• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Do some basic maintenance routines:

- Reset nonvolatile RAM - hold Command Optn P and R before the chime until you hear the second chime. (After this you may have to go in to System Preferences and respect your Macontosh HD as the startup disk).

- Reset SMC (hold the left Shift-CTrl-opt keys while machine is shut down and press the power button with the MagSafe plugged in - you will see the light on the MagSafe flick to green briefly).

- Repair permissions on the OS X volume using did utility.

- Verify and/or repair the volume or disk itself in Disk Utility.

- have activity monitor running and monitor your memory pressure. Had someone with a "slow" running computer and high memory usage and it turned out he had like 30 Safari windows running. I mean, just turn off your computer and back on again if you don't do that frequently. Also check what back ground processes are using ram or cpu cycles

- try booting into safe mode( hold shift after you boot), or creating another user and seeing if your symptoms persist.

I'll try these things and report back. Thanks!

But it's still weird I'd have to do anything like this. I've barely done anything on this computer since reformatting...

Just witnessed a new UI glitch I had never seen before. After waking my Mac, the whole screen was white except for my lockscreen avatar.

Same shit here, on a 2012 rMBP. They just don't give a shit about optimization anymore. Mission Control, Spaces, even scrolling in a fucking text editor, everything is choppy as hell.

Well, actually, I don't know whether it's a lack of optimization or the GPU is just too weak. I suspect a combination of both. But it doesn't matter. The crux is that my user experience is terrible on a so-called premium device.

It's weird, right? If my GPU was too weak I'd assume I'd have problems from the beginning, but things only get choppy after my computer has been on for awhile. Bleh!

Shun

Does anyone know how to sync keyboard text shorcuts from Yosemite to iOS devices? I use a lot of test shortcuts for different languages and emoticons and it would be really convenient.

I know you could do it before Yosemite, but I have no idea now.

Sch1sm

Does anyone know how to sync keyboard text shorcuts from Yosemite to iOS devices? I use a lot of test shortcuts for different languages and emoticons and it would be really convenient.

I know you could do it before Yosemite, but I have no idea now.

Do you have Documents & Data switched on?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is ClickToFlash necessary on Safari?

Doesn't it disable flash automatically?
I don't bother. For one thing it doesn't work exactly like Chrome's did. And Safari has the ability built-in. Though it works differently too. (I wish it had an "Allow just this time" option instead of just "Allow always" and "don't allow". Also it doesn't work in-line. It has to reload the page to enable Flash for the page. Whereas CTF lets you enable Flash objects individually on the page. At least the Crome version did.)

Vashetti

Banned
I don't bother. For one thing it doesn't work exactly like Chrome's did. And Safari has the ability built-in. Though it works differently too. (I wish it had an "Allow just this time" option instead of just "Allow always" and "don't allow". Also it doesn't work in-line. It has to reload the page to enable Flash for the page. Whereas CTF lets you enable Flash objects individually on the page. At least the Crome version did.)

Great, gonna remove it now.

Trying to keep my extension count as low as possible.

Edit: Now I only have four:

AdBlock (should I be using AdBlock Plus? And yes, it's always switched off on GAF)
Facebook Cleaner
YouTube Center Developer Build
TopCashback - Cashback Notifier

cjp

How the hell do I install/compile rTorrent?

I've trawled Google and all the guides are years out of date. I don't particularly want to go through MacPorts and Fink (the rTorrent versions are outdated for those anyway). I'm just running into error after error in the Terminal.

Vashetti

Banned
How the hell do I install/compile rTorrent?

I've trawled Google and all the guides are years out of date. I don't particularly want to go through MacPorts and Fink (the rTorrent versions are outdated for those anyway). I'm just running into error after error in the Terminal.

Use BitTorrent.

cjp

Use BitTorrent.

Closed source and got ads though...I read a post that it sometimes loads auto playing video ads with audio.

Transmission was a decent alternative but I've got an annoying bug with it that causes transfers to pause for a split second on a regular basis. Not found a fix and none of the latest nightlys have solved it.

Deluge and qBittorrent both seem to be pretty un-optimised. The Mac compiles generally come out later then the other releases (Deluge release is currently behind, latest qBT crashes to desktop unless you first run through a couple of terminal commands). Neither of these two support magnet URIs (so copy and paste into program rather than a simple click) and. GTK doesn't really suit OS X either.

So that leaves two closed source clients with ads or rTorrent.

Vashetti

Banned
Closed source and got ads though...I read a post that it sometimes loads auto playing video ads with audio.

Transmission was a decent alternative but I've got an annoying bug with it that causes transfers to pause for a split second on a regular basis. Not found a fix and none of the latest nightlys have solved it.

Deluge and qBittorrent both seem to be pretty un-optimised. The Mac compiles generally come out later then the other releases (Deluge release is currently behind, latest qBT crashes to desktop unless you first run through a couple of terminal commands). Neither of these two support magnet URIs (so copy and paste into program rather than a simple click) and. GTK doesn't really suit OS X either.

So that leaves two closed source clients with ads or rTorrent.

Never, ever happened with me, and I've had my MacBook Pro for 2+ years.

Laekon

I'm a Mac beginner and have a 2013 13" Macbook Pro with a 256GB hd. I seem to have a 125 GB partition and can't figure out how to get rid of it. Disk utility just shows it as free space. I want to remove it so the space is all in one partition. Do I need to format it to be able to remove it? Will I be able to add it to the main partition with effecting anything on it?

Sch1sm

I'm a Mac beginner and have a 2013 13" Macbook Pro with a 256GB hd. I seem to have a 125 GB partition and can't figure out how to get rid of it. Disk utility just shows it as free space. I want to remove it so the space is all in one partition. Do I need to format it to be able to remove it? Will I be able to add it to the main partition with effecting anything on it?

Delete the empty one then resize the other like this.

Laekon

There is nothing to delete. On the left side of the disk utility it list Macintosh HD with Macintosh HD under it. It just shows up as 125GB of free space with "free space" listed as the format. I've tried renaming and formatting the free space but even after clicking apply nothing happens.

The resizing thing doesn't work either. Nothing shows up in the corner to drag down.

Sch1sm

There is nothing to delete. On the left side of the disk utility it list Macintosh HD with Macintosh HD under it. It just shows up as 125GB of free space with "free space" listed as the format. I've tried renaming and formatting the free space but even after clicking apply nothing happens.

The resizing thing doesn't work either. Nothing shows up in the corner to drag down.

Oh. I misread! Sorry. Assuming the free space is at the top, huh? You could partition the free space then try deleting and resizing. That should work. Only other option is working with a Carbon Copy Clone and booting from an external, which isn't advisable considering you said you're a noob.

Laekon

This is what I'm seeing right now. When I try to make the free space into a partition it looks like it does but the minute I click away the partition disappears. You would think hitting apply would do something but its the magical wonder of a Mac.
v2AmlEjoE1d5zS8zCKtrk1SHmYfiMcTyOWZUGqtcmPc=w484-h414-p-no

Hey guys, I'm getting a rMBP for Christmas, my first Macbook like.... ever. I'm pretty excited, I've been wanting one for a while!

I've been using an iPhone for years (also going to be grabbing at 6+) so I'm familiar with how all the iCloud stuff works, syncing everything across my account and whatnot. What I'm less sure about is how photos work with this new iCloud Photos thing? My iPhone is currently my only Apple device, so whenever I take a picture with it it leaves behind a small version and the photo just goes to the cloud, where I can view it on icloud.com. That's basically the extent.

I guess my question is once I get my Mac all set up, does it auto-download any photo I take to it? And if so, does it download the full resolution version or a smaller one?

Thanks!

This is what I'm seeing right now. When I try to make the free space into a partition it looks like it does but the minute I click away the partition disappears. You would think hitting apply would do something but its the magical wonder of a Mac.

Disk Utility is a temperamental thing. You absolutely should be able to add a partition in that space or absorb it into your main partition.

The command line diskutil is much more reliable. Run it without parameters to get a list of commands and definitely go over the man page before you attempt anything with it.

Sch1sm

Hey guys, I'm getting a rMBP for Christmas, my first Macbook like.... ever. I'm pretty excited, I've been wanting one for a while!

I've been using an iPhone for years (also going to be grabbing at 6+) so I'm familiar with how all the iCloud stuff works, syncing everything across my account and whatnot. What I'm less sure about is how photos work with this new iCloud Photos thing? My iPhone is currently my only Apple device, so whenever I take a picture with it it leaves behind a small version and the photo just goes to the cloud, where I can view it on icloud.com. That's basically the extent.

I guess my question is once I get my Mac all set up, does it auto-download any photo I take to it? And if so, does it download the full resolution version or a smaller one?

Thanks!

It'll be in iPhoto, under the Photo Stream once you turn it on on the rMBP. And yeah, it is the full resolution version.

Sch1sm

So it's dependent on Photo Stream, not the Cloud Photos?

That's my error, sorry about that! When you setup you'll be prompted to log into iCloud at one point. Be sure to download iPhoto and then go to iCloud in settings (or cmd+space bar, then type iCloud and hit enter) and check off Photos (you need iPhoto or Aperture to do this) then all your Cloud photos will be in the app under the iCloud tab.

mrkgoo

So it's dependent on Photo Stream, not the Cloud Photos?

Just a previous quote about the whole icloud and photos, hope it can clarify some things:

To clarify, if I can:

Photo Stream was initially created as a way of getting photos from your iOS device onto your Mac (or otherwise another iOS device), without having to import via cable, or otherwise email yourself etc.

It worked by detecting when you were on wifi and then uploading photos you had taken into iCloud, in a single "PhotoStream", and likewise, would "sync" these images in that stream to any device you had it turned on, for example in iPhoto, Aperture on a MAc or another iOS device.

It meant I could take a photo on my iPhone, get home and just turn on my mac, and the photo would be there without having to upload it.

These photos were supposedly limited to the last 30 days and like 1000 photos.

in iOS 6 they introduced "Shared Photo Streams". This was basically user-created albums in iCloud that you could get other users to subscribe to, and thus your photos would end up on THEIR iOS devices (or Macs). Thus "the original "PhotoStream" was relabelled as "My Photostream" to distinguish the "album" that would sync within you r own devices and those that are used for sharing.

Unlike "My Photostream", "Shared Photostreams" are not dependent on time, and are indefinite, but have a limti of something like 1000 photos per shared photostream and like 100 streams or something. That was then, I have no idea about limits now.

Fast forward to today... iOS has renamed "Shared Photostream" to "iCloud Photo Sharing", but to my knowledge it's the same thing.

As for iCloud Photo Library, this is the new setup that is currently in Beta. It's essentially your entire photos.app library on your iOS device synced to the cloud via iCloud, albums, edits and all. In the future, this will come to Macs as well, and the idea is that everything is in sync. Add a photo by taking it on your iPhone, it appears in your recently added on all devices set to use iCloud Photo Library. Make an edit, such as cropping a photo on your Mac, it crops it on all your devices set to use iCloud Photo Library.

There you go, clear as mud :p

In summary:

"My Photo stream": time-based temporary album of YOUR photos for YOUR devices, set up to provide an easy way to move photos between your devices.

"iCloud Photo Sharing": albums you create and have others "subscribe" to, so that any photo you add, subscribers see them immediately, and can comment and like.

"iCloud Photo Library": the new fancy, complete syncing solution between your own devices of all albums and edits. Still in beta.

---------

As for your question, none of these are for backup or archival purposes. "My Photostream" is supposed to be temporary. "iCloud Photo sharing" is for sharing, and I don't think it uploads full-res files for sharing. iCloud Photo Library WILL keep the full-res file on record, but it's technically not backing it up so much as offering a cloud storage solution. For example, if you delete it on your iPhone, I assume it sits int eh "recently Deleted" album, but when removed from there, that removal syncs across all your devices. I haven't looked too much into iCloud Photo yet.

The proper "backup" is off loading them to another storage solution (even if you use "My Photo Stream" to achieve the move, for example, using photo stream to see the image you take on your iPhone to be seen on your Mac, and then importing it from "My Photostream" on the Mac to your iPhoto/Aperture library (these apps can also set it up to do it automatically).

In addition, iCloud Backups are set by default to include your photos in its backup.

Laekon

Disk Utility is a temperamental thing. You absolutely should be able to add a partition in that space or absorb it into your main partition.

The command line diskutil is much more reliable. Run it without parameters to get a list of commands and definitely go over the man page before you attempt anything with it.

Is there a good place to find information about this? All my files are stored on the cloud so would it just be easier to reformat the whole thing?

Is there a good place to find information about this? All my files are stored on the cloud so would it just be easier to reformat the whole thing?

Nothing to lose by trying then.

Open up terminal; run:
diskutil list

From it you can learn the device name for you partition; something like disk0s2.

Disk Utility ought to provide that as well.

At this point, it is just a matter of running:
sudo diskutil resizeVolume R /dev/disk0s2

Google 'diskutil resizeVolume' for more info.

Laekon

I got the hard drive back to it's full size but it brought up another issue. Is there a single format that works for both Time Machine and Windows backup? Time Machine seems really inefficient since it creates one file the size of everything on your drive. I don't see the point of making all your files one.

Should I be doing something else besides using Time Machine?

I got the hard drive back to it's full size but it brought up another issue. Is there a single format that works for both Time Machine and Windows backup?

I would partition the drive and use one for TM and one for Windows.

Time Machine seems really inefficient since it creates one file the size of everything on your drive. I don't see the point of making all your files one.

That would be stupid, so it's good that that isn't how it works at all. Someone unfamiliar with disk images (and bundles and sparse bundles, etc) could be forgiven for thinking that, though.

TM is file-based. It may appear to be one file on the backup disk, but that file is a disk image; opening it mounts the real backup volume, which contains date-named folders, each containing newer versions of your shit than the old backup or hardlinks to unchanged files.

If the TM disk image is a sparse bundle than the container file isn't actually one file, in the same way that a .app file isn't one file. Instead it contains files for small blocks of data, which can be incrementally backed up or transferred efficiently with rsync or rsync-based tools.

mrkgoo

I would partition the drive and use one for TM and one for Windows.

That would be stupid, so it's good that that isn't how it works at all. Someone unfamiliar with disk images (and bundles and sparse bundles, etc) could be forgiven for thinking that, though.

TM is file-based. It may appear to be one file on the backup disk, but that file is a disk image; opening it mounts the real backup volume, which contains date-named folders, each containing newer versions of your shit than the old backup or hardlinks to unchanged files.

If the TM disk image is a sparse bundle than the container file isn't actually one file, in the same way that a .app file isn't one file. Instead it contains files for small blocks of data, which can be incrementally backed up or transferred efficiently with rsync or rsync-based tools.

Does it even use images? My time machine is merely a folder on the drive labeled "backups", organised in to sub folders by computer name then time stamp. I can peruse the folders at my leisure.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
SafariStand plug-in adds favicons to Safari, if any recent Chrome switchers needed it.
Just installed it. Glad to see SIMBL isn't dead and easier to use now. Testing it out in Safari right now. I missed these icons so much. And the option to expand the addressbar is really nice.

If only it had an option to put the favicons in the NTP Favorites grid when a site icon is not available instead of the generic colored compass icon. As well as in the "All Tabs" page for both the thumbnails and the iCloud tabs list.

nampad

Help!!!
I moved a folder to my external hard drive and then deleted it from my internal SSD. Somehow, I didn't gain the space that should free up. I don't use any backup programs or Time machine.

EDIT: Thank you Omni Disk Sweeper and fuck you Parallels Desktop.

Fuchsdh

Anyone else think that the translucency and blurring effects in Yosemite are *too* subtle? In many cases it feels like there's no point to the effect if it smears things to the point where it just looks like some inconsistent texture instead of an effect over what's below. I think it's primarily an issue with the blurring; a lot of my content is going to be neutral colors so the bleedthrough is barely represented.

Help!!!
I moved a folder to my external hard drive and then deleted it from my internal SSD. Somehow, I didn't gain the space that should free up. I don't use any backup programs or Time machine.
You mean that you emptied the trash on your SSD and the folder did not disappear from the trash and you didn't regain space?

MoodyFog

I have a problem of the same type, a file that only appears in the trash when a certain hard drive is plugged in on my mac, and won't let me delete it..

Had it for months and still don't know how to solve it heh

mrkgoo

I have a problem of the same type, a file that only appears in the trash when a certain hard drive is plugged in on my mac, and won't let me delete it..

Had it for months and still don't know how to solve it heh

Sometimes a secure delete can force it. Hold down like opt or cmd or both when you right click the trash and delete can become secure delete. This may take a while of it's a large file.

MoodyFog

Sometimes a secure delete can force it. Hold down like opt or cmd or both when you right click the trash and delete can become secure delete. This may take a while of it's a large file.

Haha don't worry I've tried a lot of things, commands via terminal, secure delete.. Absolutely nothing worked. I could try to format the disk but I have 750Go of data on there..

Furyous

Is anyone else having issues with Adobe Connect on Yosemite? My connection keeps dropping despite using the Thunderbolt ethernet adapter.

Top Bottom