waste time clicking on multiple tabs. I used to use Glims, but I'm not sure if that's Yosemite compatible. Has Apple ever given a reason for never enabling Favicons by default in Chrome?

Pinch in with two fingers in Safari.

I hate favicons personally but can see how that'd be helpful for organization.

They need a quick switch shortcut for tabs at the least.

They have the zoom out pinch gesture I guesss that's their solution.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seems like it'd be the next logical step. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in iOS9/10.11 or a point update. Seems like a trivial feature to implement.

Curious, when you answer a call on your iPad, does it take over the screen? Or can you continue using the device as normal? I only tested it on my Mac.

I wish continuity with Messages worked better than what it did. As it stands is pretty useless. It'd be cool if it was like notes and it picked up where you left off in typing. Safari/Notes/Maps all are pretty cool continuity features though.

Handoff and the translucency is really nice.

9Kr50Iq.jpg

Anyone else not getting this effect across the top of the folders/display bar?

I have the transparency/vibrancy on the left side menu but not across the top. I'm on a Mid 2013 Macbook Air with 8GB ram and have never had any issues in the past.

Has anyone complaining about the lack of/reducing of transparency tried to replicate the image that's constantly being referred to? Otherwise, it's a bit of a silly comparison.

If you go to the same folder and see this:

Then you'll note that it's the same. If you're not seeing that, then obviously something is up for you.

Safari is playing up for me - it keeps signing me out of everything (Gaf, eBay, FB etc) despite me using the boxes to stay signed in. If I return to safari from standby I find myself kicked out.

Initially I assumed it was because it had been overhauled, resetting my settings. But nope.

I also find the transparency comes and goes (2014 Retina MBP).

I'm having exactly this problem since I installed Yosemite:

Yosemite WiFI not working, slow Internet problems

(...)

Another case is where someone updated their 2013 MacBook Air to Yosemite and since then has been unable to keep a stable WiFi connection. The WiFi works fine under normal browsing, but when more demand is asked of it, the connection disconnects. He even tried creating a new network connection and removed all files from SystemConfiguration in case there was a corrupted file, but neither of these solutions worked.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2014/10/17/yosemite-wifi-not-working-slow-internet-problems/

Fix this shit, Apple.

Continuity continues to work only one way for me, as it has since the betas.
Anything I'm doing on my Mac I can pick up on my iPhone instantly but I can't get anything going from phone > Mac at all no matter what I try or which app.
iCloud syncing of Safari bookmarks, Notes and Pages means I'm not really missing the feature too much but it would be nice if it worked correctly.

All of my Safari notifications have stopped too. When I force one to display it does correctly, so the functionality still works, but none of the 10+ sites I get notifications from have sent a single one in weeks.
Again this is something that started in the beta, pretty annoying...

So after some tweaking I have to say I´m in love with this OS. It just feels more natural and responsive all around and continuity is a bless. Too bad I have to take my rMPR to the store today to have my retina display changed. A couple of white spots appeared a few days ago and they are going to replace it so I´ll be without it at least a couple of days.

Goldenhen

Continuity continues to work only one way for me, as it has since the betas.
Anything I'm doing on my Mac I can pick up on my iPhone instantly but I can't get anything going from phone > Mac at all no matter what I try or which app.
iCloud syncing of Safari bookmarks, Notes and Pages means I'm not really missing the feature too much but it would be nice if it worked correctly.

All of my Safari notifications have stopped too. When I force one to display it does correctly, so the functionality still works, but none of the 10+ sites I get notifications from have sent a single one in weeks.
Again this is something that started in the beta, pretty annoying...

Have you tried log out your iCloud account on both and relog in again?

Total Finder definitely interferes with the transparency effect. I disabled it and could just about see it, but with it enabled there is nothing.

I'm having transparency issues, too.

I used to use TotalFinder but I uninstalled it a long time ago. I've just downloaded the app just to run the uninstaller but it didn't change anything, the Finder still has no transparency.

Edit: Nevermind, transparency only kicks in when you scroll down.

I'm having transparency issues, too.

I used to use TotalFinder but I uninstalled it a long time ago. I've just downloaded the app just to run the uninstaller but it didn't change anything, the Finder still has no transparency.

Edit: Nevermind, transparency only kicks in when you scroll down.
I've tried different options but it just doesn't seem to work for me with total finder installed. I'm not sure what's different with my setup.

There's no huge loss anyway. I think it'd be better if the transparency worked like Window's Aero effects and it showed whatever was underneath it rather than the contents of the window.

Ambitious

safariqyc4g.png

Why is one of them in a different color, and why do neither display the GAF favicon like Mobile Safari does just fine? (The favicons for sites other than GAF are there in both browsers)

Actually, below in the Frequently Visited section, it does actually display the GAF favicon.

edit: I had created the bookmarks on my phone, so they were linking to Mobile GAF. I replaced them with Desktop GAF, and now everything is fine on both devices.

Actually, it's not. The subscriptions site of the Desktop version does not work on my phone ("File not found"). So what I have now is: Gaming and Off-Topic bookmarks are from the Desktop version, and the Subscriptions are from the mobile version. All three links are working on both devices, but on the Mac there's no favicon for the Subscriptions bookmark.

Top Bottom