• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Deku Tree

Guys you'll never guess what was causing my Mac so many issues.

A fucking keylogger.

If I were you I would want to know who installed the keylogger...

Are you in a line of work where someone would want to spy on you?
Otherwise is it someone in your personal life?

Sounds like it was someone who either got interrupted while installing it,
or didn't know what they were doing in the first place.

How do you find a keylogger on your computer anyway?

Vashetti

Banned
If I were you I would want to know who installed the keylogger...

Are you in a line of work where someone would want to spy on you?
Otherwise is it someone in your personal life?

Sounds like it was someone who either got interrupted while installing it,
or didn't know what they were doing in the first place.

How do you find a keylogger on your computer anyway?

The Apple guy knew straight away, it was the first thing in all the error reports. Not sure how it got there, probably some dodgy installation or something. I'm currently unemployed and don't really take my Mac anywhere, so...

Ambitious

The Apple guy knew straight away, it was the first thing in all the error reports. Not sure how it got there, probably some dodgy installation or something. I'm currently unemployed and don't really take my Mac anywhere, so...

Probably. Where do you download your apps from?

Vashetti

Banned
Probably. Where do you download your apps from?

Most of the time I only download the major, popular stuff that nobody has any issues with. I've really no idea where it came from, just glad the issue is (hopefully) sorted now.

I'll be more careful what I download from now on.

Can't wait for 10.10.3 later :)

Deku Tree

Most of the time I only download the major, popular stuff that nobody has any issues with. I've really no idea where it came from, just glad the issue is (hopefully) sorted now.

I'll be more careful what I download from now on.

Can't wait for 10.10.3 later :)

FWIW you can go to "Security & Privacy" and to "general" and then tell OS X to only allow software to be installed from "Mac App Store and identified developers" then keyloggers are impossible to install unless you are tricked into doing it. Of course you can also over-ride that setting on a case by case basis.

Vashetti

Banned
Download for 10.10.3 is craaaaawling for me.

Yeah it was for me too.

All done now though. Probably a 'meme' but everything is nice and snappy. To be expected when I've just have a fresh install from Apple though.

I really need to upgrade this 5400RPM HDD to something better.

Fuchsdh

Yeah it was for me too.

All done now though. Probably a 'meme' but everything is nice and snappy. To be expected when I've just have a fresh install from Apple though.

I really need to upgrade this 5400RPM HDD to something better.
Just getting a USB3 enclosure and an SSD is probably going to be a hefty speed increase. Easier than cracking open most Macs these days.

Vashetti

Banned
Just getting a USB3 enclosure and an SSD is probably going to be a hefty speed increase. Easier than cracking open most Macs these days.

Tempted to remove my optical drive and replace it with an SSD. Which is a thing right, you can do that?

And then keep the HDD in there just for storage. I can't remember the last time I put a CD/DVD into this machine.

jstripes

Banned
Tempted to remove my optical drive and replace it with an SSD. Which is a thing right, you can do that?

And then keep the HDD in there just for storage. I can't remember the last time I put a CD/DVD into this machine.

That's what I did. I made a Fusion Drive, so my SSD and HDD are a single logical volume, and the OS determines which files go where.

Works mostly fine, except for the occasional IO system overflow that stalls my computer for about 10 seconds. (I don't think my 2011 MBP was designed for that much IO.)

mrkgoo

I notice there's an Security Update 2015-004 ... but it doesn't show for me on 10.10.2. Is it after 10.10.3? Or does 10.10.3 include it? if it's included, why have a separate download, and if it's not included, how come it doesn't prompt me to get it?

giga

I notice there's an Security Update 2015-004 ... but it doesn't show for me on 10.10.2. Is it after 10.10.3? Or does 10.10.3 include it? if it's included, why have a separate download, and if it's not included, how come it doesn't prompt me to get it?
Included in 10.10.3.

Separate downloads are for 10.8 and 10.9 only.

e1EcIpF.jpg

Apparently one of the new features in 10.10.3 is a new series of Spotlight suggestions for Look Up (the three-finger tap on the trackpad). I must have accidentally bypassed this introduction screen (the above is not my own screenshot), and I can't find anywhere in System Preferences to activate features like Maps, App Store, iTunes, etc.

Is this feature even working for everyone else?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
e1EcIpF.jpg

Apparently one of the new features in 10.10.3 is a new series of Spotlight suggestions for Look Up (the three-finger tap on the trackpad). I must have accidentally bypassed this introduction screen (the above is not my own screenshot), and I can't find anywhere in System Preferences to activate features like Maps, App Store, iTunes, etc.

Is this feature even working for everyone else?
It seems to be automatic. Only shows other tabs when the result matches.

For instance, clicking on the word automatic above has a tab for Song that shows me a Miranda Lambert song.

But fuck. Who the hell is Miranda Lambert? I want to see information about the only song called Automatic that matters. Why doesn't it show a list of artists instead? What it shows now is just the album that contains the first most popular result. Which is stupid as hell. It should show me a list of all the songs called Automatic.

It does the same thing for movies. The word Look above shows some movie called Look that I've never heard of.

It'll do the same for addresses and places and apps. Like 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue or Starbucks or Angry Birds. Okay, maybe Angry Birds doesn't work. For some reason it only shows a Wiki article and not a link to the store. Maybe Flappy Bird? Hmm.. Nope. Maybe apps don't work? That's weird.

When they say "You can change it in Preferences" they just mean enable or disable the three finger tap. Not enable or disable different parts of it. (I just looked)

It seems to be automatic. Only shows other tabs when the result matches.

For instance, clicking on the word automatic above has a tab for Song that shows me a Miranda Lambert song.

But fuck. Who the hell is Miranda Lambert? I want to see information about the only song called Automatic that matters. Why doesn't it show a list of artists instead? What it shows now is just the album that contains the first most popular result. Which is stupid as hell. It should show me a list of all the songs called Automatic.

It does the same thing for movies. The word Look above shows some movie called Look that I've never heard of.

It'll do the same for addresses and places and apps. Like 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue or Starbucks or Angry Birds. Okay, maybe Angry Birds doesn't work. For some reason it only shows a Wiki article and not a link to the store. Maybe Flappy Bird? Hmm.. Nope. Maybe apps don't work? That's weird.

When they say "You can change it in Preferences" they just mean enable or disable the three finger tap. Not enable or disable different parts of it. (I just looked)

q4HE9FY.png

I'm still not getting movie/music suggestions from this. I guess at the end of the day this is hardly of critical importance, but it's been bugging me since this afternoon.

Thanks anyways, though!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm still not getting movie/music suggestions from this. I guess at the end of the day this is hardly of critical importance, but it's been bugging me since this afternoon.

Thanks anyways, though!
Does anything show a song option? Or movie option? Not even if you force it like The Matrix?

mrkgoo

Under preference -> Spotlight,, there's a button for "spotlight suggestions in look up" check to see if that's checked.

Otehrwise maybe you have to be logged into the iTunes store perhaps?

edit: I tried unchecking it and it also removes the wikipedia option. Seeing as you have it, consider whether it's an iTunes thing. Like are you logged in? Which region are you? ARe you in a region where they sell movies?

The more i think about it, and play with it, it's kind of a revelation. like highlight mcdonalds and it adds a map tab.

Is there best-practice for managing images on a NAS in Photos? I'm a little confused as to how I can still have my Photos library file on my Macbook, but have the images on my NAS as well without sucking them into the library on my Macbook and blowing my storage up.

I see there's an option to enable/disable Photo Stream. Is there any reason to keep it enabled? I've turned on iCloud Photo Library on all my devices.

Screensaver for Apple TV? Ever since enabling iCloud Photo Library on all my devices back when it was in beta, my Apple TV has been the rogue device showing all of these images in my Photo Stream, despite the fact I had zero way to manage those images and delete them successfully until now. Good thing I don't take dick pics.....

Screensaver for Apple TV? Ever since enabling iCloud Photo Library on all my devices back when it was in beta, my Apple TV has been the rogue device showing all of these images in my Photo Stream, despite the fact I had zero way to manage those images and delete them successfully until now. Good thing I don't take dick pics.....

So.. sounds like photostream is useless if you have iCloud photo library on then

Vashetti

Banned
Guys is it okay to disable FileVault?

There's pretty much zero chance of anyone having access to my Mac just because of my lifestyle. I'd much rather prefer the better performance, regardless of how small that increase is.

Vashetti

Banned
iTunes 12.1.2 is up in the App Store

This update improves support for syncing photos to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch from the new Photos app for OS X. In addition, this update also adds several refinements to the Get Info window and improves overall stability.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When the hell are we getting Siri on OS X?
Perhaps OS X 10.11?

I hope this year's update is more of an optimisation update, rather than a complete overhaul.

Keep refining battery usage, power, etc.
I hope so. I've said my idea before but I'll abridge it here. Make it so using BlueTooth, all your devices are aware of their proximity to each other. Then figure out which one is being currently used. And when Siri is activated via voice, use that machine. But make it so when one device has Siri activated, you can switch it over to another one instantly. (Use the Hand Off feature) Hand Off should be more refined too. Make it so it works between selected websites on OS X and their app counterparts on iOS. Like Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube, (Which currently just opens Safari then switches immediately to YouTube which is wasteful) the Google app and other sites and apps. Let the devs of those apps also bring over the data you already have set up. Like text in a search box or what you've typed into your Tweet box so far. If I'm on a YouTube page on OS X, even if it's not a video itself, say a playlist or a channel's video listing, let me migrate that over to the YouTube app as well. Right now it only redirects to YouTube if you're in a video. But otherwise it keeps it in Safari on iOS and when you try to view a video you end up playing it in Safari, which last time I checked had a super shitty fullscreen mode that didn't even remove the toolbars. (Google's fault there. It's the only fullscreen video player I've ever seen do that.)

Oh, that was abridged? Okay. Whatever. Just refine Hand Off. Implement Siri. And the rest can just be refinements and optimizations. More tighter iOS to OS X integration is all I expect.

And make iCloud Drive more like DropBox. But they won't. So I'll just continue to use it for photos only.

Ambitious

Is there best-practice for managing images on a NAS in Photos? I'm a little confused as to how I can still have my Photos library file on my Macbook, but have the images on my NAS as well without sucking them into the library on my Macbook and blowing my storage up.

Well, I don't have an Apple TV.
I guess I can safely turn off Photo Stream, then. I wonder why it is still enabled by default, though.

Ambitious

Well, Photos.app has stopped uploading photos. It has been stuck at 994 remaining since yesterday. I have restarted the app, restarted the Mac, and of course I paused and resumed the upload process. It just doesn't work.

Oh, and the Safari keyboard lag still shows up from time to time. And Mission Control still lags like a cheap Chinese Mac ripoff.

Great update!

I love how Photos, as a background process, uses all your available upload bandwidth, to the point where your Internet in your house in completely unusable.

I almost think either the ISPs are throttling us, or Apple's servers' storage can't keep up, because I had the freeze behavior, too. Or most likely, this is just a software glitch.

Ambitious

I love how Photos, as a background process, uses all your available upload bandwidth, to the point where your Internet in your house in completely unusable.

I almost think either the ISPs are throttling us, or Apple's servers' storage can't keep up, because I had the freeze behavior, too. Or most likely, this is just a software glitch.

I wouldn't mind it using my full bandwidth if if would actually do something. But it doesn't.

Speaking of slow connections: I've been trying to download the recent Xcode update since yesterday morning. It's that slow, even though the update is just 1.4GB. ETA is all over the place, ranging from 40min left to 10 hours left. And whenever I put the Mac into standby mode, there's a chance the download starts from zero again when I turn it on again. Oh, and once the total size of the update when from 1.4GB to 2.5GB. The next time it restarted, it was 1.4GB again.

Vashetti

Banned
Having had my MBP back a few days now and it's still working fine, I really want to get an SSD, it would really transform my system I think.

I've got the stock 5400rpm 750GB HDD in there, and since reinstalling all the apps I need, I'm still left with 727GB of HDD space.

I could get say, a 120GB SSD to go inside, and put the stock drive inside an enclosure for storage. Any recommendations on decent-priced SSDs? I'm in the UK if that affects anything.

Futureman

Oh, and the Safari keyboard lag still shows up from time to time. And Mission Control still lags like a cheap Chinese Mac ripoff.

I get that Safari keyboard lag. Late 2013 rMBP. No way in hell I'm using Safari when it performs like that, so annoying. A machine as beefy as mine shouldn't lag like that in a browser.

I don't think I've noticed any Mission Control lag though.

chadskin

I could get say, a 120GB SSD to go inside, and put the stock drive inside an enclosure for storage. Any recommendations on decent-priced SSDs? I'm in the UK if that affects anything.

I'd say get the cheapest Crucial SSD available. The Crucial M550 is on a clearance sale I believe, you may find a decent deal there, otherwise the Crucial MX100/BX100 work just as well. You can't really go wrong with any of the SSDs from the more known brands as they all offer much better performances and access times than the HDD but I personally prefer Crucial above all others, including Samsung.

Vashetti

Banned
I'd say get the cheapest Crucial SSD available. The Crucial M550 is on a clearance sale I believe, you may find a decent deal there, otherwise the Crucial MX100/BX100 work just as well. You can't really go wrong with any of the SSDs from the more known brands as they all offer much better performances and access times than the HDD but I personally prefer Crucial above all others, including Samsung.

Is the set-up process straightforward?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I was trying to update from the 10.10.3 Public Beta 3 to the final 10.10.3 but when it went to install and reboot after it downloaded the update it got stuck on a black screen with the cursor visible. It sat there for a few minutes before I got worried and started hitting keys only to have it beep at me. So I decided to force shutdown and rebooted.

Now it's booted back up, the update is no longer available in Software Update and my version is now the final build.

So either that was the fastest update ever or it fooled itself into thinking it's updated. Thing is Safari is updated so it must have updated. But I don't know when it updated. It only just finished downloading the files. Usually updates take like 20 minutes.

I'm a little confused. I'll have to see how well the update goes on my iMac.

mrkgoo

So I was trying to update from the 10.10.3 Public Beta 3 to the final 10.10.3 but when it went to install and reboot after it downloaded the update it got stuck on a black screen with the cursor visible. It sat there for a few minutes before I got worried and started hitting keys only to have it beep at me. So I decided to force shutdown and rebooted.

Now it's booted back up, the update is no longer available in Software Update and my version is now the final build.

So either that was the fastest update ever or it fooled itself into thinking it's updated. Thing is Safari is updated so it must have updated. But I don't know when it updated. It only just finished downloading the files. Usually updates take like 20 minutes.

I'm a little confused. I'll have to see how well the update goes on my iMac.

Is it possible the final public beta wasn't that different from the final release? I mean if this pretty much the same maybe it only updates what it needed to.

I'm not familiar with the beta, and this kind of thing is exactly why I don't participate in them. It's not worth the hassle.

I used to used program called time tracker (software in alpha, ironically lol) made by pacifist dev, that looks at your time machine backups and figures out the delta files - the actual files that were replaced in each backup. I'd use this to see what actually gets changed each back up. Haven't used it in a while though. For a whilentbwasnt giving the deltas properly.

Top Bottom