• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Actually...Siracusa tweeted about this today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

If you zoom in (control + scroll), you see that it's actually centered. Light be cray.
That might explain the X. But the number in Calendar's icon is still literally off center by a few pixel units. People used to complain about it on iOS too when it was skeuomorphic. It's fine now on iOS 8 with the much simpler straight calendar. But the angled calendar on OS X is just so wrong.

BashNasty

Any reasons not to upgrade my late 2013 rMBP? Like any big bugs that I should wait to be patched in an update?

I'm curious about this too. I have the same model, but Mavericks has been working great for me. If Yosemite takes any big steps back at the moment (battery life, browser speed, ect.) I'll hold off for updates.

Any reasons not to upgrade my late 2013 rMBP? Like any big bugs that I should wait to be patched in an update?

Upgraded my Late 2013 15" RMBP (2.6Ghz/16GB/1TB/750m 2GB) and besides minor bugs (animations are still a little choppy, lagging a bit with translucency), I think it's worth the jump. Have to admit that it's very stable for a 10.10.0 release.

That said, I erased my SSD and did a fresh install. I refuse to upgrade, as it gives me a chance to do a reformat and clean up.

Majine

Banned
I think it's great that SMS will get redirected to imessage in Macs, but taking a step back... Why doesn't iMessage sync conversation history? You know, like pretty much every other messaging solution does. I did a clean install on my iPad and the Imessage there got completely wiped, which sucks.

soco

Good lord. There's so many unpolished edges in here. Did they let some college interns do their design and UX work?

sirap

Ok, there's definitely something going on with battery life. All I'm doing is browsing with Safari, and i'm getting 4-5 hours of battery on my 2014 15" RMBP.

I don't remember the public beta being this bad, and Maverick definitely lasted longer than this.

D.Lo

Oh god Safari so good

Chrome sucks in Yosemite, but it sucks everywhere so I might change Browser after 5 years in Chrome!

I know this is off topic but I have 3GB of "Other" on my iPhone and apparently 500MB of that is Mail files/attachments despite having none in my inbox and only text ones in my outbox.

Ugh.

DOWN

Banned
13GB of other data on my iPhone. I don't know what to do about that.

I noticed when I plugged into Yosemite like the guy above me.

Oh my gosh, that has to be the cutest "enable JavaScript" icon I've ever seen. Really makes me want to get a classic Mac mug. :3

YYRfylf.png

This is exactly what I needed to make my background complete.

EeVr8Nj.png

I wouldn't say the internet at work was slow per se...

4oVVjVq.jpg

But I set this downloading on Friday morning. It's now Monday.

Just went to speedtest.net and we're on 5mbps but even that should surely be faster than this... oh well! I can wait.

Ambitious

Continuity is now working for me. What I did to fix it was:
1) Log out of iCloud on both devices
2) Log in again
3) Restart the phone

edit: The only issue now is that iCloud Drive has been "Configuring" for over half an hour now.
edit 2: Either restarting the Finder or restarting the Mac should fix it (for me, the latter did it).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I thought restoring from backup just reloads the exact same data?
If you restore from iCloud it should cut out some of that Other.

We're already discussing "Other" in the iOS 8 thread. It's a horrible problem that won't go away. I really wish iTunes would break it down completely instead of just encompassing it all under a single umbrella. Tell us how much is messages. How much of that is images and video and audio sent in those messages. How much is attachments. How much is caches. Just break it down!

Ninja Dom

We're already discussing "Other" in the iOS 8 thread. It's a horrible problem that won't go away. I really wish iTunes would break it down completely instead of just encompassing it all under a single umbrella. Tell us how much is messages. How much of that is images and video and audio sent in those messages. How much is attachments. How much is caches. Just break it down!

Remember the thing I love about iMessage is its ability to send uncompressed images and it downscales hi def video to 1080p/30fps. And there isn't really much of a limit on how much you can send via iMessage. All of this contributes to that Other category. I started using my iPhone 6 fresh on 22 Sep, still not exactly one calendar month and my messages is already up to 577MB.

Aldebaran

I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Air, should I wait for the retina remodel? I'm worried about the complaints regarding Yosemite and non-Retina screens.

Number45

I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Air, should I wait for the retina remodel? I'm worried about the complaints regarding Yosemite and non-Retina screens.
I don't understand these complaints. Looks absolutely fine to me, though granted I don't have a retina screen to compare it to.

Number45

So there are no readability issues in your opinion?
Nope, no issues at all for me. Clean install on Friday morning on a late 2012 13" MBA - it's my only personal computer so I'd definitely be complaining if it was unusable. :/

EDIT: What are people saying about readability? If you can give me any examples I can check it personally when I get home later, but I've been using Mail, Safari, Lightroom and various other apps without issue.

Aldebaran

Nope, no issues at all for me. Clean install on Friday morning on a late 2012 13" MBA - it's my only personal computer so I'd definitely be complaining if it was unusable. :/

EDIT: What are people saying about readability? If you can give me any examples I can check it personally when I get home later, but I've been using Mail, Safari, Lightroom and various other apps without issue.
People are complaining about fuzzy text and many say that Helvetica Neue doesn't look good on non Retina screens, I don't have many examples though.

I'm using Yosemite on a Late 2012 MBP 13" w/ non-Retina and it looks absolutely fine. No readability issues, nothing. Also, that screenshot from earlier looks incredibly compressed.

Number45

People are complaining about fuzzy text and many say that Helvetica Neue doesn't look good on non Retina screens, I don't have many examples though.
I'll generate some screens later, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're into serious hyperbole territory here. I actually love the update on my MBA, I much prefer the look.

mrkgoo

Everyone I've restored, I've used the "clean restore" (like restore to new), then applied the backup. I've always cleared out a high or two of other this way.

I've done a "restore from backup" before and that doesn't do it the same way, it's like it just reapplies the backup but without actually deleting any caches or something.

I don't if it's still this way now, but before a "restore from backup" just reapplies your save data and settings and didn't touch stuff like synced music and so forth.

Clean restore erases everythig and then applies your backup THEN resyncs music and other synced media.

Just for the record, I know stuff like shared iCloud photos don't actually keep a full-res version if you resubscribe to an entire album UNTIL you actually select an image and try to view it full screen. Then it downloads that and keeps it forever in a cache.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm kinda annoyed that there's a space between the top of my browser window and the menu bar of my background sticking through. Before it was flush.

That's pretty much the only thing irking me about it.

Besides that, every time I go to a new tab and go to Google or some other bar in Safari, it lags a little and I have to click the first letter twice for it to register.

Like if I were to search "Basketball", I'd have to press B twice or something for it to go through on Google on Safari.

I don't have this issue at all and it's exclusive only to Safari so far and it's sorta bothering me.

Does anyone have this problem?

have both of these bugs, the first one always, the second one occasionally.

kind of annoying.

DOWN

Banned
Everyone I've restored, I've used the "clean restore" (like restore to new), then applied the backup. I've always cleared out a high or two of other this way.

I've done a "restore from backup" before and that doesn't do it the same way, it's like it just reapplies the backup but without actually deleting any caches or something.

I don't if it's still this way now, but before a "restore from backup" just reapplies your save data and settings and didn't touch stuff like synced music and so forth.

Clean restore erases everythig and then applies your backup THEN resyncs music and other synced media.

Just for the record, I know stuff like shared iCloud photos don't actually keep a full-res version if you resubscribe to an entire album UNTIL you actually select an image and try to view it full screen. Then it downloads that and keeps it forever in a cache.

I'm confused as to which restore you are saying is a good idea.

Talon

Hilarious overreaction. Yosemite looks great on the Air outside of the keening looking a little off in the menu text.

bionic77

Going to retina is going to be a big jump.

If you need the computer now go ahead and get it but that and the thunderbolt 2 might be things you might miss in a year or two depending on how you use it.

No issues with me either.

Also a 2012 MBA 13".

Looks and runs beautifully.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Oh my gosh, that has to be the cutest "enable JavaScript" icon I've ever seen. Really makes me want to get a classic Mac mug. :3

YYRfylf.png

Wait, where? In Safari? (I'm at work right now, and I'm not moving this workstation to Yosemite until the annual holiday code-freeze.

Ambitious

With DuckDuckGo now being available as default search in both OS X and iOS, I gave it another try. The search bangs are incredibly useful (though I wish I could customize them), but the default search results are just subpar compared to Google. I wish I could set Google as the default search but still use DDG's bangs.

Has this melted any 2011 MBPs yet

I don't remember if I have a 2011 or 2012 Macbook Pro but it's running like a dream on mine. Zippy and elegant... if anything the graphics have some slight lagging here and there but it still runs exponentially smoother than Mavericks did. Not sure how common that is though.

I don't remember if I have a 2011 or 2012 Macbook Pro but it's running like a dream on mine. Zippy and elegant... if anything the graphics have some slight lagging here and there but it still runs exponentially smoother than Mavericks did. Not sure how common that is though.
Yeah, Mavericks was a MESS on my late 2012 MBP 13" (non-Retina).
Yosemite is super snappy and smooth. I was tempted to do a clean install because I thought I must've messed up Mavericks to have it run like that, but in the end I just updated to Yosemite and it's amazing.

I'm having an issue when I restart my machine (late 2011 MacBook Pro), I'm given no profile picture and "[Update Needed]" as my user name. Then a progress bar refills, and I'm back, with everything else intact, and my admin profile as it should be.

This is obviously driving me nuts and I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom