• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

mrkgoo

Eh? There is only 1 startup disk in my Macbook so I don't think its a settings issue. Went to system pref and no other choice..

Make sure that under startup disk in system preferences that there is a piece of text that actually states your Macintosh HD (or whatever) running os x 10.10 is selected as startup disk.

For some reason when you do some things such as reset PRAM it can deselect your start up disk which can cause some delay at boot.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
For the new page: Strange issue in OS X:

Can't right-click my wallpaper. I can right-click everywhere else, but two finger click / ctrl+ click don't register on my wallpaper.

Tried verifying permissions, restarting, resetting PRAM.... no dice.

Any thoughts?

jon bones

Make sure your Finder is running. The desktop is part of it.

pretty sure i did a killall finder in the terminal to no avail

wouldn't a restart also reboot Finder?

this is a good thought, though. i'll check my Path Finder settings to see if it's supressing Finder somehow

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
pretty sure i did a killall finder in the terminal to no avail

wouldn't a restart also reboot Finder?

this is a good thought, though. i'll check my Path Finder settings to see if it's supressing Finder somehow
Is it really just the desktop that has no context menu? You can do it in other apps? Like Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Whatever or Path Finder and all the rest with no problems?

jon bones

Is it really just the desktop that has no context menu? You can do it in other apps? Like Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Whatever or Path Finder and all the rest with no problems?

Yep. I can ctrl click in every other app except the desktop. I can even access the context menu for items in my dockbar, just not the actual dekstop.

So strange

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
as suspected, Path Finder was suppressing Finder.

i really appreciate your help. after years of being able to troubleshoot windows, these solutions doesn't come too naturally yet.
Isn't Path Finder supposed to have an option to emulate the desktop too? You're supposed to kill the Finder (And remove it from the Dock and replace it with PF) anyway. But PF is supposed to give you a perfectly working desktop to replace it with.

jon bones

Isn't Path Finder supposed to have an option to emulate the desktop too? You're supposed to kill the Finder (And remove it from the Dock and replace it with PF) anyway. But PF is supposed to give you a perfectly working desktop to replace it with.

I'd rather not kill Finder and removing it from the Dock creates small visual glitches.

Instead, I leave Finder running, map PF to CMD+E (my muscle-memorized keybinding from W7) and just use PF as a replacement file manager.

I've always hated the lack of proper customisation of the icon view in finder, but for whatever reason, today I reached breaking point and am now actively looking for a way to improve it.

Tvmokfdl.png

Specifically, I want to be able to reduce or remove the border around the icons and decrease the grid spacing beyond the Yosemite's limit (pictured), so that more space is used by the icons themselves.

Anyone know of any scripts/mods that enable this?

Shagwell

Is there anyway to reduce the default zoom/text size in safari without using an extension?

On default the page looks like this and with the extension AllPagesZoom it looks like this this. The default is way too big and I prefer the crisp look of it smaller. The problem is with AllPagesZoom it zooms everything, not just text, so some website layouts get wonky and video players look funny.

The only advice I've found on the internet is how to make the default bigger but that's not what I'm after! My only damn gripe with Safari.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've always hated the lack of proper customisation of the icon view in finder, but for whatever reason, today I reached breaking point and am now actively looking for a way to improve it.

Tvmokfdl.png

Specifically, I want to be able to reduce or remove the border around the icons and decrease the grid spacing beyond the Yosemite's limit (pictured), so that more space is used by the icons themselves.

Anyone know of any scripts/mods that enable this?
None that I can find. I hate it too. The border is way too thick. And the spacing is too confined to the grid. It wastes space and looks bad. And when it's something like a GIF or PNG with transparency it looks even more wrong. The border should only be on JPGs and only a few pixels at most or optionally turned off. Like iPhoto. I was so sure when they went flat with Yosemite to match iOS 7 they'd remove it completely. It's too skeuomorphic. It represents a photograph. But GUESS WHAT APPLE? Not all image files are photos! Someone needs to tell DropBox this too because their iOS app shows all image files in your DropBox in the "Photos" view which makes no sense. NOT ALL IMAGES ARE PHOTOS! How can companies not figure this out? Just like not all video files are TV or movies. And not all MP3s are music or even Podcasts.

Also, I wish icon view could show more information in its title space. Right now you can only get the name and a single line in blue depending on the media type. (Dimensions for images, item count for folders, length for videos, etc...) Why can't we show other stuff too like the file size? And come on, why doesn't the text color change to make sure its always readable when you use a custom background color? That's like a simple oversight that should have been fixed 10 years ago... along with so many other stupid Finder quirks that even OS 9 did better 15 years ago.

I miss OS 9's Finder with its folders that could only exist once and would NEVER EVER EVER forget your settings. EVER. The fucking sidebar is the worst thing to happen to the Finder. It's always showing up when I don't want it and changing my folder settings for that folder then doesn't appear when I do want it. The sidebar should never appear unless I ask for it. And when I do it should not remember anything about the size of the window. Just because I had a folder in a rectangular sidebar window doesn't mean I want that shape to be remembered and override the perfect size I had the window set at when it was just the folder. Whoever is coding the Finder should have been fired years ago and replaced with people who know what they're doing. Every year I cross my fingers that it'll be fixed. Every year disappointment. They can't even get the zoom button to work properly. It's been broken for over 10 years and has been temporarily fixed twice. Temporarily. For 2 weeks each time. Then bam, back to broken.

I think 10.11 needs to be another Snow Leopard. No new features. Just FIX EVERYTHING THAT'S BROKEN and optimize. It probably won't be though.

Ambitious

None that I can find. I hate it too. The border is way too thick. And the spacing is too confined to the grid. It wastes space and looks bad. And when it's something like a GIF or PNG with transparency it looks even more wrong. The border should only be on JPGs and only a few pixels at most or optionally turned off. Like iPhoto. I was so sure when they went flat with Yosemite to match iOS 7 they'd remove it completely. It's too skeuomorphic. It represents a photograph. But GUESS WHAT APPLE? Not all image files are photos! Someone needs to tell DropBox this too because their iOS app shows all image files in your DropBox in the "Photos" view which makes no sense. NOT ALL IMAGES ARE PHOTOS! How can companies not figure this out? Just like not all video files are TV or movies. And not all MP3s are music or even Podcasts.

Also, I wish icon view could show more information in its title space. Right now you can only get the name and a single line in blue depending on the media type. (Dimensions for images, item count for folders, length for videos, etc...) Why can't we show other stuff too like the file size? And come on, why doesn't the text color change to make sure its always readable when you use a custom background color? That's like a simple oversight that should have been fixed 10 years ago... along with so many other stupid Finder quirks that even OS 9 did better 15 years ago.

I miss OS 9's Finder with its folders that could only exist once and would NEVER EVER EVER forget your settings. EVER. The fucking sidebar is the worst thing to happen to the Finder. It's always showing up when I don't want it and changing my folder settings for that folder then doesn't appear when I do want it. The sidebar should never appear unless I ask for it. And when I do it should not remember anything about the size of the window. Just because I had a folder in a rectangular sidebar window doesn't mean I want that shape to be remembered and override the perfect size I had the window set at when it was just the folder. Whoever is coding the Finder should have been fired years ago and replaced with people who know what they're doing. Every year I cross my fingers that it'll be fixed. Every year disappointment. They can't even get the zoom button to work properly. It's been broken for over 10 years and has been temporarily fixed twice. Temporarily. For 2 weeks each time. Then bam, back to broken.

I think 10.11 needs to be another Snow Leopard. No new features. Just FIX EVERYTHING THAT'S BROKEN and optimize. It probably won't be though.

That's what I've been saying for a while now. One big, well-tested release, only including bug fixes and performance improvements, nothing else. Not even a single tiny new feature.

But as you said, it won't happen. 10.11 will bring a new bag of half-assed crap that doesn't even work half the time, and it sure as hell won't fix old bugs.

image4iehw.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm sure I'll enjoy the crap out of any new features they add, especially ones that further tighten the link between OS X and iOS, but yeah, bugs bugs bugs.

I guess I still have faith? I mean what else am I going to do? Switch to the Windows ecosystem? Even if Windows 10 ends up being amazing (And the beta already is lightyears better than 8) I'd much rather be a Mac/iOS user. They just need to listen to their Public Beta testers more than they do and work harder when bugs are reported.

RevoDS

That's what I've been saying for a while now. One big, well-tested release, only including bug fixes and performance improvements, nothing else. Not even a single tiny new feature.

But as you said, it won't happen. 10.11 will bring a new bag of half-assed crap that doesn't even work half the time, and it sure as hell won't fix old bugs.

image4iehw.jpg
I get that it's fun to be cynical, but didn't we pretty much get that last year with Mavericks? It had few new features and those it had were precisely performance-oriented, like timer coalescing and stuff like that. It breathed fresh life into my aging '09 MBP at the time.

I think it's likely they'll do that again soon, especially considering the whispers about software quality...if that wasn't their plan, it's probably going to be.

mrkgoo

I generally agree, but a while back like in 10.5 or something I found a preference that puts info on icons in icon view at least for the desktop. Shows like resolution on images space remaining on drives... Would be cool if we got more options for that.
But generally no biggie.

I actually kind of like a bit of limitation in options. It makes troubleshooting for others so much easier.

This is going to seem like an odd question, but how in the bloody fuck do you install FileZilla?

I've been using cyberduck successfully for years, but recently I've been having connection issues and I want to try another client to narrow down if the issue is client-side or with my hosting.

FileZilla seems to be the go-to ftp application, so I've downloaded in the installer (and run through it multiple times) and fuck all has happened after trying to install bloody yahoo homepages and some zip program along the way. It says installation was successful, but nothing has seemingly been installed.

Anyone else able to give this a test run?

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Sch1sm

This is going to seem like an odd question, but how in the bloody fuck do you install FileZilla?

I've been using cyberduck successfully for years, but recently I've been having connection issues and I want to try another client to narrow down if the issue is client-side or with my hosting.

FileZilla seems to be the go-to ftp application, so I've downloaded in the installer (and run through it multiple times) and fuck all has happened after trying to install bloody yahoo homepages and some zip program along the way. It says installation was successful, but nothing has seemingly been installed.

Anyone else able to give this a test run?

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Downloaded perfectly fine for me. Opened up the .dmg, followed the prompts as you do. Waited for all 27mb, it installed, now FileZilla is staring at me.

Downloaded perfectly fine for me. Opened up the .dmg, followed the prompts as you do. Waited for all 27mb, it installed, now FileZilla is staring at me.

Well that's just bizarre. In the end I managed to find another link on their site to just the zipped application, so I managed to get it that way instead.

Fuchsdh

I generally agree, but a while back like in 10.5 or something I found a preference that puts info on icons in icon view at least for the desktop. Shows like resolution on images space remaining on drives... Would be cool if we got more options for that.
But generally no biggie.

I actually kind of like a bit of limitation in options. It makes troubleshooting for others so much easier.

What you're talking about is the "show item info" checkbox is the Finder view options (Cmd + J). It's definitely helpful and I use it all the time. Other than the desktop though... icon view is just a bad way of getting anything done.

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. Is it advisable to upgrade? Or rather, is there any reason to expect a decrease in performance if I do upgrade?

People forget that Snow Leopard wasn't a bugfix release, it was actually a massive rewrite of the kernel and a ton of the underpinnings of the OS and it was plenty buggy when it first came out.

But yeah, it was a huge improvement to the OS and made a huge huge difference going forward in Apple's ability to support it, and by the time it got to 10.6.8 it was the most rock-solid that OS X has ever been.

I *do* think, though, that 10.11 ought to focus on ways of streamlining the OS to make future support much easier. Kill the Dashboard, kill iTunes and turn it into OS-level sync services and separate Video, Music, Podcast, Media Store, and App Store apps... et cetera.

iOS 8 and Yosemite added a TON of new shit, and that's great, but it doesn't need to happen this time around. I still think that what's happening to iPhoto needs to happen to iTunes (and not having these giant bloated apps full of old code will make it much easier for Apple to iterate and support in the future).

Apart from that, it'd be nice to have the Siri function that almost made it into Mavericks and almost made it into Yosemite, and it'd be nice to have the Control Center function that almost made it into Yosemite, since we know there are already teams developing both of those things for OS X anyway. And a Mail app incorporating some of the UI advancement that we've seen from Inbox and Mailbox would be great.

For sheer short-term stability's sake, though, the best thing wouldn't be a Snow Leopard - it'd be to keep going with *no* major updates for a full two years. Think 10.10.8 instead of 10.11.

Like I said, though, for long-term stability's sake it's good to restructure some legacy stuff like iTunes and iPhoto. Fewer new APIs in the next one though, for sure.

Fuchsdh

People forget that Snow Leopard wasn't a bugfix release, it was actually a massive rewrite of the kernel and a ton of the underpinnings of the OS and it was plenty buggy when it first came out.

But yeah, it was a huge improvement to the OS and made a huge huge difference going forward in Apple's ability to support it, and by the time it got to 10.6.8 it was the most rock-solid that OS X has ever been.

I *do* think, though, that 10.11 ought to focus on ways of streamlining the OS to make future support much easier. Kill the Dashboard, kill iTunes and turn it into OS-level sync services and separate Video, Music, Podcast, Media Store, and App Store apps... et cetera.

iOS 8 and Yosemite added a TON of new shit, and that's great, but it doesn't need to happen this time around. I still think that what's happening to iPhoto needs to happen to iTunes (and not having these giant bloated apps full of old code will make it much easier for Apple to iterate and support in the future).

Apart from that, it'd be nice to have the Siri function that almost made it into Mavericks and almost made it into Yosemite, and it'd be nice to have the Control Center function that almost made it into Yosemite, since we know there are already teams developing both of those things for OS X anyway. And a Mail app incorporating some of the UI advancement that we've seen from Inbox and Mailbox would be great.

For sheer short-term stability's sake, though, the best thing wouldn't be a Snow Leopard - it'd be to keep going with *no* major updates for a full two years. Think 10.10.8 instead of 10.11.

Like I said, though, for long-term stability's sake it's good to restructure some legacy stuff like iTunes and iPhoto. Fewer new APIs in the next one though, for sure.

They'll slow down eventually. They did it before—while OS X certainly needed more rapid updates in the early days, the 10.0—10.4 progression was plenty rapid, it just wasn't punctuated yearly.

As for iTunes, I hear everyone talk about how they want to unbundle it, but to me that sounds like a mess. I have nothing against iTunes being the singular place for my movies, my music, my store—it just would be great to have it do it better—make it fast, make it light, and stick to some UI conventions. Maybe it makes more sense to unbundle it rather than rewrite what's under the hood completely, I dunno.

They'll slow down eventually. They did it before—while OS X certainly needed more rapid updates in the early days, the 10.0—10.4 progression was plenty rapid, it just wasn't punctuated yearly.

As for iTunes, I hear everyone talk about how they want to unbundle it, but to me that sounds like a mess. I have nothing against iTunes being the singular place for my movies, my music, my store—it just would be great to have it do it better—make it fast, make it light, and stick to some UI conventions. Maybe it makes more sense to unbundle it rather than rewrite what's under the hood completely, I dunno.

It's still got SoundJam MP code in it. It needs to be redone, trust.

And frankly, there's really nothing wrong with having it more appropriately mirror the iOS model, IMO.

Fuchsdh

It's still got SoundJam MP code in it. It needs to be redone, trust.

And frankly, there's really nothing wrong with having it more appropriately mirror the iOS model, IMO.

Difference is that the iPhone is the appliance. I want and need to manage my stuff on my computer, and there a level of interoperability saves me time.

Admittedly, I guess I'm both a minority in my use case as syncing to my phone (I remember going into an Apple store and having a Genius next to me explain to the customer how they were screwed because their phone was toast and they'd never so much as plugged it into a computer) and not in the "everything has been purchased from the Apple Store so it has perfect metadata and hi-rez art, etc."

Which reminds me, I recently discovered iTunes will swap music you've purchased (I assume due to rights issues). A copy of "Nessun Dorma" sounds different on my work computer (synched to iCloud) and on my local computer where I've got the old version. Two different performances. Grr.

so1337

Does anyone know a Terminal command for turning of the gaussian blur when viewing all application windows in mission control? It looks terrible and it annoys me.

Fuchsdh

Does anyone know a Terminal command for turning of the gaussian blur when viewing all application windows in mission control? It looks terrible and it annoys me.

IIRC there are maintenance applications that do it, but I dunno which one I saw it in (checked Tinkertool and OnyX and saw nothing.)

On the subject of maintenance applications, however, the Macheist bundle has one more day. At $14.99 it's a pretty great value if you only need one or two of the applications; there's a lot of great ones in this batch like uBar and TotalFinder, as well as Little Snitch.

http://macheist.com

Ambitious

IIRC there are maintenance applications that do it, but I dunno which one I saw it in (checked Tinkertool and OnyX and saw nothing.)

On the subject of maintenance applications, however, the Macheist bundle has one more day. At $14.99 it's a pretty great value if you only need one or two of the applications; there's a lot of great ones in this batch like uBar and TotalFinder, as well as Little Snitch.

Huh, apparently they removed it with Yosemite? There used to be a keyboard shortcut, CMD+ALT+CTRL+B. Doesn't work anymore.

so1337

Tinkertool seems pretty great but I doesn't seem to have that particular feature. Let me know if you remember which one you were thinking of.
Huh, apparently they removed it with Yosemite? There used to be a keyboard shortcut, CMD+ALT+CTRL+B. Doesn't work anymore.
Well, that's bizarre.

Admittedly, I guess I'm both a minority in my use case as syncing to my phone (I remember going into an Apple store and having a Genius next to me explain to the customer how they were screwed because their phone was toast and they'd never so much as plugged it into a computer) and not in the "everything has been purchased from the Apple Store so it has perfect metadata and hi-rez art, etc."

I 100% hear you there, but I actually think that background sync services built into the OS itself (so you don't have to open iTunes and iPhoto to sync your phone) would actually be *better* for your situation, and I speak as someone who also does plenty of physical syncing and backing up rather than doing it all through iCloud.

mrkgoo

What you're talking about is the "show item info" checkbox is the Finder view options (Cmd + J). It's definitely helpful and I use it all the time. Other than the desktop though... icon view is just a bad way of getting anything done.

I only ever use icon view on desktop. Finder is all about column view.

Another good example of what's weird about iTunes is that it has its own full media playback infrastructure instead of using AVKit/AVFoundation like QuickTime Player. Back when the Yosemite betas introduced a bug that broke AVFoundation, iTunes kept working just fine. God, such bloat.

Another good example of what's weird about iTunes is that it has its own full media playback infrastructure instead of using AVKit/AVFoundation like QuickTime Player. Back when the Yosemite betas introduced a bug that broke AVFoundation, iTunes kept working just fine. God, such bloat.

This has always been pretty dumb. Snow Leopard was going on about Hardware Acceleration for QuickTime, and then it wasn't until like a year or two ago when iTunes started celebrating how it now has Hardware Video Acceleration.

This has always been pretty dumb. Snow Leopard was going on about Hardware Acceleration for QuickTime, and then it wasn't until like a year or two ago when iTunes started celebrating how it now has Hardware Video Acceleration.
Yep. There's a lot of duplicate work going on, and unbundling iTunes would free up a lot of staff at Apple to work on improving software quality instead of building the same functionality twice in two different places.

Problem is, iTunes has to work on Windows, too.

Of course.

I think Apple could have a package installer for iOS Sync Services, a Media Store app, an App Store app, and iBooks/Video/Music apps.

Or just fork development and keep iTunes as a package deal on Windows but stop developing it that way for Mac (currently, as far as I can tell, it's basically one application compiled for each OS, which is why there are so many redundancies in the Mac version).

Right now, iTunes for Windows is effectively sabotaging the quality of the Mac experience (and arguably the iOS experience), and that should be unacceptable to Apple.

Of note: Yosemite apparently almost had Control Center added to it (as a replacement for the existing Apple menu, which sure is an interesting idea), and that *included* direct iTunes controls - something which would require deeper OS-level tie-in, I'm pretty sure, than the mini player window's overlay behavior or the iTunes icon's Dock-based contextual menu controls.

Ambitious

Of note: Yosemite apparently almost had Control Center added to it (as a replacement for the existing Apple menu, which sure is an interesting idea), and that *included* direct iTunes controls - something which would require deeper OS-level tie-in, I'm pretty sure, than the mini player window's overlay behavior or the iTunes icon's Dock-based contextual menu controls.

Yes, one of the leaked Yosemite images had Control Center in it:

I don't think it would require deeper OS integration, though. The current iTunes scripting API supports all the controls visible in this picture.

... that *included* direct iTunes controls - something which would require deeper OS-level tie-in...

I don't think it would require deeper OS integration, though. The current iTunes scripting API supports all the controls visible in this picture.

Yeah, lots of apps control iTunes playback. I played a lot of the indie game Redline, and it had key/controller binds for start/stop/next/prev back in 2006.

Fuchsdh

Or, to use my own service, Growltunes. Album art and song data in the menu bar and notifications, plus handy global shortcuts for changing tracks I've set to my num pad on my desktop.

9to5Mac are saying 10.10.2 should be out this week:

First, the new release adds the ability for iCloud Drive to be viewed in Time Machine. This means users will be able to track changes over time, and locate lost items that were previously in their iCloud Drive accounts. Next, Apple says that WiFi disconnection issues will be fixed in this release. Apple has been promising WiFi fixes for some time, but, based on recent history, it’s unclear whether this release will actually solve the issues users have been reporting.

Earlier this month, reports from security researchers revealed that OS X Yosemite’s enhanced Spotlight feature loads remote email content even with that preference disabled within the native Mail application. The release notes say that this issue is fixed in 10.10.2. Other fixes are included for some issues in VoiceOver, loading web page content in Safari, Bluetooth connectivity, and language switching.

Here are all of full release notes via Apple employees:

Resolves an issue that may cause WiFi to disconnect
Resolves an issue that may cause web pages to load slowly
Fixes an issue that caused Spotlight to load remote email content when the preference was disabled in Mail
Improves audio and video sync when using Bluetooth headphones
Adds the ability to browse iCloud Drive in Time Machine
Improves VoiceOver speech performance
Resolves an issue that causes VoiceOver to echo characters when entering text on a web page
Addresses an issue that may cause the input method to switch languages unexpectedly
Improves stability and security in Safari

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/26/os-x-...-time-machine-wi-fi-security-voiceover-fixes/

Top Bottom