• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Star Wars had better not win for "visual effects". That would be complete BS. People wanted less CG and less scale and they got it and have to deal with it. Not sure about the editing node either. Sound design though that makes sense. It was pretty good.

Less CG doesnt mean it doesnt have good effects. There is this thing called practical effect, what the Original trilogy is mostly made of.

micster

Star Wars had better not win for "visual effects". That would be complete BS. People wanted less CG and less scale and they got it and have to deal with it. Not sure about the editing node either. Sound design though that makes sense. It was pretty good.

You realise visual effects doesn't just mean CG, right?

Meowster

Academy Award nominee Lady Gaga!

mvnNZ.jpg

Ahiru77

Nope, it's for winning, not being nominated. Even if he wins, he's still one off from the EGOT.

Glad to see Mad Max and Ex Machina get some love, and I still need to watch When Marnie Was There.

I mean he's legit in all acting classes now WITH RECEIPTS to show.

Nobody can say "Oh he's just good for television"......nope he's now factually the highest class of actor worthy of movie theater admission price.

NekoFever

Nobody won a visual effects Oscar before CG lol

Blader

Not very many surprises, except Carol getting squeezed out of both BP and Director, and the Room guy getting into Best Director over Ridley.

What an ironic username.

("Less scale"?)

You're not very well informed are you?

DrBo42

There's no way Stallone loses. He did a great job in Creed. Far better than the other actors contribution to their films.

Surprised Carol didn't get Best Picture nom!
Also surprising, no Ridley Scott for director; which is good cause 1. That movie is forgettable/mediocre. 2. This probably means George Miller will take it.

tomtom94

What was the point of expanding the number of Best Picture nominations if they're not even going to nominate ten films each year?

The Revenant – 12
Mad Max: Fury Road – 10
The Martian – 7
Carol – 6
Spotlight – 6
Bridge of Spies – 6
The Big Short – 5
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – 5
Room – 4
The Danish Girl – 4
Brooklyn – 3
The Hateful Eight – 3
Sicario – 3

Stolen from some other forum.

Mad Max 10 nominations? What kind of joke is this?

Emarv

There's no way Stallone loses. He did a great job in Creed. Far better than the other actors contribution to their films.

He'll win. But let's not pretend he's even close to the acting talent of literally everyone else in his category.

pixelish

dream oscar winner list
picture - mad max
director - george miller
actor - fassbander
actress - brie larson
supporting actor - mark rylance
supporting actress - jjl
animated - inside out
documentary - look of silence
original screenplay - inside out
adapted screenplay - room
cinematography - roger deakins, sicario (he needs to win one sooner or later!!!)
soundtrack - sicario
rest of the technical categories - mad max sweep

I thought Beasts of No Nation was fine and there may be some truth to the Netflix snub, but the categories where it would've been recognized were all rather crowded. Personally, I only think it deserved something for Abraham Attah and maybe cinematography.

Blader

cinematography - roger deakins, sicario (he needs to win one sooner or later!!!)

On the one hand, Deakins deserves an Oscar. On the other, it's not like his last few losses were undeserved. Lubezki's work on Gravity and Birdman was far more impressive than Prisoners (much as I loved it) and Unbroken, and the same is true this year too.

JSevere

Mad Max better eat

Haven't seen anything off the animated feature list other than Inside Out. It's a shame Peanuts Movie didn't get a mom, it was such a pleasant movie with a gorgeous art style, basically the Lego Movie of 2015. Good Dino is also the rare Pixar movie that didn't get nominated (only other is Cars 2 I think?). also really nice to see Shaun the Sheep get in there, it was much ignored at the box office so any recognition is great

Standout omissions from the films I saw.

Michael Shannon
Samuel L Jackson
Michael B Jordan
Charlize Theron
Jason Mitchell
Sicario
Straight Outta Compton

Toxi

Banned
I thought Beasts of No Nation was fine and there may be some truth to the Netflix snub, but the categories where it would've been recognized were all rather crowded. Personally, I only think it deserved something for Abraham Attah and maybe cinematography.
Abraham Attah's performance was fucking mind blowing. Dude's what, 15?

More like The Martian is nominated for 7 awards (including best picture and best actor!!!) WTF is this bullshit?

Academy loves there feel good come back story, both within the movie itself about universal cooperation in a crowd pleasing package, and the story of Ridley Scott not making a total dud again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom