• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Haven't seen Stallones performance yet, but I was pretty impressed by what Tom Hardy had to offer in The Revenant.
I can't not hear the bane voice when he speaks in that film. I dunno, thought The Revenant overall wasn't that great. That's probably making me biased.

Sephzilla

Goddamn, Fury Road got a lot of nominations.

SHINY AND CHROME

Also, I think ModBot needs to eat some crow since Fury Road got a Best Picture nomination.

pixelish

What is the difference between sound editing and mixing?
sound editing - sound effects
sound mixing - audio mixing/balancing

On the one hand, Deakins deserves an Oscar. On the other, it's not like his last few losses were undeserved. Lubezki's work on Gravity and Birdman was far more impressive than Prisoners (much as I loved it) and Unbroken, and the same is true this year too.

I thought John Seale did a better job with Mad Max's cinematography this year, but I'd be more than happy with the Deak getting one to retroactively make up for all the snubs when he actually should have won.

honestly, i wouldn't mind any of the nominees winning best cinematography. the past few years have been the finest years of cinematography. i'd even say we're now living in the golden age of cinematography.

Nothing too interesting here, much of what was expected, some of which is a bunch of nonsense in my mind, but that's always the case.

I'll watch very little of the show.

Parham

Banned
I would've preferred Straight Outta Compton getting a best picture nomination over Bridge of Spies or The Big Short.

DrBo42

Of the movies on I've seen, I would've preferred Straight Outta Compton getting a best picture nomination over Bridge of Spies or The Big Short.

More like The Big Snooze. It was like watching the same scene over and over until the market actually crashes. Really hard to get through.

Phamit

He didn't? What the fuck. Nominating Ridley Scott over him is ridiculous.

Scott isn't nominated

sound editing - sound effects
sound mixing - audio mixing/balancing

honestly, i wouldn't mind any of the nominees winning best cinematography. the past few years have been the finest years of cinematography. i'd even say we're now living in the golden age of cinematography.

Thx

I didn't see the Steve Jobs film. I did, however, see the Jobs film starring Ashton Kutcher. Is Mr. Fassbender's performance better than Mr Kutcher's?

I strongly disagree with the bolded, but yeah there are some good contenders this year.

Mistle

Fury Road nominations are awesome

Sad that Tarantino didn't get screenplay or director (or even best picture imo). Just got out of the roadshow not 2 hrs ago and he never disappoints, really pushes the boundaries on what you can do with the medium. Compared to something like The Martian which to me felt very safe, I'm pretty surprised at the amount of recognition it has gotten. Didn't hate the film or anything, it was kind of just unremarkable.

Star Wars should have been nominated for its set designs and costumes and such (I assume that's the production design category?).

inm8num2

Two things that immediately stood out were no Carol for best picture and no Ridley for best director.

Go Mad Max: Fury Road, go!

Camwi

Maybe if Fury Road wins all the awards, George Miller will admit that his comment about not directing anymore Mad Max movies was all a sad, sad joke.

:(

Ridley327

Fury Road nominations are awesome

Sad that Tarantino didn't get screenplay or director (or even best picture imo). Just got out of the roadshow not 2 hrs ago and he never disappoints, really pushes the boundaries on what you can do with the medium. Compared to something like The Martian which to me felt very safe, I'm pretty surprised at the amount of recognition it has gotten. Didn't hate the film or anything, it was kind of just unremarkable.

Star Wars should have been nominated for its set designs and costumes and such (I assume that's the production design category?).

More or less right, but it's meant more for the set designs than anything else.

Cerberus

Seems like The Revenant is the frontrunner for Best Picture? That's pretty crazy since it doesn't have a Screenplay nom or a SAG nom for Best Cast. Titanic was the last movie to win without a Screenplay nomination and Braveheart is the only movie to win BP without that SAG nomination.

Ridley327

He was campaigned by The Weinstein Company, so the movie automatically got a +3 score.

Tarantino has always had Harvey Weinstein in his corner. I think the bigger issue for The Hateful Eight not getting more recognition is that it's a pretty brutal film and that rubs people the wrong way as they were expecting something more amusingly irreverent like most of his other films. It's a really tough watch, especially as it pushes the nihilism of something like Reservoir Dogs even further.

Best Animated Feature:
Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

That has to be the most diverse set of Best Animated Feature nominees ever! As awesome as Inside Out was, a small part of me wants to see Anomalisa win just so people can take notice that animated films are a medium and not just a genre. They can be mature and not just regulated to Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.

Marnie or Boy and the World winning would just be "another foreign film" winning in the minds of many, unfortunately. Seeing a freaking Charlie Kaufman stop-motion animated movie win an Oscar would be something else.

Of course, Marnie may very well be the last Ghibli movie EVER, so that may be worth an Oscar in and of itself. And Inside Out is a Top 5 Pixar movie...

(Also, I just googled Boy and the World and it released in Brazil three years ago in 2013. So, better late than never, I guess?)

Yay, Son of Saul. Also never would have thought to see a Mad Max movie get 10 noms. Also, what happened to Macbeth. I remember the buzz surrounding it and the praise for Fassbender, Cotillard and cinematography.

Jarmel

Banned
Tarantino has always had Harvey Weinstein in his corner. I think the bigger issue for The Hateful Eight not getting more recognition is that it's a pretty brutal film and that rubs people the wrong way as they were expecting something more amusingly irreverent like most of his other films. It's a really tough watch, especially as it pushes the nihilism of something like Reservoir Dogs even further.

Revenant is a brutal film too with things like the bear attack and fight at the end.

Honestly pulling for The Martian, though I think Inside Out should have been nominated.

If Lady Gaga wins an Oscar before Leonardo though. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom