• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars change rules to "lessen bias towards old-school [2D] animation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And some other rules change no one cares about.
In the animation category, the new rule opens up nomination voting to the entire membership of the Academy. In the past, nominations have been voted by invited committees made up of a mixture of members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch and members from other branches. The committees have been under increasing criticism in recent years for shunning films like ”The Lego Movie" and showing a marked preference for hand-drawn or stop-motion films over CG movies.

Beginning this year, all members of the Academy will be invited to vote in the nominating round and will not have to attend special screenings. The move should substantially increase the number of voters in the category, and perhaps lessen the bias toward old-school animation.

http://www.thewrap.com/new-oscars-rules-knock-multi-part-documentaries-like-oj-made-america/
Academy Awards - Best Animation Winners said:
2001: Shrek
2002: Spirited Away
2003: Finding Nemo
2004: The Incredibles
2005: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
2006: Happy Feet
2007: Ratatouille
2008: WALL-E
2009: Up
2010: Toy Story 3
2011: Rango
2012: Brave
2013: Frozen
2014: Big Hero 6
2015: Inside Out
2016: Zootopia
Bias?
? said:
2006: Happy Feet
???
Some other 2006 films no one's ever heard of said:
paprika-movie-poster-2006-1020689313.jpg

the-girl-who-leapt-through-time-movie-poster-2006-1020522114.jpg

tekkonkinkreet-movie-poster-2006-1020483077.jpg

Burt

In case you didn't realize the Oscars are a sham

they're a sham

What am I missing here? A 2d film hasn't won since 2002.

Big studios colluding to squeeze out movies that would hurt their Oscar chances

Oscars translate directly into $$$, so you can't have those Ghibli films stealing the shine from Lego Batman.

Xe4

Banned
Yep, it's a bunch of BS. They're going to squander any goodwill they had left with regards to putting out good animation nominations.

I'll wait till January to make any final thoughts on the subject, but I'm not happy.
Here's what I put in a separate thread.

Also (I'm putting this in a separate post because I consider it important enough) the Oscars prove once again how they don't know what the fuck they are doing with respect to animated films.

Under the new Academy rules, nomination voting in the animated feature category will now be opened up to the entire eligible voting membership, instead of being restricted to the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch. From the Academy press release:

Invitations to join the [animated feature] nominating committee will be sent to all active Academy members, rather than a select craft-based group. Voting in the nominations round will now be preferential instead of based on a numerical scoring system. Members participating on the nominating committee may view films in their theatrical runs or at other screenings, through the Academy's streaming site or on DVDs/screeners to qualify to vote.
...according to a piece published by The Wrap. They report that there have been internal debates within the Academy about finding ways to eliminate ‘old school' animation and focus more attention onto commercial cgi projects:

The committees have been under increasing criticism in recent years for shunning films like The Lego Movie and showing a marked preference for hand-drawn or stop-motion films over CG movies...The move should substantially increase the number of voters in the category, and perhaps lessen the bias toward old-school animation.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/o...-films-best-animated-feature-race-150099.html

More Academy members will take part in choosing the nominees for the best animated feature Oscar under a new rule, which was announced Friday by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. And the immediate reaction among Oscar watchers was that it would boost widely seen studio films at the expense of smaller indie fare, the type of films New York-based indie distributor GKIDS Films has very successfully secured nominations for in recent years.
As the implications of the new rule set in, some sources in the animation community pointed out that not all Academy members, though they will be invited to participate in the nominating process, will step forward and opt in. And those who do will need to put in the time to see a required majority of contenders in order to cast their nomination vote.

For some, the new rule change was a long time coming. It's believed that fewer than 200 of the Academy's 7,000 members, mostly from the animation and shorts branch, have been involved in selecting the nominees in the animated feature category. This change, allowing more to participate, brings the process closer to the way BAFTA picks its animation nominees. It also reflect's the Academy's moves to expand the voting base for other categories such as foreign-language film.

Within the animation community itself, there also are competing camps. One has quietly acknowledged it has nominated hand-drawn 2D films to keep them in the public eye. And that has provoked complaints from others in the field. How that tension will play out under the new rule may depend on how many Academy members sign up to participate in the nomination-selection process.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...rules-could-impact-animation-community-992096

Bleh. To be honest, I can't tell you why I even bother with the Oscars in the animation category anymore. I hope for a miracle, but we all know it will be Disney/Pixar winning the award year after year after year after year.

Hopefully I'm freaking out over nothing, and the nominations are as excellent this year as ever, but something tells me this won't be the case.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TissueBox

I had to do a double-take there.

I guess they could be referring to more...accepted 2d nominees? I still don't see that checking out though lol. Would need a comprehensive overview of the past history the academy has with animation.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I feel like they need to change the rules towards minority actors too. I hear a handful have actually won at this point.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like every winner is not a 2d animation. What in the world.

Edit: God Big Hero 6 won? Lmao I forgot that.

It won over both Song of the Sea (fantastic) and The Tale of Princess Kaguya (masterpiece), yeah.

Xe4

Banned
It won over both Song of the Sea (fantastic) and The Tale of Princess Kaguya (masterpiece), yeah.

Yup. Frozen won over Ernest and Celestine and The Wind Rises as well. It's been going on for a while, but those back to back bullshit decisions really drew my ire.

Even though I personally thought Inside Out wasn't my favorite film, at least I can concede it was good enough to win. Same with Zootopia.

But man have they fucked up time and time again.

Disney/Pixar has won best animated film 9 times in the last 10 years, with Rango being the only exception. Just imagine if any other award was like that. People would be up in god damn arms, boycotting the fucking Oscars (as they rightfully should). But it's cartoons so it's cool apparently.

Xe4

Banned
lol this is such an :eek:scars way of handling criticism

That was already nominated last year. Biggest anime movie since Spirited Away and it got nothing.

To be fair, that's cause Funimation doesn't give a fuck about having their film nominated. If GKids had the distribution rights I can almost guarantee it would have been nominated.

It wouldn't have won though. Not running against a Disney film.

They should also make Best Comedy a category at the Oscars because they always get buried.

The Martian was so funny and was robbed.

never forget some of the comments from the voters regarding Song of the Sea
"Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw" etc

Just get rid of the category. Doesn't it usually only have like 3 nominees per year?
Just rid of the Oscars as a whole tbh.

The Handmaiden wasnt submitted for consideration by SK but it is far and away the best film released last year. Probably no submission because of the Oscars being stupid with numerous categories that arent BP

Just get rid of the category. Doesn't it usually only have like 3 nominees per year?

It has a lot, but it always defaults to Disney and Pixar. The comments a few years back (2013 I think) about Song of the Sea and The Tale of Princess Kaguya being Chinese crap (Song of the Sea is from Ireland) really showed how much the judges seem to care though

Xe4

Banned

5. And to be fair, they've been really fucking good lately, largely cause the animation branch actually gives a fuck about the films they're nominating (which is why this rule change is some shit).

But it may as well be 1, which is whatever the best film that Disney/Pixar puts out, because that's pretty much guaranteed to win anyhow.

I definitely had to read the OP a couple of times. I thought at first it was about making it easier for 2D movies but reading the replies it's the opposite.

Just rid of the Oscars as a whole tbh.

The Handmaiden wasnt submitted for consideration by SK but it is far and away the best film released last year. Probably no submission because of the Oscars being stupid with numerous categories that arent BP
I'd be fine with that. That's South Korea's fault that they went with the wrong film. Although it does make sense that a dumb award show would have dumb rules too.

5. And to be fair, they've been really fucking good lately, largely cause the animation branch actually gives a fuck about the films they're nominating (which is why this rule change is some shit).
But the Oscar voters don't and they just pick the Disney film. I bet they don't even watch all the animation submissions. Hell, I wouldn't.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy shit, Oscar really just solidifies my view on them being a joke on animation and non-bait movies.

It sucks that they twist my personal view on animation. It is definitely true that people have a very distinct bias on 2D films (that you see people claim crappy 2D shows are better than CGI for one), mainly stemming from this really sad belief that 2D is harder to do than 3D therefore is better, but this is really not in effect in Oscar nomination as I doubt 2D films win lately.

Way to shoot down an actual good stance with oscar politics and under the table garbage

The academy needs to stop with the obvious Disney bias and shoving animated movies into the ghetto that is their category.
Animation has been around since the dawn of film and it should get more respect from a group of 'prestigious' film voters.

Cipherr

Brave winning is some of the most blatant bullshit ever. No idea why anyone pays these awards any attention. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom