• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think my battery life has gotten better, but maybe it's just because I'm not using IntelliJ all the time. :p

EmiPrime

Notifications are great. Notification Center itself, in its forms on iOS and OS X, doesn't get much use from me, because I'm not usually in a situation where my computer is idle without me there and I'm getting lots of them.

Same, I've been using Growl forever but I need to look at an archive of all those notifications. I always have Facebook, my email client and what not open so even if I am away from my machine if I have missed something I'll notice there much sooner.

I spoke too soon, 10.2 has't fixed the window bugs. A lot of the time I will click on a window and it won't become active or display on top. Also Preview still doesn't always close properly, so it needs to be force quit. Same bugs as on the first public beta build...

I get tons of freezing with iTunes and that stupid ass file picker dialogue box in Safari still has the bug where it keeps getting longer and longer

EmiPrime

I'm happy with Chrome on both my Macs. I don't know if the 64bit update changed things but battery life seems the same as with Safari to me.

I couldn't fix the dodgy key stroke issue I was having with Safari.

kuppy

I did this by accident the other day. Tapped the green bar on the iPhone and it took over the call.
Huh, okay. I tried tapping everything that seemed plausible and am pretty sure I tried this. But then again my iPhone sometimes tends to act weirdly while having a call. Thanks, will give it another go.

I hate iTunes 12.1. Why? Well, try to add a new album to your library and then change the album artist of the whole album, per example. Now watch the album getting duplicated with identical tags, one containing the first song and the other containing the rest. Fix? Delete the album and re-add it to the library.
I think it was like this before the update though. Some name switcheroos always did it for me, without deleting. But yeah, shouldn't be happening.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm not that poster, but maybe it's the lack of favicons, slightly weird developer tools, no back on backspace (though I have learned to use the gesture a bit more).
The icons can be put back easily with SafariStand.

The dev tools never seemed wrong to me, but whatever. I don't use them much at all anyway.

And backspace on back is silly anyway. Especially with Command+Z on "reopen tab". (What a godawful choice to make. So many times has it failed and ended up undoing my text entry instead of opening a tab and geeze, once you do anything else in the browser the option to even reopen the tab is gone forever. How can Apple not see this. It should be Command+Shift+T like every other browser.) It has its tendencies to backfire so to speak. I prefer Command+[. Though gestures do make more sense.

Ninja Dom

I get tons of freezing with iTunes and that stupid ass file picker dialogue box in Safari still has the bug where it keeps getting longer and longer

If I eject my iPhone 6 from iTunes using the eject button then I get a beach ball and iTunes quits unexpectedly. Just unplugging the iPhone without ejecting it first and iTunes is perfectly happy.

And stupid Feedback Assistant INSISTS that I have to change my Apple ID password before I can post any Feedback (which I'm not going to do). That in itself needs to be reported in Feedback Assistant.

Fuchsdh

Apple have released a beta for 10.10.3 that includes the photos app.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/05/apple-10-10-3-photos-app

At a guess, it would seem likely this'll be out around the same time as iOS 8.2/Apple Watch/ new 12 inch Air in March/April.

The Verge has a hands on with Photos:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7982735/apple-new-iphoto-announced-photos-app-for-mac

Interesting, after the whole freakout people were making about them removing specific mention of Photos.

haha wow:

B9GeVMGIcAA_ka5.png:large

Everything you need to know about Apple’s new Photos app for Mac
What’s new?
As mentioned before, this is a completely new app with changes to both its look and feel, and how you edit photos. But there are a few new features.

- If you're an iPhone or iPad shooter, there's now a way to sort between specialty photos and videos from Apple's newer devices. That includes things like panoramics, burst shots, slow motion, and timelapse video. This is basically the same thing you can do on iOS, now on Mac.
- Apple's changed up its shared Photo Stream section to look less like albums, and more of a running activity log — just like it does on iOS. The big difference here is that any shared albums you have with friends show up in the main source list instead of hidden away within the app.
- A new auto-crop tool that looks at your photo to figure out where the horizon is, then adjusts it according to the rule of thirds.
- A new zoomed out view for collections and years that makes thumbnails absolutely tiny. You can see what pictures are by clicking and scrubbing, just like how it works on iOS.
New square book formats if you're printing photos through Apple.

What’s missing?
Pretty much everything that is in iPhoto can be found in Photos, but some things did not make the cut. It’s worth noting we were using an early build of the software, and things could be added both in the public release and shortly after.

-The long-running star rating system has given way to favoriting photos with hearts, though existing star ratings are preserved from your old photos and accessible through search.
iPhoto’s odd built-in mail tool is also gone, and has been replaced with kicking photos out to Yosemite’s Mail app. That’s an extra thing to have set up outside of Photos, but on the plus side it means that those messages will actually show up in your sent folder instead of into the ether of Apple’s internet as they did before.
- The syncing tools for Flickr and Facebook, which let you set up an album to automatically post to either of those places, is gone. That’s been replaced with Apple’s system-wide sharing tools, which means a little more legwork is required if you're relying on iPhoto for keeping online albums up to date.
- You cannot geotag photos, though you can see, sort, and search by where photos were taken.
- Editing and color correction tools for photos on your videos, that’s still iMovie’s territory; you can’t even trim a video that’s stored in your library without jumping out to another app.

Pissed that editing geotags is gone, but at least i can edit burst photos now.

I wonder if face tagging is still in. Doubt it.

Really looking forward to switching myself over to Photos in the Cloud but I strongly suspect that it's going to be massively buggy at first.

Also, I'm surprised. I figured the Photos app was getting punted down the road to OS X 10.11 just like the rumored transit directions for 8.3 seem to have likely been punted down the road to iOS 9.

All the reviews say it looks like a good upgrade from iPhoto. Aperture users though: welcome to Lightroom. :)

Yeah, playing around with the beta, it's a much better iPhoto. I can imagine Aperture users being short changed.

Would like the ability to edit geotags, but they removed that from the iOS photos app so I'm not holding my breath.

giga

David Pogue has a video that shows it with a left hand sidebar btw. Looks more information dense, for power users.

I'm pretty sure that the Photos app is also intended to come along with an OS-wide API for selecting/editing photos (for sharing, uploads, et cetera), right? All part of detaching us from the file system :)

If that's the case, hopefully future versions of Lightroom, Photoshop, et cetera will be able to hook directly into the OS X photo library the way iOS apps can natively hook into your iOS photo library. And Lightroom/former Aperture users will still be able to gain the benefits of a universal library, Photos in the Cloud, et cetera while using a different app to do their sorting and editing.

Ninja Dom

Yeah, playing around with the beta, it's a much better iPhoto. I can imagine Aperture users being short changed.

Would like the ability to edit geotags, but they removed that from the iOS photos app so I'm not holding my breath.

And it works immediately from your existing iPhoto library? Does it keep that or convert it to a new Photos library?

Fuchsdh

I'm pretty sure that the Photos app is also intended to come along with an OS-wide API for selecting/editing photos (for sharing, uploads, et cetera), right? All part of detaching us from the file system :)

If that's the case, hopefully future versions of Lightroom, Photoshop, et cetera will be able to hook directly into the OS X photo library the way iOS apps can natively hook into your iOS photo library. And Lightroom/former Aperture users will still be able to gain the benefits of a universal library, Photos in the Cloud, et cetera while using a different app to do their sorting and editing.

You probably overestimate the willingness of Adobe to heavily invest in a Mac-only solution.

You probably overestimate the willingness of Adobe to heavily invest in a Mac-only solution.

It's not like they just hit Compile for X and Compile for Y when they're making newer versions of their Creative Suite applications. I'm saying it'd make sense for them to take advantage of features that are available to them. If anything, I suspect that importing from and saving back to the photo library is going to become incredibly easy to incorporate into existing apps and not something that takes a great deal of effort. Build it into the existing open/save dialogs in OS X, for example, and make it easy for a particular app to say "yes, i want to be able to open photos in the photo library and save them back to it."

A good example of something I don't expect Adobe to do is to invest in Apple's extensions system or the ability to universally apply and undo edits to a particular photo (Photos in the Cloud sets it so that photo edits are stored as metadata rather than as unrevokable edits to the image itself). They'll keep their image editing in-house within Photoshop or Lightroom or whatever, but access to the OS X photo library is just a no-brainer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In Photos, I assume it'll import your iPhoto Library. But can you start fresh and import photos yourself, BUT make sure they have their own dates even if that date is way back 10 or so years ago? Basically can you modify the date of your photos still?

And when you do import your library, is it smart enough to not import the photos that the database kept around but you deleted years ago and thought were gone but iPhoto was keeping duplicates for some reason without telling you and boating the database for no reason? Wow that's a run-on sentence.

Photos looks good.

But what I really really really really want stat is: bicycle and public transport routing in maps.

I'm looking forward to this as well, and I suspect it's something Apple really wanted to have in place for the Apple Watch launch (but likely won't be able to deliver until September, since iOS 8.3 seems to have fallen off the map and the feature isn't present in iOS 8.2).

In Photos, I assume it'll import your iPhoto Library. But can you start fresh and import photos yourself, BUT make sure they have their own dates even if that date is way back 10 or so years ago? Basically can you modify the date of your photos still?

And when you do import your library, is it smart enough to not import the photos that the database kept around but you deleted years ago and thought were gone but iPhoto was keeping duplicates for some reason without telling you and boating the database for no reason? Wow that's a run-on sentence.

I really want to jump to it. Guess I might install the beta tonight. Maybe. I haven't decided if I want to stay on the normal channels for point releases yet.

I strongly suggest waiting, or at least keeping a full backup of your entire iPhoto library.

And yeah, a duplicate/thumbnail find/delete feature would be wonderful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I strongly suggest waiting, or at least keeping a full backup of your entire iPhoto library.

And yeah, a duplicate/thumbnail find/delete feature would be wonderful.
I've been planning on completely eradicating my iPhoto Library for over a year now. Dragging all my photos into folders and just using that instead since I never used most of the features. But the faces part kept me from doing it. So I am hoping the import works well. My library is only 2GB and full of random photos for the most part. I've always hated the database and the way iPhoto and iTunes handled my photos. Especially since iTunes creates a cache on my hard drive inside my photo library the same exact size as the library itself for every iOS device I sync them to. Complete bullshit since my Mac, phone and tablet would basically make my library thrice its normal size for no reason at all.

I just want to see what my options are. Play around with it. I'll probably install the beta onto my iMac where I don't have my photos and do a test. Import some photos from the Finder manually and see what my options are before I go all in with my actual library. Check out the structure of the Photos library database compared to the iPhoto one. I'm just looking forward to leaving iPhoto behind once and for all. Hopefully it really is coming in April or so. I look forward to finally using the empty 4.8GB of iCloud space I still have.

Maybe we can hope that by this same time next year we'll be waiting for a Music app to replace most of iTunes. Wishful thinking? lol

I've been planning on completely eradicating my iPhoto Library for over a year now. Dragging all my photos into folders and just using that instead since I never used most of the features. But the faces part kept me from doing it. So I am hoping the import works well. My library is only 2GB and full of random photos for the most part. I've always hated the database and the way iPhoto and iTunes handled my photos. Especially since iTunes creates a cache on my hard drive inside my photo library the same exact size as the library itself for every iOS device I sync them to. Complete bullshit since my Mac, phone and tablet would basically make my library thrice its normal size for no reason at all.

I just want to see what my options are. Play around with it. I'll probably install the beta onto my iMac where I don't have my photos and do a test. Import some photos from the Finder manually and see what my options are before I go all in with my actual library. Check out the structure of the Photos library database compared to the iPhoto one. I'm just looking forward to leaving iPhoto behind once and for all. Hopefully it really is coming in April or so. Maybe we can hope that by this same time next year we'll be waiting for a Music app to replace most of iTunes. Wishful thinking? lol

Yeah, Photos for OS X + Photos in the Cloud is going to be a huge huge excuse for me to seriously clean, curate, and organize my photo library. It's gonna be great.

And yeah, very much hoping we get a simple, equally snappy Music app, that QuickTime Player gets turned into a Videos app, that the iOS and Apple Watch app stores get folded into the OS X App Store app, et cetera.

iTunes needs to burnt the ground and re-built. With there needing to be a Windows client I don't see it happening.

Eh, the problems caused by the Windows iTunes client are mostly that Apple's really clearly doing a write-once, compile-for-everywhere approach to developing it, and that leads to really shitty results over time. It's a totally understandable approach to developing it for 2003-era Apple who was still trying to get the iPod off the ground, but it's something Apple absolutely has the resources to outgrow nowadays, either by forking development and continuing the iTunes-as-a-single-app approach solely on Windows or by unbundling it into a set of thinner, sleeker apps and services on Windows as well.

It's one of those things that Apple is going to have to do eventually - the lack of dogfooding in iTunes and the increased bloat means that it's going to be fundamentally incapable of keeping up with the pace of development of practically everything else Apple is doing and still performing well.

giga

I saw that, yeah. New API, apparently most of UIKit on top of AppKit. Makes me way more excited for what iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 will bring to developers.
It was about time. AppKit dates back to nextstep from the 80s and has been a complaint ever since UIKit was revealed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, Photos for OS X + Photos in the Cloud is going to be a huge huge excuse for me to seriously clean, curate, and organize my photo library. It's gonna be great.

And yeah, very much hoping we get a simple, equally snappy Music app, that QuickTime Player gets turned into a Videos app, that the iOS and Apple Watch app stores get folded into the OS X App Store app, et cetera.
I just hope that Cloud Photo Library means it won't need that giant cache anymore. Cache that shit in the cloud, and don't make me use up my device space for photos when I can optionally just keep them on the cloud and view the thumbnails from my phone or tablet like it was a website and only download the photo (And cache it for a while) when I view it. But delete the cache occasionally so it doesn't bloat up my "Other" portion again. (Unless the cached photo smartly counts towards the Photos section instead like it hopefully should.)

iTunes should be blasted to pieces and each part rebuilt. Music should only deal with my music and music related stuff (Like music videos and album PDFs) and the music store. iOS apps should be moved over into App Store. Movies and TV shows should be rolled into a new QuickTime replacement (Who uses that app for general video watching? No one. I use VLC exclusively) Podcasts could have its own app. (That would, like on iOS, be optional download.) And the iOS syncing stuff should be gone. As soon as iCloud came out they should have moved syncing of iOS to the cloud and made it a real-time as-it-happens-and-changes-are-made sync. (And of course, make some competent Windows versions for once. iTunes on Windows is a terrible mess.)

Manual syncs are so 2010. I HATE having to open iTunes to sync my phone and update my iTunes library play counts and last played on all my songs just so it can re-sync that information back onto the phone itself and update the sort order of my playlists. (All of which are Smart playlists and sorted by last played. It's bullshit that iOS on the iPhone doesn't automatically reorder playlists when a song is played at all.)

It was about time. AppKit dates back to nextstep from the 80s and has been a complaint ever since UIKit was revealed.

Yeah. Developers are going to be super pleased about this. It's a much simpler change than everything introduced with iOS 8/Yosemite but it's going to be a deeply welcome one.

Manual syncs are so 2010. I HATE having to open iTunes to sync my phone and update my iTunes library play counts and last played on all my songs just so it can re-sync that information back onto the phone itself and update the sort order of my playlists. (All of which are Smart playlists and sorted by last played. It's bullshit that iOS on the iPhone doesn't automatically reorder playlists when a song is played at all.)

I know that iTunes Radio and Beats Music are supposedly going to coexist side-by-side, but I strongly suspect that the metadata- and playlist-syncing part of iTunes Match is going to become free for all users simply because it requires next to no cloud storage (compared to storing actual song files) and it's so damn convenient. And necessary, too, if Apple's gonna be competing with Spotify.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know if Photos will take on your "Dark Mode" preference for the whole UI? That would be amazing. Or does it have its own at least? I know even Windows 10 is going to have a dark mode too so it should be a standard thing. (Also, I really hope by 10.11 Apple pushes for people to develop their UI itself to take on dark mode as well. I'm sad it only applies to the menubar, Dock and some other UI elements. Also, give iOS a dark mode too. Dark mode for everybody! And to avoid problems, in an apps "Information" panel, simply put another checkbox under the "Open in Low Resolution" option to "Ignore Dark Mode Setting". That'll avoid any UI problems that might arise from apps that aren't ready and have UI images that might be pre-rendered with light backgrounds instead of alpha transparency.)

Does anyone know if Photos will take on your "Dark Mode" preference for the whole UI? That would be amazing. Or does it have its own at least? I know even Windows 10 is going to have a dark mode too so it should be a standard thing. (Also, I really hope by 10.11 Apple pushes for people to develop their UI itself to take on dark mode as well. I'm sad it only applies to the menubar, Dock and some other UI elements. Also, give iOS a dark mode too. Dark mode for everybody!)

IIRC the dark mode that was originally demoed for Yosemite was going to have much more ambitious darkening of basically all window elements (though it doesn't take much thought to imagine basically any custom UI elements breaking this and making it look like crap). Maybe we'll see something like that in 10.11.

If Photos.app *does* darken the whole damn thing in Dark Mode, then we've just learned one more thing about UXKit, I suppose.

Top Bottom