• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Can someone recommend me an app to create animated GIFs from videos?

I tried the beta of GIF Brewery. In terms of features, it's pretty much perfect. Lots of options, e.g. cropping, resizing, changing frame rate or frame delay. However, it's slow and crashes all the time. Which is fine, as it's a beta.
However, the stable version hasn't been updated in almost a year, and there are many 1 star ratings. So I'm a bit wary to shell out $4.99.

I use the 3.0 beta of Gif Brewery, and for me, it's fine most of time. I bought the paid App Store version a while ago, but it's like you said, it hasn't been updated, so I don't even use it.

That's the beta I was referring to. With some videos, it always crashes several seconds after clicking "Create GIF".

Hmmm, not happening for me. Are you on Yosemite? Maybe take a look at this.

I use it all the time, and like you, found it perfect for my needs.

I just tried my App Store version, and it did actually work. I don't think I had even tried since it broke in one of the Yosemite betas. Maybe it is worth the chance. If it works for you, score, because it's pretty great. The 3.0 beta is better however. If you can get that working, you can save yourself 5 bucks and get the better piece of software.

Futureman

just me or is grabbing the edge of a window wonky where the diagonal arrow thing will show for a second but then disappear but you can still drag the window to a new size??

Number45

Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial that will show me to write a script for OS X that I can either drag a file onto (and have that filename replace a string within the script) or otherwise run?

Basically, I'm using exiftool to manipulate the data I attach to my images when I host them online. I have that where I need to get it:

## remove exif data
Code:
exiftool -all= filename.jpg

## add info back in
Code:
exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile filename.jpg_original -make -model -lens -artist -copyright -exposuretime -fnumber -exposureprogram -iso -focallength -datetimeoriginal -flash -colorspace filename.jpg

Basically I want to get to the point that I can apply that to a jpeg by dragging it (or even multiple files) onto the script, and have filename become the name of the file dragged (and the path I assume).

I've looked at actually using exiftool to run against multiple files - the first part is easy (replace filename.jpg with a period), but adding the info back in is less so. You can use -tagsfromfile @ to pull that data from multiple source files but I can't find a way to export that to multiple files using the right source and destination for each.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Ambitious

Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial that will show me to write a script for OS X that I can either drag a file onto (and have that filename replace a string within the script) or otherwise run?

Basically, I'm using exiftool to manipulate the data I attach to my images when I host them online. I have that where I need to get it:

## remove exif data
Code:
exiftool -all= filename.jpg

## add info back in
Code:
exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile filename.jpg_original -make -model -lens -artist -copyright -exposuretime -fnumber -exposureprogram -iso -focallength -datetimeoriginal -flash -colorspace filename.jpg

Basically I want to get to the point that I can apply that to a jpeg by dragging it (or even multiple files) onto the script, and have filename become the name of the file dragged (and the path I assume).

I've looked at actually using exiftool to run against multiple files - the first part is easy (replace filename.jpg with a period), but adding the info back in is less so. You can use -tagsfromfile @ to pull that data from multiple source files but I can't find a way to export that to multiple files using the right source and destination for each.

I would write a detailed tutorial, but unfortunately I'm on my phone right now. So, in short: Use Automator. It's a preinstalled automation app which is able to execute shell scripts (amongst many other things, of course). You can save your Automator script as an app so you can drag files onto its icon, or as a service so you can execute it using the context menu in Finder (select files -> right click -> Services -> your script).

Use Platypus in conjunction with any of the shell scripting languages on the Mac to create drag-and-drop applets. Works much better than Automator for this.

Have used it in conjunction with both bash and PHP scripts— including a third-party PHP/Excel library that Platypus helpfully put in the .app bundle.

Edit: I should've read your questions about getting the filename. You set your .app to accept extensions of a certain type and they get passed as arguments to your shell script. If you're using bash, that's $1, $2, $3, etc; if PHP, it's $argv[1], $argv[2], etc.

If I understand correctly, your shell script would loop over the arguments (skip $0! - that's the name of the script), and simply run your exiftool commands for each iteration.

Sch1sm

Android File Transfer doesn't seem to agree with Yosemite. It'll freeze everything on occasion, only way of getting out of it is forced shut down. Meh. All I wanted was to drag and drop things.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Android File Transfer doesn't seem to agree with Yosemite. It'll freeze everything on occasion, only way of getting out of it is forced shut down. Meh. All I wanted was to drag and drop things.
OSX really sucks when it comes to Android anything, and it seems like Google doesn't really push for more than that basic bitch tool.

Airdroid is the only way to go if you're on a local network.

Sch1sm

OSX really sucks when it comes to Android anything, and it seems like Google doesn't really push for more than that basic bitch tool.

Airdroid is the only way to go if you're on a local network.

Been noticing that more and more lately. Even downloading SDK tools was a hassle. It was set to an outdated version of Java and tried to tell me I didn't have it.

Gone that route, and it's a pretty clunky app imo. Only attractive feature it has is AirMirror, but now that WhatsApp has a web app (more like a sad pushbullet atrocity) it's pretty worthless for my usage patterns.

kuppy

Tell me if I'm going crazy, but the volume and screen brightness overlay was normally centered, right? Because mine is now in the lower third of the screen and I have no idea why.

Konka

Banned
Tell me if I'm going crazy, but the volume and screen brightness overlay was normally centered, right? Because mine is now in the lower third of the screen and I have no idea why.

Mine is too. They probably just moved it in the latest update so it wouldn't be right in front of whatever you had in the middle of your screen.

Sch1sm

I didn't notice until I checked, but yeah. This is very much a thing.

Hmmm, not happening for me. Are you on Yosemite? Maybe take a look at this.

I use it all the time, and like you, found it perfect for my needs.

I just tried my App Store version, and it did actually work. I don't think I had even tried since it broke in one of the Yosemite betas. Maybe it is worth the chance. If it works for you, score, because it's pretty great. The 3.0 beta is better however. If you can get that working, you can save yourself 5 bucks and get the better piece of software.

Hey, this is my app :eek:.

1. The GIF Brewery 3.0 beta is outdated. I'm actually in the process of completly updating it just for Yosemite. The new beta should appear later in March. It'll have new UI (forgive the temporary icons...) too.

2. I actually just updated the App Store version to 2.3.5 to fix a Yosemite-specific caption/text bug. However, it's accurate that all future development is focused on 3.0.

3. The people who leave 1 star reviews never send me e-mails, which makes me sad. But if anyone actually does have qualms about it, you could try the 2.3.5 preview at http://www.helloresolven.com/betas/gifbrewery/2.3.5.html.

1. The GIF Brewery 3.0 beta is outdated. I'm actually in the process of completly updating it just for Yosemite. The new beta should appear later in March. It'll have new UI (forgive the temporary icons...) too.

2. I actually just updated the App Store version to 2.3.5 to fix a Yosemite-specific caption/text bug. However, it's accurate that all future development is focused on 3.0.

3. The people who leave 1 star reviews never send me e-mails, which makes me sad. But if anyone actually does have qualms about it, you could try the 2.3.5 preview at http://www.helloresolven.com/betas/gifbrewery/2.3.5.html.

Oh, hey there. Terrific piece of software.

I'm happy to hear you're still fixing bugs, and have plans for it's future. I'm looking forward to the new beta. The integrated gif properties panel is lovely, as it the rest of it's Yosemification.

I've never done an App Store review, but I'll be happy to leave you a positive one. I certainly get a ton of use from it.

Awesome, I love that app too!
Looking forward to the next version then. :)

kuppy

GIF Brewery love, hehe, that new UI looks great. Didn't know the app was by a Gaffer, makes sense now that I think about it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can someone play around with Photos and see what kinds of options you have for importing your old library and/or just importing photos from a folder. Does it let you change the dates? Does it absorb the date from the file and still split it into events (Or whatever it calls them now) properly? And can you manually split them if not? Or will it plop all my photos into one group based on todays date even though some might have been taken 10+ years ago?

Hopefully they make it easy enough to undo all the Photos import changes you made providing you have your iPhoto Library database backed up. (Actually, does it delete the old iPhoto Library when you import? Or does it leave it and possibly move it somewhere to delete later when you're sure everything's fine.)

I look forward to possibly completely fucking up my photo collection later.

Furyous

Can someone recommend me a fix for Safari and Firefox to improve speed?

I renewed the DHCP lease on both Netgear N600 cable modem router and Thunderbolt ethernet adapter, restarted, and still have fucked internet speeds. My connection is 50 MBPS with 5 MBPS upload speed so now way in shit should speeds be this low.

I changed the Silverlight plugin on Safari to ask but still have slow speeds.

jts

...hate me...
So now with the photos app you'll upload your library to iCloud?

Will I finally free up 100GB on my MBP?

Someone ITK please give me a quick rundown.

Deku Tree

Photos is so great. Loving it. I didn't do anything at all and I get a huge scrollable sheet of all my millions of photos and videos going back almost twenty years organized by date and location too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So far Photos is pretty nice. It's currently uploading my images to iCloud. When it finishes I'll check my other devices and my iMac to see if I can view them there. I wonder if I can now unsync my photos from my phone. Or if it'll do it for me. They take up 2GB of space I would like to have back. How will I know if and when I can delete the iPhoto Library database?

So now with the photos app you'll upload your library to iCloud?

Will I finally free up 100GB on my MBP?

Someone ITK please give me a quick rundown.
That's a huge library. Good thing iCloud is cheap. Yes it can optionally keep the photos only in the cloud on a per-Mac basis. I'd recommend having at least one machine with the originals on it though. Unless it doesn't matter anymore. I hear it obfuscates them now so you can't even figure out where the local files are. So I guess we have to trust the cloud now.

Edit: It doesn't appear to be more obfuscated than iPhoto was. Right now if you import from iPhoto it creates a new Library of its own with its own copies. So I guess it's safe to delete the iPhoto Library once you're confident Photos is working fine. Personally I'll keep my photos on my MacBook but just optimize on my other devices. If you have a secondary machine you could turn on downloading for that machine, let all the photos trickle down to it and then maybe turn it off on the machine you want to free up space on. Plus on the other machine you can choose to put the new Library on another HDD and just forget about it. I guess from that point it'll upload all photos but only store them on your main machine until it needs space. 100GB is a lot of photos. I only have like 2GB.

Also, it takes a long time to upload even the 2GB I have. I hope you have a few days to let your 100GB library upload.

Mobius 1

Whoa, nice! I've been using it since release 1.0, it's terrific. Keep it up :D

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nice. My library finished uploading and I turned on the stream on my iPhone and iPad. It removed all the locally stored caches I had synced and freed up a lot of space for me. I only have 16GB devices right now so space is a premium. I am so glad I can now have my whole library with me but not have to keep them on the device itself.

Terrell

I'm curious when the Photos app on my iPhone and my Mac will stop telling me they're "updating". It's been 2 hours and I only have a 4GB library. Even less on my phone, and that's been going just as long.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm curious when the Photos app on my iPhone and my Mac will stop telling me they're "updating". It's been 2 hours and I only have a 4GB library. Even less on my phone, and that's been going just as long.
It takes a while. I only had a 2GB library. I'd hate to image a 100GB library. It's even taking a long time to prepare on iCloud.com and I had to wait for all my thumbnails and metadata to download to my phone once I turned it on and removed the synced stuff. At first I was freaked out that I replaced my library with emptiness until I noticed it was just taking forever.

It's nice to actually be using some of my 5GB iCloud space for something. I tell you Apple, if you copy DropBox completely I will gladly buy and use even more space. I just don't like having my documents obfuscated. Photos fine, but other documents when placed in iCloud Drive I want to be able to control them like I can DropBox. I want to put symlinks in my iCloud Drive and not have to move the files themselves from their locations. And I want to be able to disable syncing of folders and files on a per device basis. And lastly, an iOS file browser of course. Even if it's just browser based on iCloud.com. For some reason you can't even visit iCloud.com on iOS. Why? It makes no sense! Safari could easily be a file viewer for many document types. And could easily open certain files in their respective apps when needed. It makes no sense that iCloud.com isn't iOS ready.

jts

...hate me...
That's a huge library. Good thing iCloud is cheap. Yes it can optionally keep the photos only in the cloud on a per-Mac basis. I'd recommend having at least one machine with the originals on it though. Unless it doesn't matter anymore. I hear it obfuscates them now so you can't even figure out where the local files are. So I guess we have to trust the cloud now.

Edit: It doesn't appear to be more obfuscated than iPhoto was. Right now if you import from iPhoto it creates a new Library of its own with its own copies. So I guess it's safe to delete the iPhoto Library once you're confident Photos is working fine. Personally I'll keep my photos on my MacBook but just optimize on my other devices. If you have a secondary machine you could turn on downloading for that machine, let all the photos trickle down to it and then maybe turn it off on the machine you want to free up space on. Plus on the other machine you can choose to put the new Library on another HDD and just forget about it. I guess from that point it'll upload all photos but only store them on your main machine until it needs space. 100GB is a lot of photos. I only have like 2GB.

Also, it takes a long time to upload even the 2GB I have. I hope you have a few days to let your 100GB library upload.
Thanks. Yeah, I was very happy when they announced the cheaper iCloud prices.

My internet connection where I am right now is pretty slow for these things. So I don't know. It will take weeks to upload everything probably. If Photos allows for a gradual upload job then I am okay with it though.

I'll save a local copy of my library on an external HDD. At least a copy of its current state, as I'm not seeing how could I then incrementally add the new content.

Wondered why I was running low on space and just realised my Pictures folder is now 280GB.

Photos duplicates your iPhoto library instead of just using the original as Aperture does.
Gonna have to get rid of iPhoto (and with it Aperture) pretty soon.
Too early?

Photos seems great now, but it has only been a couple of days...

mrkgoo

Wondered why I was running low on space and just realised my Pictures folder is now 280GB.

Photos duplicates your iPhoto library instead of just using the original as Aperture does.
Gonna have to get rid of iPhoto (and with it Aperture) pretty soon.
Too early?

Photos seems great now, but it has only been a couple of days...
What do you mean aperture "uses the original"? Aperture will import images into its own library thus duplicating them. Or do you mean Photos doesn't open the original iohot library like Aperture can?

Not looking forward to photos. Have a 700 GB aperture library at this stags...

What do you mean aperture "uses the original"? Aperture will import images into its own library thus duplicating them. Or do you mean Photos doesn't open the original iohot library like Aperture can?

Perhaps it was the way I originally set it up but Aperture never had it's own library on my system, it always accessed my iPhoto library.
I thought this was the standard behaviour, but perhaps not...?

But yeah Photos will initially ask whether you want to use an existing Library (iPhoto was the only option here for me) or create an original Library.
Choosing existing will duplicate your current Library and Photos then begins using the duplicate as its own.

My 'old' Library is intact and I can still use it with iPhoto and Aperture, which is good if I didn't want to commit to Photos I suppose, but I would've liked if it used the existing iPhoto Library instead of writing its own as I'm now forced to pick one or the other now.

Fuchsdh

You should be able to safely delete iPhoto/Aperture after you've migrated your library. Photos uses hardlinks so it's not using up extra space copying photos; once you delete them from your original library though I believe they're moved over.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, Photos duplicates the whole library so you can simply delete the old iPhoto one and iPhoto itself when you're confident Photos is going to work for you right now. If you have a huge library I'm sorry, but transitions aren't always that simple. lol

You could move the iPhoto Library to a backup and just keep it there to get it off your main HDD so it'll be a quick fix when and if you have to switch back.

Also, my Library is still "preparing" on iCloud.com. I can't view my images online yet. :( But they downloaded the thumbnails to my phone fine and synced to my iMac as well. I wonder what's taking so long online. Maybe it's just not ready online yet. Whatever.

