• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Just installed it. Glad to see SIMBL isn't dead and easier to use now. Testing it out in Safari right now. I missed these icons so much. And the option to expand the addressbar is really nice.

If only it had an option to put the favicons in the NTP Favorites grid when a site icon is not available instead of the generic colored compass icon. As well as in the "All Tabs" page for both the thumbnails and the iCloud tabs list.

It's crazy how my productivity in Safari improved tenfold just by having those icons. One glimpse and I can find my Facebook tab to check messages, Gmail tab for emails, etc. I can't believe Apple thought it'd be a good idea to make it ALL text when desktop/laptop users generally have tons of tabs open at once.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Help!!!
I moved a folder to my external hard drive and then deleted it from my internal SSD. Somehow, I didn't gain the space that should free up. I don't use any backup programs or Time machine.

EDIT: Thank you Omni Disk Sweeper and fuck you Parallels Desktop.
You wanna elaborate? What did Parallels do?

It's crazy how my productivity in Safari improved tenfold just by having those icons. One glimpse and I can find my Facebook tab to check messages, Gmail tab for emails, etc. I can't believe Apple thought it'd be a good idea to make it ALL text when desktop/laptop users generally have tons of tabs open at once.
It really is important. I can't believe I went this long without them. I had to rely on the All Tabs overview most of the time.

Nice, this plugin fixes a few common Safari complaints.
I wish it would make Command+Shift+T reopen closed tabs. Command+Z is so wrong and breaks as soon as you type some text somewhere.

Also I wish bringing a tab from iCloud would transfer its history too like Chrome, but that's a small complaint.

Speaking of which. I wish they'd just merge the New Tab Page and All Tabs views into one page that just shows up when you click the + button. When it opens you either choose a tab to switch to which just changes the tab, click the big + thumbnail to make a new blank tab but show the Bookmarks grid and focus the addressbar, scroll down and choose an iCloud tab which would open in a new tab or click something from the sidebar which would also open in a new tab. Just to streamline it. On iOS there is no dedicated New Tab button except in the Overview page. And bookmarks are shown when you create a new tab or tap in the addressbar. I just want it streamlined because I find myself sometimes opening the All Tabs overview when I meant to open a New Tab to choose a bookmark. So just for streamlining it. Have everything in one place. I dunno. Maybe people would hate it.

EmiPrime

Also I wish bringing a tab from iCloud would transfer its history too like Chrome, but that's a small complaint.

That would be nice. I am just happy that when I get my laptop next month I can use Safari without getting upset at no favicons, weird tab/address bar widths and the like. I'm much more comfortable (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) using a little SIMBL plugin than I am using Glims with its installer too.

Funny how the little things can matter so much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just hope this new SIMBL is stable enough. When I used it last before someone else took over, it was buggy and crashy and would just randomly stop working without warning. I liked Glims because it didn't use SIMBL and always worked. So hopefully this doesn't flake out.

Got a new MBPr 15" and it is my first experience with Yosemite. I love the texting to any phone from the computer. It makes things so much easier.

EDIT: Also used the new computer as an opportunity to move from Chrome to Safari for everything. Migration assistant allowed me to move all my main passwords with Keychain, so the transition has been very, very easy. I just wish that there was an extension for Safari to have YouTube links on GAF to play in the window like they could in Chrome.

But already I am seeing a speed increase on things since switching.

So I just got my Macbook (first one), set it up, and am in the process of tailoring it to what I want and moving everything over and whatnot.

First question I have is: when using Pages for documents and whatnot, how can I make it so that I have both a local copy and an iCloud copy of the same document that get updated in tandem? Is that even possible?

mrkgoo

So I just gouty Macbook (first one), set it up, and am in the process of tailoring it to what I want and moving everything over and whatnot.

First question I have is: when using Pages for documents and whatnot, how can I make it so that I have both a local copy and an iCloud copy of the same document that get updated in tandem? Is that even possible?
ICloud Drive.

Thank you! I'll be sure to use that, didn't know if it kept a local copy as well

Alright, new beef. Nothing I do, and I mean NOTHING, will allow Google to properly push any new gmail messages to the mail.app. Or the app doesn't fetch properly. Or anything. Basically whenever I get a new email I get no notice about it on my Mac, no matter what setting it's on.

Googling shows me this is a known issue, but I couldn't find any solutions. Anyone here encounter this?

mrkgoo

Thank you! I'll be sure to use that, didn't know if it kept a local copy as well

Alright, new beef. Nothing I do, and I mean NOTHING, will allow Google to properly push any new gmail messages to the mail.app. Or the app doesn't fetch properly. Or anything. Basically whenever I get a new email I get no notice about it on my Mac, no matter what setting it's on.

Googling shows me this is a known issue, but I couldn't find any solutions. Anyone here encounter this?

ICloud Drive works more or less like Dropbox. A file is on your computer, but synced with its version in icloud.

MoodyFog

So I suppose you have put "get automatically" on the Mail App preferences?

And did you try that with your Mail App open or not? I know mine won't find anything unless Mail is open

jts

...hate me...
When did Dropbox become so resource-hungry?

I was getting my fans spinning this morning while I was just browsing, then I remembered I had open Dropbox last night (I've not been using it lately).

As soon as I quit Dropbox, the fans spin down and stop.

So I suppose you have put "get automatically" on the Mail App preferences?

And did you try that with your Mail App open or not? I know mine won't find anything unless Mail is open

I've had it set to both get automatically and in set intervals, but it will never alert me when I get new mail. Yeah it'll alert me when the app is open, but it's supposed to also do that when the app is closed, and so far it's not.

ramyeon

I've had it set to both get automatically and in set intervals, but it will never alert me when I get new mail. Yeah it'll alert me when the app is open, but it's supposed to also do that when the app is closed, and so far it's not.
I don't think I've ever got notifications from Mail.app when it's closed down completely. It doesn't function like iMessage or FaceTime in that respect.

I just set the Mail.app to open on startup in the background.

I don't think I've ever got notifications from Mail.app when it's closed down completely. It doesn't function like iMessage or FaceTime in that respect.

I just set the Mail.app to open on startup in the background.

Weird, guess I was just making assumptions. Alright, thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, sadly Mail on OS X doesn't have a background process like iOS does. Sucks. It should be optional. It only makes sense.

Same with iTunes syncing. Though that's a whole separate can of worms that would really require a better iTunes than what we have.

But the Mail thing is odd since it's the only mutual app (Besides iTunes) that doesn't do its stuff in the background.

EmiPrime

Not sure I understand your issue but Airmail 2 is much better than Mail.app for Gmail.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When did Dropbox become so resource-hungry?

I was getting my fans spinning this morning while I was just browsing, then I remembered I had open Dropbox last night (I've not been using it lately).

As soon as I quit Dropbox, the fans spin down and stop.
I haven't had any problems like that.

But I have been getting a lot of crash dialogs saying DropBox crashed, but not the menubar app. I guess a background process or something. This was before I installed 10.10.2 beta.

Not sure I understand your issue but Airmail 2 is much better than Mail.app for Gmail.

My issue was I had incorrectly assumed that the Mail.app had some sort of background process for checking for and pushing new messages like iOS, when it doesn't. I felt like it was a safe assumption on my part, but there you go. I was able to configure it to my liking and I guess I'll just leave it open in the background or rely on my phone for notifications of new emails, no big deal

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's nice and all, but how many apps are even left that aren't Retina yet that would even work with it?

All I have is PhotoShop CS3 (I doubt that would work on it at all) and CrashPlan. (Which is Java and would also not benefit from it since the only non-Retina elements are the image resources. Java takes care of the UI.) And I guess Steam, but once again, I doubt it'd be affected since it uses its own UI.

Also PTH PasteBoard which I stopped using (And switched to the horribly inferior and limited iClip) because they gave up on the application again which sucks ass. Especially since I spent $24 on it just this year.

Side note: All I want is a good multiple clipboard recorder that works well, has a large limit and doesn't look like it just got off the Skeuomorphism train. Something that does one single thing. Records every single thing I copy and keeps them all in a list. PTH was the best at this. But when the world went Retina and 64-bit, he decided to fall asleep at the keyboard and now the app is dead... again. (And super buggy on Yosemite) Fucking hell. At least iClip works for now, but I hate how it works.

Karram

I recently sold my PC and backed up all the important stuff on a Hard drive. Today I decided to connect the hard drive to my MacBook and I got a message saying: "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" I go to disk utility and the external hard drive shows up, but the partitions are grey out. Can someone help me out ?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I recently sold my PC and backed up all the important stuff on a Hard drive. Today I decided to connect the hard drive to my MacBook and I got a message saying: "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" I go to disk utility and the external hard drive shows up, but the partitions are grey out. Can someone help me out ?
Make sure it still works by plugging it into a PC. What did you format it as. OS X doesn't do NTFS out of the box. But it does FAT. If it's not FAT, you will need a third-party filesystem driver. There's a few NTFS drivers available.

(I really wish OS X would just support NTFS out of the box. Then again it'd be nice if Windows also supported HFS. At least for reading. Everyone could just get along.)

Karram

Make sure it still works by plugging it into a PC. What did you format it as. OS X doesn't do NTFS out of the box. But it does FAT. If it's not FAT, you will need a third-party filesystem driver. There's a few NTFS drivers available.

(I really wish OS X would just support NTFS out of the box. Then again it'd be nice if Windows also supported HFS. At least for reading. Everyone could just get along.)
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure but if it's FAT or NTFS. I installed Paragon(NTFS for Mac) but still the hard drive doesn't show up. Any other suggestions ?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure but if it's FAT or NTFS. I installed Paragon(NTFS for Mac) but still the hard drive doesn't show up. Any other suggestions ?
Plug it into another Windows machine and make sure it's not dead or broken. And check the format.

Anyway, I just installed the 10.10.2 PB onto my iMac and with 4 minutes left of the installation it loaded up all the programs I had running before, but in the background. Meaning it started up Safari, with a YouTube tab open, and starts playing the video. But I couldn't stop it, because the install was still running and covering the screen. Lovely. Beta!

Fuchsdh

Well, there's ExFat. Works pretty well for schlepping files between the multiple computers at our office.

I don't care if MS supports HFS because all signs points to Apple discarding that in the near future (I mean, if they scrapped Objective-C, I can only imagine a new filesystem is actually in the cards, after the disappointment of nearly getting ZFS.)

I don't care if MS supports HFS because all signs points to Apple discarding that in the near future (I mean, if they scrapped Objective-C, I can only imagine a new filesystem is actually in the cards, after the disappointment of nearly getting ZFS.)

They didn't scrap Objective-C.

OS X will read NTFS out of the box, so sounds like there is something corrupt with that disk. Would use recovery software in Windows or Linux.

Careful with exFAT cause nearly nothing but computers support it. So if you use the hard drive to plug into a smart TV, media device, gaming console, etc. it will not work.

It's kinda disappointing how much of a mess these hard drive file systems are. My TV supports FAT and NTFS. So I'm either stuck with files smaller than 4GB or I have to boot into Windows every time I want to transfer files onto my hard drive.

Fuchsdh

Careful with exFAT cause nearly nothing but computers support it. So if you use the hard drive to plug into a smart TV, media device, gaming console, etc. it will not work.

It's kinda disappointing how much of a mess these hard drive file systems are. My TV supports FAT and NTFS. So I'm either stuck with files smaller than 4GB or I have to boot into Windows every time I want to transfer files onto my hard drive.

That's why Smart TVs are something I stay well clear of. Even though the computer market has matured, it still moves fairly fast with standards and software. Why I would want to buy a piece of hardware with probably questionable software support down the road and issues like the filesystem stuff you mentioned means I'd much rather just get something dumb I can plug smart things into.

Deception

Hey I just got an iPad and have a question. Is there any way to disable the sign in every time I try to download a new app? Can't seem to find out how to do it

Fuchsdh

Hey I just got an iPad and have a question. Is there any way to disable the sign in every time I try to download a new app? Can't seem to find out how to do it

If you have an iPad Air 2 you've got TouchID, which means you can just use your fingerprint and save time. Otherwise, sorry. Got to enter it (although I believe you can adjust the duration that sign-in allows further purchases.)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

Futureman

I go to NeoGAF like EVERY FRICKIN' SECOND and it refuses to show up in my Safari "Frequently Visited" section. UGHHH TIM COOK FIX THIS NOW.

Sch1sm

I go to NeoGAF like EVERY FRICKIN' SECOND and it refuses to show up in my Safari "Frequently Visited" section. UGHHH TIM COOK FIX THIS NOW.

Just pin it to your top sites and get it over with already. Or bookmark/favourite and hit cmd + whatever # it is in the order of your bookmarks. For me it's cmd + 2, for example.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why does the Messages window move to where I click if I had just clicked near the minimize button? That shit is annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I will never understand what kind of algorithm they use to choose these sites. It never shows the ones you want and will put one you only visited once for some inexplicable reason.

I just set the NTP to show my bookmarks and Reading List in the side and forget about it.

Fuchsdh

Has anyone been having issues with Safari responsiveness? Every so often it locks up my entire system for a few seconds recently. I've also noticed severe lag entering text in NeoGAF, but I think that's some weird issue with the quick reply script.

EDIT: Also wondering if it's ClickToFlash causing issues, given that I clean installed Yosemite and that's the only new extension I've added...

Vashetti

Banned
Has anyone been having issues with Safari responsiveness? Every so often it locks up my entire system for a few seconds recently. I've also noticed severe lag entering text in NeoGAF, but I think that's some weird issue with the quick reply script.

EDIT: Also wondering if it's ClickToFlash causing issues, given that I clean installed Yosemite and that's the only new extension I've added...

Exact issues I'm having.

Though I removed ClickToFlash a little while ago. Still occurring.

Well, there's ExFat. Works pretty well for schlepping files between the multiple computers at our office.

Finally, John Siracusa will be able to die happy.

Top Bottom