• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| ArcheAge - Queuing Simulator 2014

ZenVolta

So Iv seen a few players with the "wanted" debuff. Theyre the same faction as me. Should I bloodlust and kill them or leave them be?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So... I downloaded this game during Open Beta, played it for about an hour and promptly uninstalled it. Something just felt clunky about the combat and movement. Also, the starting area seemed to be derivative MMO fare, with mind numbing "kill X things/talk to Y guy" quests.

Now I'm seeing that the game is packed and this OT is trucking along. I know I didn't give the game much of a chance. Do things get a lot better outside the starting area?

So... I downloaded this game during Open Beta, played it for about an hour and promptly uninstalled it. Something just felt clunky about the combat and movement. Also, the starting area seemed to be derivative MMO fare, with mind numbing "kill X things/talk to Y guy" quests.

Now I'm seeing that the game is packed and this OT is trucking along. I know I didn't give the game much of a chance. Do things get a lot better outside the starting area?

Yes, much better.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

The game does so many things you can't do in other MMOs. The questing is the least interesting part of the game IMO.

For me it's all about commerce so I spend a lot of time farming but you can also spend a lot of time sailing, fishing, PVPing, crafting etc. Lots of stuff to do.

ZenVolta

The game does so many things you can't do in other MMOs. The questing is the least interesting part of the game IMO.

For me it's all about commerce so I spend a lot of time farming but you can also spend a lot of time sailing, fishing, PVPing, crafting etc. Lots of stuff to do.

Remember, that to get the most out of Archeage you have to be a patron ie pay a monthly fee. Starting at 15$ a month to 65.94 for 6 months.

Ashodin

I'm cookie cutter tank. Just plain out tank. I have... One good damage skill, the rest is all tankiness and cc/trips/stuns. When I pop out my shield (aside from 12 seconds invincibility) it's tankin time.

Abolisher (Battlerage/Defense/Auramancy)
Wat up my battlerage auramancy brother. I'm vitalism. Argent for life

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wat up my battlerage auramancy brother. I'm vitalism. Argent for life

No man.

Defense Redoubt Skill: +31% Block Rate and immunity to Push&Knockdown for 20s
Auramancy Liberation Skill: Silence&Shackle Immunity for 20s

Combo-skill for the above 2 that activates: Magic Shield: Gain 1700 Magic Defense for 20s (!)

I can finally tank mages too and not just physical :lol

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Downloaded this game around midnight last night. Played for around 3 1/2 hours and got to level 17. Went to work on 2 hours of sleep. Horrible... but worth it. Stuck in queue and I'm itching to play :(

Smiley90

. . . wait, really?

Yes. You can buy "APEX" with ingame currency. 1 APEX atm goes for around 60 gold, I think? At least on Naima. And 60 gold is real easy to get. (like a week of light play and continuous spending for me). Youneed 2 APEX for 1 month of patron. (so saving ingame currency for a week or so should be good. maybe more as demand for APEX goes up)

Ashodin

No man.

Defense Redoubt Skill: +31% Block Rate and immunity to Push&Knockdown for 20s
Auramancy Liberation Skill: Silence&Shackle Immunity for 20s

Combo-skill for the above 2 that activates: Magic Shield: Gain 1700 Magic Defense for 20s (!)

I can finally tank mages too and not just physical :lol

That sounds like a lot of fun, but can you slap a fool with magic then slice their face?

Velion

So my character from Naima just magically disappeared and i cant even create a char there so guess im moving to a new server for now.

Edit: And now queues so guess I wont be playing tonight.

Zero2kz

Timed it perfectly! Went out to eat with some friends. I queued up at 6:10, got home at 8:50 and I was 2nd in line.

Sweeeet.

Smiley90

So my character from Naima just magically disappeared and i cant even create a char there so guess im moving to a new server for now.

Edit: And now queues so guess I wont be playing tonight.

I've had that bug a couple times. Closing the game and re-opening made the characters reappear. Sadly, that sometimes includes re-queuing.

Velion

I've had that bug a couple times. Closing the game and re-opening made the characters reappear. Sadly, that sometimes includes re-queuing.
Tried but its actually gone, i'll just play on the latest server until transfers open up and are hopefully free.

Smiley90

Last time the game crashed for me right as the war was about to start. I logged back on and it was over. I felt sad. :(

Smiley90

Dang. Doing this Sharpwind Mines quests can net you some awesome loot.

it sure can. The Sword that drops I JUST replaced, and I'm lvl40 now. I used it all the way from 20 to 38 or so. It's just that good.

(if you get at least the Arcane rarity of it)

ZenVolta

it sure can. The Sword that drops I JUST replaced, and I'm lvl40 now. I used it all the way from 20 to 38 or so. It's just that good.

(if you get at least the Arcane rarity of it)

O.O Iv got it :D. Also picked up this bad boy
488aeb41ef.jpg

Edit: If anyones on Naima and wants to farm some loots at Sharpwind mines message me ingame, Zenvolta

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yes. You can buy "APEX" with ingame currency. 1 APEX atm goes for around 60 gold, I think? At least on Naima. And 60 gold is real easy to get. (like a week of light play and continuous spending for me). Youneed 2 APEX for 1 month of patron. (so saving ingame currency for a week or so should be good. maybe more as demand for APEX goes up)

I'm never great at figuring out the best way to make money in MMOs. I usually just do quests and combat and such

I've been playing this game, and I was in the first beta as a Nuian. Now i'm a Harani and im not sure if which was a better choice.

On another note, a friend and had a journey across the sea in a rowboat to get to the other continent.
Seabugs Happened.

K.Sabot

I like the music a lot in this game, pretty different from standard MMO osts imo.

Also moving people while they are reading quest text is a real problem.

ZenVolta

Just hit a full heroic set from Sharpwinds. But ending hitting the wall for how many runs you can do in a day so I cheated and bought my last accessory piece.

Tash

People on Eanna destroy the Apex prices..they are selling for 24g..for a month of patron..wth lol
On other news, I am 11.4k tailoring, woooo me. First time ever I am doing crafting stuff and don't feel like I am losing time leveling..
I guess I am going to stack up on those as well. Obviously way too many rich people on our server (rich as in rl..)

nataku

I like the music a lot in this game, pretty different from standard MMO osts imo.

Also moving people while they are reading quest text is a real problem.

The only music I don't like is the obnoxious music that plays when you are going through quest dialog. I really wish we could shut just that off.

EDIT: These daily restarts to get rid of AFKers in the morning during my play time are getting pretty infuriating. Kind of makes me paying for patron status pointless if I can never play during the week. It really makes me appreciate how amazing the GW2 servers are.

Ferrio

Banned
Put down a house plot. Found what I think is a great place. If I judged it right, only possible for one other house to be next to me. Right infront of the carriage place at the entrance of Gweonid Forest.

Holy fuck you need a ton of stone though.

timkunedo

Put down a house plot. Found what I think is a great place. If I judged it right, only possible for one other house to be next to me. Right infront of the carriage place at the entrance of Gweonid Forest.

Holy fuck you need a ton of stone though.

Yep that is a good spot. You are in between specialty benches in Lilyut Hills and Gweonid. Only downside is having to port or walk to either. There's a lot to be said about not having a lot of annoying neighbors.

You'll be mining A LOT. I think it took me a full week of mining to get 3k stone. You can buy some off the AH but it's expensive. Also burns 500 labor per pack. I finished mine in a week though and it is SOOOO worth the extra land.

Ferrio

Banned
So looking at skill calculators the highest level is 55 but not on the US servers. Do we have access to the level 55 skills?

Yep that is a good spot. You are in between specialty benches in Lilyut Hills and Gweonid. Only downside is having to port or walk to either. There's a lot to be said about not having a lot of annoying neighbors.

You'll be mining A LOT. I think it took me a full week of mining to get 3k stone. You can buy some off the AH but it's expensive. Also burns 500 labor per pack. I finished mine in a week though and it is SOOOO worth the extra land.

Does the area around your house become unbuildable by others once you complete it? If so what if they have something built there already?

timkunedo

Does the area around your house become unbuildable by others once you complete it? If so what if they have something built there already?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The farmhouse is a 24x24 spot. The land around your farmhouse is protected, but only after it is completed. It's unprotected until then. If you've already placed your structure no one can mess with it as long as you keep those taxes paid.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not sure I understand the question. The farmhouse is a 24x24 spot. The land around your farmhouse is protected, but only after it is completed. It's unprotected until then. If you've already placed your structure no one can mess with it as long as you keep those taxes paid.

How much land around it roughly? Just curious if someone can squeeze a house by it.

timkunedo

How much land around it roughly? Just curious if someone can squeeze a house by it.

They won't be squeezing in close. There's a good bit of land on both sides of the house. Enough to plant trees and stuff. Plus if you go to mirage island you can buy fence posts to put up around it. You won't be crowded for sure. If you had a regular house you could definitely get crowded in on.

How are the queues, ladies and gentlemen?

I checked about 30 minutes ago on Kyrios and I was only 160.

tariniel

Anyone have a friendly guild on Calleil? I just made a character there yesterday. I'm in the faction with humans and elves.

Not really looking for anything too serious, just to hang out and maybe ask questions and what not.

Ferrio

Banned
They won't be squeezing in close. There's a good bit of land on both sides of the house. Enough to plant trees and stuff. Plus if you go to mirage island you can buy fence posts to put up around it. You won't be crowded for sure. If you had a regular house you could definitely get crowded in on.

I'm confused I won't get squeezed on but I could get crowded in on?

Anyone have a friendly guild on Calleil? I just made a character there yesterday. I'm in the faction with humans and elves.

Not really looking for anything too serious, just to hang out and maybe ask questions and what not.

I'm an elf on that server.

nikos

Tried to play this game (I believe on Naima) for the last three days with no luck. Kept getting stuck in a 1500-3k person queue, only to be disconnected a few hours after waiting. Might try again tonight.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm confused I won't get squeezed on but I could get crowded in on?

The farmhouse uses the same footprint size as a medium house, the entire 24x24 is yours. The difference is the farmhouse ITSELF is only the size of a small house and the rest of the plot is yours to use for farming. The size of the grass is equivalent to a little more than a scarecrow farm (the big one) in terms of usable space but it goes around the outside with the house in the center so some trees are still too big to fit. So no matter what you'll always have some room between you and the next house even if they are butted right up against your plot.

Won

Built myself the farm cart today. Fuel is still expensive so I don't know how useful it will be, but it gives me a bit of flexibility, so I'm not stuck doing the Rookborne run over and over.

Vrrrooooom!

Einbroch said:
How are the queues, ladies and gentlemen?

They changed it that it favors patron more than before apparently. So I guess better or worse depending if you paid or not.

Smiley90

The farmhouse uses the same footprint size as a medium house, the entire 24x24 is yours. The difference is the farmhouse ITSELF is only the size of a small house and the rest of the plot is yours to use for farming. The size of the grass is equivalent to a little more than a scarecrow farm (the big one) in terms of usable space but it goes around the outside with the house in the center so some trees are still too big to fit. So no matter what you'll always have some room between you and the next house even if they are butted right up against your plot.

wait, really? -checks math-

16x16= 256
24x24 - 16x16 = 320

for reference, a small scarecrow = 8x8 = 64. tiny. Especially 'cause the actual scarecrow takes up a relatively large amount. I'm about to scratch my small scarecrow to craft a farmer's workbench.

shit son, you're right

NOW IF ONLY I HAD A PLACE TO PUT MY FARMHOUSE DOWN :'(

At least I have a 16x16. So many trees now. SO MANY TREES.

Top Bottom