Just remember, if you import into Photos right now and continue using iPhoto, nothing you change or add will be brought over (most likely) so you'd have to delete and reimport into Photos or bring over the images again manually when you do switch permanently. Personally I'm not going back to iPhoto at all. I just need to make sure I'm ready to dump the library. Thankfully mine's really small so it's not a pressing issue. (Though I wish Apple's methods didn't make my 2.1GB library balloon up to 5GB in both cases. That's 3GB of caches and thumbnails for 2GB of photos. Surely I must have some extra stuff in there. I really should have manually imported my photos. But I didn't want to lose my faces and places and events. (Which became albums)

jts

...hate me...
If Photos duplicates your iPhoto library I don't see how it would work out for me of for many others.

I have my iPhoto library locally on my Mac and also a copy on an external. When I started Photos I pointed to my local library and it has been uploading and shit.

My library is 100GB and the free space on my Mac is about 10GB right now. Hence the biggest reason why I want iCloud photo library and why I'm willing to pay Apple for a 200GB storage.

So obviously I'm not buying a larger HDD to make this transition possible. Some Mac users don't even have that options.

So what will happen is that at some point I'll be running out of space on my HDD as it duplicates the library?

Meh. I don't buy it. Maybe that will happen temporarily but Photos will keep deleting the original local copies as it uploads them iCloud, when facing storage shortage. They couldn't have overseen my kind of situation.

10GB still doesn't sound like a whole lot even if just for optimised versions and thumbnails, but we'll see.

Checking from Activity Monitor I have uploaded 13GB of stuff today.

Not exactly; as Fuchsdh said it uses hardlinks, so the photos are only stored once.

Either Finder is mis-reporting sizes by not accounting for hardlinks (which used to be a problem, maybe it still is— you could see if you did a get info on a Time Machine volume), or something is going on to balloon your library size.

I don't intend to migrate my full library until all my editing plugins (Nik) are updated to support Photos. Will probably prepare and migrate a tiny sample library once 10.10.3 is released.

Can anyone comment on how the editing palette looks compared to iPhoto and Aperture?

jts

...hate me...
btw, I dunno if it's because of being on 10.10.3 beta, or because of the iCloud photos upload, or because of any other reason, but my Time Machine today has been hanging forever in "preparing backup". Eventually I just cancel it so I can eject and unplug my external.

Hmmm... I'm confused then.
As far as I can tell I definitely have two separate 100GB+ photo Libraries.
What am I not seeing?

by%20default%202015-03-03%20at%208.00.07%20pm_zpsmrp7pe8x.jpg

by%20default%202015-03-03%20at%208.01.20%20pm_zpsf8uy80tp.jpg

Hmmm... I'm confused then.
As far as I can tell I definitely have two separate 100GB+ photo Libraries.
What am I not seeing?

Hard links.

Here are some screenshots from a 40MB .dmg I created. There was room for one 24MB photo, and as expected I couldn't duplicate the file because there wasn't room. I could however create a hardlink and suddenly I have 48MB of photos on a 40MB .dmg file.

Edit: I will say that the additional 13GB are probably for thumbnails and whatever disk-based caching/previews Photos does to make the UI responsive over thousands and thousands of photos.

Hard links.

Here are some screenshots from a 40MB .dmg I created. There was room for one 24MB photo, and as expected I couldn't duplicate the file because there wasn't room. I could however create a hardlink and suddenly I have 48MB of photos on a 40MB .dmg file.

Edit: I will say that the additional 13GB are probably for thumbnails and whatever disk-based caching/previews Photos does to make the UI responsive over thousands and thousands of photos.

Oh!!
Thanks a lot for that, very interesting!
It answers a lot as I've always wondered just how Time Machine works too, so that was really helpful.
I'm kinda disappointed in myself for having never heard of them before :D

Okay so, nothing to worry about!

jts

...hate me...
uIhv2Nq.png

This will be a long week.

Remember when iTunes Match was announced triumphantly because you didn't have to go through a looooooong upload unlike other services. lol

jts

...hate me...
Do you have a lot of concert bootlegs or other rarities?

That's my photo library upload :p

iTunes Match upload was fast enough, just like they said.

I'm simply in jest because the dreaded loooong upload finally came to haunt Apple users, even though it's not about music.

In all honesty though it's no big deal and I'm pretty psyched about this. It's something I've always wanted.

And btw I reckon we should get iCloud Time Machine not before long.

Top Bottom