• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

vityaz

This seriously annoys me way more than it should:

IVPeD7h.png

Blue selection color bg gets cut off, but not always. Just a weird thing.

Curious as to why you couldn't get Time machine to work?

I know there are
Some oddities with it, but just curious.

It was working but just agonizingly slow. I checked the drives , resent pram, did a safe mode trick, excluded the drive from spotlight, all things I read online as things that could help, but no effect. Weird because TM worked great on my old Mac (snow leopard).

lol, finally try to use Safari and now the quit button is greyed out, command+Q doesn't work, restart won't work because it can't close Safari. One of the few times I've ever had to force quit something on OS X.

mrkgoo

It was working but just agonizingly slow. I checked the drives , resent pram, did a safe mode trick, excluded the drive from spotlight, all things I read online as things that could help, but no effect. Weird because TM worked great on my old Mac (snow leopard).

Just ten once or consistently?

Time machine can take a while figuring out some little files that need updating.

For example, my Aperture library is HUGE and even just opening and closing it will cause time machine to make a new 3.5 GB backup, of which the first half takes quite a while to sort out. My philosophy is to just let it do it.

Number45

Is there any reason why music I've bought from iTunes still gives me the option to buy that music via iTunes? I assume it's something everyone sees, and not a problem on my end?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there any reason why music I've bought from iTunes still gives me the option to buy that music via iTunes? I assume it's something everyone sees, and not a problem on my end?
Hmm. When you click it it should tell you you already own it and just download it. Try clicking one and see if it asks if you want to purchase it or redownload it.

Fuchsdh

Ok, so with the .1 update finally bit the bullet to upgrade. Made a bootable USB disk, cloned my old Mavericks installation to a spare HDD, and then wiped my SSD and made a fresh start with Yosemite. Dropbox, iCloud, and Creative Cloud are certainly going to make this less hassle-prone than previous migrations. However iCloud is counting my old tabs in Safari. Is there a way to remotely kill those tabs (besides, presumably, booting into my old backup HDD, killing the tabs there?)

After Photoshop is installed, I'm going to get to redesigning all my icons...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ok, so with the .1 update finally bit the bullet to upgrade. Made a bootable USB disk, cloned my old Mavericks installation to a spare HDD, and then wiped my SSD and made a fresh start with Yosemite. Dropbox, iCloud, and Creative Cloud are certainly going to make this less hassle-prone than previous migrations. However iCloud is counting my old tabs in Safari. Is there a way to remotely kill those tabs (besides, presumably, booting into my old backup HDD, killing the tabs there?)

After Photoshop is installed, I'm going to get to redesigning all my icons...
You have two options:

A) Wait a few weeks for the old browser to expire on the iCloud. (Same way Chrome does it. If a browser isn't used for a while it will become expired and disappear and only come back when you use it again.)

B) Close all the tabs by hovering over the list and clicking the X. Close all of them and the browser disappears as well.

Fuchsdh

You have two options:

A) Wait a few weeks for the old browser to expire on the iCloud. (Same way Chrome does it. If a browser isn't used for a while it will become expired and disappear and only come back when you use it again.)

B) Close all the tabs by hovering over the list and clicking the X. Close all of them and the browser disappears as well.

Ah, excellent. Amazing how much snappier a Mac feels when you just start from scratch again, even on an SSD.

Number45

Hmm. When you click it it should tell you you already own it and just download it. Try clicking one and see if it asks if you want to purchase it or redownload it.
I'll check it when I get back later, thanks. Only noticed because iTunes gave me 2 free song credits to pick up an additional track to the Interstellar OST.

Deku Tree

You have two options:

A seems like a terrible option... I guess it's OK if you never use th feature anyway.

mrkgoo

Depends on the meta data I presume.

Ice got songs I bought that say that I have them purchased across multiple albums and others that don't show up as purchased.

Have you tried viewing it through the "purchased" pane?

Number45

Depends on the meta data I presume.

Ice got songs I bought that say that I have them purchased across multiple albums and others that don't show up as purchased.

Have you tried viewing it through the "purchased" pane?
Yeah, they're there in the purchased pane - and I do change the metadata in most cases, just surprised (and a little concerned) that it seems like it might look in my library rather than my purchase history.

EDIT: And I've checked Meddle (bought around the same time as the Interstellar OST) which I haven't yet touched the metadata for and it says play rather than giving me the purchase option. :/

EDIT2: Also really fucking ready for them to fix this wifi issue now.

Vashetti

Banned
By pure accident earlier, I discovered Bluetooth is turned on by default in Yosemite (the icon doesn't appear in the top menu bar by default so I never knew).

Might just be news to me, but hopefully it will save a little battery having it off.

anyone else get these two UI glitches with safari?
its the only things I've found wrong with safari thus far. no other problems with yosemite for the most part.

qj4Xpx

q2Q9QZ

This second one is the line in the bookmarks sidebar.

Ambitious

anyone else get these two UI glitches with safari?
its the only things I've found wrong with safari thus far. no other problems with yosemite for the most part.

15957031081_5f16aecfa7_h.jpg

15773274057_2f7609a5a0_h.jpg

This second one is the line in the bookmarks sidebar.

Yes, I regularly get the first one. However, I'm pretty sure it only ever happened whenever I had my second monitor connected.

I don't have a screenshot, but what happens even more often is that sometimes, a big black rectangle is displayed somewhere within a tab. Usually on the left side.

Get'sMad

woof. gifs load like absolute ass for me on Chrome 64 bit. Didn't have this problem on the last few 32 bit releases. Safari it is I guess...

ramyeon

Just got myself a new 13" Retina Macbook Pro the other day.

This OS looks so much better on the Retina screen, it's fantastic.

I'm still using a mid-2011 MBA, and while Yosemite mostly runs fine, I notice my computer slows down significantly after it's been on for awhile. Like, switching between spaces and using Mission Control starts to look really chunky (as if the "framerate" is decreasing significantly).

How should I go about identifying the problem? I formatted my hard drive very recently.

mrkgoo

I'm still using a mid-2011 MBA, and while Yosemite mostly runs fine, I notice my computer slows down significantly after it's been on for awhile. Like, switching between spaces and using Mission Control starts to look really chunky (as if the "framerate" is decreasing significantly).

How should I go about identifying the problem? I formatted my hard drive very recently.

Do some basic maintenance routines:

- Reset nonvolatile RAM - hold Command Optn P and R before the chime until you hear the second chime. (After this you may have to go in to System Preferences and respect your Macontosh HD as the startup disk).

- Reset SMC (hold the left Shift-CTrl-opt keys while machine is shut down and press the power button with the MagSafe plugged in - you will see the light on the MagSafe flick to green briefly).

- Repair permissions on the OS X volume using did utility.

- Verify and/or repair the volume or disk itself in Disk Utility.

- have activity monitor running and monitor your memory pressure. Had someone with a "slow" running computer and high memory usage and it turned out he had like 30 Safari windows running. I mean, just turn off your computer and back on again if you don't do that frequently. Also check what back ground processes are using ram or cpu cycles

- try booting into safe mode( hold shift after you boot), or creating another user and seeing if your symptoms persist.

mrkgoo

On non-retina Yosemite and the whole flat aesthetic can seem a bit fuzzy which wasn't an issue on less-flat designs but is kind of distracting on Yosemite.

jiiikoo

Banned

My girlfriend got one of those last week and she's been really happy with it. After using hers for a few days I had to bite the bullet and get one for myself. Should arrive tomorrow! The screen is really really nice. The last Mac I had was the first unibody model, 2007 I believe.

Fuchsdh

On non-retina Yosemite and the whole flat aesthetic can seem a bit fuzzy which wasn't an issue on less-flat designs but is kind of distracting on Yosemite.

As someone using Yosemite on a very non-retina 1080p screen I don't think I've felt like there were severe issues or even ones that would be particularly noticeable outside of the "oh god I don't wanna' go back to a non-retina screen" type. Some of the kerning might be tighter than it should, but it's not like text is colliding in menus or whatnot.

Overall I like the aesthetic for the most part (miss my pulsing buttons and thicker progress bars) and have been swapping my icons for custom dark versions (as digging into menu bar applications and replacing their badges so they look right.)

Ambitious

Just witnessed a new UI glitch I had never seen before. After waking my Mac, the whole screen was white except for my lockscreen avatar.

Same shit here, on a 2012 rMBP. They just don't give a shit about optimization anymore. Mission Control, Spaces, even scrolling in a fucking text editor, everything is choppy as hell.

Well, actually, I don't know whether it's a lack of optimization or the GPU is just too weak. I suspect a combination of both. But it doesn't matter. The crux is that my user experience is terrible on a so-called premium device.

mrkgoo

As someone using Yosemite on a very non-retina 1080p screen I don't think I've felt like there were severe issues or even ones that would be particularly noticeable outside of the "oh god I don't wanna' go back to a non-retina screen" type. Some of the kerning might be tighter than it should, but it's not like text is colliding in menus or whatnot.

Overall I like the aesthetic for the most part (miss my pulsing buttons and thicker progress bars) and have been swapping my icons for custom dark versions (as digging into menu bar applications and replacing their badges so they look right.)

It doesn't look bad, per se, it's just noticeable when a design is flat things like single pixel curved lines are just more noticeable.

I have a non-retina iMac and it looks great but you do notice fuzzy text. I wonder f it's just because I'm also used to retina on my phone....

Just witnessed a new UI glitch I had never seen before. After waking my Mac, the whole screen was white except for my lockscreen avatar.

Same shit here, on a 2012 rMBP. They just don't give a shit about optimization anymore. Mission Control, Spaces, even scrolling in a fucking text editor, everything is choppy as hell.

Well, actually, I don't know whether it's a lack of optimization or the GPU is just too weak. I suspect a combination of both. But it doesn't matter. The crux is that my user experience is terrible on a so-called premium device.

I literally had that same glitch when I opened my MBA this morning.

With regards to choppy scrolling, I see it a lot in Evernote and iTunes. I'm not even sure why it lags like shit scrolling a list of song titles or all text notes.

ramyeon

My girlfriend got one of those last week and she's been really happy with it. After using hers for a few days I had to bite the bullet and get one for myself. Should arrive tomorrow! The screen is really really nice. The last Mac I had was the first unibody model, 2007 I believe.
It really is night and day. I was about to bite on an Air because of the portability but I'm glad I went for the Retina Pro. It's much, much thinner and lighter than my 2010 Pro anyway.

Oh yeah, it's not bad without it. Just much better with Retina, since it seems to be designed around having that sharpness to it. I was fine with it on the regular Pro screen too, but it would definitely be hard to go back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have an iMac without Retina and a MBP with Retina. The MBP is noticeably clearer and nicer looking, but I've never felt like the iMac was hindering my usability.

Is there an extension or something that lets you preview link URLs when you hover over them like Chrome does? Can't believe a feature like this isn't built into Safari... seems pretty dangerous to just hide where a link leads you until you click it.

Edit: nevermind, found ultimate status bar. Seems pretty good so far.

Ambitious

Safari 8.0.2 is available.

Is there an extension or something that lets you preview link URLs when you hover over them like Chrome does? Can't believe a feature like this isn't built into Safari... seems pretty dangerous to just hide where a link leads you until you click it.

Edit: nevermind, found ultimate status bar. Seems pretty good so far.

View -> Show Status Bar

Top Bottom