• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars change rules to "lessen bias towards old-school [2D] animation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foreign Films have been nominated for other categories despite not being nominated for Best Foreign Film.

City of God is a good example and it was actually selected by it's country but it just didn't get nominated by the Academy, and then it made a qualifying theatrical run in America the following year and got nominated for 4 Acadamy awards; which is legal as long as it wasn't nominated for Best Foreign Film the year before.

Those examples are few and fair between, of course. Personally I think The Handmaiden should have gotten a few technical nods at least, but it didn't, of course.

Those examples are few and fair between, of course. Personally I think The Handmaiden should have gotten a few technical nods at least, but it didn't, of course.

A lot of films and performances get snubbed every year. Some films get more momentum than others like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, City of God, and Pan's Labyrinth. The Handmaiden had no momentum during Awards season. It happens.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I couldn't believe when I found out that voting committee members aren't required to watch the movies they are voting on.

Imagine a panel judge missing 4 of 5 performances and voting to give the award to the one they watched.

I couldn't believe when I found out that voting committee members aren't required to watch the movies they are voting on.

Imagine a panel judge missing 4 of 5 performances and voting to give the award to the one they watched.

A lot of them abstain if that's the case.

Xe4

Banned
What about fixing the anti Japanese bias?

I mean they would probably win every year but still

Please. Watch more animated movies.

There is absolutely a bias towards American stuff, particularly Disney, but let's not pretend anime movies are godlike and would sweep every year it ran in.

I guess. I just think there are a lot of Western animated films that get shafted too.

True, but I think foreign animated films get shafted worse especially the year Big Hero 6 won when Song of the Sea and The Tale of Princess Kaguya were much better and more interestingly animated and culturally important films than a bog standard super hero origin story.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
True, but I think foreign animated films get shafted worse especially the year Big Hero 6 won when Song of the Sea and The Tale of Princess Kaguya were much better and more interestingly animated and culturally important films than a bog standard super hero origin story.

the funny thing is while it is generally better than the source material, they took out stuff that made it stand out

the costume dude for instance became an actual monster, and that was part of his theme - he has a regular name yet is stuck as a monster

basically the Disney version had aspects that would actually make for a good movie with Japanese superhero tropes, yet they doubled down on it being so safe.

wazoo

Oscars are a marketing machine used to promote US movies. That is why studios spend lot of money to push their own movies. They expect more money back.

Oscars always had a biais. You can not be nominated for best movie if the movie is not in english (then when a french movie like The Artist has no sound, it wons :) )

And of course, you can not see everything. Voters receive tapes (at least from the nominees) but do the have time or taste to get it right ?

Oscars are a marketing machine used to promote US movies. That is why studios spend lot of money to push their own movies. They expect more money back.

Oscars always had a biais. You can not be nominated for best movie if the movie is not in english (then when a french movie like The Artist has no sound, it wons :) )

And of course, you can not see everything. Voters receive tapes (at least from the nominees) but do the have time or taste to get it right ?

Every award show has a bias. If you have an opinion, you have a bias.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It won as an act of publicity though. You could tell they would have given it to La La Land if they felt like they had a choice.

Let's be real here, it won mainly because of a massive hate campaign against La La Land simply for existing. Even Barry Jenkins thought is was too much, and it was his movie that benefited.

Moonlight is the second lowest grossing Best Picture winner ever- only The Hurt Locker made less, when adjusted for inflation. They made April Reign happy- although she's insisting she had nothing to do with it, and is spinning this so hard she might was well be Danny Sullivan- but it really didn't help the public perception of the Oscars for the last decade or so being mainly for rewarding arthouse films nobody sees.

They should do away with runoff balloting and tiered balloting. That should help.

ZoddGutts

31LK69V.jpg

Maybe this has a chance of at least getting nominated, better film than 'your name' too. Some Pixar/Disney film will win it again this year like any year.

notaskwid

So, in the last 15 years a single 2d hand drawn movie won the oscar, and there is a bias towards 2d animated movies? Ok

Lesse the bias, because they won. Lot in the last years, amirite?
Wind rises was REALLY good..
But your name.. Heck your name deserves win it all...

ScribbleD

Read the title and just naturally assumed they meant a negative bias against 2D movies, but that's not the case? Lol what? I especially love the part about how academy judges showed a preference toward stop motion.

Paranorman and Kubo were robbed.

Read the title and just naturally assumed they meant a negative bias against 2D movies, but that's not the case? Lol what? I especially love the part about how academy judges showed a preference toward stop motion.

Paranorman and Kubo were robbed.

LOL Kubo is not better than Zootopia.

You may have a better argument with Paranorman against Brave.

Fbh

Lol what?... WHAT???

Aren't all winners from the last 10 years or so CGI? What bias are they even talking about?
So instead of having 1% chance of winning 2D films should have a 0.1% ?

If there is bias towards anything it's Disney. I'll say that both inside out and Zootopia were good enough to deserve the award. But Big Hero 6 and Brave winning was just a joke.

Platy

Flashback to that Oscar voter who literally called Princess Kaguya, one of the most powerful animated features in recent memory 'some Chinese cartoon' and said he just voted for Big Hero 6 because his kid liked it.

They're a joke.

The kid thing slayed me =|

Won

Only learned about the Your Name snub yesterday, so seeing this thread is like wtf.

And man, the list of winners in the last 15 years is just embarrassing.

Cartman86

Banned
Bias in nomination process. If everyone gets to vote for the winner of best animated picture and they often complain that the film they want to vote for isn't even nominated why not give them the opportunity to change that? I mean yeah you are giving into these babies and their possible shit tastes but as you can see by many of the actual winners the end result will probably be pretty similar.

Xe4

Banned
Bias in nomination process. If everyone gets to vote for the winner of best animated picture and they often complain that the film they want to vote for isn't even nominated why not give them the opportunity to change that? I mean yeah you are giving into these babies and their possible shit tastes but as you can see by many of the actual winners the end result will probably be pretty similar.

Because they don't know what the fuck they are doing. The only people who should be voting on best animated feature either in the nomination process or in the general vote are those who either work in animation, or have a profound interest in the medium. The reason Disney wins year after year is that a general Joe schmoe votes for whatever their kid takes them to see, or whatever fits their narrow view of the artform. These people should never vote for best animated feature.

It works the other way too. If I'm a key frame artist, what the fuck do I know about sound design or costume design. Nothing, of course. So why the fuck should I be voting on those topics?

All this move is going to do is move the selection of big budget American films from the general vote to the nomination vote, cutting off great films from smaller and foreign companies. That is always a bad thing. Say goodbye to Boy and the World, or The Secret of Kells, or A Cat in Paris, or Princess Kaguya being nominated in the future. It really helped them out and brought them a bunch of attention, but you can kiss the majority of that goodbye now.

wazoo

Big difference is that Disney spend money promoting their movies for the award selection. Call that lobbying. The japanese company do nothing except say "hey, we are nominated".

For Studio Ghibli, this is a lose situation considering Disney is distributing them in the US, and no way they will get first priority over Disney internal production.

fhqwhgads

Shouldn't nominations be about the quality of the movie and not about it's animation style?
What does this mean? We're gonna see The Boss Baby get nominated just so they can even out the 2D to 3D ratio?

What.

When was the last time a 2D animated film won an Oscar? When was the last time an American studio made a 2D animated film, period?

PillarEN

Whaaaaaa? I got the impression that hand drawn movies in general are somewhat of an endangered species. Especially for theater releases.

Big difference is that Disney spend money promoting their movies for the award selection. Call that lobbying. The japanese company do nothing except say "hey, we are nominated".

For Studio Ghibli, this is a lose situation considering Disney is distributing them in the US, and no way they will get first priority over Disney internal production.

Disney is not distributing Ghibli films in the US anymore; GKIDS is. But Ghibli will probably never come out with another film, so they don't have to worry.

Xe4

Banned
Disney is not distributing Ghibli films in the US anymore; GKIDS is. But Ghibli will probably never come out with another film, so they don't have to worry.

Hayao Miazaki is developing a film as we speak. Dude can't retire, I think it physically pains him or something, lol.

Hayao Miazaki is developing a film as we speak. Dude can't retire, I think it physically pains him or something, lol.

He has an idea for a new film, but the film hasn't been greenlit yet and Miyazaki is just working by himself at the moment. It's not impossible that he'll actually make it eventually, but it seems unlikely to me. Since the production structure of Ghibli has been dismantled for a while now, it would take a good deal of time and effort to build that back up if Miyazaki does end up trying to make another film there.

This move genuinely feels slightly racist given the implication of what is being shunned here. Then again it also impacts a lot of French animation as well but the angle of concentrating on the racial politics seems like the stronger strategy in light of all the whitewashing accusations.

orioto

Good Art™
It's more about the fact that 2d animation is still used a lot for smaller budget films, in europe and japan, but i mean.. Animation is animation to me. There isn't any type of .. difference to make in the way they are done. It's a weird idea that a certain technique should be more or less represented or more or less advantaged in awards.. At least a general award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom