• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| ArcheAge - Queuing Simulator 2014

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Woah. Only a few servers have queues during prime time. And the ones that do (such as Salphira, the one I am on) was only 10 people long.

I guess that 5 minute AFK bug really helped out lol

All but 3 servers have queue and I was gonna call you a liar, but then i clicked on Naima and the queue was 12 people :lol

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
To cut straight to my noob questions:

Will I only be questing/dungeoning straight up to 50?

Practically everything you do gives XP. You could level from 1-50 just farming if you want although I would recommend doing the story quest since it's the only way to get gilda stars for buying houses and stuff aside from doing the small handful daily quests.

Is PvP only open world, and can I compete in open world combat before 50?

The early zones are non-PVP for your same faction but the later zones are generally in a state of unrest or war which means you can attack other players of the same faction if you put yourself in bloodlust mode which just requires a hotkey press and is instant. A couple of times per day there are peacetimes in those zones where you can no longer attack other players. If you travel to the other continent then you are always attackable by the other faction no matter what level you are but I'm pretty sure you can't attack someone else first if you're in one of their safe zones. The open sea works like the other PVP zones and has times of unrest and peacetimes.

Can someone describe crafting and the economy for me?

There is a lot of stuff to craft but basically most stuff in the game is player made and the best stuff always is player made. There are many niches to fill, you can do farming of crops, animals or timber. From animal can get stuff like eggs, hide, fur/down, honey...all sorts of stuff that is required to make other items. You can even breed animals if you manage to get males and females. The males are very rare. You can plants trees that give fruit which you can harvest a few times per day. Or you can grow trees for lumber. There's also underwater farming and fishing. It's quite deep.

The other part of the economy is doing trade runs where you make an item at specialty crafting stations that make unique goods and then you deliver them to other parts of the continent for gold or risk taking them overseas for more gold or gilda stars. While you're carrying a pack you move very slowly and if die anyone can take your pack.

What are the "extracurriculars" outside of quests/dungeons? I keep hearing about piracy and farming, anything else? I started archer/shadow play, I'm assuming that's okay?

Aside from the stuff I mentioned you can build boats for pleasure sailing, transporting goods or naval battles, you can look for treasure in the ocean, you can decorate your house and you can even get involved in real estate since you can buy and sell houses that are already placed.

Piracy comes from attacking players in the open sea or trying to delivery goods on your continent and stealing their goods for your own profit. Going in to bloodlust mode and killing your own faction is a reportable crime as is stealing crops that someone planted outside their land. If you're reported you may face a trial and get sent jail and you get infamy points. If you get too many infamy points you become a pirate and can be attacked by anyone at any time, even your own faction. There is an island that is basically a pirates haven and you'll probably have to live there if you become one.

There is also a 3rd continent where either faction can build their own cities that are attackable but that's a whole other side to the game which I'm not that familiar yet with.

There is more stuff but that's the gist of it.

Zero2kz

All but 3 servers have queue and I was gonna call you a liar, but then i clicked on Naima and the queue was 12 people :lol

In my defense I posted that around 6:30 PM EST, so I guess it wasn't prime time for the whole US. Most of west coast might have still been at work/school. Still not bad though.

I think we should at the very least add our character name and realm (and have it reflected in the OP) so people can find others to group with.

So uh...I'll go first.

Character Name: Om
Realm: Naima
Play time: 6 - 2am EST, and sometimes 11am - ???pm when I'm not working
Crafting Profession: None at the moment (I know wut) I wanted to level a bit via storyline, but right now I'm focusing on tailoring...I just need some land.

I think we should at the very least add our character name and realm (and have it reflected in the OP) so people can find others to group with.

So uh...I'll go first.

Crafting Profession: None at the moment (I know wut) I wanted to level a bit via storyline, but right now I'm focusing on tailoring...I just need some land.
Should probably mention if you're East or West faction as well

Name: Kasuhr
Faction: East

I randomly play, not a hardcore MMO player or anything like that so sometimes I may get on frequently, sometimes I may not get on for a while. Haven't really decided on what I'll focus on doing yet.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

So uh...I'll go first.

Make sure to write Faction, because people won't be able to talk to each other if they're the other Faction.

Character Name: Milena
Server: Naima
Region: West/Nuia
Crafting Profession: Getting started on Alchemy&Cooking for guild reasons
Level: 41

Zero2kz

So uh...I'll go first.

Name: Decapre
Realm: Salphira
Play Time: 5 - 11 pm EST

Currently level 34, will be starting another character soon

Azull

Character Name: Azull
Play time: Usually over the weekends but that's only if my Law school studies aren't murdering me. Also I'm EST btw.

Ashodin

Name: Lycian
Server: Ezi
Faction: East
Play time: 12 AM - 4 AM EST Wed - Sat
6 PM - 4 AM (random within these hours) Sun - Tues
Level: 20

K.Sabot

So the way APEX is upwardly trending and everything else is crashing I should be able to buy Patron status with gold in...

never.

Name: Rico
Server: Ezi
Faction: Nuia
Level: 29

Tried this out and its not bad so far.

Name: Bloodmoon
Server: Lucius
Region: East
Level: 15

anyone know a good build for a rogue type class?

Icomp

Any ways to get this game to look "great"? I have everything at max but the draw distance is terrible. Loads of pop-ins and stuff like that.

On another note, I waited like 1h to play the game last night on EU. /dead

K.Sabot

gsdC2gD.jpg

shoutouts to finding secret tree farms, never gets old.

Won

Got to the final part of the fishing quest. The bait for sport fishing seems reeeally expensive. Have to see how this plays out.

Also too many people doing the Falcorth/Rookborne trade run. :( I need more apples!

Tash

Got to the final part of the fishing quest. The bait for sport fishing seems reeeally expensive. Have to see how this plays out.

Also too many people doing the Falcorth/Rookborne trade run. :( I need more apples!

Did you pay 200g for that thing?

Icomp

Is a GAF-guild planned? If so, EU/US? I could see myself playing this for a while actually and would love to play with someone. (I'm EU myself)

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is a GAF-guild planned? If so, EU/US? I could see myself playing this for a while actually and would love to play with someone. (I'm EU myself)

At the moment things are looking to pan out like GAF WoW with no real "official" guild. If anyone has a guild they'd like GAF members to join just throw it up here and I'll put it in OP.

Won

Haha, sorry. I meant that there is an item you can buy called fishing license but it costs like 200g?

Hell no. You need the license to build the boat and that's still the easiest part. I'm not gonna build that any time soon, though it's probably the next long term goal I'm aiming for.

Sport fishing only requires the rod, a lure and buckets of chum. The buckets and lure cost vocation now though. (was a cooking thing in the past) And while the lure seem to be cheap, buying the 3 buckets for the fishing quest line took like 1/4 of my vocation.

Ashodin

The sandbox elements and crafting seem really appealing to me but the combat just looks ... ugh :(
mindnumbing

Guess I'll give it a go anyway
It's personally the best version of tab target MMO combat I've seen with no dodging. The combos you can string together can make combat feel fluid and unique depending on what you string together. Some abilities have several other abilities that link into the combo.

Ashodin

Neo GAF guild seems pretty small, if you want larger numbers, I'd join a larger guild, but GAF will have a better community.

FWIW, I'm not in a guild or anything because I want to play just with my fiancee and also go about it wild west style. Frontier living, making my own way, etc

nataku

Is the in game wiki broken for anyone else (Shift + /)? It was working a couple days ago, but now all I get is the glyph account log in page. I don't see why I would need to log in like that just to view the wiki.

EDIT: But apparently I do. Just tried it. Hopefully it remembers that and doesn't make me log in anymore.

Tash

So, we built our first boat, took a boat exploration trop (did some diving, did some shooting at things randomly) until we passed a boat with purples. They harpooned us in and after a quick fight we ended up dead and they drove off with our brand-new boat.

We rode back to see if they were still around and my guildie, who was the owner of the boat, used a healing thingie for boats and it just respawned again.

Fun surprise. However, even if we didn't get the boat back, that was a fun experience (also fought some random sea creatures during all this.

timkunedo

So, we built our first boat, took a boat exploration trop (did some diving, did some shooting at things randomly) until we passed a boat with purples. They harpooned us in and after a quick fight we ended up dead and they drove off with our brand-new boat.

We rode back to see if they were still around and my guildie, who was the owner of the boat, used a healing thingie for boats and it just respawned again.

Fun surprise. However, even if we didn't get the boat back, that was a fun experience (also fought some random sea creatures during all this.

I love reading about adventures like these. It is my understanding that you can't permanently lose your boat. You can have it destroyed where, like you said, you have to repair it. someone correct me if I'm wrong. At least you didn't have trade packs on you at the time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
after today's patch I keep getting disconnected a minute after I log into my character

I load into the game and it just says "the gods have disconnected you" and kicks me out again and again

Top Bottom