• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars change rules to "lessen bias towards old-school [2D] animation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xe4

Banned
He has an idea for a new film, but the film hasn't been greenlit yet and Miyazaki is just working by himself at the moment. It's not impossible that he'll actually make it eventually, but it seems unlikely to me. Since the production structure of Ghibli has been dismantled for a while now, it would take a good deal of time and effort to build that back up if Miyazaki does end up trying to make another film there.
Oh, thanks for the info.

It's more about the fact that 2d animation is still used a lot for smaller budget films, in europe and japan, but i mean.. Animation is animation to me. There isn't any type of .. difference to make in the way they are done. It's a weird idea that a certain technique should be more or less represented or more or less advantaged in awards.. At least a general award.

For sure. I think it's fair to say a lot of those CGI films that won deserved to win. I think it's also fair to say CGI animation is heavily over represented in terms of awards won.

Only two films (coincidentally? the only two foreign films to win) were not CGI. One was a claymation from England, and the other a 2-D animated film from Japan.

Ridley327

Big difference is that Disney spend money promoting their movies for the award selection. Call that lobbying. The japanese company do nothing except say "hey, we are nominated".

For Studio Ghibli, this is a lose situation considering Disney is distributing them in the US, and no way they will get first priority over Disney internal production.

Actually, GKids is Ghibli's distributor these days. The lack of new productions on their part has allowed for GKids to start going after the films that never made it to the US, which started with Only Yesterday last year and continued with Ocean Waves a couple of months ago. They've also done special screenings for the older films that Disney once handled, though the terms of the deal is that for now, Disney still holds onto the home video rights to those films that they did put out.

Ridley327

Classic example of lobbyism.

A foreign movie taking even just a nomination means a domestic produced movie losses millions.

This is such a baffling stance for the Academy to take, since your average GKids release is lucky to make in one weekend across the nation what your average Disney/Pixar release does in one solitary theater in the same span.

duckroll

This is such a baffling stance for the Academy to take, since your average GKids release is lucky to make in one weekend across the nation what your average Disney/Pixar release does in one solitary theater in the same span.

Not just about Japan. Europe manages to get stuff nominated sometimes too. No can do. Also, the Academy must protect the standards of the awards. Clearly no one really wants to watch 2D animation anymore, so they have to discourage voters from slipping back down the animation ghetto. CG or bust.

Ridley327

Not just about Japan. Europe manages to get stuff nominated sometimes too. No can do. Also, the Academy must protect the standards of the awards. Clearly no one really wants to watch 2D animation anymore, so they have to discourage voters from slipping back down the animation ghetto. CG or bust.

It's terrifying to think that because of these changes, something like the fucking Emoji movie has a chance of getting nominated over something more worthy.

yepyepyep

What a farce. Disappointing because a high profile award show like the oscars can help smaller independent films gain an audience or even distribution, even if they are only nominated. And as many have said, one 2D animated film has won but there is apparently a bias towards the medium? So dumb.

jstripes

Banned
It's funny, the animation category is generally sort of an outlier in the Academy Awards. In the live action categories, awards tend to go to pretentious Oscar bait, whereas in the animation category it goes to commercially successful kid-friendly movies.

Kinyou

It's just so crazy that anyone would think that the problem with the Lego movie snub was that a 2D movie was nominated. Like holy shit, they nominated How to train your dragon 2 over the Lego movie.

Don't get mad about the Oscars. It's just an outdated celebrity self-congratulatory wank fest. You should not give two shits.

wazoo

Disney is not distributing Ghibli films in the US anymore; GKIDS is. But Ghibli will probably never come out with another film, so they don't have to worry.

Miyazaki is retired (in fact every two years since 2000). Anyway, they will not close. They will produce movies with other directors. They already started with Red Turtle from Michael Dudok de Wit.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still a little shocked that Big Hero 6 won that category. I tend to just watch the mass market stuff, and only saw big Big Hero 6 and Lego movie that year, but Big Hero 6 was so mediocre and formulaic I can't imagine it winning any awards, outside of best kids movie for the lovable robot design and slapstick humor.

Lego Batman seems to be reviewing very well, but I could see how Dreamworks and Disney getting a free spot on the nomination list every year crowds out Warner Animation if they somehow don't have the lobbying power while the nominators want to use the last few spots to recognize more artistic stuff. It sure is depressing that their answer is to just crowd out the artistic stuff instead.

Miyazaki is retired (in fact every two years since 2000). Anyway, they will not close. They will produce movies with other directors. They already started with Red Turtle from Michael Dudok de Wit.

Most animators and other staff has moved on to other companies though (or start their own like Studio Ponoc), if they even worked directly for Glibli anyway.

Red Turtle was co-produced by Studio Ghibli with Wild Bunch in the sense that they provided funding, organization, and promotion, but all the actual animation was done in Europe. As far as I can tell from its credits, Toshio Suzuki and Isao Takahata were the only figures from Ghibli involved in the film.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's just so crazy that anyone would think that the problem with the Lego movie snub was that a 2D movie was nominated. Like holy shit, they nominated How to train your dragon 2 over the Lego movie.

A more coherent movie? Yeah it got nominated for that.

kottila

Still can't believe mary & max wasn't even nominated in 2009. One of the best movies I saw that year. 95% on RT and 8.2 on IMDB.

RRockman

Banned
Please. Watch more animated movies.

There is absolutely a bias towards American stuff, particularly Disney, but let's not pretend anime movies are godlike and would sweep every year it ran in.

I was joking :p. There's plenty of films and series from other countries that are great. I'm obsessed with The Long Long Holiday right now actually. I guess if it was a film then these so called "rules change" would benefit it since it is 3d.

Honestly I had always just assumed that the voters were from the general pool and didn't need to have an animation background. I figured that was why smaller, non-Pixar/Disney films seemed to get snubbed every year. The fact that they're changing the rules to exacerbate this overlooking of quality non-CG films is baffling to me.

I mean, I liked Lego Movie, but god damn. People seriously got mad that Princess Kaguya got nominated over that?

antibolo

Banned
Oscars have been shit for years. It's basically a lobby for self-promoting American movies.

Venice Film Festival and Cannes are what you should pay attention to.

What.

All awards shows in every creative field are ALWAYS a vehicle for self-promotion. They wouldn't have a financial reason to exist otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom