• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, Son of Saul. Also never would have thought to see a Mad Max movie get 10 noms. Also, what happened to Macbeth. I remember the buzz surrounding it and the praise for Fassbender, Cotillard and cinematography.

I think it got more of a tepid critical reception with the intial theatrical push than they were expecting so they just sort of let it die. There was only ever one theater near me even playing it and I live in the Washington DC area.

sora87

This has to be Leo's year surely, the other noms don't hold a candle to him.
Would also love When Marnie Was There to take best animated, Inside Out was alright but totally overrated.

Tarantino has always had Harvey Weinstein in his corner. I think the bigger issue for The Hateful Eight not getting more recognition is that it's a pretty brutal film and that rubs people the wrong way as they were expecting something more amusingly irreverent like most of his other films. It's a really tough watch, especially as it pushes the nihilism of something like Reservoir Dogs even further.

It's a dreadful movie without the witty dialogue from Reservoir Dogs.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I just about fell out of my seat when I read Ex Machina was nominated at all. I love that movie so much.

Plus, all the Fury Road nominations don't hurt.

BRING IT ON, OSCARS

Ridley327

Revenant is a brutal film too with things like the bear attack and fight at the end.

Yeah, but that film does have some kind of uplift to it, even if it mugs for it a bit. The Hateful Eight is as bleak as the winter storm it depicts through the bitter, bitter end.

Toxi

Banned
That has to be the most diverse set of Best Animated Feature nominees ever! As awesome as Inside Out was, a small part of me wants to see Anomalisa win just so people can take notice that animated films are a medium and not just a genre. They can be mature and not just regulated to Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.

Marnie or Boy and the World winning would just be "another foreign film" winning in the minds of many, unfortunately. Seeing a freaking Charlie Kaufman stop-motion animated movie win an Oscar would be something else.

Of course, Marnie may very well be the last Ghibli movie EVER, so that may be worth an Oscar in and of itself. And Inside Out is a Top 5 Pixar movie...

(Also, I just googled Boy and the World and it released in Brazil three years ago in 2013. So, better late than never, I guess?)
Sadly, Inside Out has this category on lock. And I love Inside Out, but it's frustrating how this category's basically become Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks' playing ground even in the years with other movies far outshine them. The voters don't even watch most of the movies.

Also, I don't get how The Hateful Eight gets nominations everywhere (except for Morricone, who should obviously get one), but SLJ gets shut out again. This happened with Django too, and SLJ as Stephen was one of the most evil creatures that I've seen on film ever, without a hint of contrivance or self-awareness.

When a black person plays a part that's too real, like the two SLJ parts or the stuff from Straight Outta Compton, the Academy shrinks from it. They only nom safe stuff from black folks like Beasts of the Southern Wild (which I liked, but that is the epitome of safety in the context of what mostly-white voters feel comfortable watching when it comes to a part of the black American experience).

yeah I said it in another thread but that film is like the perfect example of Oscar bait. I'm actually glad it got ignored.

There's nothing wrong with Oscar Bait if it's good.

People dismiss movies as "Oscar Bait" when what should be recognized is quality and quality alone.

pixelish

Yay, Son of Saul. Also never would have thought to see a Mad Max movie get 10 noms. Also, what happened to Macbeth. I remember the buzz surrounding it and the praise for Fassbender, Cotillard and cinematography.
weinstein company (the film's distributor) went all in with carol and hateful eight rather than macbeth and ended up with none of their films getting a best picture nod lol (probably the first year where they didn't get a single best picture nomination)

Griss

That's a really conservative slate of nominations, huh? Surprised that The Martian was nominated for best picture and best actor - I thought is was so mediocre. The Martian a better picture than The H8ful Eight? Get the hell out of here. No Sam Jackson or Goggins from that film?

Delighted for all my fellow Irish, though. Great day for us.

Jigorath

Banned
Tarantino has always had Harvey Weinstein in his corner. I think the bigger issue for The Hateful Eight not getting more recognition is that it's a pretty brutal film and that rubs people the wrong way as they were expecting something more amusingly irreverent like most of his other films. It's a really tough watch, especially as it pushes the nihilism of something like Reservoir Dogs even further.

They gave No Country for Old Men a bunch of Oscars. It doesn't get much bleaker than that.

This has to be Leo's year surely, the other noms don't hold a candle to him.
Would also love When Marnie Was There to take best animated, Inside Out was alright but totally overrated.

Would love to read the GAF thread if and when Leo get snubbed.

Xe4

Banned
Popping in go say those were some actually good nominations. Liked all the Fury Road and The Martian recognitions. Bothbwere fantastic moviea and deserve their time in the spotlight. Liked The Big Short, which is often less mentioned running for best picture.

Especially loved thr animation category. Even though Inside Out totally 100% is going to win (and it deserves it unlike the other two years), I'm glad stuff people probably never heard of like Anomalisa, The Boy and the World, and When Marine Was There got mentioned over Home, and other crap. Althiugh, I wouldn't have minded The Peanuts Movie over Marnie, because truth be told I liked it better. Still, solid nominations all around.

I enjoyed Bridge of Spies, so I'm happy to see that nominated. Fury Road deserves to win at least half of what it was nominated for, shame to not see it up for best score though.

pixelish

What's the chances of 'Amy' winning best documentary? Only one I saw last year and it was amazing.

probably a 60/40 race right now between amy and look of silence (my favourite docu last year). amy probably has the momentum right now with wins from some critic circle awards but look of silence just won the cinema eye which is a top documentary award.

Addi

I was hoping Victoria could get a foreign language nom, but then I realised most of the movie is in english :(

Boring Best Picture category...

Ridley327

They gave No Country for Old Men a bunch of Oscars. It doesn't get much bleaker than that.

Yeah, but (spoilers for The Hateful Eight)
at least some people do survive in NCfOM, including the one unquestionable force of good throughout the story. Everyone dies in Tarantino's film, with the last act that our heroes perform before bleeding out to hang a woman with smiles on their faces.

Hateful Eight got the stuff it deserved to get. Best Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Score. It could get the last two.

I'll lol if Leo gets his Oscar and then Inarritu gets absolutely nothing else because balance for Birdman

pixelish

hateful eight didn't get nominated not because of its bleak story (even though there are many other bleaker films that have won best picture) but rather, it wasn't that well received by critics and industry members to garner a nomination for the film and tarantino.

BowieZ

Banned
Also, I really, really hope that John Williams doesn't win for Star Wars. His score was seriously uninspired.
Huh. I thought it was rather inspired.

"Rey's Theme" is brilliant. It's straight out of Zelda or something, well, more Williamsy though.

His use of old themes is deft.

And there's some great other new material in there as well, especially "Scherzo for X-Wings," "The Ways of the Force" and the "Jedi Steps" ending sequence.

Edit: Just came across this really awesome cover of "Rey's Theme" with piano and violin and lightsaber bow lol

Sadly, Inside Out has this category on lock. And I love Inside Out, but it's frustrating how this category's basically become Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks' playing ground even in the years with other movies far outshine them. The voters don't even watch most of the movies.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm pretty sure the last time there was an Animated Feature winner outside of the big American animated studios was Spirited Away.

It sucks, because Inside Out was SO GODDAMN GOOD. And it DOES deserve this award, unlike other years where the Academy just gave it to whichever movie they recognized. Seeing it as the sole recognizable nominee in a group of very, very diverse films really makes the problem stick out though.

They finally get a great set of nominees, and it's the one year where Pixar finally has an outstanding film again. It's like all of those times Leo pulled out an amazing performance, but ended up being in the same category as Daniel Day Lewis or someone else doing a legendary performance.

AHA-Lambda

Once again it's quite shit that in the UK many of the big nominations still aren't out here yet >_>
Namely Revenant, Room, Trumbo, Spotlight and Big Short >_<

Some personal thoughts and predictions:

I'm sure Leo will get best actor, it's become too much of a joke now

Revenant will probably continue the trend of most nominations to least wins

Think it's a joke Hateful Eight wasn't more represented, it's 10 times the film that the mediocre Django ever was

Really surprised Martian and Mad Max got nominated o_O

Why is Rooney Mara in best supporting actress and Cate Blanchett in best actress? It should be the other way around! Rooney Mara is the main character of that film!

From what I've been hearing of it I can certainly see Spotlight taking the win for best picture

Sam Smith in best song? COME ON!!

EDIT: I was thinking of BAFTAs regarding Ridley Scott there >_<

Darkangel

I hope Leo doesn't get it just to keep the meme alive.

Fassbender winning would be nice. Surprised Steve Jobs didn't get a screenplay nomination.

AHA-Lambda

yeah I said it in another thread but that film is like the perfect example of Oscar bait. I'm actually glad it got ignored.

Same, I actually quite enjoyed the film but it's just another one of those films that makes me think "yeah it was good, but hardly oscar worthy" if you know what I mean?

Then again I'd say similar for Brooklyn =/

I loved Brooklyn but I am still a little surprised at the accolades. I can't see it winning Best Picture. There's just not that much to it.

Just a personal preference maybe, but I loved it I did, I'd love to see it win. More likely.... it'll either be (in my dumb worthless opinion) Room, The Revenant, Spotlight, or Bridge Of Spies.

The Danish Girl is not only the definition of oscarbait, its just an awful movie, pissed me off right off it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom