• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Foov

Finally got it installed on my 2010 macbook pro, I'm surprisingly happy to find that the computer does feel a bit zippier than before. 50 GB was also somehow freed up on my hard drive after wiping and reinstalling mavericks and then upgrading and migrating from time machine, not sure how I had managed to accumulate that much bloat.
I like the look but I can't help but feel it has a fisher price quality to it... which I didn't get from iOS 7.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Going to be doing a clean install of Yosemite on my MBP today, so I don't know if it still works but try this: https://github.com/heardrwt/BringBackDelete

I loved it

Just did my install. Loving Yosemite, and this extension still works.

Any list of great Safari extensions to make it more powerful/add some chrome features?

Is there a good window managing tool similar to Moom? Looking for a free alternative to snap windows.

BetterTouchTool, one of my favorite apps. About to install it on Yosemite right now.

alatif113

9Kr50Iq.jpg

Anyone else not getting this effect across the top of the folders/display bar?

I have the transparency/vibrancy on the left side menu but not across the top. I'm on a Mid 2013 Macbook Air with 8GB ram and have never had any issues in the past.

It's there, just very subtle. I think they toned down the entire frosted glass look from the pre release screens.

gkryhewy

This OS is beautiful, and I'm enjoying making cell calls. However, it doesn't seem to be pulling contact info from my iPhone for some reason -- e.g., I have to enter a full number rather than just typing a contact's name to dial.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
my mbp late 2012 has been running slower than usual after installing yosemite

SwampFox

Neo Member
It took a while to install it on my Macbook Pro 2011. Once I finally installed it, my computer starting being extremely sluggish. Took several hours to figure out the kinks, delete some data to free up space, and update all of my apps. Now it is finally starting to run smoothly. I hate that the handoff feature is not compatible with my computer, but other than that I am enjoying the upgrade.

why does this always happen? Transferring some music from iTunes 12.0 (Yosemite... still on one of the betas but pretty sure this happened for me in 10.9 as well) to an iPhone 5C w/ iOS 8.

I get this and the files don't actually transfer?

uhhhh.png

edit: ok... I just clicked "Sync" but why do I have to do that? My method is dragging albums from my iTunes library into the iPhone tab. The songs transfer but some get that "dotted circle" thing and others don't.

edit x2: Ok... after sync finished there are still songs with the dotted circle that don't transfer. UGH.

I had this with my iPhone 6 Plus and iTunes 11.4. Haven't checked to see if it still exists in 12. Super annoying, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like how Parallels is trying to scare me into buying the 10 update. Saying there's no problem with 9 as long as I keep it updated, but 10 has so many new cool features. But passing it off as a security alert that I might be in trouble.

Get off my back, I'll buy your $50 update when I'm good and ready.

Majine

Banned
The situation of photos in symbios with iOS is kind of fucked up right now with iCloud photo library and the fact that the new Photos app is not yet on Mac. If you sync from iPhoto to your iOS device, turning on iCloud Photo Library will prompt it to delete all the photos that sync from Mac, even tho I want it to put those photos in the cloud.

The solution was to grab the photos in iPhoto and airdrop them to my iPad, which is kind of ridiculous. I could've just waited for the Photos app, but next year? Fuck that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I've been using OS X for almost 10 years now and I had no idea you could manually change application shortcuts inside system preferences. Just changed Safari's next / previous tab shortcuts since ctrl+tab is terrible.

Outside of the menu bar I'm still not getting the translucency thing they're talking about. I wonder if it's not working in Finder because I have Total Finder installed.

EDIT: I'm seeing it in my comic book reading application but not in safari, finder or any official Apple application.

EDIT 2: Wait, I clicked on a few buttons in the interface for said comic app and now the translucency has gone. Yep, Yosemite definitely has some quirks...

I find myself wanting to use OS X more and more and windows less and less now. My main computer is a windows 7 desktop with 3 monitors but I feel like OS X is more polished and a lot more, eh, fun(?) to use.

I would love a desktop with OS X on it. Should get an iMac or a mac mini when i graduate.

I find myself wanting to use OS X more and more and windows less and less now. My main computer is a windows 7 desktop with 3 monitors but I feel like OS X is more polished and a lot more, eh, fun(?) to use.

I would love a desktop with OS X on it. Should get an iMac or a mac mini when i graduate.
Now that I've been using OS X for a year I don't really like using Windows. I don't know what it is about OS X but it just feels like a much more fluid, cohesive experience. Maybe Windows 10 will change the way I feel about it but I'm loving OS X for now.

Sch1sm

It's only been just less than two months now, and I've had concentrated use of the Macbook Pro w/ Retina, and every time I go back to my Acer it's a large struggle. Needless to say I've just about given up. I'll use it if I'm desperate for a good game on Steam that isn't available on the Mac, but otherwise I'm stuck.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The review has been edited so that "The desktop needs to die" is now "The icons-on-a-background PC desktop needs to die"
I'll never understand people who don't want to have icons on the desktop. What else it's there for? To show some pretty but useless picture, like it's some sacred space that must never be cluttered? I'd rather use it for something useful like putting stuff there that I need easy access to at all times.

DedValve

Banned
I'll never understand people who don't want to have icons on the desktop. What else it's there for? To show some pretty but useless picture, like it's some sacred space that must never be cluttered? I'd rather use it for something useful like putting stuff there that I need easy access to at all times.

Its funny, ever since I got my first mac almost a year ago I noticed that other than very few temporary files my desktop is completely blank. In fact I never see the damn thing.

I'm not sure what exactly made me stop using the desktop but maybe multiple "windows" or "panes" or whatchamacallit helped tremendously. My desktop is empty.

9Kr50Iq.jpg

Anyone else not getting this effect across the top of the folders/display bar?

I have the transparency/vibrancy on the left side menu but not across the top. I'm on a Mid 2013 Macbook Air with 8GB ram and have never had any issues in the past.

I'm still having this problem. No idea what the problem is. Safari's menu bar also isn't transparent. Side menu in finder is transparent, as is the dock, maps menu bar, and top bar.

Anyone have any ideas?

Weirdly couldn't get rid of Xcode beta 4 nor would regular Xcode start so i had to uninstall Xcode and rm -R on the Xcode beta 4 in the applications folder before it was gone.

And swiping to go back is completely bugged in safari right now in that it just doesn't work. Edit: A second restart fixed it(???)

Timan

Developer
I like how Parallels is trying to scare me into buying the 10 update. Saying there's no problem with 9 as long as I keep it updated, but 10 has so many new cool features. But passing it off as a security alert that I might be in trouble.

Get off my back, I'll buy your $50 update when I'm good and ready.

You can find Parallels 9 for like 25$ (newegg had it last week) and you got a free upgrade to parallels 10.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
My Mac just crashed for the first time ever since I got it 2 and half years ago :/

I hope this isn't a regular occurrence with Yosemite

Anion

I'm still having this problem. No idea what the problem is. Safari's menu bar also isn't transparent. Side menu in finder is transparent, as is the dock, maps menu bar, and top bar.

Anyone have any ideas?

Same thing as you. 2011 MBP

Oh, and spotify helper and chrome helper are "not responding"
Chrome specifically has crashed a few times on me.... :(

bionic77

My Mac just crashed for the first time ever since I got it 2 and half years ago :/

I hope this isn't a regular occurrence with Yosemite
What happens when it crashes?

The only time one of my Macs crashed was when the graphics card in my first MBP from like 2005 failed about a month after I bought it.

xsarien

daedsiluap

It really depends on what you want to do with it. A Mac Mini is an absolutely solid My First Mac, especially for desktop PC owners who might already own a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I wouldn't use it for any heavy gaming, though. If you're going to be doing that I'd jump right to the iMac.

Just keep in mind that not a lot of stuff inside these things is user replaceable (yes, even some of the iMacs), and more and more that includes RAM (Check their support site to see if the machine you're interested has official user-replaceable memory, then check ifixit.com to see what you can do with a screwdriver.) ;)

On one hand, yes, this is annoying. On the other, Mac OS is really good at managing memory and Apple's memory prices aren't *blatantly* higher than what you'd get out of Newegg.

All that said, I still won't hesitate to recommend at least the Mini; if you can find last year's model refurbished on their site, that's even better as it should have user-accessible RAM slots.) It's the cheapest entry to point to owning a Mac. You can concentrate on acclimating yourself without feeling like you have to justify a nearly $2,000 purchase. :)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
What happens when it crashes?

The only time one of my Macs crashed was when the graphics card in my first MBP from like 2005 failed about a month after I bought it.

It was while watching a flash video, the screen flashed a few times and then I got a gray screen and it said that an error has occurred and the computer will now restart.

bionic77

It was while watching a flash video, the screen flashed a few times and then I got a gray screen and it said that an error has occurred and the computer will now restart.
Hopefully it is just an isolated incidence. In 10 years of using Macs I have never seen that. I don't want my macs to start crashing like a iphone 5S...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Anyone have any ideas?
It is only transparent to things that you scroll past in that very same window, not transparent to what's behind the window. Open a folder with some pictures in it, start scrolling down and you'll see the transparency.

Not great for gaming, though :/

Same thing as you. 2011 MBP

Oh, and spotify helper and chrome helper are "not responding"
Chrome specifically has crashed a few times on me.... :(

I'm also using a 2011 and I definitely had a lot of that Chrome Helper stuff. I started turning off extensions. The whole machine has been behaving much better than it was for the first several hours. Leave it on over night and see if things don't improve when you wake up in the morning.

It is only transparent to things that you scroll past in that very same window, not transparent to what's behind the window. Open a folder with some pictures in it, start scrolling down and you'll see the transparency.

I'll try it when i boot back into OSX, but I didn't see it working for me under any circumstances. Same with Safari, which apparently is supposed to take the color of whatever tab is currently selected. No dice there either.

Talon

I'll try it when i boot back into OSX, but I didn't see it working for me under any circumstances. Same with Safari, which apparently is supposed to take the color of whatever tab is currently selected. No dice there either.
It's subtle and depends on what you're looking at.

Here on GAF - it's going to look pretty much grey the whole time because - no shit, most of the site is grey. If you're flipping through a bunch of blue pictures, you'll see it more obviously. Again, the key being what's scrolled up in the same window.

This effect was most obvious to me on sites with a lot of green or blue on the background.

It's subtle and depends on what you're looking at.

Here on GAF - it's going to look pretty much grey the whole time because - no shit, most of the site is grey. If you're flipping through a bunch of blue pictures, you'll see it more obviously.

I'll have a look, but I'm pretty sure it just wasn't transparent at all. But I'll definitely check against my photo folders and report back.

edit: like it's apparent on the menu bar on the right side in finder. that's transparent and i can tell it is. but the top bar of the finder window...nope.

Sobriquet

I'll have a look, but I'm pretty sure it just wasn't transparent at all. But I'll definitely check against my photo folders and report back.

edit: like it's apparent on the menu bar on the right side in finder. that's transparent and i can tell it is. but the top bar of the finder window...nope.

The only time I notice it on GAF is scrolling past the blue bar at the top of the page.

Try going to your applications folder in icon view and start scrolling. You should see the colors go through the menu bar. It's very subtle. You're not going to see your desktop background, it's only transparent for whatever is in your finder window.

I'm also using a 2011 and I definitely had a lot of that Chrome Helper stuff. I started turning off extensions. The whole machine has been behaving much better than it was for the first several hours. Leave it on over night and see if things don't improve when you wake up in the morning.

Spotlight is indexing for the first few hours. The OS is a bit slow until it's done.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

Anyone have any ideas?
Are we sure that's not just from the beta? I don't have it on mine either. I have a 13" MBPr with Intel Iris from late last year.

It actually reminds me of Aero so I don't know how much I'd actually want to have it enabled.

Talon

Are we sure that's not just from the beta? I don't have it on mine either. I have a 13" MBPr with Intel Iris from late last year.

It actually reminds me of Aero so I don't know how much I'd actually want to have it enabled.
This is what it looks like.

Again, it's subtle, but it's there. I find it easiest to see in Messages in long chains.
4qqZy11.png

Top Bottom