• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

welp, you know that 2009 MBP I was trying to get Yosemite to install on?

the shit finally installed after nearly 18 hours of trying to get it to boot off thumb drives and external hard drives and failing to do anything.

never fucking again.

Xcellere

Does anyone know if SMS Continuity will allow you to delete a text on an iPhone, and it gets deleted on the Mac, or visa versa?

as opposed to what? I had to wipe the drive after a failed upgrade (some corrupt file) on release day. A clean install was the only option and thumb drive is the only well-supported installation method.

As opposed to installing it via the internet, but I guess that would have defaulted you to the previous OS release, not sure though since you previously tried upgrading to Yosemite. And maybe your model doesn't support a recovery drive. So nevermind my question!

As opposed to installing it via the internet, but I guess that would have defaulted you to the previous OS release, not sure though since you previously tried upgrading to Yosemite. And maybe your model doesn't support a recovery drive. So nevermind my question!

Didn't have any of those options, unfortunately. It was being updated from an older version of OSX. Boot options didn't have any option other than to install from USB.

It was the oddest thing: it would start to load...sometimes it would get to the install menu, but most of the time it would just lag out or something trying to load it. Just the apple logo and a very slow-growing progress bar. When it did get to the install screen it would get to "restarting in one second" and sit there forever. It did this all day for at least 15 hours. Finally it just responded differently and requested a log into the associated iCloud account. Downloaded the install files (I guess) and finally installed the OS.

Never, ever again.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

the shit finally installed after nearly 18 hours of trying to get it to boot off thumb drives and external hard drives and failing to do anything.

never fucking again.

I've got a 2009 MBP as well. Admittedly it's got a SSD drive. Yosemite installed without hitch.
Sorry to hear you went through a nightmare.

So I've managed to "fix" the issue. I did indeed replicate the above scenario by scrolling a folder with pics but wasn't getting any transparency effect. I then switched themes from light to dark (which looks fantastic with a nice dark wallpaper) and restarted the computer and lo and behold!

7xb58PJ.png

So not sure if it was just a temporary bug with the way my theme loaded, but the effect is working and I've switched between themes and it still remains there.

Worth a shot for anyone else not seeing the effect.

How do you change the theme?

What do you think was I doing?

2014-10-1921_29_12uqzb8.gif

As you can see, both are missing the drag & drop handle thingy. I can drag them, but when dropped they always go back to their default positions. Unlike the Calendar and Reminders widgets, which I can rearrange just fine.

That's the same as on an iPhone or iPad. Today and tomorrow are locked to the top and bottom, everything else you can rearrange.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I find myself wanting to use OS X more and more and windows less and less now. My main computer is a windows 7 desktop with 3 monitors but I feel like OS X is more polished and a lot more, eh, fun(?) to use.

I would love a desktop with OS X on it. Should get an iMac or a mac mini when i graduate.

Yeah, I think it's high time I delete my W7 partition on my rMBP.

Can't even remember the last time I booted into it.

Been playing with yosemite for about an hour now. I like it way better than the previous OS. Love the clean streamlined look of safari and iTunes now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In early betas the today and tomorrow panels could be rearranged via a bug. But it was fixed fast. I wish I could merge the two into one single panel and make the day name smaller to save space. Or just turn them off if an alternative comes along that can show the date and time and what's coming up on your calendar in the same way with less wasted space.

I'm also hoping Bjango releases an update to iStat Menus with a highly customizable widget so I can clear out my menubar. Their informational panels look amazing. I would buy the program day one for a sidebar widget. I mean they did have one for Dashboard.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
replacing the dashboard screen with the notification slider was rad as fuck

question: is there a quick way to enable/disable dark mode?

It happens on my 2013 MBP which has a retina display. If you're talking about the unmasked corners of the volume display.

Oh I noticed that but I also noticed how terrible the UI looks without everything being razor sharp. Helvetia Neue looks like absolute garbage on that screen.

mrkgoo

Oh I noticed that but I also noticed how terrible the UI looks without everything being razor sharp. Helvetia Neue looks like absolute garbage on that screen.
It does look fuzzy on a non-retina.

I don't even have a retina to compare it with but just notice general font fuzziness.

Fuchsdh

Yosemite looks fine on a non-retina screen. The only real indication that it's built for retina displays is that the font kerning is ever so slightly too close on some menu items, etc.

People used to retina screens just feel like non-retina screens are garbage, and they're conflating that with the OS :)

Oh my gosh, that has to be the cutest "enable JavaScript" icon I've ever seen. Really makes me want to get a classic Mac mug. :3

YYRfylf.png

The six-color icon has been making a fairly big comeback at Apple... I'm starting to think it's not too crazy now that they've gotten rid of the glossy Apple icon from Steve Jobs' return, they might actually go back to a multicolored logo.

LProtag

I'm kinda annoyed that there's a space between the top of my browser window and the menu bar of my background sticking through. Before it was flush.

That's pretty much the only thing irking me about it.

Sch1sm

I'm kinda annoyed that there's a space between the top of my browser window and the menu bar of my background sticking through. Before it was flush.

That's pretty much the only thing irking me about it.

I didn't notice that probably on my MBP. But that could be because my windows are scattered everywhere in varying sizes. Have a screenshot of this?

Sch1sm

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think my late 2013 rMBP has taken a hit in battery life at all.

Lucky you! Mine is a 2014 model and I've had no trouble with battery, either, aside from when Spotlight was busy indexing the entirety of my drive.

Shun

never fucking again.

Rather than a clean install straight to Yosemite, I just had it on hold and I did a clean install of Snow Leopard first so I could have all my applications back.

After that I upgraded to Yosemite and that worked fine.

Besides that, every time I go to a new tab and go to Google or some other bar in Safari, it lags a little and I have to click the first letter twice for it to register.

Like if I were to search "Basketball", I'd have to press B twice or something for it to go through on Google on Safari.

I don't have this issue at all and it's exclusive only to Safari so far and it's sorta bothering me.

Does anyone have this problem?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Rather than a clean install straight to Yosemite, I just had it on hold and I did a clean install of Snow Leopard first so I could have all my applications back.

After that I upgraded to Yosemite and that worked fine.

Besides that, every time I go to a new tab and go to Google or some other bar in Safari, it lags a little and I have to click the first letter twice for it to register.

Like if I were to search "Basketball", I'd have to press B twice or something for it to go through on Google on Safari.

I don't have this issue at all and it's exclusive only to Safari so far and it's sorta bothering me.

Does anyone have this problem?

I'm still on Mavericks but I get that problem sometimes.

Talon

The number is off center. It bugs me too. It's most noticeable when the date starts with a 1.

Also, the 'x' in the model of the red close window button is .5 - 1 pixel off, at least on non retina displays . Yosemite was def built with a retina-only future in mind.
Actually...Siracusa tweeted about this today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

If you zoom in (control + scroll), you see that it's actually centered. Light be cray.

Top Bottom