• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

When my new SSD arrives next month I'm going to have to downgrade / perform a clean install of Mavericks due to the way they handle TRIM in Yosemite. Oh well. Yosemite won't really be missed.

Sch1sm

Gifs are killing me here on Chrome

There's been so many threads about that, even for people on Windows. But Mac and Chrome don't really get along in general. Switch to another browser. Doesn't have to be Safari if you're massive on customising and dev tools, etc, but Google Chrome has been a problem for so long I doubt anything will be fixed.

Anyone have a legit download link of a copy of Yosemite?

I just erased my drive to reformat as I never did a clean install when I upgraded to to Yosemite.

Instead of quitting disk utility after erase, I restarted and now I have the black screen with white circle in middle.
Tried the pram reset and it didn't work.

What should I do? A bootable drive should work, right?

edit: I guess the internet recovery method worked. Command+Option+R.

so happy i dont have to drive to an apple store now.

edit2: lame. Internet recovery downloaded Mavericks instead. Now I gotta download Yosemite .

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Here's something odd/cool to be careful with. If someone texts you and other people at the same time, if you read the msg on the Mac it actually contains all the numbers they sent the msg to. I got a 'Happy New Year' text last night and replied using the Mac, I realised later my IPhone sent the reply to 20 numbers. For the next 2 hours all I got were 'who's this?' messages.

I have just been manually over provisioning SSDs and not worrying about it.

I might just return the SSD and go for a large hybrid drive, at least until I can figure out how to get SSDs to work properly in OSX. At that point I'll have likely bought into the newer generation hardware that has this stuff built in, so it'll be a moot point.

until I can figure out how to get SSDs to work properly in OSX.

... put disk in, partition it, use it. If it isn't over provisioned enough to your liking from the factory (120/128GB, 240/256GB, etc), just leave some space unallocated in the partition table (small gotcha: a fresh install might make a stupidly large recovery partition out of the free space, use the command line diskutil to shrink it to its minimum). There are lots of people that do this in Windows and Linux as well.

... put disk in, partition it, use it. If it isn't over provisioned enough to your liking from the factory (120/128GB, 240/256GB, etc), just leave some space unallocated in the partition table (small gotcha: a fresh install might make a stupidly large recovery partition out of the free space, use the command line diskutil to shrink it to its minimum). There are lots of people that do this in Windows and Linux as well.

I'll probably go for that option and see how it goes in terms of performance. I assume even with slow down the write performance will still be substantially faster than a HDD.

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one dealing with these little bugs: http://yosemiteskinks.tumblr.com/

Been up since 5am watching old Macworld and WWDC keynotes. It's amazing to see the progress OSX has gone through. Looking back at WWDC 2001 and they showed off an early version of Cheetah (with that hideous dock). Good times.

On the subject of Yosemite, it's whatever to me, I kinda like Mavericks more but meh.

My Mac keeps freezing and restarting whenever it's moved slightly, anyone had this issue?

Loose memory or loose SATA cable?

A loose power cable will cause it to shut off instead (my Mac Pro tower does the latter— bumping it or dropping something on it will make it turn off).

is it safe to install beta 10.10.2?

Christ no.

There's like no incentive for you to do so anyway. It's got no new features and it's (much) less stable than a public release, lol.

And this one's especially bad - breaks a bunch of third-party apps.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, don't bother with 10.10.2 yet. It's a bit buggy. As soon as the final comes out I might switch back to the normal seed and only use the PB when major versions come out.

Big post by Marco Arment getting a lot of circulation right now:

http://www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground

All about how Apple's pressure to have major annual releases for iOS and OS X is keeping stuff buggier and less stable than it should be. Very much worth a read - I'd love another Snow Leopard to happen.

The problem isn't only the rapid release cycle. Part of the issue is Apple lowered/eliminated the barrier of entry of being a day-one adopter of a new OS for mainstream users, and, guess what? Your sister and dad aren't going to understand the risks of going into a new x.0 OS day-one.

Another Snow Leopard release is not what we need to have happen, and I think you have a misunderstanding of what Snow Leopard was. It was, in a large part, a complete rewrite of the OS to a modern codebase. What is more buggier than that? And in fact, Snow Leopard was a buggy mess until the 10.6.4 Graphics Update, and more specifically, 10.6.5.

If you want a under the hood "refinement" release like Snow Leopard, we just got two of them with Mountain Lion, and, an even better comparison, Mavericks....

A lot of these complaints are simply cyclical. We still haven't had the major bug fix release for OS X 10.10, and only a handful of fixes for iOS 8.

That's not to say that there isn't a point to that we aren't reaching the same level of stability per OS as we were when we were on a two-year release cycle. Apple is doing things on the other side of the release to address this, however, with public betas effectively extending the lifespan of an OS release by another 3-5 months. Unfortunately, for the mainstream users who have been desensitized to the word "Beta" and decide to wipe their computers for a beta OS, this also furthers the perception of instability.

Honestly, I think the final step that Apple may need to take to resolve this perception of instability is to not push new OS X or iOS releases to mainstream users until 10.x.1 or x.0.1. Make the update available to those who seek it by running Software update, but don't give my parents and sister a notification of a new update being available until the major day-one bugs have been patched.

EmiPrime

I haven't had any problems with Yosemite post-beta.

I've completely gone off ios but I love OS X as much as I've always have.

Fuchsdh

The problem isn't only the rapid release cycle. Part of the issue is Apple lowered/eliminated the barrier of entry of being a day-one adopter of a new OS for mainstream users, and, guess what? Your sister and dad aren't going to understand the risks of going into a new x.0 OS day-one.

Another Snow Leopard release is not what we need to have happen, and I think you have a misunderstanding of what Snow Leopard was. It was, in a large part, a complete rewrite of the OS to a modern codebase. What is more buggier than that? And in fact, Snow Leopard was a buggy mess until the 10.6.4 Graphics Update, and more specifically, 10.6.5.

If you want a under the hood "refinement" release like Snow Leopard, we just got two of them with Mountain Lion, and, an even better comparison, Mavericks....

A lot of these complaints are simply cyclical. We still haven't had the major bug fix release for OS X 10.10, and only a handful of fixes for iOS 8.

That's not to say that there isn't a point to that we aren't reaching the same level of stability per OS as we were when we were on a two-year release cycle. Apple is doing things on the other side of the release to address this, however, with public betas effectively extending the lifespan of an OS release by another 3-5 months. Unfortunately, for the mainstream users who have been desensitized to the word "Beta" and decide to wipe their computers for a beta OS, this also furthers the perception of instability.

Honestly, I think the final step that Apple may need to take to resolve this perception of instability is to not push new OS X or iOS releases to mainstream users until 10.x.1 or x.0.1. Make the update available to those who seek it by running Software update, but don't give my parents and sister a notification of a new update being available until the major day-one bugs have been patched.

It's interesting reading Marco's column because he's entirely fixated on the developer/power user side of the equation. MacRumors is filled with power users who flash video cards, upgrade iMac hard drives, and swap processor trays on Mac Pros; they are understandably riled up by Apple's unnecessary moves to lock down their products like the new Mac Mini. And yet... Mac sales are through the roof. You have to accept that your opinion is kind of irrelevant. In a similar way, I don't think inside baseball of app development or the issues with the App Store really matter much to general users, or at least not in a way that is quantifiable; after all, reading stuff about App Store curation, would you believe that the Android Marketplace is somehow a beacon of cleanliness by comparison?

And finally, regarding OS upgrades, people are still not going to upgrade that willingly, even as Apple has removed almost all the friction from the process. My aunt and uncle are still on 10.6. Siracusa says that his holidays are filled with installing new software and backup solutions on parents' computers. There exists a legion of people out there who only have moved away from XP because some kindly son or daughter just up and swapped out their old computer one day, and changed things.

So while I agree there are ways I wish Apple would improve in almost every respect, I think it needs to be acknowledged that these are only big deals for a much smaller, much more vocal segment of the total market.

I myself think a two-year cycle for OS X upgrades would probably be fine; I miss the days we got above a 10.X.5 release. But I don't think it's the timing that's the real issue at all.

I do think there's some basic function-grouping stuff Apple could do to make future improvements and fixes a lot easier.

The upcoming Photos app, for instance, is a really good idea for the long term even though it'll probably be hella buggy in the short term.

I think OS X needs to unbundle iTunes into separate media store, App Store, music player, and video player apps like iOS has, plus background sync services. Right now it's comically bloated *and* it's monopolizing a bunch of stuff that should be handled at an OS level.

It's interesting reading Marco's column because he's entirely fixated on the developer/power user side of the equation. MacRumors is filled with power users who flash video cards, upgrade iMac hard drives, and swap processor trays on Mac Pros; they are understandably riled up by Apple's unnecessary moves to lock down their products like the new Mac Mini. And yet... Mac sales are through the roof. You have to accept that your opinion is kind of irrelevant. In a similar way, I don't think inside baseball of app development or the issues with the App Store really matter much to general users, or at least not in a way that is quantifiable; after all, reading stuff about App Store curation, would you believe that the Android Marketplace is somehow a beacon of cleanliness by comparison?

And finally, regarding OS upgrades, people are still not going to upgrade that willingly, even as Apple has removed almost all the friction from the process. My aunt and uncle are still on 10.6. Siracusa says that his holidays are filled with installing new software and backup solutions on parents' computers. There exists a legion of people out there who only have moved away from XP because some kindly son or daughter just up and swapped out their old computer one day, and changed things.

So while I agree there are ways I wish Apple would improve in almost every respect, I think it needs to be acknowledged that these are only big deals for a much smaller, much more vocal segment of the total market.

I myself think a two-year cycle for OS X upgrades would probably be fine; I miss the days we got above a 10.X.5 release. But I don't think it's the timing that's the real issue at all.
1. MacRumors is not filled with power users.

2. The second half of your argument is completely based upon anecdotal evidence that people aren't willingly updating their devices, which is completely incorrect, given that iOS 7, for example, a month into it's release was already on 74% of devices.

Fuchsdh

1. MacRumors is not filled with power users.

2. The second half of your argument is completely based upon anecdotal evidence that people aren't willingly updating their devices, which is completely incorrect, given that iOS 7, for example, a month into it's release was already on 74% of devices.

People installing third-party SSDs, flashing their own video cards, and performing processor swaps fit my definition of people outside the average Mac consumer.

As to your statistics, iOS adoption stats (like Android's) are measured through app store visits. They're not actually reflective of everyone using iOS devices.

The thing that irks me about OSX's development schedule is that it has been 2 and half months since Yosemite's public release and the small bugs (graphical mostly) still haven't been ironed out. These seem like things that should've been handled pretty quickly.

The thing that irks me about OSX's development schedule is that it has been 2 and half months since Yosemite's public release and the small bugs (graphical mostly) still haven't been ironed out. These seem like things that should've been handled pretty quickly.
I do t ever remember a time when Apple was fast to fix GPU driver issues. Certainly not during my 5 years of MBP ownership.

Number45

Not to mention the infuriating wifi issue of course. :/

The downside of releasing a new OS a month before the holidays...

Ambitious

In the time it takes Safari/iCloud to update the list of tabs on my other devices, I could take those devices, copy-paste every single tab into an email, and send it to myself. If it even updates the list, which most of the time it doesn't. I have no idea how this is supposed to work: Is it supposed to update the list immediately when you open/close a new tab or when you navigate to another site? That's what I would expect. Or does it update periodically? Or only if the iDevice is in standby mode? I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. It's unreliable. It just doesn't work.

Also, closing tabs remotely has stopped working altogether, but only on iOS. The Close button appears when I swipe to the left, but upon tapping it, the button just disappears again. Nothing else happens.
Of course I tried restarting Safari, restarting the devices, logging out from iCloud and logging in again, but that didn't do anything.

Also, as my internet connection is semi-broken right now, I figured this might be a good opportunity to try Instant Hotspot. But guess what? It doesn't work. Sure, I can manually enable the hotspot on my phone and enter the password on my Mac. That works. But that's not new. Instant Hotspot is new. And it just doesn't work. The phone doesn't show up in the WiFi menu on my Mac. Doesn't matter how often I disable/re-enable WiFi or Bluetooth on any of the two devices.

GWX

My Mac mini (late 2012, quad-core, 1 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM) has become very unresponsive ever since I installed OS X Yosemite back when it was released. Mavericks had awesome memory management, and I don't think that it ever used swap to HDD in my normal workflow, which is Safari with 5 or so tabs, iTunes, Mail and a couple of other lightweight apps. However, Yosemite uses swap all the fucking time, and my Mac slows down to a crawl every time this happens. Right now, with Safari with 2 tabs, iTunes, Mail, Activity Monitor and third party apps such as RogueAmoeba's LineIn, BetterTouchTool and iStats Menus, used memory sits at 3.68 GB, compressed memory at 611.9 MB and swap used at 144,8 MB =( Fucking Safari main process is taking almost 700 MB, and WindowServer loves to leak memory too (right now it's at 200MB, but I've seen it coming close to 1 GB). Fix yo shit, Apple.

Elchele

My Mac mini (late 2012, quad-core, 1 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM) has become very unresponsive ever since I installed OS X Yosemite back when it was released. Mavericks had awesome memory management, and I don't think that it ever used swap to HDD in my normal workflow, which is Safari with 5 or so tabs, iTunes, Mail and a couple of other lightweight apps. However, Yosemite uses swap all the fucking time, and my Mac slows down to a crawl every time this happens. Right now, with Safari with 2 tabs, iTunes, Mail, Activity Monitor and third party apps such as RogueAmoeba's LineIn, BetterTouchTool and iStats Menus, used memory sits at 3.68 GB, compressed memory at 611.9 MB and swap used at 144,8 MB =( Fucking Safari main process is taking almost 700 MB, and WindowServer loves to leak memory too (right now it's at 200MB, but I've seen it coming close to 1 GB). Fix yo shit, Apple.

Go back to Mavericks. I did and have no regrets, I love Mavericks

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Have anybody experienced the front camera light turn on from your MBP? Mines came on last night without using any software that required it or me manually accessing it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Have anybody experienced the front camera light turn on from your MBP? Mines came on last night without using any software that required it or me manually accessing it.
Not unless you launched Photobooth, FaceTime or accidentally clicked the photos section in an open dialog and clicked record. It'd be pretty hard to do those without noticing.

A long shot is that you gave permission to access your system to a rogue application you downloaded.

Open Activity Monitor and check for any questionable processes. And Google the names of ones you're unsure of. Is it still on? Has it happened more since?

Fuchsdh

Go back to Mavericks. I did and have no regrets, I love Mavericks

Yeah there's nothing wrong with sticking with the OS behind for stability reasons. I only jumped to Yosemite with the .1 version because of the iOS 8 features with my new iPhone and the new design. Works well on my Mac Pro but jumping in comes with risks.

Vashetti

Banned
So uh, my Macbook has been freezing when it gets moved, with occasional graphical glitches on the screen when that happens.

Sometimes it doesn't wake up from sleep and does three beeps, then repeats.

When closing the lid, it sometimes doesn't seem to go to 'sleep' and remains on, getting hotter and hotter and the fans going crazy.

Am I fucked?

mrkgoo

So uh, my Macbook has been freezing when it gets moved, with occasional graphical glitches on the screen when that happens.

Sometimes it doesn't wake up from sleep and does three beeps, then repeats.

When closing the lid, it sometimes doesn't seem to go to 'sleep' and remains on, getting hotter and hotter and the fans going crazy.

Am I fucked?

The three beeps usually indicates RAM issues. Judging by your symptoms, it may be poorly seated, hence the issues when moving.

It's not a good sign, because data that passes through bad or dodgy RAM can corrupt your file system.

The three beeps usually indicates RAM issues. Judging by your symptoms, it may be poorly seated, hence the issues when moving.

It's not a good sign, because data that passes through bad or dodgy RAM can corrupt your file system.
I had zero problems with the RAM until after I sent my MBP off for repair. When I got it back it was fine for a few days until I got the extreme graphical glitches, it froze up, and then the repeated beeps. I had to shut it all down and reseat the RAM sticks. Since then it hasn't had a problem (I even ran a memory test on the sticks).

Curiously it crashed when running flash videos.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Does anyone have any thoughts on my OS X issue?

I'd really appreciate some help!
I can't remember the last time I got a virus. I'm always extremely thoughtful in my computer use, and I don't install random nonsense.

Having said that, I have come across a strange problem and I'd like GAF's thoughts on it:

-Rarely (once every 3 or 4 days) I will be redirected to a "spam" website. One of those bogus health/nonsense websites.

-Oddly enough, it does not happen on a click. This is what confuses me. If I hit a site and I was redirected, I could understand. But to just randomly access a new website? Seems super strange.

-GAF is usually my go-to site on the internet, so as of now it's only site I've noticed this problem.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I've checked my Safari extensions, did a malware search, googled for similar cases and came up with nothing.

I'm maybe concerned there is some javascript randomly being run behind the scenes? Not sure.

What say you, GAF?

Ashhong

I'll probably go for that option and see how it goes in terms of performance. I assume even with slow down the write performance will still be substantially faster than a HDD.

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one dealing with these little bugs: http://yosemiteskinks.tumblr.com/

So I have had an SSD in my MBP for a while with Yosemite, and just installed a new one the other day. I've never done any adjustments for over provisioning whatever that means. Am I missing something?

I came here to ask though, is it normal to see a loading bar under the Apple every time I book the laptop? I can't remember right but before I think it booted with my SSD in a few seconds. Now it sits at the loading bar for a good 10 seconds. Seems odd...is it a Yosemite thing?

Fuchsdh

So I have had an SSD in my MBP for a while with Yosemite, and just installed a new one the other day. I've never done any adjustments for over provisioning whatever that means. Am I missing something?

I came here to ask though, is it normal to see a loading bar under the Apple every time I book the laptop? I can't remember right but before I think it booted with my SSD in a few seconds. Now it sits at the loading bar for a good 10 seconds. Seems odd...is it a Yosemite thing?

The loading bar is a Yosemite thing; dunno about the duration significance (it seems of varying length on my system.)

... just installed a new [SSD] the other day. I've never done any adjustments for over provisioning whatever that means. Am I missing something?

It'll just wear out faster. Faster than what, I can't tell you. I've only just started doing it as the reduced price has allowed enough excess space to allow it. The SSDs in my personal Macs are not over provisioned.

Now it sits at the loading bar for a good 10 seconds. Seems odd...is it a Yosemite thing?

No, it's a "you just put a new boot volume in your Mac and its looking for the old one to boot from preferentially and too dumb to remember which disk it picked automatically when it couldn't find the old one last time" thing.

Go find "startup disk" in System preferences and select your new disk and it will boot as fast as it used to.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Odd - I can't right click my background anymore. Double finger click functionality works everywhere else, just not on my wallpaper.

WTF did I do?

Ashhong

It'll just wear out faster. Faster than what, I can't tell you. I've only just started doing it as the reduced price has allowed enough excess space to allow it. The SSDs in my personal Macs are not over provisioned.

No, it's a "you just put a new boot volume in your Mac and its looking for the old one to boot from preferentially and too dumb to remember which disk it picked automatically when it couldn't find the old one last time" thing.

Go find "startup disk" in System preferences and select your new disk and it will boot as fast as it used to.

Eh? There is only 1 startup disk in my Macbook so I don't think its a settings issue. Went to system pref and no other choice..

Top Bottom