• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars change rules to "lessen bias towards old-school [2D] animation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's code for trying to reduce the number of foreign movies receiving animation nominations.

To win in this category:

1. Kids have to know about it.

and

2. It has to make a lot of money. More than your competition.

CONGRATS, YOU WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FILM.

It's easily the worst, most bullshit category. It's the "let's give Disney a prize" award. I find it utterly useless.
Yeah. Was hoping they'd stop with the Disney shit and give Anomolisa an Oscar but no dice. Maybe whenever that new Wes Anderson stop motion film comes out they can gift it to him and retire the bloody category.

So essentually "fuck indie animated films". They'll continue to treat animation as a low form of entertainment, basically. Serious academy!

Also they're now allowing film scores with more then three composers the chance to get nominated, (Zimmer & the remote control team have a better chance at getting nominated for certain scores), although the academy has never really enforced that rule well, since The Last Emperor won best original score, and that had three credited composers.

SURGEdude

Is this about anime? It seems to be the predominant form of 2D animation by volume in America today from what I can tell. It's also associated with 2 groups that aren't very Hollywood, Trump/Alt-righters and socially non-norm people.

2D animation is a really time consuming artistic endeavor. There needs to more focus on it rather than less.

I'm not interested in 2D vs. "3D" CGI, since they can both be used for good and ill, and the definitions are quite interchangeable.

Is this about anime? It seems to be the predominant form of 2D animation by volume in America today from what I can tell. It's also associated with 2 groups that aren't very Hollywood, Trump/Alt-righters and socially non-norm people.

2D animation is a really time consuming artistic endeavor. There needs to more focus on it rather than less.

I'm not interested in 2D vs. "3D" CGI, since they can both be used for good and ill, and the definitions are quite interchangeable.

I think its more Disney/Pixar vs everyone else. Like with Laika films (Kubo and the Two Strings, Coraline) they dont get much either

Is this about anime?

Hardly exclusively. There's interesting 2D features coming out from places such as Ireland and France among other countries, as well as the whole category of stop-motion animation. If you look at Oscar nominations to this category in recent years there's actually been a good spectrum of nominees, even if the Disney film always wins in the end.

Xe4

Banned

It's actually simpler than that. It's about big american companies putting out forgettable kids movies loosing to wonderful foreign films, particularly since the success of GKids. Instead of putting out better, more artistically creative films, they'd rather stifle the competition.

Can't have Finding Dory loosing to My Life as a Courgette or The Red Turtle.

the Paprika and tekkon pics hurt my soul. Masterful animaged movies

This is a good change

It's kind of confusing, but this is actually a bad change for those type of movies. It's going to kill the chances foreign and non CGI films have of getting animated.

KraytarJ

Thank God they're fixing it. I didn't quite think the deck was stacked against 2D animation after Your Name got snubbed so now I can rest easy.

The category's been a joke for the longest time anyway. It used to be a yearly Pixar award that's just being moved to being a yearly WD animation award. I mean I think I liked Brave more than most people but there's now way it even should have been a nominee let alone a winner.

jrcbandit

They should just eliminate this category entirely. They give it to any piece of trash Disney/Pixar puts out, although at least Zootopia and Inside Out were pretty good movies the last 2 years but still didn't deserve to win compared to other animated films. Out of the films that won, Spirited Away and The Incredibles deserved their wins, possibly Toy Story 3. Any of the others?

Sunster

It's not just Oscar bias. Lego movie reviews blew my mind. That movie was so bland and standard and the industry treated it like a revelation in film. Any CG kid movie that makes money gets good reviews and idk why.

Ridley327

Welp, this just makes it harder for GKids to get recognition now for all of the foreign pickups that they do. Between this and the recent documentary rule changes, the Academy really seems intent on coming off as more cloistered towards films that don't fit their standards.

It's not just Oscar bias. Lego movie reviews blew my mind. That movie was so bland and standard and the industry treated it like a revelation in film. Any CG kid movie that makes money gets good reviews and idk why.

Think again:
abqCll5.png

Wanderer5

This is going to screw over foreign/indie animation stuff isn't it. Bias lol, oh please. I appreciate that the nominations usually have been nicely mixed between 3D and 2D, with some other form of media (ala stop motion) coming in on and off.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I mean god, indie and foreign animated films were getting the short of the stick already. The Academy literally might as well just send them a letter saying "Fuck off".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How about the bias against stop motion?!

Fantastic Mr Fox > Up
Kubo > Zootopia

Yes and No

There is definitely a bias towards 2D in certain circles and is actually a stigma as people claim CGI is cheap, but certainly not in the oscars.

Mr Fox is a more substantial movie than Up though. I feel like people were won over by the prologue and not much else.

Yes. Yes another person who thinks the same thing about Up like me!

They should just eliminate this category entirely. They give it to any piece of trash Disney/Pixar puts out, although at least Zootopia and Inside Out were pretty good movies the last 2 years but still didn't deserve to win compared to other animated films. Out of the films that won, Spirited Away and The Incredibles deserved their wins, possibly Toy Story 3. Any of the others?

Rango. Though I guess you mean strictly Disney/Pixar.

Honestly I feel Kung Fu Panda, its sequel, and How to Train Your Dragon deserve the oscar more than the winner in their regards too.

I'll give you Boss Baby but Smurfs isn't performing well in the BO so doesn't count.
Performing well at the BO does not guarantee good reviews. Your problems with The Lego Movie are your own personal opinions but many people were amazed that a movie starring Legos was well written and animated instead of being a lazy cash grab.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Performing well at the BO does not guarantee good reviews. Your problems with The Lego Movie are your own personal opinions but many people saw a quality movie from a property many people thought was just gonna be a quick money grab.

I do dislike certain of the reviews it gets, particularly RLM's one.

"It's a deconstruction of the Chosen One!"

Bull fucking shit. You know what movie actually did that? Zootopia.

Lynd7

Ridiculous..

Wasn't there a thing written awhile ago saying most academy members just vote for whatever their kid liked for animation? Hardly no one even watched em?

Foreign and 2D animation repeatedly gets shafted at the oscars for mostly trash tier film making.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So big movie studios complaining that their expensive generic drivel isnt winning awards, gotcha.

The spin in that statement though, omg, thats some Trump administration level bullshit right there

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
uhhhh...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the complete opposite?

The word "bias" is annoying like that.

You can be "biased against" something, meaning you show disfavor for something.

You can be "biased towards" something, meaning you show favor for something.

To be fair, that's cause Funimation doesn't give a fuck about having their film nominated. If GKids had the distribution rights I can almost guarantee it would have been nominated.

It wouldn't have won though. Not running against a Disney film.
They put in a ton of effort to get Summer Wars nominated and it went nowhere iirc

antibolo

Banned
I wish the Oscars would just remove the animation category altogether, instead of continuing to pretend that they treat animation with any sort of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom