• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars change rules to "lessen bias towards old-school [2D] animation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
Flashback to that Oscar voter who literally called Princess Kaguya, one of the most powerful animated features in recent memory 'some Chinese cartoon' and said he just voted for Big Hero 6 because his kid liked it.

They're a joke.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A God damn shame since Summer Wars is my favorite movie of all time.

Much better than Digimon Movie and Hosada's finest, best work.

Flashback to that Oscar voter who literally called Princess Kaguya, one of the most powerful animated features in recent memory 'some Chinese cartoon' and said he just voted for Big Hero 6 because his kid liked it.

They're a joke.

Frozen too.

This shit triggers me to no end, and doubly so because now people will use this to shit on CGI in general.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Paprika losing to happy feet was fucking bullshit.
It was an inception before inception is a thing
To clarify, none of those movies were even nominated that year. The contest was Happy Feet, Cars and Monster House.

Lego Movie not getting nominated was a crime, but I don't think there's an anti-3D bias. There is a definite Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks bias, though. Those studios do have a great track record and make movies that earn most of their wins, but there are a few years where mediocre big studio movies have beaten out stronger films from smaller studios.

Laieon

Just rid of the Oscars as a whole tbh.

The Handmaiden wasnt submitted for consideration by SK but it is far and away the best film released last year. Probably no submission because of the Oscars being stupid with numerous categories that arent BP

I liked The Wailing (best movie of last year imo) more then the Handmaiden, but that wasn't nominated either so...

How about the bias against stop motion?!

Fantastic Mr Fox > Up
Kubo > Zootopia

I disagree with both of these.

The only stop motion movie I've ever liked is James and the Giant Peach.
It's easily my least favorite form of animation.

The Handmaiden wasnt submitted for consideration by SK but it is far and away the best film released last year. Probably no submission because of the Oscars being stupid with numerous categories that arent BP

The Handmaiden actually had a theatrical qualifying run in America and despite not being eligible for Best Foreign Film, it was eligible to be nominated for every other film category. It simply had no momentum during the campaign season.

They're a joke.
Was that phrase actually used? Holy shit.

Yeah I'm at a point with the Oscars where I just resent their influence on movies altogether.

Proof That Oscar Voters Are Clueless About Animation

Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

The Handmaiden actually had a theatrical qualifying run in America and despite not being eligible for Best Foreign Film, it was eligible to be nominated for every other film category. It simply had no momentum during the campaign season.

South Korea did not submit it as their main contender that's why it didn't get nominated.

This is the relevant quote:

Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Lego Movie not getting nominated was a crime, but I don't think there's an anti-3D bias. There is a definite Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks bias, though. Those studios do have a great track record and make movies that earn most of their wins, but there are a few years where mediocre big studio movies have beaten out stronger films from smaller studios.

lol

there was a transcript circulating in the net, can't find the screenshot right now

you might find it in cartoonbrew but that site is garbage

EDIT: there we go

thank goodness people did that, I hate going to that landfill of a site

Wag

Screen-Shot-2015-02-23-at-1.23.41-PM.png

So much better than most of the animated CG flicks that Hollywood puts out.

Did you even read my post?

Yes I did, but each country is only allowed one Foreign film each year to submit, and South Korea choose The Age of Shadows instead of The Handmaiden. I'm aware the film got released in the same year, but it couldn't get a nomination, because of South Korea snubbing it. I was on a bunch of film sites when this was announced and I remember people being really pissed off because of it.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/the-age-of-shadows-oscar-submission-the-handmaiden-1201721490/

I was won over by the majority of that film, as were a lot of people actually. Superb adventure film. I love Fantastic Mr. Fox too, though.

Well for me they were almost like 2 separate movies, maybe directed by 2 different people?. The first part being more grounded in reality, while the second has dogs flying biplanes with chew toys.

Wanderer5

So much better than most of the animated CG flicks that Hollywood puts out.

Song of the Sea especially was so freaking good, and I was happy to had checked out the Cartoon Saloon exhibit at the San Francisco Cartoon Art Museum before it closed.

I hope The Breadwinner and Wolfwalkers will be great too.

UberTag

So much for the pull of the GKIDS lobby. Their nomination streak is about to get nixed.
Good news for The Boss Baby, though. Now it will have a fair shake at an Oscar because some Academy members kids' talked about it a bunch.

FUNimation takes some of the blame in screwing up the release badly, from what I read.
Yeah, this is entirely on them. They just had to get in that qualifying run at a single theater in Los Angeles at the end of the year when 2016 had so many worthy contenders for best animated feature already.

As opposed to this year where the market is completely barren and shit like Cars 3 will land a nomination and possibly the Oscar due to nobody else showing up.

Well for me they were almost like 2 separate movies, maybe directed by 2 different people?. The first part being more grounded in reality, while the second has dogs flying biplanes with chew toys.

I bought that completely. For a film that's about more or less about an old man trying to go on one last journey, dogs flying plans added to the overall creativity, I thought.

Xe4

Banned
So much for the pull of the GKIDS lobby. Their nomination streak is about to get nixed.
Good news for The Boss Baby, though. Now it will have a fair shake at an Oscar because some Academy members kids' talked about it a bunch.

Yeah, this is entirely on them. They just had to get in that qualifying run at a single theater in Los Angeles at the end of the year when 2016 had so many worthy contenders for best animated feature already.

As opposed to this year where the market is completely barren and shit like Cars 3 will land a nomination and possibly the Oscar due to nobody else showing up.
Yeah, GKIDS is definetly going to be hit hardest with this.

I honestly wonder if The Breadwinner will be nominated. I'd have said it was a lock a month ago, but now I'm not so sure, even if it is fantastic.

They put in a ton of effort to get Summer Wars nominated and it went nowhere iirc
There's more to an Oscar nomination than just running it at a festival circuit. You have to do a ton of lobbying, which Funimation doesn't seem all that intrested in doing. I may be wrong WRT Summer Wars though.

Still, they should have tried way harder than they did with Your Name.

Yes I did, but each country is only allowed one Foreign film each year to submit, and South Korea choose The Age of Shadows instead of The Handmaiden. I'm aware the film got released in the same year, but it couldn't get a nomination, because of South Korea snubbing it.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/the-age-of-shadows-oscar-submission-the-handmaiden-1201721490/

You still don't understand what I'm saying. I know South Korea didn't submit The Handmaiden as their country's selection to be eligible to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film. However a Foreign Language Film even if selected by it's country can be eligible to be nominated for all other categories as long as it wasn't nominated by the Academy for Best Foreign Language film and it has a theatrical qualifying run in America.

The Handmaiden made a theatrical qualifying run in America and was eligible to be nominated for Best Picture and other film categories, but it was completely ignored.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/oscars-2016-tally-films-eligible-1201947036/

UberTag

You still don't understand what I'm saying. I know South Korea didn't submit The Handmaiden as their country's selection to be eligible to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film. However a Foreign Language Film even if selected by it's country can be eligible for to be nominated for all other categories as long as it wasn't nominated by the Academy for Best Foreign Language film and it has a theatrical qualifying run in America.

The Handmaiden made a theatrical qualifying run in America and was eligible to be nominated for Best Picture and other film categories, but it was completely ignored.

If nothing else, The Handmaiden clearly deserved a nomination for Production Design over Arrival.

Wag

a-cat-in-paris-poster.jpg

april1111.png

I'm a huge fan of 2D animation. These 2 recent flicks are also worth checking out. Both fantastic movies.

Unfortunately the best 2D animated movies (yes, I know, much of 2D animation is computer rendered) don't come out of the US anymore.

NovaSeesGorgonPictures1.jpg

I caught this today. Pretty good.

Wensih

It was better than Frozen.

Ehhhh.... I guess.... but it's also a movie that whitewashes Japan's role in WWII and their relations (Germany) and has a main character whose myopic vision of the world leads him to complicitly build war machines and justify his actions because he's an artist/engineer and therefore shouldn't be held accountable for death and suffering.

Edit: I should also know that I understand Miyazaki's personal views are that of a strong pacifist and proposed acknowledgement and education of Japan's wartime histories, something that the government is not keen on accepting, but none of this seemed to translate into the film as the main character was more concerned with his planes than he was with anything else in the film. I think there was some very good audio-visual design when things would blow up and the crash were sounds from children playing with toys, but the lack of responsibility or general awareness from the protagonist is off putting and muddles the message of being opposed to war.

Oscars have been shit for years. It's basically a lobby for self-promoting American movies.

Venice Film Festival and Cannes are what you should pay attention to.

Xe4

Banned
Ehhhh.... I guess.... but it's also a movie that whitewashes Japan's role in WWII and their relations (Germany) and has a main character whose myopic vision of the world leads him to complicitly build war machines and justify his actions because he's an artist/engineer and therefore shouldn't be held accountable for death and suffering.
I'm high of the opinion that Ernest & Celestine should have won that year. That movie was magical.

Oscars have been shit for years. It's basically a lobby for self-promoting American movies even in categories such as "best foreign actor".

Venice Film Festival and Cannes are what you should pay attention to.

There's no category for Best Foreign actor. LOL

The Oscars are great for highlighting films and providing attention to the public at large who may have missed them. I remember never hearing about the Secret of Kells until I saw it nominated, and said Damn, I need to watch it, and became a fan of Cartoon Saloon ever since.

If you ask me, the other categories should expand like Best Picture in including more nominations especially in the acting categories. To me it's less about winning, and more about highlighting more exceptional performances in film given the sheer amount of films being made now.

You still don't understand what I'm saying. I know South Korea didn't submit The Handmaiden as their country's selection to be eligible to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film. However a Foreign Language Film even if selected by it's country can be eligible to be nominated for all other categories as long as it wasn't nominated by the Academy for Best Foreign Language film and it has a theatrical qualifying run in America.

And it South Korea gave it a bigger push it could have gotten an even bigger chance of getting a nomination, since the academy voters are very fickle, but they didn't. Oh well! I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk anyway.

And it South Korea gave it a bigger push it could have gotten an even bigger chance of getting a nomination, since the academy voters are very fickle, but they didn't. Oh well!

Foreign Films have been nominated for other categories despite not being nominated for Best Foreign Film.

City of God is a good example and it was actually selected by it's country but it just didn't get nominated by the Academy, and then it made a qualifying theatrical run in America the following year and got nominated for 4 Acadamy awards; which is legal as long as it wasn't nominated for Best Foreign Film the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom