• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Fuchsdh

Oy. Never done one. Is that really the best option?

You can easily create a USB installer using Disk Maker X: http://diskmakerx.com (You may need to redownload the Yosemite installer from the Mac App Store.)

Then you just shut down your computer and restart holding down the Option key, and it will boot from the installer on the USB stick. You reformat and wipe your hard drive using Disk Utility and then install OS X on the wiped drive.

It's certainly a more intensive step, but it will essentially solve any problem that isn't hardware-based.

I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated just to upgrade an OS, ugh.

Sometimes things go wrong during installs, and over the course of time your computer is invariably going to get bloated with cruft of the system's making and your own. I clean install usually every other OS and it makes sure my computer is running the best it can. A lot of times the new OS isn't actually much slower than the old one if you take the time to clean up beforehand.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oy. Never done one. Is that really the best option? I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated just to upgrade an OS, ugh.
It's not complicated. Upgrading always works fine for me. But something is causing your lag so back up your stuff to an external hard drive, reboot holding ALT and select the Recovery disk, and reformat and reinstall. Then either A) migrate your old stuff over selectively when the time comes or B) copy things over manually piece by piece if you want to choose what to keep and keep an eye out for something that causes it to happen again. Might have just been a borked upgrade. It happens occasionally.

I always do the reformat and migrate option when doing major releases.

Oy. Never done one. Is that really the best option? I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated just to upgrade an OS, ugh.

It's upgrading an OS, to a new major version, no less. It's unfortunately something that IS complicated, despite how easy modern OS makers have pretended to make it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's upgrading an OS, to a new major version, no less. It's unfortunately something that IS complicated, despite how easy modern OS makers have pretended to make it.
Yep. It might seem simple for the end user, but the installer is doing a lot of complicated stuff behind the scenes. Things can break. They might not.

Either way, a clean install for the end user on OS X is braindead simple. I'd recommend doing it with every major release.

Theonik

Turns out that mouse lag issue I kept blaming on Yosemite was caused by Logitech's garbage wireless receiver. Whoops.
Those are so bad. I recall having serious stutter on one of their mouse/keyboard ones.
Issue was they couldn't deal with USB3 controllers or being near USB3 ports.

Those are so bad. I recall having serious stutter on one of their mouse/keyboard ones.
Issue was they couldn't deal with USB3 controllers or being near USB3 ports.

Yup, this is it exactly. I have the receiver plugged in to a USB extension cable instead of directly in the Macbook and it's working perfectly fine now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't use Aperture, but surely they plan on adding some of the big features to Photos then? Or is there a new industry standard people use that makes them think they should just dump it?

Theonik

I don't use Aperture, but surely they plan on adding some of the big features to Photos then? Or is there a new industry standard people use that makes them think they should just dump it?
I guess people use either Adobe Lightroom or buy a CC subscription these days. Aperture was a weird thing.

giga

Lightroom is the industry standard. Adobe will get almost that entire market.

I guess people use either Adobe Lightroom or buy a CC subscription these days. Aperture was a weird thing.

It made sense when it seemed like Apple was going to compete directly with Adobe in professional apps. I miss those days.

There are lots of other good to great options these days as well for photo development/editing alternatives.

Which is great, given the way that Adobe has screwed over Consumers, Prosumers, and small businesses with Creative Cloud.

Still rocking Photoshop CS6 Extended. I paid $200 for it. That's $16 a month, if I only kept it a year. Creative Cloud is $20 a month for a single app that stops working if I stop paying. I've had CS6 for 4 years, and it's still a champ.

Number45

Agreed with the value proposition (at least if you keep it for a while), but you can actually get both LR and PS for around £8/month currently.

Fuchsdh

Agreed with the value proposition (at least if you keep it for a while), but you can actually get both LR and PS for around £8/month currently.

If you're only using LR and PS, yeah. If you use the entire CC suite it becomes incredibly expensive.

Will be interesting to see three and four years down the road how many houses are still holding onto CS6 or how many might just pirate it.

mrkgoo

If you're only using LR and PS, yeah. If you use the entire CC suite it becomes incredibly expensive.

Will be interesting to see three and four years down the road how many houses are still holding onto CS6 or how many might just pirate it.

Usually one piece of software costs X per month, 2 is obviously 2X, but for 2.5X I belive it's te entire CC package.

Lightroom is the industry standard. Adobe will get almost that entire market.

Apple should add a Photos framework to OS X so any app with the right permissions can access your photo library instead of having to use the basic open/save dialog to handle that stuff. Would be a huge improvement to Lightroom, Pixelmator, you name it.

Theonik

Apple should add a Photos framework to OS X so any app with the right permissions can access your photo library instead of having to use the basic open/save dialog to handle that stuff. Would be a huge improvement to Lightroom, Pixelmator, you name it.
I don't know, lightroom and other apps like that have their own workflows so it wouldn't be a huge benefit.

MuggerMD

Banned
Got my first OS X machine last night (iMac 21.5 2.7ghz with 1TB Fusion dr).

Im sure I will be bugging the OS X community with a lot of questions to the veteran Mac users. So far I am loving it, but I have had issues configuring my Contacts, I have brought in Gmail, Facebook, Twitter etc. But there seems to be a lot of micro management in get everything aligned correctly. If I put the time to correct everything is it safe to say the my 'accurate contact list' now resides somewhere. Maybe icloud or does it reach out to each individual App and fix that contact. i.e. Google, FB, Twitter.

Also my work uses an Outlook exchange on my iPhone 6, and I would love to bring that into the mix of contacts with everything else I have. But my concern is overwriting existing work I have put in. Or I would wipe my work contacts on my iPhone 6.

Lastly I created a test group, and can't find the spot to delete it. Any advice on that?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Im going to follow up with a question regarding My Photo Share and iCloud media and where that stores, does it take up HD space. I disabled it on all my iOS devices cause Iw as losing 1GB+ to My Photo Share.

Got my first OS X machine last night (iMac 21.5 2.7ghz with 1TB Fusion dr).

Im sure I will be bugging the OS X community with a lot of questions to the veteran Mac users. So far I am loving it, but I have had issues configuring my Contacts, I have brought in Gmail, Facebook, Twitter etc. But there seems to be a lot of micro management in get everything aligned correctly. If I put the time to correct everything is it safe to say the my 'accurate contact list' now resides somewhere. Maybe icloud or does it reach out to each individual App and fix that contact. i.e. Google, FB, Twitter.

Also my work uses an Outlook exchange on my iPhone 6, and I would love to bring that into the mix of contacts with everything else I have. But my concern is overwriting existing work I have put in. Or I would wipe my work contacts on my iPhone 6.

Lastly I created a test group, and can't find the spot to delete it. Any advice on that?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Im going to follow up with a question regarding My Photo Share and iCloud media and where that stores, does it take up HD space. I disabled it on all my iOS devices cause Iw as losing 1GB+ to My Photo Share.

I just got the same machine with the same upgrade myself, pretty sweet isn't it? It's my first Mac too. I don't know anything about your questions though...sorry.

MuggerMD

Banned
I just got the same machine with the same upgrade myself, pretty sweet isn't it? It's my first Mac too. I don't know anything about your questions though...sorry.

Yes, some very cool tools on there, I was always challenged in the MS world to catalog my photos, (I have thousands) and the iPhoto facial recognition is amazing and is quickly organizing by images.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I pretty much only used events as photo albums anyway and didn't even use albums (Because events were presented nicer) so that doesn't matter to me. I believe it will import your current events as albums when you switch. I just liked the big thumbnails. And it looks like Photos will have those same big thumbnails. I wonder if you can still choose a Key Photo? Really looking forward to switching to it. 10.10.3 can't come soon enough. (Providing that's when it comes out.) When .3 comes to Apple Seed I can't wait to experiment with it on my iMac. Worse comes to worse I have no problem at all just bringing all my photos in a group at a time. (I only have 2GB) As long as Photos still lets me manually change the date on photos for the ones I took in 2000 with a digital camera whose date defaulted to 2018 for some goddamn reason. (Seriously. I have photos on my drive with 2018 as their creation date. Is there any way to modify the metadata for actual files to force change their date? I don't mean the option in iPhoto. I am talking about the file itself.)

Also, Events will still "exist" the same way they do on iOS rather than how they do in iPhoto where it sorts them by date and location in the overview grid. I assume at least. (It's in the Moments view)

As long as I can import all my photos and organize them how I want to and have the changes all sync with iCloud and show up on my iPhone I will be happy.

Now I think it's weird that "Faces" don't exist on the iOS end of Photos.

You can't do facial tagging and you can't do a bunch of the other stuff that OS X Photos can do.

Maybe some of that stuff will appear eventually, but asking for Apple's iOS apps to have feature parity with their OS X equivalents is ultimately asking for the OS X apps to be hamstrung in the same way that a lot of iPad stuff is.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When Photos comes out I bet Faces, at least as just an album, will appear on your iOS device. They already do if you sync iPhoto's full library. But they become normal albums. You can't do any modifications or add any new faces. But when Photos comes out and you can do all that stuff I'm sure it'll eventually, even if it takes until iOS 9, let you tag peoples faces from iOS. And if not, you'll at least be able to see the currently existing ones.

I wonder, will the online version let you do any editing either at some point? Since apparently Windows users won't be getting Photos.exe, the least they could do is make the online editor full fledged complete with manual importing from your browser. (I still think they should put out a Windows version just because it's such a major feature of iOS, not OS X, and both my sister and mom are big photo users with shiny new Windows 8 machines and gigabytes of photos.)

What do I need to do to get in on the Photos party?
If I was in the beta seed program can I get it?
10.10.3 is Dev only right now. When they move it to the Beta seed the public testers will probably get it like they did with the iOS version of iCloud Library. We don't know when it'll come out though. Usually it takes a few weeks after the first dev for the first beta to show up. Once they fix the major standout bugs.

Ninja Dom

I mentioned it earlier but Feedback Assistant is forcing me to change my Apple ID password before I can submit Feedback. So annoying.

I have a new bug though. If you initiate a FaceTime video call from the FaceTime button in iMessages then you get massive borders on the screen when you go into full screen. Doesn't happen when you initiate a FaceTime video call from the FaceTime app.

MuggerMD

Banned
When you are saying 'events' is going away in the next rev I am assuming Photo will still sort by the date stamp as it does now if no event name is given??

MuggerMD

Banned
As for organizing photos/videos i have been importing both video and photos into iPhoto. Then when I want to edit a video I import it into iMovie via the 'iPhoto Library'. Does this recreate the file in iMovie? Which would eat up hard drive space or does it just reference the file in iPhoto.

Second part is the a 'standard' of importing only photos in iPhoto and movies into iMovie or is it user preference?

SeanR1221

What confuses me about Photos...

I have the Photo library set up on my iPhone and iPad and it works very well.

But on my Mac, the iCloud photo stream is...weird.

So if I add something to my phone or iPad it shows up in the Mac photo stream.

If I delete something from my phone or iPad it stays on the Mac photo stream.

If I add something to the Mac photo stream it does NOT add it to my iPhone or iPad Photo Library.

I'd assume all of this will be fixed once Photos for Mac comes out.

But will it add all the pictures on my Mac to the phone and iPad photo library when this happens? Hmmm.

A little help thinking this through, if you could spare a moment.

- New 256GB SSD going in a 2011 iMac
- Keeping the existing internal 1TB mechanical drive which is going to be repurposed for data (iTunes, Aperture library, etc.) only.
- I have a complete Time Machine backup of existing drive
- I can juggle data with a few networked Windows machines, but would rather not.

Moving my Yosemite install and apps seems fairly straight forward with something like Carbon Copy Cloner. Yes? Can I then reformat my 1TB, point iTunes and Aperture to it, and Time Machine the data to the correct drive?

I guess my main concern is can I be 100% sure I can get the libraries off the Time Machine backup, so I can format the drive they'll be going on.

Disaster waiting to happen? Is there potentially an easier, or more reliable method that I'm unaware of.

Disaster waiting to happen? Is there potentially an easier, or more reliable method that I'm unaware of.

You can do what you suggest, and I have done similar, but only having one backup gives me the willies when doing data migration.

You can use CCC or SuperDuper to clone parts of your 1TB disk to the SSD; I would then see what works and what doesn't— commercial software for instance.

After you're content with the SSD, delete stuff you don't want from the 1TB drive (/System, /Applications, etc).

If it were me I would have one more disk so your data is in at least two places at once even if you reformat— preferably a clone of the whole 1TB disk, but at least a clone of the remaining iTunes and Aperture libraries. Borrow a disk if needed and wipe it when finished.

ultimax

So i was wondering if anyone can help me out here, customer support didn't really help at all. I can't upgrade my Macbook air (mid 2013) to Yosemite.

This is because when i go into the app store i get the error Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance. It weird because i can use itunes just fine. Also I can't use the Messages app, or even log into icloud to reset the keychain.

Also i have a (2009-ish) iMac desktop and it was able to update no problem. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do?

Also i have a (2009-ish) iMac desktop and it was able to update no problem. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do?

This person had the same problem and posted his fix.

This post suggests that your network devices got re-enumerated somehow. Your MacBook Air won't have the en0 that this mentions because it has no Ethernet, but the MAC address of the wifi will be used instead. It gets moved off the default enumeration and your Mac works, but these totally tangential uses of the MAC address can't find the address they're looking for.

ultimax

This person had the same problem and posted his fix.

This post suggests that your network devices got re-enumerated somehow. Your MacBook Air won't have the en0 that this mentions because it has no Ethernet, but the MAC address of the wifi will be used instead. It gets moved off the default enumeration and your Mac works, but these totally tangential uses of the MAC address can't find the address they're looking for.
I'll definitley try this out later tonight and I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks!

Edit- worked like a charm! Thanks again!

You can do what you suggest, and I have done similar, but only having one backup gives me the willies when doing data migration.

You can use CCC or SuperDuper to clone parts of your 1TB disk to the SSD; I would then see what works and what doesn't— commercial software for instance.

After you're content with the SSD, delete stuff you don't want from the 1TB drive (/System, /Applications, etc).

If it were me I would have one more disk so your data is in at least two places at once even if you reformat— preferably a clone of the whole 1TB disk, but at least a clone of the remaining iTunes and Aperture libraries. Borrow a disk if needed and wipe it when finished.

Great, Crude. Thanks for the advice.

I get the willies too. I really needed someone else's opinion. I actually have the majority of the data stored on a few old drives as well. None of them big enough to clone a TB however. A complete flubbing of the situation wouldn't be a total disaster, but it's still not good at all, and a huge inconvenience. I can afford a few risks though.

When you say "delete stuff you don't want from the 1TB drive (/System, /Applications, etc)." would that be an acceptable way of turning the drive into storage drive? I assumed I'd need to reformat it, but if I could just trash the majority of the OS and leave my data, that sounds inviting.

Not that it makes much difference at all, but the TB drive is staying internal. The SSD is getting mounted under the superdrive. I can be confident that if I make a mess, I can just Time Machine the drive back to it's original state.

When you say "delete stuff you don't want from the 1TB drive (/System, /Applications, etc)." would that be an acceptable way of turning the drive into storage drive? I assumed I'd need to reformat it, but if I could just trash the majority of the OS and leave my data, that sounds inviting.

Yes— my post originally mentioned it, but I deleted it because it's not advice I'd follow myself. I'd reformat it as it will act as a defrag and move all your data to the front of the disk where the disk is fastest.

You could use CCC or SuperDuper rules to clone just your Aperture library and just your iTunes library to separate disks that are each big enough. You may then have to partition your 1TB disk to clone them each back, though.

Also, when all is said and done, you get to fart around with tmutil on the command line to try and continue using your existing Time Machine backup in the manner you would expect. You may even be successful, but with sufficient other backups, it will be tempting to say 'fuck it' and start TM anew with your new setup.

Yes— my post originally mentioned it, but I deleted it because it's not advice I'd follow myself. I'd reformat it as it will act as a defrag and move all your data to the front of the disk where the disk is fastest.

You could use CCC or SuperDuper rules to clone just your Aperture library and just your iTunes library to separate disks that are each big enough. You may then have to partition your 1TB disk to clone them each back, though.

Understood.

Also, when all is said and done, you get to fart around with tmutil on the command line to try and continue using your existing Time Machine backup in the manner you would expect. You may even be successful, but with sufficient other backups, it will be tempting to say 'fuck it' and start TM anew with your new setup.

Yeah, I figured I'd cross that bridge when I got there. Starting anew is probably going to sound pretty inviting after futzing with the rest of it. :)

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Ambitious

Can someone recommend me an app to create animated GIFs from videos?

I tried the beta of GIF Brewery. In terms of features, it's pretty much perfect. Lots of options, e.g. cropping, resizing, changing frame rate or frame delay. However, it's slow and crashes all the time. Which is fine, as it's a beta.
However, the stable version hasn't been updated in almost a year, and there are many 1 star ratings. So I'm a bit wary to shell out $4.99.

Top Bottom